• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• John Findlay

• luckyBatistuta

• Maroon Sailor

Seymour M Hersh

Norma Jean's in the Gallowgate. Went in with a few friends prior to the Hilsborough game v sellik and was horrible. Rebel flute band warming up to play plus the place was a dump. 

Went past The Galleon today and it looks a right shithole from the outside. Couple of jakeys tabbing up at the door

We talking The Galleon in Porty? Never been in but when I stayed there it always looked rough.

Locals always took great delight calling me a Hearts **** when I walked past with colours on.

Maroon Sailor

We talking The Galleon in Porty? Never been in but when I stayed there it always looked rough.

Locals always took great delight calling me a Hearts **** when I walked past with colours on.

Aye the one in Porty. Never heard of it myself but I looked across when I seen these 2 jakeys at the door of a shithole (on the outside anyway) then tried to work out what the place was called as the font is a bit radge - didn't want to stare at the name too long in case these 2 jakeys gave me abuse

The Royal Nip in Easter Road.

It was owned by a friend of mines Faither.

I used to refer to it as The Fly Tip.

Worked in there part-time while a student from March to July 1977, owned by my Dad's cousin, initials JG. Apart from guy who came in to clean beer delivery systems I was the only Jambo in the place - to cap it all Hearts were relegated that season as well! It had its moments but was nowhere near worst - JG also had Blazes in Duke Street and anyone barred was invited to drink there until his "sentence" was served! 2 buses left from there to Wembley for the famous match - come the Monday the place was awash with sellers of "genuine" Wembley turf and ludicrous stories of bravado and London prices (78p a pint vs the Nip's 30p)! Happy days .... (considered to be a cocktail)

Went in here once:

2retapt.jpg

The Rock Bar, Menzieshill, Dundee.  Went in to see if it was as bad as we thought it would be.  It was.

Never, ever again.

Aye the one in Porty. Never heard of it myself but I looked across when I seen these 2 jakeys at the door of a shithole (on the outside anyway) then tried to work out what the place was called as the font is a bit radge - didn't want to stare at the name too long in case these 2 jakeys gave me abuse

Had a peek in many times. Used to walk past it all the time. Looks nice enough inside but the clientele definitely are a bit rough.

Problem is, Niddrie doesn't have any pubs left, apart from Oman's at Peffermill, so pubs in Porty and Southside are regularly frequented by Niddrons.

Works for diageo?

Yep, used to work beside him before he went down to the cooperage.

chester copperpot

Sure Leigh Griffiths mum held the lease on the Galleon several years ago.

Remnants of Standards

Not really a 'pub'. The Doodle Bar, London (Battersea), now presumably defunct.

Awful house/techno, shots and alcopops, and the big gimmick was differently-coloured marker pens everywhere which you were allowed to use to draw whatever you wanted on the walls and tables.

Very Peep Show.

Super Hans the landlord?!

Went in here once:

2retapt.jpg

The Rock Bar, Menzieshill, Dundee.  Went in to see if it was as bad as we thought it would be.  It was.

Never, ever again.

Nice wee beer garden though.

Went in here once:

2retapt.jpg

Never, ever again.

I'd heard loads of stories about the Arctic Bar, wasn't that bad. Relatively speaking, any pub attached to a shopping centre is going to be crap.

Maroon Sailor

I'd heard loads of stories about the Arctic Bar, wasn't that bad. Relatively speaking, any pub attached to a shopping centre is going to be crap.

The Artful Dodger in Sighthill ?

Another sound example of my theory from what I've been told.

It's actually not a bad wee place. We went on a "shit pub crawl" last year and discovered that even the ones that look awful tend to be alright.

There's one up on Albert Street, I think it's called the Windsor, or something like that. It was the only one that was just as shit on the inside as it looked from the outside.

I P Knightley

There's always a way around things. :lol:

Brian wasn't 'hard' though. He thought he was.

Take it you knew Tristram?

I didn't. Back then, I wasn't too interested in getting to know the staff - just getting out with my mates for a laugh. I don't know why I ended up getting to know Brian. 

In fact, I think I've now made it to 50 years of age without ever (knowingly) knowing a person called Tristram.

Morningside was great place to drink in these days.

If you didnae get 'barred' from the Belly, Wee Bennets or the Cannies after a Derby you knew it wasn't a good night.

You couldn't get 'barred' from the Merlin if you tried. It was just 'that' sort of place.

Old Merlin or refurbished post-fire Meriln? I spent a fair amount of time in old Merlin. Lots of folk in leather (including a couple of tasty bursds) but they came across much more Watsonian than Hell's Angel. Them and a few old duffers. There may have been a couple of dust ups (I seem to recall a guy taking a tumble down the stairs from the function room above) but I wouldn't place it as a Wild West saloon. Think it was run by a Mrs Burns?

I've been in there. If that's the worst pub you've been in you've had a very sheltered life.

:gok: What a surprise.

Been in there a few times albeit quite a few years ago now. Not as bad as people said it was.

Samuel Camazzola

a99d6bd6171f28438e924315f80f17f1.jpg

Probably this place in Belfast or The Royal at Moredunvale. The Penny Black wasn't great either but it was fairly good fun at 5am so that brings it up a few points in the horrific pub leagues.

That looks one of the most grim places I could imagine and could picture Andy Goram being the first face you'd see in the place.

That looks one of the most grim places I could imagine and could picture Andy Goram being the first face you'd see in the place.

I was in there on a Friday night for a couple when we played Linfield pre season a few years ago, I personally found it fine, punters were friendly enough and there were quite a few Hearts fans in having a beer, no hassle at all.

John Findlay

Four in hand. Shite pub but I lost my cherry in there back in 1979. Best use of a pool table ever.

Alwayssunnyingorgie

Four in hand. Shite pub but I lost my cherry in there back in 1979. Best use of a pool table ever.

Bet the boy taking a shot got a fright :lol:

I P Knightley

Did you go for the pink or the brown?

(I know! Pool not snooker. You were clear on that one)

You didn't happen to be in an East End pub in 1990 during the world cup?

Bet the boy taking a shot got a fright :lol:

John was 'the boy taking a shot'.

:fing25:

Canny Man's. Run by a total ######..!!

Currently? Or the now deceased Watson Kerr?

Here's a photo of part of the Clock Inn in it's better days

attachicon.gifClock Inn2.jpg

the sighthill hearts bus ran from there, was a great bus. the clock sold pints good enough when waiting for bus

bajthejambo

In terms of rough, The Brunswick was an eye opener a few years ago. Walked in and there was some old jakey, who was topless and tied to a beam in the middle of the floor. There was also some old bird who looked like she was on Speed on tables in just her bra. It was only 4 O'Clock in the afternoon too.

Fox's in it's last incarnation was a total dive. Everything behind the bar had been bought/stolen from Lidl. My brother and myself were only in for one when passing and I can see why it closed again recently.

Also recall ending up in the Penny Black many years ago when I was 20. My mate got talking to a guy at the bar who claimed to be John-Paul Ferris' son. Neither of us had any reason not to believe him, but his pal brandished an axe wrapped in a blood soaked shirt just to confirm the claim. I've never left a pub quicker in my life.

Edited by bajthejambo

John Findlay

Did you go for the pink or the brown?

(I know! Pool not snooker. You were clear on that one)

You didn't happen to be in an East End pub in 1990 during the world cup?

No not in an East end pub back then. I potted the red only. At 16 I was far from complaining. She was 24. It was her present for me going away and joining the Royal Navy.

No not in an East end pub back then. I potted the red only. At 16 I was far from complaining. She was 24. It was her present for me going away and joining the Royal Navy.

:laugh4:

Section Q

Currently? Or the now deceased Watson Kerr?

A while since I've been in. Is he deid...?

A while since I've been in. Is he deid...?

He died four or five years ago.

His son and his wife now run the place.

Rab Mac52

You could be my dad! After all these years......

Loads of folk say that to John :whistling:

I didn't. Back then, I wasn't too interested in getting to know the staff - just getting out with my mates for a laugh. I don't know why I ended up getting to know Brian. 

In fact, I think I've now made it to 50 years of age without ever (knowingly) knowing a person called Tristram.

Old Merlin or refurbished post-fire Meriln? I spent a fair amount of time in old Merlin. Lots of folk in leather (including a couple of tasty bursds) but they came across much more Watsonian than Hell's Angel. Them and a few old duffers. There may have been a couple of dust ups (I seem to recall a guy taking a tumble down the stairs from the function room above) but I wouldn't place it as a Wild West saloon. Think it was run by a Mrs Burns?

Old and new Merlin.

Jean and Alistair?

John Findlay

Only if you were born sometime in May 1980:-0)

Friday lunchtime watering hole when I was a college student.

Across the dual carriageway was the Sighthill Hotel.When I worked for a disreputable Edinburgh security company they put the worlds unluckiest doorman on there.

if I remember right he got the sack (if thats the correct term) from the army,his poor old mum died and he got shot on the door all in the same week.

• 2 years later...
rudi must stay
On 27/04/2017 at 21:30, luckyBatistuta said:

Grew up in Morningside and it was a nightmare for my mates and I trying to get in. We used to sneak in the side door, but if he spotted us, he'd chuck us out. None of us were any trouble and never caused any bother in the pub, he just didn't like groups of young uns in the pub. He had this rule and that rule, you could do this, you could do that, because of the image he wanted to portray of the place. Yet he thought it was fine to have strippers on a Sunday and also fine to let us in then, which we did obviously even though we were still pissed from the night before.:facepalm:

I have worked there a few months and it feels like years, odd place. Nothing is below them and they actually pretty much blackmailed a few days ago

The Blue Bell in Gateshead. Meet a mate their once. Absolute shit hole, full of giro neds, toilets were smashed up, no toilet paper, those 2 are a real inconvenience when you are brusting on a shite.

crunchy frog
6 hours ago, TheStig said:

The Blue Bell in Gateshead. Meet a mate their once. Absolute shit hole, full of giro neds, toilets were smashed up, no toilet paper, those 2 are a real inconvenience when you are brusting on a shite.

The back room is full of Rangers flags and banners. It put me in mind of that father ted episode when the priest had  all the secret nazi memerobilia 😅

36 minutes ago, crunchy frog said:

The back room is full of Rangers flags and banners. It put me in mind of that father ted episode when the priest had  all the secret nazi memerobilia 😅

Never made it that far thankfully