Worst pub you've been in.

tweegy

Currently sitting in a pub in Middlesbrough, looks crap from outside but ok in, but what is the worst pub you've ended up in?

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• John Findlay

• luckyBatistuta

• Maroon Sailor

scottish_chicP

We went through to Love Street years ago for a game and ended up in this wee pub in Paisley. There were loads of Hearts fans in and you couldn't really move so the woman led us through a door behind the bar into what I can only describe as the world's smallest function hall, with no fire exit apart from through the bar and the place was covered in photos of wolves. Worst part was the banners and balloons were still up from someone's 21st the night before. That was an experience.

Currently sitting in a pub in Middlesbrough, looks crap from outside but ok in, but what is the worst pub you've ended up in?

Worst as in what?

Decor?

Staff?

Beer?

Atmosphere?

Toilets?

Just wanting to get a feel for this before I answer :thumb:

Worst as in what?

Decor?

Staff?

Beer?

Atmosphere?

Toilets?

Just wanting to get a feel for this before I answer :thumb:

The totality of all of the above morgan!

A pal and I were driving around in Europe few years ago and stopped in for lunch at a remote pub near Luxembourg City.  The place was busy, but as soon as we walked in the whole pub fell silent and everybody just stared at the two strangers.  

We decided not to eat, but just ordered two half-litres of beer.  We drank the beer quick, then went to the toilet before leaving.  The toilet was appalling, just like the pub toilet in Trainspotting.  I had to hold my breath to stop myself from gagging.

Couldn't wait to get back to Brussels.

The totality of all of the above morgan!

OK. Keeping to Edinburgh then:

The Penny Black.

The Western bar.

The Lorne bar.

The International bar at Tollcross.

The Lochrin Arms.

Not necessarily in that order :lol:

I P Knightley

East End of London, near Bow Road tube station. Frequented by all sorts of East End life which, back in the early 1990s was a extremely diverse. Front bar and back bar set up. Front bar had the telly, back bar had the pool table. Watching the 1990 World Cup (an England game that went to penalties), there were only two people in the back bar, a fat male and a fat female on the pool table. They weren't using it for pool. It was once of the worst sights I've ever witnessed.

Auld Reekin'

In London in '81 with a mate for the Wembley game. We were wandering around somewhere central looking for a likely spot for our first couple of pints when we saw a traditional-looking pub with a very Scottish name - can't remember what it was called, but it was something like "The Edinburgh Castle" or "The Strathspey Arms" or similar. We walked in, clocking the tartan carpets, wallpaper, and trimmings, Landseers "Stag at Bay" and portraits of Walter Scott and Burns on the walls, on the way in. Also noticeable was the large range of malt whiskies behind the bar. Walked up and ordered two beers.

"No Scots fans allowed...", was the response.

:muggy:    :facepalm:    :cussing:    :banghead2:

A loyalist huns pub in Cambuslang before the league cup final a few years back. Had no idea what it was before entering. Walked out after about 10 minutes, mid-pint.

Flute bands, pictures of the queen on all the walls, "up to our knees" bunting above the bar, the lot. Vile.

East End of London, near Bow Road tube station. Frequented by all sorts of East End life which, back in the early 1990s was a extremely diverse. Front bar and back bar set up. Front bar had the telly, back bar had the pool table. Watching the 1990 World Cup (an England game that went to penalties), there were only two people in the back bar, a fat male and a fat female on the pool table. They weren't using it for pool. It was once of the worst sights I've ever witnessed.

:rofl:

:lol:

been here before

No idea what it was called but it was in Glossop, or Glossop on the High Peak to give it its Sunday name.

Real Slaughteted Lamb from American Werewolf In London stuff.

Edited by been here before

Ended up in a RAF pub in, I think but it was a few years ago, Kinloss near Elgin? We were up there on a fishing trip.

Anyway I digress. It was a bit of a shit hole and we were camping close by. Ended up being "befriended" by some of the locals and playing pool, drinking into the early hours. The local pool champion was a girl. Well she was a big girl is a more accurate description. My mate ended up taking her back to the tent to sink the pink. 

He was brave but to be honest I don't think he had any choice in the matter!

A wee pub in Leeds. The second we walked in we knew we were getting ****** off. Everybody stared at the 4 strangers and when one of us ordered in a round the lassie behind the bar put her head down and muttered "you've had too much, so I can't serve you". It was our second drink of the night. One helpful local kicked the door open for us to leave with a stupid little grin on his face.

Obviously the local haunt for all the social inadequates.

******* weirdos!

Edited by iantjambo

North Berwick Jambo

Nothing comes close to one special boozer I lived near a good few years ago in Newlyn in Cornwall. The Swordfish Inn is by far the most frightening & unbelievable pub I have ever been in. It sits right on the harbour in the town & is a regular for trawlermen coming back from sea after many days. These guys usually walk off the boat loaded & go straight to the bar for a full on sesh. I realised straight away the landlord had no say over the place as he was so intimidated by the crazy drug fuelled deckhands everyday. Everyone would openly skin up & snort lines on the tables, ignore last orders & deliberately lock themselves in, The local police were shit scared to go anywhere near the place so these guys knew they could get away with it. The puggy was bolted to the wall & all the tables & chairs bolted to the floor to stop them being used as weapons. Even the ashtrays were screwed to the table. I saw folk go flying through the windows on to the street, a guy so off his nut he was sitting naked on the roof in the rain playing the saxophone. It was normal to go past early in the morning & find a few of them asleep on the pavement or the road as they couldn't make it any further. A few years after I left the area I saw a documentary called Britains worst boozer & guess what got a mention?

2mins into the video

;)

Edited by Ibiza Jambo

Dublin 1988 - after we'd beaten St Pat's 2-0. Walking back to the city centre through the Northside (this was before Temple Bar etc was redeveloped - Dublin was a total dump, especially the Northside) - it was a warm summer evening.. It came on a heavy shower and we headed for the nearest hostelry. Huge long bar. Boarded up windows, no tables, only nailed down bench seats against the walls. Gantry was totally plywood. The only thing on it were 2 X 40 ouncers - 1 whisky, 1 vodka. It had 1 Guinness tap and 1 Harp Lager tap. The half dozen or say locals stared at us in silence as if we were an invading army. One of my mates asked for a Bacardi & Coke and they fell about laughing. So Guinness all round. Got chatting, couldn't have been nicer.

...a bit disco

A loyalist huns pub in Cambuslang before the league cup final a few years back. Had no idea what it was before entering. Walked out after about 10 minutes, mid-pint.

Flute bands, pictures of the queen on all the walls, "up to our knees" bunting above the bar, the lot. Vile.

Which one was that?

There's a few round there!

Which one was that?

There's a few round there!

Couldn't tell you. Was up some side alley off the main street. Was probably more a "social club" than a proper pub.

3fingersreid

Before the ICT cup final at Easter rd ( the one we won ) went into the Albion bar , what a shit hole

Pint of Guinness, served with no head on top and it looked liked a pint of black cider , didn't stop my mate drinking it tho

The Raby in Byker has to be one of the worst pubs i have been in.

Social misfits coming out the disgusting stained walls, blood stains on the carpet from years gone by and fat Geordie women fighting.

The Clachan in Whitburn is up there too.

Nothing comes close to one special boozer I lived near a good few years ago in Newlyn in Cornwall. The Swordfish Inn is by far the most frightening & unbelievable pub I have ever been in. It sits right on the harbour in the town & is a regular for trawlermen coming back from sea after many days. These guys usually walk off the boat loaded & go straight to the bar for a full on sesh. I realised straight away the landlord had no say over the place as he was so intimidated by the crazy drug fuelled deckhands everyday. Everyone would openly skin up & snort lines on the tables, ignore last orders & deliberately lock themselves in, The local police were shit scared to go anywhere near the place so these guys knew they could get away with it. The puggy was bolted to the wall & all the tables & chairs bolted to the floor to stop them being used as weapons. Even the ashtrays were screwed to the table. I saw folk go flying through the windows on to the street, a guy so off his nut he was sitting naked on the roof in the rain playing the saxophone. It was normal to go past early in the morning & find a few of them asleep on the pavement or the road as they couldn't make it any further. A few years after I left the area I saw a documentary called Britains worst boozer & guess what got a mention?

2mins into the video

;)

I'd love to have a pint in there :lol:

London road tavern outside parkhead, a good few years back we played Rangers in semi at Parkhead got through early pub was empty apart from a tramp out of it sitting in his own piss in the corner and what looked like Rab C Nesbitt serving behind the bar. Pub soon filled up one side Hearts and other Rangers :)

We went through to Love Street years ago for a game and ended up in this wee pub in Paisley. There were loads of Hearts fans in and you couldn't really move so the woman led us through a door behind the bar into what I can only describe as the world's smallest function hall, with no fire exit apart from through the bar and the place was covered in photos of wolves. Worst part was the banners and balloons were still up from someone's 21st the night before. That was an experience.

That was the last game of the relegation season. We were in the very same bar. It was cheap as chips tho. But the beer was warm so we switch to shorts...iirc they were about 1.50 a go! It was miles from the ground tho!

Geoff the Mince

Pub in Sarajevo at bottom of high rise flats ,

In Edinburgh Tipplers and The Clock Inn (old mans local)

North Berwick Jambo

I'd love to have a pint in there :lol:

You drive and i'll buy the beer   :)

I have no idea what the place is like now but i dont imagine that it has changed that much. If anyone is actually brave enough to check it out in future just avoid all eye contact and dont mention the french, spanish etc lol. :)

Geoff the Mince

Also some Shiite hole at the bottom of The Falls Road Belfast .

Friendly barman assumed I was Celtic , couldn't exactly tell him I was Hearts .

The Cleveland arms in redcar is something. There's also a bar in Stirling called the claymores. Been in a couple of times as it does 35ml shorts. Police outside every weekend though.

When I first met my wife, she was working in a pup in Greenock called The Regal, across the road there was a wee pup called The Green Oak, now that was a dangerous place!!! Not only did it sell Buckfast from Optics behind the bar, if you asked they'd sell in half pints!!

The Royal Nip in Easter Road.

It was owned by a friend of mines Faither.

I used to refer to it as The Fly Tip.

The Clock Inn was bad. Last time I was in there was after a game v. Celtic in the early '90's. Mate and I bumped into Bernie and Rover in Dalry Road later that evening and popped in. Didn't stay long. Mostly local Celtic fans drank there according to BB. Left before the fight that was coming our way.

The Pop Inn, Portobello. It was virtually on our doorstep about 15/16 years back and went in for a late drink once. Total 5h1tehole populated by Niddrie Hibs fans.

Shanks said no

Sounds a bit like the Alamo in Paisley which is one of my favourite away pubs because its so odd. First time we were led through to the function room there someone suggested it was Joseph Fritzels basement.

Hairy Nugget

Many years ago just round the corner from Kings Cross think it was called Flying Scotsman.Dump of a place with sawdust on the floor, unfriendly locals with some of the scariest strippers ever seen!!

white hoose, when you get your pint from a cut out in the perspects you know its no for the faint hearted

gunner

good companions

the good old days before wimmen were aloud in, they got worse when the ban was lifted

20 years ago these were all shitholes

ferryboat is grim these days

Edited by reaths17

A pub in Vauxhall called The Queen Anne. A London landmark owned by a well known London Gangster's sister. Before they danced the girls came round with an old Hamlet cigar tin and you were obliged to drop in a pound. My mate dropped in five 20p pieces at which point he was advised that if they didn't add up to a pound she'd stab him. That and getting searched for firearms before entering ensured we only stayed for a couple. Pub gone now.........shame!

The Louden tavern at Ibrokes. Bizarrely great Guinness but populated by hardcore bigots. Probably the most unhygienic place I've been for a pint.

How did they know who was on next?  Money on the table or initials on a blackboard?

The Railway tavern in the Pans would take some beating.

Its awful

Bar staff are disinterested

Lager is crap

Decor is bogging

Bogs are bogging

Time warp of a pub (circa 1988 feel).

A known poster on here drinks there but hes not been on this thread yet so I cant name him. I would be interested in his take on the matter.

Edited by Pans Jambo

Bridge of Djoum

The Black Dog, Brixton.

Canny Man's. Complete bell-ends from wall to wall.

Strattties, a ****** hovel.

Any chain pub, anywhere.

Village Inn, down the Fort. 

Bridge of Djoum

The Cutter in Weymouth

What a cesspit

I recall that place.

Also, some of the boozers on Union Street in Guzz were...... interesting. The Twigs, Boobs, Blondes.

Great days.

Albion Bar. Utter hovel!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you mean the Albion Bar in Stirling, I once ordered 2 pints of Tennants and received an odd amount of change?? Are they operating half pennies in there!!

Not really a 'pub'. The Doodle Bar, London (Battersea), now presumably defunct.

Awful house/techno, shots and alcopops, and the big gimmick was differently-coloured marker pens everywhere which you were allowed to use to draw whatever you wanted on the walls and tables.