Players we should be looking at in the summer

Tynecastlesmychurch

Tynecastlesmychurch

Apologies in advance for the poor spelling and grammar just rushed through this as quick as I could and didn't go over it!

I think next season Hamilton needs someone genuinely pushing him. This season I think it's right that he's played all our games. But next season he should be taken out if he's in poor form over a number of games.

I would bring in Alan Mannus as back up to Jack. He's out of contract in the summer and would certainly improve us strength and depth wise.

At Center back I'd keep Hughes and bring in Berra. If that genuinely is an option ovcourse he could stay with ipswich but If it's true that he wants to come back then I'd happily have a choice of Berra, Hughes, Souttar and Nowak for our Centre Back places.

I'd look to loan Liam Smith out to a championship club next season maybe Falkirk? I think he's certainly good enough to play consistently at that level and I think he needs consistent game time. I don't think he'll get that with us yet. So I'd keep Struna. And maybe bring in someone like Caddis. Again out of contract in the summer and imo he would make a very good addition to the squad. Also worth looking at Ziggy Gordon as he's a talanted player think he's only 24 and out of contract in the summer too.

At LB personally I'd keep Reherras and bin the other two. I don't think Reherras has done anything wrong but he's obviously not fancied for what ever reason and I can see him going in the summer hopefully for at least a modest transfer fee. But probably for nothing. So we need to bring in two left backs. I'd look at Mark Russell at Morton. He's only 21 and looks a really good prospect and again out of contract in the summer. But he wouldn't be my first choice at left back I'd probably look at someone more experienced. Maybe Joe Mattock from Rotherham? He's at a good age at 26. Or maybe even Luke Leahy at Falkirk? I've always been impressed every time I've seen him and again both out of contract.

I'm not ITK but I reckon Djoum will be sold in the summer and probably Kitchen as well. Not based on anything but my own opinion. And I just have a feeling they'll both be away. Shame if that's the case as they're both fantastic players when they turn up.

I've said plenty of times I'd love us to go for Crawford at Hamilton think he's a fantastic wee player pacey, good range of passing both short and long. Very good at taking free kicks. Seems to score a fair few of them! Has one year left on his deal so he would cost a bit of money but imo definitely worth it. I think we can all agree we need a real powerhouse in midfield it was painfully obvious against hibs when Bartley was their absolutely bossing our midfield all about the place that we needed a beast in midfield to brake up the play of the opposition. Not a player that will play every game but certainly when we need to win the battle first he'll play his part. And I'd probably go for someone like Rohan Ince. Been on loan at Swindon Town in league 1 this season but out of contract at his parent club Brighton. Also just a thought but I'm told by my friend that sadly suffers from the affliction known as celtic supporter syndrome that Scott Alan is likely to be released next season. Worth a punt maybe? Cathro knows him his range of passing and creativeness he showed at Hibs was certainly very impressive. And I know that was in the championship but Jamie Walker, Callum Paterson and Osman Sow were all outstanding both in the championship as will as the premireship. And I would point out that he was actually pretty decent when he was given games at celtic. Not outstanding but he hardly played and it was painfully obvious celtic bought him as a **** you to rangers! (Also I've seen in the hibsman that Tziolis isn't staying another reason for looking at Alan imo)

We need more options out wide and probably even more so if Nicholson does go in the summer. At least we will get a development fee of up to 500k for him. I'd love if McGinn were to come to us and I suppose theirs still a slight chance. But he's probably off to England. However I reckon we could actually go for a better option in Marly Watkins. Only 26 and out of contract at Barnsley in the summer. Has electric pace and is an out and out winger. Somthing we've needed this season. I'd also look at Michael O'Halloran. He wants out of his contract at rangers I think that's been clear for a while now! And although hes been poor at rangers. I think it's worth remembering that he was out of form when they bought him and he didn't get a lot of chances under Warburton. But maybe a fresh start could really help him. He does have pace to burn, an eye for goal and can play wide or upfront too. GMS looks like he's on his way out at Celtic in my view depending on wages and ovcourse how much celtic would want for him if they did want anything at all I think he'd be a good signing. We know that our DOF likes to look at the European market so maybe someone like Mathias Autret an out and out Left winger. His contract with Lens runs out in the summer. He's not got the best goal scoring record but does have lots of pace (love me some pace!) and is aparantly good at putting in crosses too. Again somthing we've needed more of this season!

Upfront im very happy with Goncalves and although Johnsons form has taken a sharp nose dive over the last month. I think it's worth remembering that he's a very talanted player skilful and quick. Needs to toughen up a bit but over time I think that will come. And if it doesn't then that's why you need to have options. And we've been linked with Liam Boyce a reliable goal scorer (until he signs for us probably!) He's strong and has good positional discipline (something our forward players have lacked this season imo) so he should always be an option around the oppositions box. I'd bring in another striker as well. We need cover, depth and competition so maybe Danny Ward at Rotherham. Again out of contract. Or maybe we could try and get Stevie May on loan. I would loan out Currie to a league 1 club think he'd manage that level. Don't think Sammon will be with us next season again just my own feelings not heard anything from anyone I just think he'll be off!

No doubt people will disagree about what we should do in the summer. But I think we can all agree I've been playing football manager for too long!

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good post. I would say that offering Hughes a contract (which I believe we will) is a mistake. The reason is we really don't want someone who is injured most of the season and it's looking like that may be the case. A settled defence is paramount for next season.

Also I'd not be unhappy if we got money for Djoum or/and Kitchen. Both have had a terrrible season and it's just not good enough and to have a Groundhog Day next season would be hell. Goncalves and Johnson should stay and I also agree that Jack needs some competition (although unlike many on here I have total faith in the lad and he's going to get better with age)

sairyinthat

Good post. I would say that offering Hughes a contract (which I believe we will) is a mistake. The reason is we really don't want someone who is injured most of the season and it's looking like that may be the case. A settled defence is paramount for next season.

Also I'd not be unhappy if we got money for Djoum or/and Kitchen. Both have had a terrrible season and it's just not good enough and to have a Groundhog Day next season would be hell. Goncalves and Johnson should stay and I also agree that Jack needs some competition (although unlike many on here I have total faith in the lad and he's going to get better with age)

You saying we shouldn't be offering Patterson a contract due to injury?

You saying we shouldn't be offering Patterson a contract due to injury?

That's not really what I meant and I do hope you know that. Patersons injury is quite different. Given Hughes age injuries can often be more frequent and take longer to recover from. That is all

Howdy Doody Jambo

Boyce,Caddis,Berra,Whitaker,Jack would be great signings

This we must sign solid pros who know the script

Get rid of the 3 left backs and spend their wages on one quality signing

sairyinthat

That's not really what I meant and I do hope you know that. Patersons injury is quite different. Given Hughes age injuries can often be more frequent and take longer to recover from. That is all

I know you did not mean that but you take away the fact that Hughes is a solid steady defender a type we really need imo.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Suarez, Messi, Ronaldo, Bale, Sergio Ramos and Dele Alli.

I think we would win the league

I know you did not mean that but you take away the fact that Hughes is a solid steady defender a type we really need imo.

Absolutely. Not doubting that whatsoever all I was giving was my opinion that we need a settled back line and that given his age and probably earning a fair few bob it's not worth the risk (especially if we sign Berra).

You are joking.........I hope........his last club was in India and that should have told you all you need to know

Total waste of money as I told you all he would be.

Time to cut the ties with him and others.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

You are joking.........I hope........his last club was in India and that should have told you all you need to know

On fitness, but not ability

No better than what we have

Tynecastlesmychurch

Agree with you about Jack. I'm a big fan of his and I'm certain over the next couple of years he will be in the frame to be the Scotland number 1 fantastic shot stopper but needs to work on his distribution and coming for cross balls. Also if that's the case with Hughes then what about having him as a player coach and maybe keeping Avlonitis? Or maybe going for someone like Devlin from Hamilton?

Leeds & Lazio

Great OP. Really interesting names. We need a mass clear out to free up budget. But assuming a major overhaul is allowed then quite a few names I'd suggest.

Goalie first. Bain obvious as a Jambo but not convinced by goalies under 6ft. Think Mannus is a shout but also Rogers on loan to Falkirk from Aberdeen. Been solid for a while.

Centre half is an area where we've a soft centre. We were always horrendous for other forwards with guys like Slim, McLaren, Bruno, Pressley, Webbie. But now? Who worries about facing Hughes and Souttar? Would like to see us think properly about Lindsay at Thistle and Devlin at Hamilton. But also break the bank to get that Celtic centre half on loan at Killie, Ajer. 6ft5 and strolls most games. Certainly the last one against us.

Agree Russell at Morton for left back but also Murray Wallace at Scunthorpe. Left sided centre half but could cover full back and add height to the team.

Right back Devlin at Ayr has pace and aggression. Their captain. Definitely ready for a higher level. If we're looking at a Paterson replacement as a right back/ midfielder I know Spittal at Utd was decent and linked with Hull. Wouldn't judge him playing in a lower league too much. Think all at Utd have suffered.

Break the bank time. But Jack at Aberdeen would be a coup. Would have loved Tansey too as a combative double act. Agree guys like Bartley have went unchallenged by our soft centre again.

Further up midfield. Sibbald must be a shout. On Colquhoun's agency's books. Mallan at St Mirren too. Still gutted we didn't get McGinn from them.

Winger? Not seem much of Jones at Killie but looks miles too good for them. And left sided always good. A Neil McCann type.

Up front Boyce definitely. Wighton at Dundee another on Colquhoun's books. Was highly rated youngster but needing to push on with new challenge.

But again. Need to move lots on first...

Tynecastlesmychurch

Great OP. Really interesting names. We need a mass clear out to free up budget. But assuming a major overhaul is allowed then quite a few names I'd suggest.

Goalie first. Bain obvious as a Jambo but not convinced by goalies under 6ft. Think Mannus is a shout but also Rogers on loan to Falkirk from Aberdeen. Been solid for a while.

Centre half is an area where we've a soft centre. We were always horrendous for other forwards with guys like Slim, McLaren, Bruno, Pressley, Webbie. But now? Who worries about facing Hughes and Souttar? Would like to see us think properly about Lindsay at Thistle and Devlin at Hamilton. But also break the bank to get that Celtic centre half on loan at Killie, Ajer. 6ft5 and strolls most games. Certainly the last one against us.

Agree Russell at Morton for left back but also Murray Wallace at Scunthorpe. Left sided centre half but could cover full back and add height to the team.

Right back Devlin at Ayr has pace and aggression. Their captain. Definitely ready for a higher level. If we're looking at a Paterson replacement as a right back/ midfielder I know Spittal at Utd was decent and linked with Hull. Wouldn't judge him playing in a lower league too much. Think all at Utd have suffered.

Break the bank time. But Jack at Aberdeen would be a coup. Would have loved Tansey too as a combative double act. Agree guys like Bartley have went unchallenged by our soft centre again.

Further up midfield. Sibbald must be a shout. On Colquhoun's agency's books. Mallan at St Mirren too. Still gutted we didn't get McGinn from them.

Winger? Not seem much of Jones at Killie but looks miles too good for them. And left sided always good. A Neil McCann type.

Up front Boyce definitely. Wighton at Dundee another on Colquhoun's books. Was highly rated youngster but needing to push on with new challenge.

Agree with a lot of the names you've got and wouldn't mind having Souttar, Nowak, Lindsay and Devlin as a group of Center backs! A lot of potential in that group! But I feel we need experience as well really like the look of Ajer too! But the only way we can spend more then let's 400k in total on transfer fees in the summer is if 1 we clear the decks we could be freeing up as much as 30k a week in wages by getting rid of all 3 of our left backs Avlonitis, Tziolis, Sammon, Paterson, Nicholson as well loaning players out and ovcourse if we were to sell players like Djoum and Kitchen as I believe we will. Maybe 30k is a bit of a high estimate but you get my point!

2 transfer fees. Well need to try and maximise them for whoever we sell. Even if that means just the development fees for guys like McGhee, Paterson, Nicholson, King etc.

3 also Season tickets if we could pass the 14k+ mark we set this season that would help the club massively. I really do believe if the club anounced some of the transfers early then this would help.

As an Aberdeen fan don't think we'd give up Rogers, espeically not to a rival team in our division. From what I've heard he's meant to be challenging Joe Lewis for the number 1 jersey. Wouldn't mind loaning him to you as I think he needs top level experience and I don't think he'd get enough game time with us next season

Elias Henry Furst

:rofl:

On fitness, but not ability

Not these days....he has had his time and sad to say he got a little final pay day from us..lets not give him another

He did nothing in his few games with us to show he has anything left

I honestly cannot understand those who see a player in him nowadays..he has played against first division sides  for most of his matches and not impressed...managed to give Celtic a goal against us though

Tynecastlesmychurch

Not these days....he has had his time and sad to say he got a little final pay day from us..lets not give him another

I honestly cannot understand those who see a player in him nowadays..he has played against first division sides  for most of his matches and not impressed...managed to give Celtic a goal against us though

Who would you sign instead?

Rotherham have a 12 month option on Danny Ward. He'll cost a few mil.

They also have a good MF in Jon Taylor but he has 2 years left on his contract (unless relegation changes that).

Elias Henry Furst

I honestly cannot understand those who see a player in him nowadays..he has played against first division sides for most of his matches and not impressed...managed to give Celtic a goal against us though

You're like a dog with a bone.

Easily our best centre half.

Your ignorance knows no bounds.

Leeds & Lazio

As an Aberdeen fan don't think we'd give up Rogers, espeically not to a rival team in our division. From what I've heard he's meant to be challenging Joe Lewis for the number 1 jersey. Wouldn't mind loaning him to you as I think he needs top level experience and I don't think he'd get enough game time with us next season

Aberdeen have done well to end up with 2 goalies of this standard but you'll struggle to keep both. I don't think Aberdeen would loan or sell to us. Bit wishful on my part. One will go south.

alicante jambo

I would like us to go after gray of hibs.That boy plays with the heart and some on here say hes a jambo.We need a couple of fast players in our midfield and some fighters.Walker/djoum/nicholson arent fighters.Stefan scougal will be released by sheff utd id have him in the midfield nice left foot and not scared to get stuck in.He has a good work attitude always looking for the ball.Dare i say it mcginn from hibs i would take in a minute.Our midfield needs someone like him.

So, you think the arrogant Levein is going to do a u-turn from using his agent pals and bringing in players from the Dutch/Belgium 3rd division.

Leeds & Lazio

Agree with a lot of the names you've got and wouldn't mind having Souttar, Nowak, Lindsay and Devlin as a group of Center backs! A lot of potential in that group! But I feel we need experience as well really like the look of Ajer too! But the only way we can spend more then let's 400k in total on transfer fees in the summer is if 1 we clear the decks we could be freeing up as much as 30k a week in wages by getting rid of all 3 of our left backs Avlonitis, Tziolis, Sammon, Paterson, Nicholson as well loaning players out and ovcourse if we were to sell players like Djoum and Kitchen as I believe we will. Maybe 30k is a bit of a high estimate but you get my point!

2 transfer fees. Well need to try and maximise them for whoever we sell. Even if that means just the development fees for guys like McGhee, Paterson, Nicholson, King etc.

3 also Season tickets if we could pass the 14k+ mark we set this season that would help the club massively. I really do believe if the club anounced some of the transfers early then this would help.

It also comes down to the wage ceiling and ambition. I get the whole careful after admin thing. But our wages per player are closer to Hamilton's than Aberdeen's. That can't be right.

The other difficulty we'll have are the 3 year deals we've handed out. Might just have to right off Oshaniwa. No fee just get him off the salary bill. Sammon maybe a swap for Jones. And that Blackpool one. Who knows. We're no exactly going to be fighting off offers.

Expensive mistakes.

McGhee, Paterson and Nicholson might all see transfer income of ?1.5m in development fees. Would hand the lot to the manager, if the manager wasn't Cathro.

The Internet

More foreigners? No thanks. Scottish players who have played in the spl only please.

More foreigners? No thanks. Scottish players who have played in the spl only please.

:) Hibs players would bully all of these guys.

Bazzas right boot

Only if we keep kitchen has a holding midfielder.

He'd bring balance to that team.

Think Suarez and Sammon would be a good top 2.

Tynecastlesmychurch

I would like us to go after gray of hibs.That boy plays with the heart and some on here say hes a jambo.We need a couple of fast players in our midfield and some fighters.Walker/djoum/nicholson arent fighters.Stefan scougal will be released by sheff utd id have him in the midfield nice left foot and not scared to get stuck in.He has a good work attitude always looking for the ball.Dare i say it mcginn from hibs i would take in a minute.Our midfield needs someone like him.

Grey is (or was) a Jambo was he not in a our youth set up? Nothing wrong with admiring good players even if they play for hibs. Have to take my hat of to them they've got a solid core built from their first season in the championship. I would be surprised If Cummings wasn't sold I'm told rangers are very interested in him as well as McGinn.

Gorgie_Rules

Getting Berra in as captain would be a great bit of business. I can't really see it happening but would get many of the fans encouraged for next season. Boyce is a non-starter due to the fee.

I haven't seen much of him outside of playing us, but Murray Davidson of St Johnstone always impresses me. He tore us apart the 3-0 game at Tynecastle and fits the busy centre midfield type we have been crying out for the past couple of seasons.

Perhaps him specifically isn't the answer, but there is certainly merit in looking to pick players from clubs that are getting a fraction of the gates we are in this league. Previous successes include Hartley, Black, Barr, Grainger, Webster, Pressley etc

Tynecastlesmychurch

It also comes down to the wage ceiling and ambition. I get the whole careful after admin thing. But our wages per player are closer to Hamilton's than Aberdeen's. That can't be right.

The other difficulty we'll have are the 3 year deals we've handed out. Might just have to right off Oshaniwa. No fee just get him off the salary bill. Sammon maybe a swap for Jones. And that Blackpool one. Who knows. We're no exactly going to be fighting off offers.

Expensive mistakes.

McGhee, Paterson and Nicholson might all see transfer income of ?1.5m in development fees. Would hand the lot to the manager, if the manager wasn't Cathro.

I get the point about the wages but we still do have to be cautious when negotiating what we pay players. Wages probably will rise modestly next season. We just need to get our recruitment right this summer.

*Tin hat on*

Okay,

Current Squad

I wouldn't keep any of the 6 month deal players bar Hughes. None of them have impressed me despite their international caps except I think Hughes is worth keeping if he is interested in getting into coaching and having a peripheral role (i.e Centreback options would be in order, Berra, Souttar, Novak, Hughes). Nicholson and Paterson seem keen to leave but if we could manage to keep either or both that would be great. I'd have Paterson as vice captain. Buaben does enough and is contracted anyway.

Johnson and Djoum if we could sell I'd be keen for that. 

Previous Players

In my opinion we've lost our edge as a club and a pretty poor attitude is festering. We need to address this and the only proactive way I can see of addressing this is by getting players in who care about the club and will play for the jersey. Berra seems a certainty to come back so he to my mind would be coming in as captain. I think Hamilton isn't quite ready and MacDonald seems like he would be easy to pry from Killie. He's not getting his game and I think its probably due to an appearance bonus being due. He'd further shore up our defence.

Ian Black. Our players need a kick up the arse and I think Blackie would be an excellent signing. He knows the league and is capable of playing football when he wants. He'd be coming in as a squad player to add some aggression and accountability when things go wrong. 

Promising Youngsters

Souttar and Walker and both great but outside of them we seem to have a gap. Most of our youth prospects are 16! so there is a real need to get some 19-23 year olds who can play regularly. I'd go for Craig Sibbald first. As mentioned his contract is expiring so would only be due a development fee, exactly what that would be is anyone's guess but he'd bring some of what we need in attack.

Mark Russell, Seems like the solution to our left back woes! He's young promising and certainly more worth while spending time on than our current incumbents. Think he's also out of contract, so again, a development fee would be due.

Stevie Mallan, Like my previous suggestions its hardly a unique suggestion. Can score goals but not out of contract (I believe?) so would be more expensive than the other 2.

Others 

I don't have any knowledge of foreign markets really so this is harder. I'd be inclined to look at SPFL and English Championship. For me, Goncalves is going to be a great goal scorer but he's not a lone CF. We need someone like Connor Sammon who can hold the ball up, but actually score too. My first suggestion would be Liam Boyce but transfrmarkt says he's contracted to 2018 so would probably require a substantial fee (Unless we could convince them to take Sammon + Cash -lol). If this isn't possible I'd try Kyle Lafferty. I don't really like the guy, but he would be quality at this level. He's available on a free and is 29 so not finished just yet. He'd probably be much more expensive in terms of wages than anyone so that would probably be a stumbling block. An affordable free transfer would be Billy Mckay (anyone notice all my options are northern irish? :D weird)  Steven Whittaker is another name folk are mentioning and he is a Jambo right? I think having another experienced head would be excellent and would give Smith more time to develop (could rotate). I think wages could be an issue though, but at 32 perhaps a longer contract and the security that would bring would be preferable?

Starting 11

MacDonald

Whittaker Souttar Berra Russell

Kitchen Cowie

Sibbald

Walker Lafferty Goncalves

Bench: Noring, Smith, Hughes, Black, Mallan, Currie

It may not be the prettiest team but I don't think anyone could question the commitment and desire from the players. With the added bonus we get to hate on Lafferty every week :P. I do think it is maybe missing something in midfield. 

Tynecastlesmychurch

Getting Berra in as captain would be a great bit of business. I can't really see it happening but would get many of the fans encouraged for next season. Boyce is a non-starter due to the fee.

I haven't seen much of him outside of playing us, but Murray Davidson of St Johnstone always impresses me. He tore us apart the 3-0 game at Tynecastle and fits the busy centre midfield type we have been crying out for the past couple of seasons.

Perhaps him specifically isn't the answer, but there is certainly merit in looking to pick players from clubs that are getting a fraction of the gates we are in this league. Previous successes include Hartley, Black, Barr, Grainger, Webster, Pressley etc

Boyce will have 1 year left on his contract next season and if we were to go in for him I think he'd want the move to happen. We will pay fees for players as long as it's within reason.

I'd love us to start with Christophe Berra and Ryan Jack. Make them captain and vice captain. Then get a goalie, left back, centre mid, left winger and probably two centre forwards. Liam Boyce would be good upfront and I like the look of Kilmarnock's young left back, Greg Taylor (I think).

Also really depends on who we lose. Callum Paterson is away so we will need a right back. If Whittaker is available that would be a great signing, but very much doubt that will happen. I know we were looking at Devlin from Ayr.

I reckon most of our signings will be overseas, sadly.

Tynecastlesmychurch

*Tin hat on*

Okay,

Current Squad

I wouldn't keep any of the 6 month deal players bar Hughes. None of them have impressed me despite their international caps except I think Hughes is worth keeping if he is interested in getting into coaching and having a peripheral role (i.e Centreback options would be in order, Berra, Souttar, Novak, Hughes). Nicholson and Paterson seem keen to leave but if we could manage to keep either or both that would be great. I'd have Paterson as vice captain. Buaben does enough and is contracted anyway.

Johnson and Djoum if we could sell I'd be keen for that. 

Previous Players

In my opinion we've lost our edge as a club and a pretty poor attitude is festering. We need to address this and the only proactive way I can see of addressing this is by getting players in who care about the club and will play for the jersey. Berra seems a certainty to come back so he to my mind would be coming in as captain. I think Hamilton isn't quite ready and MacDonald seems like he would be easy to pry from Killie. He's not getting his game and I think its probably due to an appearance bonus being due. He'd further shore up our defence.

Ian Black. Our players need a kick up the arse and I think Blackie would be an excellent signing. He knows the league and is capable of playing football when he wants. He'd be coming in as a squad player to add some aggression and accountability when things go wrong. 

Promising Youngsters

Souttar and Walker and both great but outside of them we seem to have a gap. Most of our youth prospects are 16! so there is a real need to get some 19-23 year olds who can play regularly. I'd go for Craig Sibbald first. As mentioned his contract is expiring so would only be due a development fee, exactly what that would be is anyone's guess but he'd bring some of what we need in attack.

Mark Russell, Seems like the solution to our left back woes! He's young promising and certainly more worth while spending time on than our current incumbents. Think he's also out of contract, so again, a development fee would be due.

Stevie Mallan, Like my previous suggestions its hardly a unique suggestion. Can score goals but not out of contract (I believe?) so would be more expensive than the other 2.

Others 

I don't have any knowledge of foreign markets really so this is harder. I'd be inclined to look at SPFL and English Championship. For me, Goncalves is going to be a great goal scorer but he's not a lone CF. We need someone like Connor Sammon who can hold the ball up, but actually score too. My first suggestion would be Liam Boyce but transfrmarkt says he's contracted to 2018 so would probably require a substantial fee (Unless we could convince them to take Sammon + Cash -lol). If this isn't possible I'd try Kyle Lafferty. I don't really like the guy, but he would be quality at this level. He's available on a free and is 29 so not finished just yet. He'd probably be much more expensive in terms of wages than anyone so that would probably be a stumbling block. An affordable free transfer would be Billy Mckay (anyone notice all my options are northern irish? :D weird)  Steven Whittaker is another name folk are mentioning and he is a Jambo right? I think having another experienced head would be excellent and would give Smith more time to develop (could rotate). I think wages could be an issue though, but at 32 perhaps a longer contract and the security that would bring would be preferable?

Starting 11

MacDonald

Whittaker Souttar Berra Russell

Kitchen Cowie

Sibbald

Walker Lafferty Goncalves

Bench: Noring, Smith, Hughes, Black, Mallan, Currie

It may not be the prettiest team but I don't think anyone could question the commitment and desire from the players. With the added bonus we get to hate on Lafferty every week :P. I do think it is maybe missing something in midfield.

Love the look of that front line! With Sibbald just behind! The back line looks tough, no nonsense and over all solid! Can see Souttar learning a lot from them. But the midfield still looks a bit light and although Cowie puts himself about you do have to factor in his age! At some point in the season he's going to need rested. And While I would have Black back at Hearts it would be as a coach (I'd also have Locke back in a coaching role! Bet the boys wouldn't lack the fight with them pushing them on) I wouldn't have Black as a player he lacks mobility nowadays! And it would mean Kitchen would have to turn up every game and I just can't see that happening. Again love the front line and Mallan can rotate with Sibbald but again just think the midfield is too light weight.

Love the look of that front line! With Sibbald just behind! The back line looks tough, no nonsense and over all solid! Can see Souttar learning a lot from them. But the midfield still looks a bit light and although Cowie puts himself about you do have to factor in his age! At some point in the season he's going to need rested. And While I would have Black back at Hearts it would be as a coach (I'd also have Locke back in a coaching role! Bet the boys wouldn't lack the fight with them pushing them on) I wouldn't have Black as a player he lacks mobility nowadays! And it would mean Kitchen would have to turn up every game and I just can't see that happening. Again love the front line and Mallan can rotate with Sibbald but again just think the midfield is too light weight.

Yeah my initial thinking was Kitchen as ball winner and get Cowie to play it out. Someone mentioned Murray Davidson and I think he is the missing link. He's a tough ball winner but can also play football. i.e Davidson and Kitchen/Cowie/Mallan. Of course the only problem with my selection is it relies on Lafferty, Whittaker and Berra as the experienced heads all of which would be very expensive wage wise - Lafferty especially but if we could bite the bullet and get him on a year deal with the intention of putting himself in the shop window we could go for Boyce on a precontract for the following season. When I think of Black its in a Buaben type role - called on when needed. His personality/character/passion would be what we would be paying for. If he could double as a coach for youngsters that would also be good.

Tynecastlesmychurch

On the subject of Boyce. Some people seem to think that the price may be a stumbling block. I'd say that he's only got one year left of his contract and we could maybe offer Riley and King as well as money? No doubt if that was the case both players would come back to haunt us. Would anyone keep King?

Dusk_Till_Dawn

It's nice to see JKB in optimistic mode, even though the odds say our first signing will be someone who we've never heard of and has never heard of us

Finlay James

Apologies in advance for the poor spelling and grammar just rushed through this as quick as I could and didn't go over it!

I think next season Hamilton needs someone genuinely pushing him. This season I think it's right that he's played all our games. But next season he should be taken out if he's in poor form over a number of games.

I would bring in Alan Mannus as back up to Jack. He's out of contract in the summer and would certainly improve us strength and depth wise.

At Center back I'd keep Hughes and bring in Berra. If that genuinely is an option ovcourse he could stay with ipswich but If it's true that he wants to come back then I'd happily have a choice of Berra, Hughes, Souttar and Nowak for our Centre Back places.

I'd look to loan Liam Smith out to a championship club next season maybe Falkirk? I think he's certainly good enough to play consistently at that level and I think he needs consistent game time. I don't think he'll get that with us yet. So I'd keep Struna. And maybe bring in someone like Caddis. Again out of contract in the summer and imo he would make a very good addition to the squad. Also worth looking at Ziggy Gordon as he's a talanted player think he's only 24 and out of contract in the summer too.

At LB personally I'd keep Reherras and bin the other two. I don't think Reherras has done anything wrong but he's obviously not fancied for what ever reason and I can see him going in the summer hopefully for at least a modest transfer fee. But probably for nothing. So we need to bring in two left backs. I'd look at Mark Russell at Morton. He's only 21 and looks a really good prospect and again out of contract in the summer. But he wouldn't be my first choice at left back I'd probably look at someone more experienced. Maybe Joe Mattock from Rotherham? He's at a good age at 26. Or maybe even Luke Leahy at Falkirk? I've always been impressed every time I've seen him and again both out of contract.

I'm not ITK but I reckon Djoum will be sold in the summer and probably Kitchen as well. Not based on anything but my own opinion. And I just have a feeling they'll both be away. Shame if that's the case as they're both fantastic players when they turn up.

I've said plenty of times I'd love us to go for Crawford at Hamilton think he's a fantastic wee player pacey, good range of passing both short and long. Very good at taking free kicks. Seems to score a fair few of them! Has one year left on his deal so he would cost a bit of money but imo definitely worth it. I think we can all agree we need a real powerhouse in midfield it was painfully obvious against hibs when Bartley was their absolutely bossing our midfield all about the place that we needed a beast in midfield to brake up the play of the opposition. Not a player that will play every game but certainly when we need to win the battle first he'll play his part. And I'd probably go for someone like Rohan Ince. Been on loan at Swindon Town in league 1 this season but out of contract at his parent club Brighton. Also just a thought but I'm told by my friend that sadly suffers from the affliction known as celtic supporter syndrome that Scott Alan is likely to be released next season. Worth a punt maybe? Cathro knows him his range of passing and creativeness he showed at Hibs was certainly very impressive. And I know that was in the championship but Jamie Walker, Callum Paterson and Osman Sow were all outstanding both in the championship as will as the premireship. And I would point out that he was actually pretty decent when he was given games at celtic. Not outstanding but he hardly played and it was painfully obvious celtic bought him as a **** you to rangers! (Also I've seen in the hibsman that Tziolis isn't staying another reason for looking at Alan imo)

We need more options out wide and probably even more so if Nicholson does go in the summer. At least we will get a development fee of up to 500k for him. I'd love if McGinn were to come to us and I suppose theirs still a slight chance. But he's probably off to England. However I reckon we could actually go for a better option in Marly Watkins. Only 26 and out of contract at Barnsley in the summer. Has electric pace and is an out and out winger. Somthing we've needed this season. I'd also look at Michael O'Halloran. He wants out of his contract at rangers I think that's been clear for a while now! And although hes been poor at rangers. I think it's worth remembering that he was out of form when they bought him and he didn't get a lot of chances under Warburton. But maybe a fresh start could really help him. He does have pace to burn, an eye for goal and can play wide or upfront too. GMS looks like he's on his way out at Celtic in my view depending on wages and ovcourse how much celtic would want for him if they did want anything at all I think he'd be a good signing. We know that our DOF likes to look at the European market so maybe someone like Mathias Autret an out and out Left winger. His contract with Lens runs out in the summer. He's not got the best goal scoring record but does have lots of pace (love me some pace!) and is aparantly good at putting in crosses too. Again somthing we've needed more of this season!

Upfront im very happy with Goncalves and although Johnsons form has taken a sharp nose dive over the last month. I think it's worth remembering that he's a very talanted player skilful and quick. Needs to toughen up a bit but over time I think that will come. And if it doesn't then that's why you need to have options. And we've been linked with Liam Boyce a reliable goal scorer (until he signs for us probably!) He's strong and has good positional discipline (something our forward players have lacked this season imo) so he should always be an option around the oppositions box. I'd bring in another striker as well. We need cover, depth and competition so maybe Danny Ward at Rotherham. Again out of contract. Or maybe we could try and get Stevie May on loan. I would loan out Currie to a league 1 club think he'd manage that level. Don't think Sammon will be with us next season again just my own feelings not heard anything from anyone I just think he'll be off!

No doubt people will disagree about what we should do in the summer. But I think we can all agree I've been playing football manager for too long!

Some interesting names in here. Our recent recruitment suggests that we won't see any of these seemingly obvious players at Hearts but then AB did say recently that our policy would change this summer so we will wait and see.

I'd be excited if Liam Lindsay, Mikey Devlin, Craig Sibbald, Stefan Scougall and Liam Boyce ended up at Hearts. Boyce in particular would do for this team what Sandy Clark did in the 80's.

Tynecastlesmychurch

Yeah my initial thinking was Kitchen as ball winner and get Cowie to play it out. Someone mentioned Murray Davidson and I think he is the missing link. He's a tough ball winner but can also play football. i.e Davidson and Kitchen/Cowie/Mallan. Of course the only problem with my selection is it relies on Lafferty, Whittaker and Berra as the experienced heads all of which would be very expensive wage wise - Lafferty especially but if we could bite the bullet and get him on a year deal with the intention of putting himself in the shop window we could go for Boyce on a precontract for the following season. When I think of Black its in a Buaben type role - called on when needed. His personality/character/passion would be what we would be paying for. If he could double as a coach for youngsters that would also be good.

Really like your thinking with Davidson as well. If you add Boyce and Watkins to that squad and personally I'd swap Noring for Hamilton and I'd have Hamilton as number 1 with Mcdonald on the bench. I get what your saying about Black maybe as a player coach.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I would like to see us quality Portuguese like Bruno Aguiar and Jose Goncalves. They had real quality

Archived