General Election

Don Dan

Space Mackerel

You really know how to make yourself look childish.

Remember though...

Now is not the time.

Politics is not a game.

Get on with the day job. 

:)

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SwindonJambo

The debt is ?1.8 TRILLION.

The deficit is about ?70-80 BILLION.

You're correct about the debt. The deficit is much less though : ?52bn projected with 11months' data in and just March to get.

Scotland's was ?15bn for 2015-16. Still awaiting credible unbiased evidence of your ?9bn figure.

Remember though...

Now is not the time.

Politics is not a game.

Get on with the day job.

:)

Oh adult thoughts something the SNP are devoid of

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Space Mackerel

You're correct about the debt. The deficit is much less though : ?52bn projected with 11months' data in and just March to get.

Scotland's was ?15bn for 2015-16. Still awaiting credible unbiased evidence of your ?9bn figure.

I'll let you decide

b7b896848704a1ab06c5d843ca1506bb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Exactly the kind of misplaced confidence that will look silly come 09/06. They'll lose 10+ seats easily.

:rofl: even if they did it would still be 46 seats. What labour used to get post red Tory.

You can quote all the stats you want it doesn't change the fact this general election is like no other. It's union v independence. That's how 95% of Scotland will view it. Deficits debts the nhs schools etc matter little right now.

It's simple, a vote for the SNP will be viewed as a vote for independence or at least a cast iron guarantee indyref2 is coming. Vote for anyone else and it's a vote for the union.

Clearly there's some well informed types on here but it's a waste of your intellect as it boils down to a straight up fight between Yes and No.

Shiting it.

Pissing masel mair like. Tory May has miscalculated, she's a total liar. Single market a must, no election til 2020 etc...

No TV debates on her parties record and the hypocrisy of denying a Scottish Independence because it was just over 2 years ago, when the GE was 7 months after it.

Debt at ?1.8t, deficit at ?69b, cuts galore, privatisation of the NHS, no school funding, hard Brexit, War, money wasted on Trident renewal, sell off assets, more privatisation, and taking it up the are fae Trump.

It's more than possible that the SNP will lose some seats.

After all, it's pretty hard to keep 56 out of 59 seats for any party.

But then, who will those seats go to?

Scottish Labour? They have nothing to offer and are an empty space where a political party should be. Might possibly get a glasgow seat or two.

LibDems? A total irrelevance. Maybe take a couple of the highlands seats.

The Tories? Hard brexit, permanent austerity, selling off the NHS, bonfire of employment rights in the pipeline. Aye but wee moothy Ruthie shouts loud at FMQ's each week eh but no? Farmers in their traditional rural borders seats are raging at their EU subsidies being put at risk.

I reckon SNP will still end up on 50-ish.

SNP have Farron with the short and curlies about coalition with the Tories.

Vote done in Parliament.

As expected election confirmed for 8 June.

Had to vote cos Parliament made 5 years set time and had to vote to override that.

Whopping majority in favour and Sturgeon standing shot gun over the free thinkers :lol:

2 MPs who voted against having an election were the SNP MPs suspended for alleged possible wrongdoing Natalie McGarry and Michelle Thomson.

Maybe their situations will be resolved soon.

2 MPs who voted against having an election were the SNP MPs suspended for alleged possible wrongdoing Natalie McGarry and Michelle Thomson.

Maybe their situations will be resolved soon.

Both have been cleared. You better concentrate on the 20 Tories going to prison for corruption and fraud.

Whopping majority in favour and Sturgeon standing shot gun over the free thinkers :lol:

She's the FM, SNP leader and saviour of Scotland. On yer knees and beg for forgiveness, traitor.

WTF are those two thinking about there? If either plans to stand as an independent then a bit of rebelious grandstanding isn't going to play well. You would think that pair would keep a low profile. Cheerio, ta ta and good riddance.

Both have been cleared. You better concentrate on the 20 Tories going to prison for corruption and fraud.

Yeah

Both suspended SNP MPs are quietly being deselected/ replaced for the June election.

But formerly the SNP National Executive Committee making a decision on their 2 suspended MPs at the weekend.

Just guessing they voted today to get themselves some publicity before this and maybe help their cases.

Yeah

Both suspended SNP MPs are quietly being deselected/ replaced for the June election.

But formerly the SNP National Executive Committee making a decision on their 2 suspended MPs at the weekend.

Just guessing they voted today to get themselves some publicity before this and maybe help their cases.

And the Tory thieves?

And the Tory thieves?

Missed what I've said previously then.

So what about declining education standards under the SNP in government for 10 years if we're answering points with questions on other subjects.

She's the FM, SNP leader and saviour of Scotland. On yer knees and beg for forgiveness, traitor.

And has no active part in day to day Westminster politics. Sturgeon is a control freak and a camera hunter they are the only reasons she made a mad dash to London. Abandoned her duties to govern Scotland to be seen on tv and news media. She makes her deputy leader look inept and impotent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Captain Sausage

And yet another political thread goes down the swanny thanks to two or three idiots who are so entrenched in their views that they just post inane pish and ignore anything which contradicts their point.

The internet is ideal for these people as they don't have to answer the questions they don't like, only responding where they have a comeback.

It's incredibly tiresome and pointless as it just turns people off the debate completely.

FWIW, I think Brian Dundas' post early was spot on. I can see both sides of the coin for May. If she picks up a few more seats, she'll be protected going into the Brexit negotiations. To me, this is actually a good thing as it gives the government a united voice (albeit the voice of May) which means we will be stronger and hopefully get a better outcome from the clusterf*** that is Brexit.

I respect Corbyn for standing up to the challenge, but I think he is utterly deluded about how well supported he is. His support is very, very vocal (much like independence), but the numbers just aren't there. I think Labour will hold on to a majority of their seats but I guess the Tories are expecting to steal a few Labour and UKIP seats while keeping their own.

I'm not sure May particularly cares about the Scottish vote as many on here do, but if she were to add an 'anti-independence' clause into her manifesto, it'd be interesting to see how it affected the vote share up here.

The flip side to that is that the Lib Dems (or Labour for that matter) could propose a reversal of Brexit. I've no idea around the legalities of this (maybe triggering article 50 is non reversible?!) but it would again be interesting to see how that affected the vote share up here and down south.

I don't see how UKIP will match their performance at the last GE. Conservatives should be able to capitalize and pick up seats there, but Labour/LDs could potentially get some too.

Anyhow, that's probably far too many coherent(ish) sentences for a kickback politics thread.

Captain Sausage

Yep the thread is now a nightmare to read.

I think the Lib Dems need to position themselves as Pro EU and that they will reverse article 50, they could then gain back some seats they lost last time. Labour are going to lose seats, Corbyn just is not electable to middle England and his MPs are so divided many are going to lose their jobs, some seats are safe though, but how many? I expect the UKIP vote share to go down significantly and those votes will go to the Tories.

In Scotland it is really all about the turn out of Yes voters for the SNP, if indyref2 has re-invigorated the support then the Maths makes it impossible for the other parties, but if this is one election too far then they will lose maybe 10 seats.

One thing that should happen is the Lib Dems change their candidate for Orkney and Shetland.

Good points. Lived in Shetland for a couple of years until 2015, there is a lot of local support for Carmichael. It would be very interesting if Lib Dems positioned themselves as Brexit redacters as so much of the northern isles livelihood is fishing dependent. That could put him in a spot of bother.

I suppose that a majority of the 'Yes vote' will vote SNP and, like you say, it makes it near impossible for any other party to compete. However, some voter malaise combined with the proposition of 'no indyref2' from the Tories may be enough to steal some seats from the SNP, but I doubt it'd do enough to make much difference.

I just don't see May as being particularly interested in the vote up here - the SNP are incredibly strong and probably the most disciplined party so I doubt she expects to see much change up here. Points toward it being more about securing more seats down south to allow a smoother passage through Brexit.

Captain Sausage

I'm not so sure Carmichael will still be popular up there, time will tell.

I agree that May doesn't care about Scotland and how we vote.

Saw something interesting on BBC, suggestion that David Miliband might make a comeback. Could be interesting.

I just can't see Corbyn relinquishing control before the general election. He clearly believes steadfastly in his policies but polling suggests that while he may be attractive to a segment of the core Labour vote, he is not voteable to most of the general public.

If Corbyn resigned and Labour got a halfway viable candidate, I think it would turn the GE on its head. With Corbyn at the helm, I just don't see Labour making any in roads, and I suspect that's what has driven May to pull this snap election.

Adam Murray

I just can't see Corbyn relinquishing control before the general election. He clearly believes steadfastly in his policies but polling suggests that while he may be attractive to a segment of the core Labour vote, he is not voteable to most of the general public.

If Corbyn resigned and Labour got a halfway viable candidate, I think it would turn the GE on its head. With Corbyn at the helm, I just don't see Labour making any in roads, and I suspect that's what has driven May to pull this snap election.

Probably too short a space of time before the GE for anyone to come in for Labour to make any kind of difference, on the off chance that Corbyn would resign. May well be a few with aspirations of the top job, but will probably bide their time in the hope that Corbyn would fall on his sword in the wake of a heavy defeat in June.

Space Mackerel

Hopefully most the EU folks will have jumped on the SNP bandwagon up here now given the state down South, that should mitigate any Tory supposed bouncebackabilty that several posters seem that's going to happen.

Tory vote share in Scotland; UK general elections
1983: 28.4%
1987: 24.0%
1992: 25.6%
1997: 17.5%
2001: 15.6%
2005: 15.8%
2010: 16.7%
2015: 14.9%

Moothy Ruthie bounce?

:gok:

Zero evidence of that.

• Moderators

A timely reminder that abusive behaviour and trolling won't be tolerated. Several posts have been removed and some of the contributors will be hearing from us. Keep it civil please. If you can't manage that please stay off the political threads. Thanks.

Space Mackerel

Tory vote share in Scotland; UK general elections

1983: 28.4%

1987: 24.0%

1992: 25.6%

1997: 17.5%

2001: 15.6%

2005: 15.8%

2010: 16.7%

2015: 14.9%

Moothy Ruthie bounce?

:gok:

Zero evidence of that.

Glorious reading that.

And remember, she campaigned in 2016 with her vote for me to keep the Union and send a clear message to the SNP nonsense.

She's gonna get 5-1'ed, but this time it will be 10.

Mooth could do with being clamped to be fair. The self congratulations for becoming the 2nd biggest party at Holyrood was quite bemusing. Only achieved as a result of the list votes and the total absence of any credible narrative from Labour and Libdem. The slightly biggest irrelevant party behind one fit for purpose party. Well done Mooth.

maroonlegions

Usual response from you Spacey. You're about as politically informed as legions.

Feck off, political informed, one does not to have a fecking degree in politics to see a corrupt system or politician. 

If you were paying attention to one of my posts you would know that i am not that informed as some on here and have also stated that i would not trust one politician  with my TV remote never mind my future.

Nice cheap dig by the way.  :beatnik2:

Good points. Lived in Shetland for a couple of years until 2015, there is a lot of local support for Carmichael. It would be very interesting if Lib Dems positioned themselves as Brexit redacters as so much of the northern isles livelihood is fishing dependent. That could put him in a spot of bother.

I suppose that a majority of the 'Yes vote' will vote SNP and, like you say, it makes it near impossible for any other party to compete. However, some voter malaise combined with the proposition of 'no indyref2' from the Tories may be enough to steal some seats from the SNP, but I doubt it'd do enough to make much difference.

I just don't see May as being particularly interested in the vote up here - the SNP are incredibly strong and probably the most disciplined party so I doubt she expects to see much change up here. Points toward it being more about securing more seats down south to allow a smoother passage through Brexit.

I suspect she's 50/50 about Scotland. If SNP sweep the board as per the last election nothing really changes. If they do lose seats then she's won a watch. A double whammy of a smooth(er) passage through Brexit and a stick to beat down indyref2 with. Or as has been suggested there's a no indyref2 in their manifesto then an even larger stick to beat them with.

It's almost a similar scenario to Brexit for the Nats. Win and they stay in Europe lose with a huge remain vote in Scotland and it's auto pilot to indyref2.

maroonlegions

Seems strange that someone who got upset about an implication they were thick would then go on to claim intellectual superiority just a short while later .....

must be another one of your clever jokes ! :2thumbsup:

Seems strange that someone who finds some getting upset about being called thick does so  with an air of intellectual smugness a while later.

Must be one of your clever trolls. :2thumbsup:  

Hopefully the SNP will  fight the campaign on their excellent utterly sh**te  policies on health and education. Somehow I think not.

Space Mackerel

Hopefully the SNP will fight the campaign on their excellent utterly sh**te policies on health and education. Somehow I think not.

Is it the SNP's fault that the Health and Education systems are just as ****ed down South aye?

Is it the SNP's fault that the Health and Education systems are just as ****ed down South aye?

Except they aren't

Deflect deflect deflect

He was not talking about England he was talking about Scotland.

Which they have control over

Space Mackerel

Except they aren't

You sure? You really, really sure? No junior doctor strikes happened and patients stacked up in the wards corridors? :lol:

The Mighty Thor

Mooth could do with being clamped to be fair. The self congratulations for becoming the 2nd biggest party at Holyrood was quite bemusing. Only achieved as a result of the list votes and the total absence of any credible narrative from Labour and Libdem. The slightly biggest irrelevant party behind one fit for purpose party. Well done Mooth.

Did Mooth even win the seat she stood in?

Or did she slink in the back door of list votes?

As far as mouthpieces for the Scottish branch of the self-servatives goes she is particularly irritating whilst retaining the absolute ineffectiveness of many of her predecessors.

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

Space Mackerel

Deflect deflect deflect

He was not talking about England he was talking about Scotland.

Which they have control over

But but but, we are just a region, a parish of the Greater UK, we are too wee, too stupid, too poor to do anything about it?

Arnold Rothstein

Feck off, political informed, one does not to have a fecking degree in politics to see a corrupt system or politician. 

If you were paying attention to one of my posts you would know that i am not that informed as some on here and have also stated that i would not trust one politician  with my TV remote never mind my future.

Nice cheap dig by the way.  :beatnik2:

You're very defensive. It's not my fault you've come on a thread giving opinions and are called out for being ill informed. 

Arnold Rothstein

Except they aren't

Let's play along and say they are. Why does that make the SNP's record any more defensible? 

Thunderstruck

"So, Ms Sturgeon, what are your priorities for government?

Ms Sturgeon - "Independence, Independence, Independence."

The country is crumbling around it but the drones, they don't see it. All they want is independence - freedom at any cost and, ironically given their anti-Tory frothing, to hang with the poor, the infirm, the young, and the elderly - they'll just have to grin and bear it. Shameful stuff.

maroonlegions

You're very defensive. It's not my fault you've come on a thread giving opinions and are called out for being ill informed. 

Not my fault that you ignore the fact that it was ME who called myself out by first by  admitting i am not as informed on politics as some on here.

Your trolling is getting rather tedious but you knew that already when you posted the above shotite.  :2thumbsup:

HaymarketJambo

Bin this clown on June 8:

C9zE-98XsAI0IoJ.jpg

Keep them coming.

You are doing a great job for the SNP.  

Trapper John McIntyre

Keep them coming.

You are doing a great job for the SNP.  

So good they lost the last two referendums. 

Meanwhile in Holyrood this year, no Bills were passed..

HaymarketJambo

So good they lost the last two referendums. 

Meanwhile in Holyrood this year, no Bills were passed..

But the SNP have won 3 Holyrood Elections in a row.

Keep them coming. 

Archived