General Election

Don Dan

Thunderstruck

Well DC guaranteed EU membership, so all bets are off.

Don't divert - is it still "supposedly"? Might you have been wrong?

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She and her party are rank hypocrites. The lamenting language regarding those bad opposition parties who wont just roll over and give a Brexit blank cheque is an afront to democracy. She even debased the entire Westminster democratic system by dismissing the House of Lords input with the "unelected" jibe.

It's always noticeable how easily that democracy is maligned when it suits. The irony being that her own distain at the perceived undemocratic behaviour of her opponents has resulted in her taking a giant dump on democracy.

She knows how hard a job she has to get the Brexit deal through the houses. She already has a majority in the commons but she can't rely on her own party to be united to pass the deal. She needs a bigger majority to mitigate the fact that Tory rebels wont vote with her... so she blames everyone else for not being united.

They wont unite behind us at Westminster she wails. Why should they? The Tories did everything possible to minimise the input of anyone else. There is no non-Tory input into the process and negotiations. So take your unity and shove it up your hole.

The Mighty Thor

This will go one of two ways. Either Corbyn will pull off a miracle in leadership debates and become the "Nick Clegg" of 2017 or Labour will be writing their last will and testament with an opportunity for the Lib Dems to supplant them.

Tipping the latter.

I agree that this will probably spell the end of the labour party in its current format.

It won't be the lib dems though. Perhaps well finally see the emergence of an electable party that's not the ****ing tories.

May will get a huge mandate and we'll all suffer another 5 years of little Englander jingoism fuelling a vindictive tory party with no opposition whatsoever.

It'll be shitter than the thatcher years.

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

Don't divert - is it still "supposedly"? Might you have been wrong?

Doctored

She and her party are rank hypocrites. The lamenting language regarding those bad opposition parties who wont just roll over and give a Brexit blank cheque is an afront to democracy. She even debased the entire Westminster democratic system by dismissing the House of Lords input with the "unelected" jibe.

It's always noticeable how easily that democracy is maligned when it suits. The irony being that her own distain at the perceived undemocratic behaviour of her opponents has resulted in her taking a giant dump on democracy.

She knows how hard a job she has to get the Brexit deal through the houses. She already has a majority in the commons but she can't rely on her own party to be united to pass the deal. She needs a bigger majority to mitigate the fact that Tory rebels wont vote with her... so she blames everyone else for not being united.

They wont unite behind us at Westminster she wails. Why should they? The Tories did everything possible to minimise the input of anyone else. There is no non-Tory input into the process and negotiations. So take your unity and shove it up your hole.

Not to mention the investigations into electoral fraud regards expenses at the last general election.

This governments majority is possibly based on fraud! What mandate was there then for the initial brexit referendum and this general election?

If this happened in say Turkey, we'd all be cocking an eyebrow!

A disdain for democracy indeed.

I agree that this will probably spell the end of the labour party in its current format.

It won't be the lib dems though. Perhaps well finally see the emergence of an electable party that's not the ******* tories.

May will get a huge mandate and we'll all suffer another 5 years of little Englander jingoism fuelling a vindictive tory party with no opposition whatsoever.

It'll be shitter than the thatcher years.

Fair points

One thing. Don't assume the end of any party. People have said this about Labour before 1930s, 1980s.

Conservatives been in government majority of time. But Labour keeps coming back. Might be another 10 years but more likely they will.

Not to mention the investigations into electoral fraud regards expenses at the last general election.

This governments majority is possibly based on fraud! What mandate was there then for the initial brexit referendum and this general election?

Yep. Fully agree. This is a multi-strand afront to electoral process. Absolutely rancid.

The 14 police forces investigating fraud by the Tories at the last election are now under pressure to release their findings and begin arresting the cheating swines.

One angle being covered by Channel 4 (as above).

Up to 20 odd Tory MPs could be charged with 2015 election fraud. Resources put in not counted as local spending. Election law says could be forced to re run the individual elections.

Suppose a general election solves that.

Up to 20 odd Tory MPs could be charged with 2015 election fraud. Resources put in not counted as local spending. Election law says could be forced to re run the individual elections.

Not really, given they are part of the process to call it!

It may turn out we have a fraudulent government in charge, doing their best to try to legitimise it.

Forgot about this. Majority gone, call an election.

The CPS are set to go for a hitlist of 30 Tories in the next few weeks over the 2015 election.

This could blow a hole in the Tory campaign like the FBI did to Clinton.

A few thoughts otherwise:

1. Scotland: This election is not ideal for the SNP or independence movement overall. The SNP have had a few bloody noses with some newly elected MPs of late. McGarry and Thomson are still suspended from the party and could affect results in their seats.

Equally, despite the FM saying today she won't make it about independence she cannot help but make it about it given her announcement a few months back. They will lose seats. Not a huge number but they will experience a bloody nose. The main beneficiaries in some areas will be for Labour, some LibDems (Edinburgh West for example) and some will back the Tories.

It totally shatters the local elections as they become a proxy and testing ground for the parties in Scotland.

Sturgeon has been blind sided by this. I think she's (and SNP HQ) took no snap vote on face value. That much is clear from their response today.

2. UKIP will get nowhere. Aaron Banks and Nuttall might win their seats but will do so in Brexit seats and from Tories.

3. Farron will lead the Lib-Dems into a decent position by sneaking seats off both main parties. But it will be a decent night for the LibDems.

4. No TV debates is great. It's a parliamentary election with local candidates. Not presidential. It's good they won't be happening.

5. Labour. I can't see this going well. Corbyn will lead Labour into a bad place. Will try and hang on in the aftermath and then follows a second bloody leadership race post vote. He will set the manifesto, lead the campaign and therefore will own the result.

Who knows on June 9th we could have a hung parliament based on the CPS and police investigations into The Tories.

No debates. No. Lady not for turning, blah rhubarb.

It's a wonder she hasn't announced a Tory only debate.

Or could blow open the election.

"Look the Tories are corrupt... vote for us".

Any other Labour leadership may well take good advantage of this. We will need to wait and see.

Libdem tosspot playing the gane of trying to scran the next biggest fish. Attacking Corbyn instead of a wholly corrupt Tory racket.

I reckon May thought about what Sturgeon's response after Easter recess was going to be and assumed she might do a walk out of parliament. I reckon this snap election has got in there before Sturgeon could announce her own news tomorrow. Seems to be a little war between the two of them to upset the other with something unexpected.

Hopefully it doesn't backfire and we end up with a corbyn lead coalition of idiocy.

CavySlaveJambo

I have heard suggestions that this fraud is exactly why the election is called

Shanks said no

From twitter - now taken down

Liz McInnes MP

Theresa May, the unelected Prime Minister has just ruined the day of my poor mum's funeral. She was poor working class so not important

maroonlegions

Theresa  Mays voting record.   :whistling:

18010434_437281289950597_632830890182505

Just your friendly neighbourhood Tory. :laugh4:

:evil:

From twitter - now taken down

Liz McInnes MP

Theresa May, the unelected Prime Minister has just ruined the day of my poor mum's funeral. She was poor working class so not important

What did May do to ruin her mum's funeral? Call an election? How the **** does that ruin her mum's funeral?

maroonlegions

Tory election fraud, love it.

Snakes and slippery vultures that attract  similar  minded supporters of the same ilk, in it for themselves, Selfservatives  is an apt name for them. 

Snakes and slippery vultures that attract similar minded supporters of the same ilk, in it for themselves, Selfservatives is an apt name for them.

Selfsevatives? No,ML, just c...s.

Riddley Walker

Snakes and slippery vultures that attract  similar  minded supporters of the same ilk, in it for themselves, Selfservatives  is an apt name for them. 

Ach well, at least we'll get rid of them at Holyrood after June 8th.

Space Mackerel

What's that got to do with the point he's making?

Arnie, I know you love me but you're a bit keen now, less is more, stop following me about this forum so much, I might reciprocate faster [emoji8]

Back to your point, he's talking pish.

Arnold Rothstein

Arnie, I know you love me but you're a bit keen now, less is more, stop following me about this forum so much, I might reciprocate faster [emoji8]

Back to your point, he's talking pish.

Usual response from you Spacey. You're about as politically informed as legions.

Space Mackerel

Usual response from you Spacey. You're about as politically informed as legions.

Let me do the chasing Arnie for once. :)

The Guardian calling democracy a coup.

:lol:

This comic never ceases to amaze me these days.

Pe1Le1T.jpg

Pe1Le1T.jpg

It's true, Erdogan style.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Pe1Le1T.jpg

Anne Perkins is an idiot but still not as bad as Polly Pishtalker.

SwindonJambo

You kind have to assume that the Conservative's own polling aligned with others show UKIP are busted, there is no sign of a major bounce back for the Lib Dems and Labour are going to lose seats to them, except for the safe seats they have. So an increased majority is the strong favourited outcome.

Therefore they should put No indyref2 in their UK wide manifesto, it would allow them to use the UK wide mandate to say the people of the UK want it to stay together, it will fit well with pro British campaign they are likely to run. Also it could help galvanise the Unionists vote in Scotland and push them up in a few of the seats the SNP might struggle to hold. It would certainly help Ruth in any debate that might happen up here.

Sure it will push the hard Yes vote a bit higher, but does that matter if you aren't having a referendum?

Just something I thought of tonight, but doubt I'm not the first to think of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good objective post. There are all sorts of sub plots and possible consequences of this. It's clearly an attempt to gain a stranglehold on Westminster while the opposition there is very weak. In Scotland they will make a play for No voting SNP voters (of which a sizeable chunk are).and hard No voting Labour Voters. I think they may have a moderate degree of success and pick up a few seats but I'd still expect to see the SNP to retain 45-50 seats. Amazing how the SNP are now handsomely benefiting from the FPTP system that previously punished them. I've never been a fan of FPTP. Although it usually delivers a decisive result, it's inherently unfair.

No Pirlo - No Party

I reckon May thought about what Sturgeon's response after Easter recess was going to be and assumed she might do a walk out of parliament. I reckon this snap election has got in there before Sturgeon could announce her own news tomorrow. Seems to be a little war between the two of them to upset the other with something unexpected.

Hopefully it doesn't backfire and we end up with a corbyn lead coalition of idiocy.

What a genius this woman is! She's pulled the rug from under the feet of all the opposition parties. The other parties, excluding SNP, are weak and the timing of this represents an opportunity to get a fresh mandate for Brexit and to get on with the job the whole of the country wants her to do,take us out of Europe ( before the French beat us to it and get there first).

Corbyn will not be Labour leader on 9th June and let's hope he takes Abbot with him. Diane Abbot's next job could be Guard on a Southern Rail train? Hope so, they're getting rid of them as well.

Stick to Argentinian affairs, expat.

Eh? I dont remember ever being called pat or having had an affair with an Argentinian. Maybe you did when you fought under General Galtieri, sadly didn't fight quite hard enough.

maroonlegions

What a genius this woman is! She's pulled the rug from under the feet of all the opposition parties. The other parties, excluding SNP, are weak and the timing of this represents an opportunity to get a fresh mandate for Brexit and to get on with the job the whole of the country wants her to do,take us out of Europe ( before the French beat us to it and get there first).

Corbyn will not be Labour leader on 9th June and let's hope he takes Abbot with him. Diane Abbot's next job could be Guard on a Southern Rail train? Hope so, they're getting rid of them as well.

Seems this woman could be a slippery snake protecting her corrupt own.

The official line is that Theresa May called the general election on June 8 to win a stronger hand in Brexit negotiations. But some political observers have?
POLITICALSCRAPBOOK.NET

"Here's my general election conspiracy theory: PM warned CPS is closing in on prosecutions for election expenses breaches in Tory marginals". :laugh4: 

"CPS says charging decisions on Conservative election expenses mid to late May. So what happens if 20+ Tory candidates on the hook? :laugh4: 

"Election could put CPS in difficulty over whether to prosecute MPs & agents over 2015 election expenses. Deadlines late May, early June! :laugh4: 

"Conveniently an early General Election avoids by-elections which could've been triggered by police inquiries into 2015 Con election expenses" :laugh4: 

Gotta love her balls on this that no one would suspect or notice this. :laugh4:

Space Mackerel

Always love a poster posing as an AN Other European, makes a mockery of their anti EU political thinking.

Got any property deals round Bologna likes post Brexit? [emoji2]

SNP sitting on historic highs.

Weak?

:gok:

Radio Ga Ga

Weak?

Historic highs? Link?

I thought their share of the vote had fallen at the last Holyrood election and they had lost their majority

Seymour M Hersh

Surely the affront to democracy is their refusal to accept the Referendum result from 23rd June 16? 

Cheers for that X2. The only seat the Tories can gain is Berwick, don't mind Labour gains but it won't happen.

Carmichael's and Mundell's seat could go SNP too.

Carmichael won't lose imo.

They could gain many seats. If tactical voting happens.

Weak?

See Labour in 2010. Historic high. A year later decimated at Holyrood. 4 years later 1 MP. A year later still 3rd place.

All in 6 years.

Change can be quick and brutal.

No Pirlo - No Party

Weak?

I wrote "excluding SNP", I never said they were weak!

How many of us speak the same language even when we speak the same language?

Archived