General Election

Don Dan

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a smokescreen about the rape clause. The debate has been cancelled and the Parliament will soon dissolve.

manaliveits105

Gnats claiming Sturgeon will eat May alive in live debates - why should May debate with her she aint even an MP .Think they are missing the point that many people in Scotland cant stand Jimmy and her clenched fists . If she is in any debate someone should ask her what the scottish parliament has passed apart from INDYREF2 - end of debate.

John Findlay

May realised she can't manage brexit and wants out.

I don't believe so. She didn't call an election because she would lose seats. She called one because she was advised she would end up with a larger majority south of Berwick upon Tweed and Carlisle and east of Offa's dyke. She doesn't give a hoot for Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales. These are not her battleground. Middle England is and the plan is a total wipe out of labour there and with Corbyn at the Labour helm they may just achieve that. Then she can claim Carte Blanche on how Brexit is negotiated.

Jambof3tornado

Gnats claiming Sturgeon will eat May alive in live debates - why should May debate with her she aint even an MP .Think they are missing the point that many people in Scotland cant stand Jimmy and her clenched fists . If she is in any debate someone should ask her what the scottish parliament has passed apart from INDYREF2 - end of debate.

This. Wish she'd just run the country for once.

John Findlay

No TV debates to happen. Downing Street have confirmed.

Of course, that means very little, and it'll probably happen anyway...

It will once the media pressure mounts.

This. Wish she'd just run the country for once.

If you voted yes maybe they could've with full independence. But hey , not long til you get your wish.

Thunderstruck

Has the dead sheep that mauled Dennis Healey been resurrected.

Sturgeon's past performance in debates is hardly the stuff of legend - she just becomes increasingly shrill. The debate at the SECC with school kids questioning Sturgeon, Harvie, Davidson and Galloway was a prime example of her "losing the bubble".

She doesn't give a hoot for Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.

You don't need to convince me, Jye

I don't believe so. She didn't call an election because she would lose seats. She called one because she was advised she would end up with a larger majority south of Berwick upon Tweed and Carlisle and east of Offa's dyke. She doesn't give a hoot for Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales. These are not her battleground. Middle England is and the plan is a total wipe out of labour there and with Corbyn at the Labour helm they may just achieve that. Then she can claim Carte Blanche on how Brexit is negotiated.

This in a nutshell. Labour isn't a problem under Corbyn and will likely do very badly regardless of when an election takes place. The Libdems are a joke since the coalition and are unlikely to be trusted again in a generation. Her problems lie within her own party. She needs a much bigger middle England majority to neutralise the hand of the hard liners. As you say, the SNP operate in a foreign land anyway. 

Seymour M Hersh

The SNP will campaign on the Indy 2 platform - they never stopped after the last Independence Referendum.

But some folk will try to tell you it's the Conservatives who are fixated/obsessed with Indy ref 2! 

Just a wee reminder about polls and being over confident. Brexit result and a Tory majority 2015.

See here we go already the pro independence gang out in force turning another UK wide vote into a mini referendum.

As stated before its ok to vote for the snp and not want independence. But if all we are going to get from the snp is independence then there's no point voting for them if it's not in the best interests of the country as a whole.

What baffles me is they want to be independent from Scotlands biggest trading partner to then join a crumbling European Union. I honestly struggle to work that out.

Up until the Brexit vote I genuinely thought they were doing a decent job at stabilising the country after the turmoil of the referendum now it appears they've abandoned us for independence at all costs.

I wait to here from whoever is going to front them in the GE as to what they propose going forward...at the stage ill decide where my vote goes.

See here we go already the pro independence gang out in force turning another UK wide vote into a mini referendum.

As stated before its ok to vote for the snp and not want independence. But if all we are going to get from the snp is independence then there's no point voting for them if it's not in the best interests of the country as a whole.

What baffles me is they want to be independent from Scotlands biggest trading partner to then join a crumbling European Union. I honestly struggle to work that out.

Up until the Brexit vote I genuinely thought they were doing a decent job at stabilising the country after the turmoil of the referendum now it appears they've abandoned us for independence at all costs.

I wait to here from whoever is going to front them in the GE as to what they propose going forward...at the stage ill decide where my vote goes.

Independence baffles you. Weird.

BTW Arnie, Holyrood voted to hold a second Indyref. It matters not a jot who wins in Westminster GE. There will still be an indyref2 old bean.

Only if it's authorised by Westminster.

Only if it's authorised by Westminster.

Not required, but your answer sums you stockholmers right up.

Not required, but your answer sums you stockholmers right up.

It is required do the research.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is required do the research.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No it's not, seems you better do some research.

No it's not, seems you better do some research.

You are so wrong. Only the Westminster can authorise a referendum for an independent Scotland. That's why there was an Edinburgh agreement. I'll leave it with you and the SNP who will find out the hard way.

Independence baffles you. Weird.

Clearly. I'm voting for a UK government is that independence...I'm baffled ... explain.

Clearly. I'm voting for a UK government is that independence...I'm baffled ... explain.

Rudy. you really should know better than to argue with fully paid up Idiots. Just when the Indy ref part deux thread had fizzled out....the whole shitstorm is whipped up again.

:lol:

Why're you getting so worked up?

You troll them, they troll you. You all have your entrenched views regarding the SNP, and Unionists standpoints...and now the bigger GE picture.

It's a pity that it always descends into us v them.

:D worked up.

No it's the hypocrisy, Barry. Where's the condemnation of the Brexit obsessed Tories calling another GE within 2 years of the 2015 they won. No but it's the SNP that's obsessed with selfishness party agenda. The SNP said once in a generation supposedly, but now want another indyref, they're classed as liars. But May calls another election when she stated she wouldn't til 2020. Utter bams.

You are so wrong. Only the Westminster can authorise a referendum for an independent Scotland. That's why there was an Edinburgh agreement. I'll leave it with you and the SNP who will find out the hard way.

Your wrong and you'll soon find out.

Rudy. you really should know better than to argue with fully paid up Idiots. Just when the Indy ref part deux thread had fizzled out....the whole shitstorm is whipped up again.

Stick to Argentinian affairs, expat.

Your wrong and you'll soon find out.

It will end up in the Supreme Court where it will be deemed illegal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why is Nicola Sturgeon so upset by this?

Surely the SNP can campaign on the basis of independence in this GE?

Radio Ga Ga

Why is Nicola Sturgeon so upset by this?

Surely the SNP can campaign on the basis of independence in this GE?

She knows their share of the vote will definitely go down, they'll still win the majority of seats (unfortunately) but she'll find out that their not as popular as she thinks they are.

As an aside what has the GE got to do with her as leader of the Scottish Assembly, surely it should be their leader in Westminster that should be doing canvassing?

Every time there is an election the heads of the councils who are responsible for running the votes get paid something like ?30,000.

Not bad.

Bye bye Fluffy Mundell and Ian Murray. Most pleasing.

Ian Murray could well lose his seat but the borders areas seem to love the Tories so Mr Mundell will probably be safe.

No, I'll agree I raised an eyebrow after saying what she did.

However, it's her perogative to change her mind if she believes it's in the best interests of herself/party/nation/...delete as appropriate.

As has Nicola Sturgeon. Democracy. Fair enough.

It's all hypocrisy mate, you shouldn't rise to it, even though you like a bit of banter. We've all got differing views, but the SNP thread is a shitmire.

And, despite the obvious permatations for those parties & supporters, I don't see why this thread at least can't keep to a fairly reasonable standard of debate.

That includes everyone, including me.

There may be surprises thrown up in this GE. I'm only interested in Wales & my area, but it affects us all nationally, however much we only want to see the localised point of view.

I think the thread could be a decent one, if the wind ups stop.

Unless someone wants to discuss Plaid Cymru?

Anyone...? No...?

This could backfire spectacularly on May if people are sick of voting and labour offer to overturn the Brexit vote, before the libdems do. It could be an election winner.

Space Mackerel

Ian Murray could well lose his seat but the borders areas seem to love the Tories so Mr Mundell will probably be safe.

You want to hear the noise coming out from the Scottish farmers down there, they are not a fan of Brexit at all. Where do you think they send their goods too? A lot goes to the EU plus they are losing their subsidies.

I reckon Nigel Farage will win a seat if he goes for one.

A certainty. I can see the Tories losing the Ukip vote they inherited post 2015 too.

You want to hear the noise coming out from the Scottish farmers down there, they are not a fan of Brexit at all. Where do you think they send their goods too? A lot goes to the EU plus they are losing their subsidies.

And they are not happy with independence either

Not sure I've read anywhere the answer but I remember last year there discussions about boundary changes for the next elections. Will they be in place for this election?

Subsidies robbed to pay to English farmers and fishermen. But hey #SNPBAD

A certainty. I can see the Tories losing the Ukip vote they inherited post 2015 too.

No there is no point in UKIP any more. The Conservatives will pick up their votes

Space Mackerel

And whys that? What basis are you getting this info from.

There was a woman on Question Time a few months ago saying they are furious with Brexit, why would they not switch to the SNP seeing as they still want to keep the membership of the EU going?

You do know Scotland feds the UK (literally) on the cheap.

SwindonJambo

The vast majority of farmers vote Tory. Always have.

Radio Ga Ga

Think they'll lose Berwickshire, Roxburgh & Selkirk, only got a 308 majority

Not sure I've read anywhere the answer but I remember last year there discussions about boundary changes for the next elections. Will they be in place for this election?

Nope they're not in place.

That's one of the reasons some observers thought May wouldn't go now

Thunderstruck

:D worked up.

No it's the hypocrisy, Barry. Where's the condemnation of the Brexit obsessed Tories calling another GE within 2 years of the 2015 they won. No but it's the SNP that's obsessed with selfishness party agenda. The SNP said once in a generation supposedly, but now want another indyref, they're classed as liars. But May calls another election when she stated she wouldn't til 2020. Utter bams.

You say "supposedly".

Is this "fake" -

Arnold Rothstein

I know you might find this hard to fathom out given your rhetoric above, but do you think May would've called this if she wasn't 20% ahead in the polls?j

What's that got to do with the point he's making?

You say "supposedly".

Is this "fake" -

Well DC guaranteed EU membership, so all bets are off.

Nope they're not in place.

That's one of the reasons some observers thought May wouldn't go now

Ah OK. Thanks!

Archived