• JudyJudyJudy

• Cade

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, Ulysses said:

Lib Dems are kinda ****ed, by the way. 

Someone really ought to start a thread about how shite they are. :laugh:

But with the weird way the electoral system goes, they'll get a couple of dozen seats in Parliament while Reform Ltd will have none. 

Victorian
30 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

But with the weird way the electoral system goes, they'll get a couple of dozen seats in Parliament while Reform Ltd will have none. 

LD got 11 seats at the 2019 election with 11.6% vote share.  

The Real Maroonblood

Sunak “This is the year the economy will bounce back.”

:rofl:
He’s still a slavering erse.

Japan Jambo
4 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Lib Dems are kinda ****ed, by the way. 

Someone really ought to start a thread about how shite they are. :laugh:

Ed Davey was on the R4 Today program this morning talking about his big ideas - what came across strongly was that he didn't have any, utterly clueless. Irrelevant would be the best description for them... 

The UK electorate gave the LibDems a chance at power and all the useless wanks did was enable the evil bunch of arseholes that are still running the country into the ground.

They had their chance and blew it.

Sold out every principle for a seat round the Cabinet table.

They can feckin rot, the irrelevant dicks.

I P Knightley
11 minutes ago, Cade said:

The UK electorate gave the LibDems a chance at power and all the useless wanks did was enable the evil bunch of arseholes that are still running the country into the ground.

They had their chance and blew it.

Sold out every principle for a seat round the Cabinet table.

They can feckin rot, the irrelevant dicks.

They can serve a purpose of being the viable alternative in Tory strongholds where the voters want to boot out the incumbent Tory but won't hold their noses and tick the Labour box. I'm thinking particularly of Jacob Mogg's seat in Somerset but there must be quite a few others where the tactical vote should go to the LibDems. They won't get anywhere near the cabinet but they could help to completely sink the tories. 

Ulysses
3 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

They can serve a purpose of being the viable alternative in Tory strongholds where the voters want to boot out the incumbent Tory but won't hold their noses and tick the Labour box. I'm thinking particularly of Jacob Mogg's seat in Somerset but there must be quite a few others where the tactical vote should go to the LibDems. They won't get anywhere near the cabinet but they could help to completely sink the tories. 

Not going to happen.  A General Election is a contest in visibility, and the Liberal Democrats are led by the Invisible Man.

Victorian
49 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Sunak “This is the year the economy will bounce back.”

He’s still a slavering erse.

We're in a "new economic moment",  apparently.   

Gotta love it when the staffers and spads produce another buzz phrase for the TV interviews.  

SectionDJambo

The Conservative Party is a bit of a shambles these days, which isn't particularly good for our democracy.  Labour were a shambles at the last election, resulting in a landslide for the winning party. In my opinion, landslide victories aren't healthy for our democratic process. They lead to an arrogance of power.

For Sunak, the spectre of yet another PM being ousted by his/her own party is looming large. I don't think he can call an election without a majority of parliament supporting it. They may try to ditch him before the next election, even though it may further destroy their credibility amongst most, of the electorate, bar their most loyal voters.

Mikey1874
3 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

The Conservative Party is a bit of a shambles these days, which isn't particularly good for our democracy.  Labour were a shambles at the last election, resulting in a landslide for the winning party. In my opinion, landslide victories aren't healthy for our democratic process. They lead to an arrogance of power.

For Sunak, the spectre of yet another PM being ousted by his/her own party is looming large. I don't think he can call an election without a majority of parliament supporting it. They may try to ditch him before the next election, even though it may further destroy their credibility amongst most, of the electorate, bar their most loyal voters.

The important thing now for UK democracy is that the Conservatives go away and properly decide how to proceed. Review what went wrong. They know also history says they will get back into Government so its slightly easier for them.

Chances are they might have a couple of years of madness before it settles down. The shift to the right wing isn't helping them but sense should take hold. 

shaun.lawson
44 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Not going to happen.  A General Election is a contest in visibility, and the Liberal Democrats are led by the Invisible Man.

The Lib Dems will end up with 30-40 seats, possibly even more, despite being led by the Invisible Man.

The reason is tactical voting: regarding which, IP is entirely right. Plenty of people will never be seen dead voting Labour but will vote Lib Dem - and furious Remainers have united against the Tories in by-election after by-election, local election after local election ever since 2019.

Your analysis here is about as good as on the Labour thread. It's weird actually. Fog in Irish Sea, Ulysses cut off?

Victorian

LD will get nowhere near 30-40 seats.  Have another few years off Shaun.  

ehcaley
11 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

The Lib Dems will end up with 30-40 seats, possibly even more, despite being led by the Invisible Man.

The reason is tactical voting: regarding which, IP is entirely right. Plenty of people will never be seen dead voting Labour but will vote Lib Dem - and furious Remainers have united against the Tories in by-election after by-election, local election after local election ever since 2019.

Your analysis here is about as good as on the Labour thread. It's weird actually. Fog in Irish Sea, Ulysses cut off?

Hi Shaun ,Where have you been man?

JudyJudyJudy
24 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

Invisible Man.

I actually didnt even know who their leader was. Thats how invisible they are. I hope people have long memories and think of Nick Clegg. 

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, Ulysses said:

I'm kind of pinning my hopes on folk in the West Country being unusual. 

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

We're in a "new economic moment",  apparently.   

Gotta love it when the staffers and spads produce another buzz phrase for the TV interviews.  

The fools will fall for that shite.

I P Knightley
51 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

Now, I'm prepared to bet a substantial amount of money that that won't happen. 

Whoever leads the Cun'servative party to its impending colossal GE defeat is going to be out on their arse in the near aftermath. Penny Mordaunt talks a good stand up and fight but she wants to be a leader with a chance of becoming PM. Same for Kemi Notgoodenough. I can't think of anyone else keen to 'lead' that lot and certainly not into the valley of death. They'll let Sunak do it, knowing that he'll be straight off to California when he's facing being leader of the opposition. 

I can't imagine Parliament voting against his wish to hold an election. There are enough Tories who see the writing on the wall and will just want it to be done with. 

Victorian
1 minute ago, I P Knightley said:

Now, I'm prepared to bet a substantial amount of money that that won't happen. 

Whoever leads the Cun'servative party to its impending colossal GE defeat is going to be out on their arse in the near aftermath. Penny Mordaunt talks a good stand up and fight but she wants to be a leader with a chance of becoming PM. Same for Kemi Notgoodenough. I can't think of anyone else keen to 'lead' that lot and certainly not into the valley of death. They'll let Sunak do it, knowing that he'll be straight off to California when he's facing being leader of the opposition. 

I can't imagine Parliament voting against his wish to hold an election. There are enough Tories who see the writing on the wall and will just want it to be done with. 

Last paragraph.  It's a curious intrigue.  Sunak might threaten to have a quick election in response to a leadership challenge.  The malcontents would rather empty him for a new leader who might,  in their delusion,  stand a chance of winning an election.  Meaning a later election.  If there's enough malcontents,  or MPs who might like to roll the dice in the last chance saloon to save their skins,  then they might prefer to vote down a motion to dissolve parliament.  That would mean the end of Sunak.

I suspect the numbers are insufficient right now,  but anything is possible these days.  Individual MPs might well be persuaded that their only remaining chance to hold on to their own seats is to have another leader and a later election.  

A ruling party voting down a motion to move an election would be unprecedented.  But these are people without precedent.

I P Knightley
8 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Just ignore him. Please just ignore him. 

That's mean!

I thought I was making reasonable sense :( 

Sooperstar
4 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

That's mean!

I thought I was making reasonable sense :( 

Your last post was beautiful. 

1 hour ago, SectionDJambo said:

FPTP itself leads to an arrogance of power.
One party gets a majority and can do anything it wants for 5 years.
Which isn't democratic, especially when FPTP means you gain that majority with a minority of the national vote.

AlimOzturk
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

LD will get nowhere near 30-40 seats.  Have another few years off Shaun.  

1 hour ago, ehcaley said:

Hi Shaun ,Where have you been man?

Good to see Shaun back and also show Victorian to be the bully boy poster that he is. 

All over the forum like a rash thinking he is the the big man with an encyclopaedia of knowledge on every subject going. 

Them tells folk to have another few off for expressing an opinion 

Edited by AlimOzturk

JudyJudyJudy
23 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Good to see Shaun back and also show Victorian to be the bully boy poster that he is. 

All over the forum like a rash thinking he is the the big man with an encyclopaedia of knowledge on every subject going. 

IMG_9436.gif

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

Malinga the Swinga
2 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I actually didnt even know who their leader was. Thats how invisible they are. I hope people have long memories and think of Nick Clegg. 

Yeah cause he's the only politician who lies! Personally I'll be voting for whoever has best chance of keeping SNP out my constituency. Thinks it is Labour but if it was Lid Dems, then I'll vote for them.

Mikey1874

General predictions by the polling companies for the Lib Dems are between 20 and 50 sears depending how bad it gets for the Conservatives.

Reform predicted between 0 and 0 seats. 

JudyJudyJudy
22 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Yeah cause he's the only politician who lies! Personally I'll be voting for whoever has best chance of keeping SNP out my constituency. Thinks it is Labour but if it was Lid Dems, then I'll vote for them.

Good point , but he was a particularly snidey **** and smarmy with it . I still cringe at “ I’m with Nick “ i think was his tagline . ! 

manaliveits105
2 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Fair comment 

Footballfirst

Further to today's inflation figures, I see that average rents in the UK are up by 9% year on year, or an average £104 a month in England (£1,248 a year), or £93 a month in Scotland. 

Those tax cuts (the two NI reductions) are claimed to provide a saving of £900 a year.  So your average worker, who is a renter or mortgage payer, is supposedly better off according to Richi.

PaddysBar
17 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Further to today's inflation figures, I see that average rents in the UK are up by 9% year on year, or an average £104 a month in England (£1,248 a year), or £93 a month in Scotland. 

Those tax cuts (the two NI reductions) are claimed to provide a saving of £900 a year.  So your average worker, who is a renter or mortgage payer, is supposedly better off according to Richi.

Smoke and mirrors FF. as has always been the case. 

CPI excluding housing was never a fair reflection of inflation (albeit I think CPIH only includes owner occupied properties). 

Ulysses
8 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

I'm kind of pinning my hopes on folk in the West Country being unusual. 

I get what you're saying, but the reality is that when the Liberal Democrats gain seats where they are currently second, it will not be because they have gained the seats, but because Labour or Reform have gained the seats for them by pulling votes away from the Conservatives.  Many of those seats will be in the West Country and the south of England.

But if the Lib Dems were in any way genuinely popular and able to win a better share of the vote in the south and south west of England, then they could contribute to completely gutting the Tories.  Admittedly the effect would be to hand many of those seats to Labour, but every little helps.  :laugh: 

Last time out the Lib Dems polled 11-12%.  If current polling is to be believed they're heading for 9 or 10 percent this time.  Imagine the damage they could do if they were polling at the rate they did in 1992 or 1997.  It could even put them in a position to win more seats than the Tories with fewer votes, which would be ironic.

The Mighty Thor

Dick Tice giving the Tories a wee bit of what they really want

Dept of Immigration staffed by 'believers'?

:kirk:

jambosean75
11 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Sturmabteilung: Hitler’s Original Paramilitary Wing, the ‘Brownshirts ...

.....and to think that the BBC was forced to apologise for referring to Reform as "far right"

:silviodamn:

il Duce McTarkin
1 hour ago, The Mighty Thor said:

17085771dece791hitler_laughing_gif_.gif

SectionDJambo
1 hour ago, The Mighty Thor said:

On number 6, what if the French say "non!"  ?

Richard Tice was on Peston last night. He said they're not the party of climate deniers.  They just don't see why the UK should shell out money, at present, to slow it down or prevent it. It's not affecting us yet, seemingly. We can deal with it later, much later.

Mikey1874
1 hour ago, Cade said:

.....and to think that the BBC was forced to apologise for referring to Reform as "far right"

:silviodamn:

Victorian

It appears that the only 'active' participation she had as a reservist was while stationed at a 'shore establishment' in Portsmouth.  So never really saw either end of a ship,  nor the big wet,  wobbly thing,  aka the sea.

But aye,  fought in the navy.  😀

The Mighty Thor

500 people crossed the channel in small boats yesterday and the cumulative total is 10% higher than 2023.

The plan is working though, right?

:greggy:

Victorian

Ombudsman has just reported on WASPI compensation.  DWP (the government) is refusing to comply with any order to meet compensation payments.  Matter will now be submitted to parliament to investigate and decide on how compensation will proceed.  An upper end of even arbritary payment estimates could reach circa £30bn.

Government doing nothing.  But guess who'll be screaming from the rooftops for maximum compensation from the opposition benches as this drags on.  

Edited by Victorian

periodictabledancer
34 minutes ago, Victorian said:

It appears that the only 'active' participation she had as a reservist was while stationed at a 'shore establishment' in Portsmouth.  So never really saw either end of a ship,  nor the big wet,  wobbly thing,  aka the sea.

But aye,  fought in the navy.  😀

Gino  Francois and Cleverley were the same, part time soldiers. Must be a flag-shagging thing with the Tories, they love all that "national service" shtick. I had an old mate who did 17 years as a (proper) soldier, he used to refer to them as cabbage mechanics (cooks). 

Victorian
2 minutes ago, periodictabledancer said:

Gino  Francois and Cleverley were the same, part time soldiers. Must be a flag-shagging thing with the Tories, they love all that "national service" shtick. I had an old mate who did 17 years as a (proper) soldier, he used to refer to them as cabbage mechanics (cooks). 

Don't mind people serving and being proud of whatever type of service they have or had in the forces,  including reservist units,  etc.  Perfectly noble pursuits.  But if you were acting up as a midshipman in an office somewhere then you're not paggering the Spanish Armada in the Solent.

Ulysses
Just now, Mikey1874 said:

First early response to the inflation figures.

Another couple of percent, and the hard right will be in pole position to become the official Opposition.

Someone's plan must be working. :eek:

periodictabledancer
3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Don't mind people serving and being proud of whatever type of service they have or had in the forces,  including reservist units,  etc.  Perfectly noble pursuits.  But if you were acting up as a midshipman in an office somewhere then you're not paggering the Spanish Armada in the Solent.

Quite and no slur on those who do it out of a genuine service to their country.

It's the flag shagging Tories I'm specifically talking about. 

periodictabledancer
4 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Another couple of percent, and the hard right will be in pole position to become the official Opposition.

Someone's plan must be working. :eek:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2024/jan/27/its-impossible-to-plan-uk-importers-braced-for-storm-at-ports-amid-new-brexit-checks

Get ready for the next round of food inflation.

Not sure what part of the Sunak plan it is .