Top Posters In This Topic

• Cade

• JFK-1

• maroonlegions

• Unknown user

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

NASA currently performing a fuel pressure test on SLS, trying to see if they fixed the leak that cancelled the previous launch attempt.

Meanwhile, in Boca Chica Texas, SpaceX performed a test firing on their super heavy booster, igniting 7 raptor II engines, the most raptors ever ignited at one time. The super heavy booster has 33 raptors in total.
Closer and closer to an orbital launch attempt.

Driving to my work at 6am this week, had good clear sky.

As I head west there is a very bright light high up.

In the south sky, not half as bright nor as high in sky is a second.

Anyone? 

Looked it up, Jupiter in the west  Mars in the south.

Screenshot_20220921_190802.jpg

SLS full wet test complete

It's still leaking but the engineers are satisfied that it's not getting any worse and the leak wasn't as bad as the one that scrubbed the launch last time.

:cornette:  $23billion spent and it's pishing fuel all over the place.

The Mighty Thor
18 hours ago, Cade said:

SLS full wet test complete

It's still leaking but the engineers are satisfied that it's not getting any worse and the leak wasn't as bad as the one that scrubbed the launch last time.

:cornette:  $23billion spent and it's pishing fuel all over the place.

I was going to ask when it's going up but that's probably open to multiple interpretation. 

6 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

I was going to ask when it's going up but that's probably open to multiple interpretation. 

Possibly by the end of the month, we're waiting for NASA to do a deeper look at the results of the wet tank test.

The Mighty Thor
9 minutes ago, Cade said:

Possibly by the end of the month, we're waiting for NASA to do a deeper look at the results of the wet tank test.

Unmanned is probably a good shout on this very large firework. 👍

Launch on 27th scrapped.

Big hurricane on the way in so they may be delayed by months due to the position of the moon having to be right for the launch to go ahead.

More problems for NASA.

End of an era tonight, with the last ever Vandenberg Air Force Base launch of a Delta IV heavy, lifting off with a super secret military payload.

Liftoff due sometime around 22:50 UK time.
Two more Delta IV heavy launches are scheduled, one next year and one the year after, both from Cape Canaveral.

Edited by Cade

On 11/09/2022 at 01:48, Pap said:

Its mental to think that Flat Earthers believe that all the random photos that we get from space are all created to keep the governments big cover up going.

What's their explanation for why anyone would go to such lengths to pretend the planet is round? I mean who gives if it were triangular.

On 28/09/2022 at 04:05, JFK-1 said:

What's their explanation for why anyone would go to such lengths to pretend the planet is round? I mean who gives if it were triangular.

Some of them say its a way to make us feel small and diminish our sense of importance, hiding a bigger truth from us - often with a religious bent to it. 

Some 'believe' that the firmament or container is all there is and the planets/stars are projections on the surface of it. So that allows them to deny all space travel from ever existing. How they explain meteorites I have no idea.

Some of the proponents on youtube like D Marble, explain it thus:

“I mean, it’s hard to tell. It’s hard to pinpoint exactly who’s benefiting from this, but there’s a few, there’s somebody, there’s somebody getting something from this,” 

The best one was when the attention seeker Mark Sargent, who claimed he wasn't an attention seeker despite attending a conference wearing an "I'm Mark Sargent" t-shirt, and drove his  conspiracy lady friend to a NASA museum to throw shade at them, and navigated there using a GPS sat nav.

Beyond the Curve is a fantastic documentary as it just points the cameras at the flat earth community and let's them discredit their own beliefs. 

1 hour ago, Gizmo said:

Some of them say its a way to make us feel small and diminish our sense of importance, hiding a bigger truth from us - often with a religious bent to it. 

Some 'believe' that the firmament or container is all there is and the planets/stars are projections on the surface of it. So that allows them to deny all space travel from ever existing. How they explain meteorites I have no idea.

Some of the proponents on youtube like D Marble, explain it thus:

The best one was when the attention seeker Mark Sargent, who claimed he wasn't an attention seeker despite attending a conference wearing an "I'm Mark Sargent" t-shirt, and drove his  conspiracy lady friend to a NASA museum to throw shade at them, and navigated there using a GPS sat nav.

Beyond the Curve is a fantastic documentary as it just points the cameras at the flat earth community and let's them discredit their own beliefs. 

I always thought there were three categories of these people. The truly dimwitted who will believe anything they're told, plus others smart enough to see the stupidity of it but they're just attention beggars. And a third category making money out of both of them.

1 hour ago, Cade said:

NASA and SpaceX sign a contract for SpaceX to boost the Hubble telescope into a higher orbit, hoping to extend the mission life of the telescope.

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2022/nasa-spacex-to-study-hubble-telescope-reboost-possibility

Interesting. I think it's due to crash into the atmosphere around 2026.

Astronomy photo of the year

_126726769_d1059d33-d906-4ae0-ae33-1c385

A rare photograph of a comet that will never be seen from Earth again has won a prestigious photography prize. The image shows a piece of Comet Leonard's tail breaking off and being carried away by the solar wind.

The comet made a brief appearance to Earth after being discovered in 2021, but has now left our Solar System. The Royal Observatory Greenwich in London runs the Astronomy Photography of the Year competition and called the image "astonishing".

It also awarded two 14-year-old boys in Sichuan, China, the prize for Young Astronomy Photographer of the Year. The images are on show in an exhibition at the National Maritime Museum in London from Saturday.

"Comets look different from hour to hour - they are very surprising things," explained the winning photographer Gerald Rhemann, from Vienna, Austria. The picture was taken on Christmas Day 2021 from an observatory in Namibia, home to some of the world's darkest skies.

He had no idea that the comet's tail would disconnect, leaving the sparkling dust trail in its wake. "I was absolutely happy to take the picture - it's the highlight of my photography career," he told BBC News.

Astronomer Dr Ed Bloomer, who was one of the competition judges, said the image was one of the best comet photographs in history.

"The perfect astrophotograph is the collision of science and arts. Not only is it technically sophisticated and projects the viewer into deep dark space, but also it's visually arresting and emotional," Dr Hannah Lyons, assistant curator of art at Royal Museums Greenwich, told BBC News.

The judges looked at more than 3,000 entries from around the world. Link to full article and more impressive photographs. https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-62916234

On 28/09/2022 at 04:05, JFK-1 said:

The flat earther i know says he doesnt know. He/they just believe its flat.

8 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Interesting. I think it's due to crash into the atmosphere around 2026.

Aye it's only got enough fuel to aim itself, and NASA were planning to decommission it in the near future, now that JWST is up and working.

But if SpaceX can nudge it into a higher orbit then it's right back in the game.

22 minutes ago, Cade said:

Aye it's only got enough fuel to aim itself, and NASA were planning to decommission it in the near future, now that JWST is up and working.

But if SpaceX can nudge it into a higher orbit then it's right back in the game.

They're talking about somehow "docking" with it in that article. I'm speculating what they're thinking of is something like what i'm sure I recall once seeing being employed in the shuttle cargo bay during a mission.

Some sort of robotic arm that can grab on to satellites and pull them in or just hold them steady for maintenance. I was also thinking this could be some very delicate work.

The telescope weighs about 12 tons and while that's not so much of an issue in orbit as it would be on the Earth, at least in terms of moving it. It's still a good mass to send spiraling out of control if they somehow messed up big time.

Might it just fall in and burn up if they did make a mess of it? Maybe, would depend on the nature of the event. Or could it indeed push it into a higher orbit? I suppose also maybe, again dependent on the mechanics of the event.

But if that were the case, higher orbit, given it wasn't in a planned manner could it be pushed into the path of another satellite say? One of my greatest concerns about the amount of shit now up there are the chances of collision.

Good old Murphy's law, anything that can happen will happen and a major event up there would appear highly plausible sometime wouldn't you say? It might take only take one collision to trigger a runaway Kessler syndrome in which everything got shredded.

A scenario like that could shut us off from space for decades to come . Overnight all satellite communication could be gone. No GPS now. Forget the moon too.

And to me, as it become ever busier up there and we have more non state actors getting in on the act with commercial motivations it seems almost inevitable sooner or later.

13 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

I always thought there were three categories of these people. The truly dimwitted who will believe anything they're told, plus others smart enough to see the stupidity of it but they're just attention beggars. And a third category making money out of both of them.

Oh yeah definitely, some of them fleece people making a full-time living from it. 

Related to your hubble post, I do wonder if the next step would be to develop self-assembling automation; imagine if we could launch and release a couple of thrusters that can latch to the hubble and re-orbit it higher up before detaching and burning up. 

Whatever telescope we build post JWST will need to be assembled in orbit if it plans to be a bigger scope, so we must be starting to develop some engineering methods for that. 

maroonlegions

TON 618 - Biggest Black Hole We Know. Size Of The Solar System In The Middle For Comparison. 66 Billion Solar Masses.

:kirk:

310431852_400316095637176_8287232998380550443_n.jpg

The big clump of stuff is a bunch of Starlink satellites deploying themselves in formation around Earth.

Wee white dot at the top right is the upper stage of the rocket making it's re-entry burn back to earth, to land on a drone ship and be refurbished for a future launch.

Might take you a couple of viewings to spot it but the way it zooms off back to Earth is amazing.

• 2 weeks later...
maroonlegions
𝐖𝐞𝐛𝐛 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐇𝐮𝐛𝐛𝐥𝐞’𝐬 𝐯𝐢𝐞𝐰 𝐨𝐟 𝐏𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐚𝐫𝐬 𝐨𝐟 𝐂𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐢𝐬𝐨𝐧

NASA's Hubble Space Telescope made the Pillars of Creation famous with its first image in 1995, but revisited the scene in 2014 to reveal a sharper, wider view in visible light, shown above at left.

A new, near-infrared-light view from NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope, at right, helps us peer through more of the dust in this star-forming region. The thick, dusty brown pillars are no longer as opaque and many more re… 

A new, near-infrared-light view from NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope, at right, helps us peer through more of the dust in this star-forming region. The thick, dusty brown pillars are no longer as opaque and many more re… 
See more

312323277_1282671212494323_1971557411641019897_n (1).jpg

maroonlegions

Interesting.

Was Our Universe Created in a Laboratory?

Developing quantum-gravity technologies may elevate us to a “class A” civilization, capable of creating a baby universe.

AUTHOR

Avi Loeb is former chair (2011-2020) of the astronomy department at Harvard University, founding director of Harvard's Black Hole Initiative and director of the Institute for Theory and Computation at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics. He also chairs the Board on Physics and Astronomy of the National Academies and the advisory board for the Breakthrough Starshot project, and is a member of President's Council of Advisors on Science and Technology. Loeb is the bestselling author of Extraterrestrial: The First Sign of Intelligent Life Beyond Earth (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt).

The biggest mystery concerning the history of our universe is what happened before the big bang. Where did our universe come from? Nearly a century ago, Albert Einstein searched for steady-state alternatives to the big bang model because a beginning in time was not philosophically satisfying in his mind.

Now there are a variety of conjectures in the scientific literature for our cosmic origins, including the ideas that our universe emerged from a vacuum fluctuation, or that it is cyclic with repeated periods of contraction and expansion, or that it was selected by the anthropic principle out of the string theory landscape of the multiverse—where, as the MIT cosmologist Alan Guth says “everything that can happen will happen ... an infinite number of times,” or that it emerged out of the collapse of matter in the interior of a black hole.

A less explored possibility is that our universe was created in the laboratory of an advanced technological civilization. Since our universe has a flat geometry with a zero net energy, an advanced civilization could have developed a technology that created a baby universe out of nothing through quantum tunneling.

EF4D0856-269B-4EB5-9FA8A9240BBCC720_source.webp

maroonlegions
13 minutes ago, Smithee said:

No

Well thats that then. Cheers for that highly scientific thesis.

Meanwhile,  from a real  academical  mind ,this man says WHY NOT.

Avi Loeb is former chair (2011-2020) of the astronomy department at Harvard University, founding director of Harvard's Black Hole Initiative and director of the Institute for Theory and Computation at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics. He also chairs the Board on Physics and Astronomy of the National Academies and the advisory board for the Breakthrough Starshot project, and is a member of President's Council of Advisors on Science and Technology. Loeb is the bestselling author of Extraterrestrial: The First Sign of Intelligent Life Beyond Earth (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt).

:greggy:

43 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

Well thats that then. Cheers for that highly scientific thesis.

Meanwhile,  from a real  academical  mind ,this man says WHY NOT.

Because it's ****ing stupid.

Academic mind, scientific - so you'd listen to someone with, say, a Bachelor of Science degree and agree they have a more scientific and educated mind than you, right? 

tenor.gif

Academical mind ffs

maroonlegions
2 hours ago, Smithee said:

Because it's ****ing stupid.

Academic mind, scientific - so you'd listen to someone with, say, a Bachelor of Science degree and agree they have a more scientific and educated mind than you, right? 

tenor.gif

Academical mind ffs

No ..

:rofl::facepalm:

You sound upset sweetheart.

I can imagine you having a debate with Avi Lobe.. :rofl:

Only one winner there eh.

Your scientific rebuttal sweetheart is like something Lizzy Trust would come out with..

Avi Lober has 100% credibility and is light light years ahead of a punter oan a fitbawe forum :rofl:

You sound really stupid..

:pleasing:   

maroonlegions
2 hours ago, Jambo_jim2001 said:

Everyone knows we live in the matrix 😳👍👍🤔🤔😂🧐

Welcome to the new age.

Probably not, but the idea is just crazy enough to be worth taking seriously.

The idea that the world we experience is an illusion being fed to us by powerful computers, popularized by the “Matrix” movies, is just crazy enough to be worth taking seriously. But if we’re going to be serious, it is important to distinguish between two very different questions.

First: Could there be a richly experienced mental world that is not made of matter, as it appears to be, but of abstract data? And second: Is the world we actually experience—the universe as described by the laws of physics and the facts of cosmology—such a world?

The answer to the first question is pretty surely yes. In fact, humans occupy self-generated mind-worlds for an hour or two each day, when we dream during REM sleep.

The objects we see in dreams are just patterns of electrical excitation in our brains. Analogously, virtual reality tunes us into data streams that we perceive as objects.

Dreams are transient, and at present virtual reality is not an all-encompassing experience. We humans still live the bulk of our lives in a shared reality, where we do things like eat, drink and get older.

But many experts think that one day it will be possible to build artificial minds, wholly based on electronic circuitry, that will simulate human thought processes, including self-awareness. Such artificial minds, inhabiting programmed worlds, could well be oblivious to physical reality, despite being embedded within it.

To our second question—is our own perceived world manufactured, in fact, from such abstract data—the best answer is pretty surely no. First of all, the idea that the physical world we experience is a computer simulation begs a basic question: What is the computer made of?

Leaving that detail aside, there are many aspects of physics in our world that do not look like the product of an efficient world-simulator. For example, our most accurate formulation of the laws of physics depends on the idea that space and time are smooth and continuous.

When you work with continuous numbers, instead of 0s and 1s, it becomes much more difficult, in a simulation, to maintain precision.

More generally, our world contains a lot of hidden complexity. We can calculate a proton’s properties based on fundamental laws, but those calculations are extremely complicated. It would be a poor strategy to build a simulated world out of such hard-to-compute ingredients.

The basic “Matrix” fantasy isn’t new. It is a computer-age variation on the philosophical notion of idealism, according to which so-called physical reality is at base mental, not material. According to the 18th-century philosopher Bishop Berkeley, the world reflects activity in the mind of God. But Samuel Johnson was not impressed with this theory, as a story told by his biographer James Boswell relates:

“We stood talking for some time together of Bishop Berkeley’s ingenious sophistry to prove the nonexistence of matter and that every thing in the universe is merely ideal.… I never shall forget the alacrity with which Johnson answered, striking his foot with mighty force against a large stone, till he rebounded from it—‘I refute it thus.’”

That kick is worth a thousand words.

It is quite possible to imagine a simulated world.

But if ours is such a world, then the mind that creates it, made of God knows what, works in very mysterious ways.

Originally appeared on January 9, 2020 on The Wall Street Journal website as ‘Are We Living in a Simulated World?

Frank Wilczek is the Herman Feshbach Professor of Physics at MIT, winner of the 2004 Nobel Prize in Physics, and author of the books Fundamentals: Ten Keys to Reality (2021), A Beautiful Question: Finding Nature’s Deep Design (2015), and The Lightness of Being: Mass, Ether, and the Unification of Forces (2009).

:kirk:

6 hours ago, maroonlegions said:

No ..

:rofl::facepalm:

You sound upset sweetheart.

I can imagine you having a debate with Avi Lobe.. :rofl:

Only one winner there eh.

Your scientific rebuttal sweetheart is like something Lizzy Trust would come out with..

Avi Lober has 100% credibility and is light light years ahead of a punter oan a fitbawe forum :rofl:

You sound really stupid..

:pleasing:   

I don't sound at all upset dafty, I'm just saying you don't have the wits to know a good argument from an apple.

This is the guy who insisted the Clintons were part of a satanic child worshipping ring, run out of a pizza shop.

Trump's agents had their hand so far up his arse, they can still taste his eyeballs on their fingers.

il Duce McTarkin
1 hour ago, Smithee said:

I don't sound at all upset dafty, I'm just saying you don't have the wits to know a good argument from an apple.

:sadrobbo:

Fair point, well made.

The Moon as a stepping stone to Mars | DW News

The space race is back — with multiple countries, including China, Russia, India, and Israel — trying to reach the moon. But not just for national glory: Space agencies see the moon as a gateway for missions to Mars and beyond.

German astronaut Alexander Gerst and ESA director general Josef Ansbacher talk about the Artemis mission and why we should have a permanent settlement on the moon.

maroonlegions
On 21/10/2022 at 00:20, Smithee said:

I don't soudend at all upset dafty, I'm just saying you don't have the wits to know a good argument from an apple.

Ha ha, lost the argument have we, resorting to name calling and childlike tantrums..   

Not one grown up response or debate on any of my posts..

Not even one grown up acknowledgement that you are way out of your comfort zone  when faced with very credible sources.

And you call me dafty ..:rofl:

Only person so far who has no idea how to debate from one apple to the next is you sweetheart..

And for the record ,try and act like a grown when debating.

maroonlegions
On 21/10/2022 at 02:14, Dirk McClaymore said:

:sadrobbo:

Fair point, well made.

Fair point.  :rofl:

What's fair about it.:facepalm:

Seems you self styled experts never comment or debate on  any thing with a credible source.

And when shown or faced with it then the personal insults fly.

Nothing fair or well put sweetheart..