Astronomy / The Universe

graygo

6 hours ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

They reckon that eventually galaxies will be spilt so far apart you won't see the light from them

A far as we can see that will indeed be the case. Think of a civilisation arising in that era, looking at the sky. They're going to conclude what we concluded prior to discovering the Milky Way is not the entire universe.

They will probably conclude steady state and most definitely conclude their galaxy is the entire universe. As we did till we could see there was more. There will never be anything else for them to see.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cade

• JFK-1

• maroonlegions

• Unknown user

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Any non Earth civilisations that could travel to the 3rd plant, would have the technology to over power the gonks who inhabit the Earth. Why hide?

Edited by ri Alban

• 2 weeks later...

Think I may have touched on this scenario earlier in the thread.

‘We better watch out’: NASA boss sounds alarm on Chinese moon ambitions

In an interview with POLITICO, Bill Nelson expressed confidence the U.S. can win the moon race. But he warned there is little time to lose.

The race to the moon between the United States and China is getting tighter and the next two years could determine who gains the upper hand.

So says NASA Administrator Bill Nelson, who warns that Beijing could establish a foothold and try to dominate the most resource-rich locations on the lunar surface — or even keep the U.S. out.

“It is a fact: we’re in a space race,” the former Florida senator and astronaut said in an interview. “And it is true that we better watch out that they don’t get to a place on the moon under the guise of scientific research. And it is not beyond the realm of possibility that they say, ‘Keep out, we’re here, this is our territory.’”

FULL ARTICLE: https://www.politico.com/news/2023/01/01/we-better-watch-out-nasa-boss-sounds-alarm-on-chinese-moon-ambitions-00075803

henrysmithsgloves
9 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Why a race to the moon?

American have already been there, have they not?:kirk:

Everyone knows the moon is just a projection 😳😁

5 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Think I may have touched on this scenario earlier in the thread.

‘We better watch out’: NASA boss sounds alarm on Chinese moon ambitions

In an interview with POLITICO, Bill Nelson expressed confidence the U.S. can win the moon race. But he warned there is little time to lose.

The race to the moon between the United States and China is getting tighter and the next two years could determine who gains the upper hand.

So says NASA Administrator Bill Nelson, who warns that Beijing could establish a foothold and try to dominate the most resource-rich locations on the lunar surface — or even keep the U.S. out.

“It is a fact: we’re in a space race,” the former Florida senator and astronaut said in an interview. “And it is true that we better watch out that they don’t get to a place on the moon under the guise of scientific research. And it is not beyond the realm of possibility that they say, ‘Keep out, we’re here, this is our territory.’”

FULL ARTICLE: https://www.politico.com/news/2023/01/01/we-better-watch-out-nasa-boss-sounds-alarm-on-chinese-moon-ambitions-00075803

It sounds very much like the 1960s, when the Americans were in a race to the moon, except then it was the USSR who was the bogeyman.

henrysmithsgloves
18 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Be class if China/US end up hav8ng astronaught fights on the moon to determine land ownership.

Kung Fu fighting in low gravity, I'd pay to see that🤣

19 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

It sounds very much like the 1960s, when the Americans were in a race to the moon, except then it was the USSR who was the bogeyman.

I think the difference here is that Apollo 11 was only about being first to set foot on the moon, it offered no advantage other than prestige. The Russians had their own attempt scheduled for just weeks later but cancelled it when Apollo 11 was successful.

They decided that any prestige value wasn't worth it now. Especially so since Apollo 11 was successful, what would it look like if their attempt failed? Not worth the risk just to collect the same rocks the Americans have.

The difference now is the US plus the European and Canadian space agencies working together on building some sort of permanent habitable structure on the moon, and in time have a permanent human presence there. 

The way I see it the NASA/ESA/CSA alliance is light years ahead of China in their ability to carry a steady stream of humans and materials to the moon.

Lunar orbiting parking station scheduled for launch in 2024, incoming humans and cargo craft will dock with it in preparation for transport to the surface. 

China in it's space history has barely done what could be described as a spacewalk far less a moon walk. NASA must have probably thousands of hours of spacewalking experience, Astronauts spent a lot of time working in the shuttle cargo bay with the doors open, that's a spacewalk.

And a lot more besides, the Hubble telescope as just one example needed spacewalks to correct the initial lens flaw. The only thing I have seen a Chinese astronaut do is put half his body out of a hatch and wave a Chinese flag for a couple of minutes. Hardly impressive in comparison.

They have no SpaceX building advanced heavy lift rockets to assist the alliance effort, the mission being build something as large as possible as quickly as possible and start spreading out building in multiple locations.

I see no way China can compete with the alliance in the immediate future,, but as the guy says I suppose they could pull some sort of stunt. Drop some cabin or something on the surface, call it a base and say this dirt is ours. 

4 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Be class if China/US end up hav8ng astronaught fights on the moon to determine land ownership.

Sounds like the script for the 'For All Mankind' TV show

42 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I love the flat earthers, up there with UFO believers and folk who think you can change sex.

5 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

I love the flat earthers, up there with UFO believers and folk who think you can change sex.

The uneducated bit :rofl:

On 12/12/2022 at 01:16, Maple Leaf said:

Yes, I've read that scenario.  The time scales are mind-boggling, iirc, in the trillions of years.  One scientific paper stated with some certainty that, even then, Hibs will still be shite! :wink:

I like the theory of infinity where everything is possible with one exception.

maroonlegions
18 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

You forgot Lock Ness Monster, fairies, angles , god, someone who walked on water and turned blood into wine and cured the blind. Oh the Bigfoot, the yeti.

Up there with the   "they  do not have a legitimate scientific claim of possibility".

24 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Each with no life whatsoever.

No danger is there no life but our own in the Milky Way.

5 hours ago, Gizmo said:

No danger is there no life but our own in the Milky Way.

No danger. Really. :rofl: Show me this other life. Yet you probably say their is no God. Maybe God is this Alien that visits Falkirk, we keep hearing about. 

:vrwow: I'm convinced, thank you!

3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

No danger. Really. :rofl: Show me this other life. Yet you probably say their is no God. Maybe God is this Alien that visits Falkirk, we keep hearing about. 

To be fair, you've offered nothing to support your view/argument at all. 👽

6 hours ago, Cade said:

There are two answers to the question "Are we alone in the universe?"
We either are, or we aren't.

Both answers are terrifying.

Why? Do you think Lions and Tigers give a feck. Humans will be gone soon enough. Supposedly the intelligence of the Earth, but the Animal that will wipe itself out.

maroonlegions
13 hours ago, ri Alban said:

image-w1280.jpg.621b33f034019f935c1165a2fcfad38b.jpg

6 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Why? Do you think Lions and Tigers give a feck. Humans will be gone soon enough. Supposedly the intelligence of the Earth, but the Animal that will wipe itself out.

This is where I am at. We are here for 80/90 years or in some cases more, in many more cases less - **** spending any time I have here theorising whether there is some other twat living 3000 light years away. 

Don't get me wrong, I have commented on this thread and do like reading the odd theory someone has come up with but I genuinely couldn't care less if there is other life or not. Would be cool if there was, but the poster that wrote saying it is terrifying if there is or isn't needs to get out more :lol:

Terrifying :rofl:

1 hour ago, 151 said:

This is where I am at. We are here for 80/90 years or in some cases more, in many more cases less - **** spending any time I have here theorising whether there is some other twat living 3000 light years away. 

Don't get me wrong, I have commented on this thread and do like reading the odd theory someone has come up with but I genuinely couldn't care less if there is other life or not. Would be cool if there was, but the poster that wrote saying it is terrifying if there is or isn't needs to get out more :lol:

Terrifying :rofl:

:D

16 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Sorry  I might be missing something, 

Are you saying that you dont think there is other life in our galaxy or are you saying that you will only believe this when you see it? 

henrysmithsgloves
17 hours ago, ri Alban said:

You seen some of the sights that walk Falkirk 😳 even more when there's a full moon over the weekend 😂😂

The first domestic satellite launch to orbit from British soil is about to take off.

Space rocket being carried under the wing of a Jumbo Jet and launched like a cruise missile once they reach sufficient altitude.

3 minutes ago, jonesy said:

An ‘anomaly’ has prevented the rocket from reaching orbit :( 

It'll be the tories.

15 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

It'll be the tories.

Well, Grant Schapps was at his coked-up worst during the live stream, trying to make out that the UK is at the forefront of space exploration and not some diddy wee jonny-come-lately backwater.

That livestream was a total embarrassment from start to finish. Amateur hour.

1 minute ago, Cade said:

Well, Grant Schapps was at his coked-up worst during the live stream, trying to make out that the UK is at the forefront of space exploration and not some diddy wee jonny-come-lately backwater.

That livestream was a total embarrassment from start to finish. Amateur hour.

Not seen it but it sounds interesting😆

Richard Branson gurning his way through anecdotes about the Rolling Stones instead of talking about space. :vrface:

Microphones being left on so we could hear everything going on in the background :vrface:
Huge silent gaps in the commentary (see above) with nobody telling us what was happening or what was expected to happen next :vrface:

Ground cameras miles away from the airport and had shite zoom lenses so we barely saw anything of the plane :vrface:

Camera on the rocket was absolute garbage too, all you could make out was a vague yellow blob at the end which was the engine flare :vrface:

Livestream being abruptly cut when it became clear that the rocket had failed to reach orbit :vrface:

Rumours were already bouncing around that Virgin Orbit is almost out of money and this debacle tonight has not only trashed their public image even more but the failure of the rocket may bring about the end of the entire project.

Twitter is feckin hilarious tonight.

:sweeet:

Is this government funded? I genuinely dont know.

This is an embarrassement for the UK isnt it?

What other countries send satellites up themselves?

3 minutes ago, Pap said:

Is this government funded? I genuinely dont know.

This is an embarrassement for the UK isnt it?

What other countries send satellites up themselves?

UK Space Agency gave Virgin Orbit £8million to help stay afloat.
Branson had to dump in an extra £25mil not long ago.

The company is a baw hair away from failure.

Yes, this is a huge embarrassment. 

Nations with their own launch vehicles include:
USA

France

Japan

China

European Space Agency

India

Israel

Ukraine

Russia

Iran

North Korea

South Korea

Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Romania, Algeria and Malaysia are all close to having their own launch vehicles in service too.

The Mighty Thor

The perfect encapsulation of 'Global Britain'

You could be an active part of the ESA with pooled resource and a good track record of successful launches

Or

You could chuck a load of cash at a geriatric spiv with a 40 year old jumbo jet 

🤔

henrysmithsgloves
1 hour ago, hughesie27 said:

News just said that they don't actually know where the Rocket is? 

They found the pilot in Dublin 

download.jpeg

Green comet approaching Earth for first time in 50,000 years

Retired science teacher, Dan Bartlett, captured this image from his cabin near Yosemite National Park in California

_128280623_comet2.png

A bright green comet is set to swing by Earth's outer space for the first time in 50,000 years, and may hang around for a month.

NASA officials said the icy visitor was first spotted in March 2022 while it was inside the orbit of Jupiter.

It could be seen through binoculars as a small green glow to those in the Northern Hemisphere starting on Thursday.

It will be closest to Earth on 2 February, scientists said.

Full article: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-64252258