Top Posters In This Topic

• Cade

• JFK-1

• maroonlegions

• Unknown user

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, Pap said:

I always thought that to be true. It was obviously different than how it is today.

Edit: Double checked on Nasa's site and they say pretty much the same.

Thought what to be true?

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/09/2021 at 07:41, JFK-1 said:

Carl Sagan attempts to describe a 4th dimension outside our 3D existence.

I do love a Carl Sagan video.  The way he speaks has been parodied so many times in Sci-Fi - Twilight Zone, StarTrek, Futurama - 

Russians sending up a film director and actress in the next Soyuz to the ISS in order to make a film about a surgeon having to perform an operation on the ISS.
Nae green screen or CGI nonsense here, they're going full authentic, location-wise at least.

Soyuz docking computer fails.

Mission commander (i.e. the only actual cosmonaut on board) docks it manually.

Squeak bum time all round.

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, Cade said:

Soyuz docking computer fails.

Mission commander (i.e. the only actual cosmonaut on board) docks it manually.

Squeak bum time all round.

Sounds suspiciously like a decent movie

Unknown user
6 minutes ago, Bigsmak said:

This is brilliant

Once the rockets are up,

Who knows where they come down?

That's not my department,

Says Wehrner Von Braun

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

New Brian Cox series starts tonight.

I'm sure it'll be dumbed-down to shite and treat the audience as if they have an IQ of 70, but it'll look great.

5 hours ago, Cade said:

New Brian Cox series starts tonight.

I'm sure it'll be dumbed-down to shite and treat the audience as if they have an IQ of 70, but it'll look great.

👍

Will record this

• 2 weeks later...
maroonlegions
On 16/09/2021 at 14:24, spud said:

I was extremely disappointed that your response to my “digging” was to blether on about religion and then cut and paste another from your collection of opinions by “highly credible experts” from nearly 50 years ago. My disappointment was increased as you didn’t have the good grace to comment and seemed to dismiss the opinions of my expert, William Tompkins.  As I pointed out, he had worked for many aviation companies, including NASA and of course had shared his expertise with the “Nordics” the inhabitants of the hollow moon and self-proclaimed guardians of the Earth in their fight with the 9 foot reptiles

I would very much like to find out more and so perhaps you could reveal the source of your articles. Would it perhaps be the David Icke forums, as I have heard that you are a member of many years standing and regular contributor?

Is that all you have..  

Personal attacks and utter nonsense, must try harder..

I would take highly credible people from any age to a fitbaw punter oan a forum. 

As for the Ike comment, so fecking what, there was a UFO forum i engaged in, your character assassination attempt is desperate.    

maroonlegions
On 19/09/2021 at 00:54, spud said:

There is a TED lecture on this subject on YouTube given by Tabitha Boyajian around 2015. She discovered the irregular dimming when she was doing her PhD, might have been a post-doc. It's a really good place to start, if you are interested. If I remember correctly one hypothesis advanced at the time was that the dimming was caused by the rotation of gigantic artificially built structures, which again would introduce an advanced civilisation into the equation. Although, Dr Edward Schmidt, University of Nebraska announced earlier this year that he had found another 15 stars which behave in the same manner, which would probably point to a natural explanation and not an alien one.

So its fine for you to quote experts then.. There are MANY experts who do have different views on  the POSSIBILITY of advanced alien civilisations.Some think its possible some dont, you seem to go off on one a lot.  Millions of people believe a man walked on water, turned water or blood into wine, cured a blind man ect...   

But you have a go at those who believe in possible advanced alien intelligence's..  

:vrface:

3 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

So its fine for you to quote experts then.. There are MANY experts who do have different views on  the POSSIBILITY of advanced alien civilisations.Some think its possible some dont, you seem to go off on one a lot.  Millions of people believe a man walked on water, turned water or blood into wine, cured a blind man ect...   

But you have a go at those who believe in possible advanced alien intelligence's..  

There aren't any alien civilisations within our reach at this time, and nor will there be in our lifetimes. I say this with statistical certainty

maroonlegions
29 minutes ago, Smithee said:

There aren't any alien civilisations within our reach at this time, and nor will there be in our lifetimes. I say this with statistical certainty

And there he is, like a rash..:rofl:

The all knowing all seeing Smithee..:rofl:.

For the record....  I am one of those who believe the building blocks of life are scattered throughout the entire universe so I therefore lean towards the possibility of Panspermia. This latest finding seems to be another straw added to that theory if they are correct in their assessment.

Now i bet you have never heard of "Panspermia"..

I bet with statistical certainly that you have no WAY of knowing, and like may other leading scientific experts who do keep it as a possibility i am in their camp.

So lets just say not a bunch of light weights are studying this discovery.

Thats if you have the ability to, can be arsed to, following the links and look at the latest findings.  

Fitbaw punters oan a fitbaw forum thinking they are smarter than those who are:vrface:

So back to this latest discovery .

Led by Hasegawa Sunao, an Associate Senior Researcher at JAXA’s Institute of Space and Astronautical Science (ISAS), and supported by an international team of researchers from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, the University of Hawai’i, Seoul National University, Kyoto University, and the Laboratoire d’Astrophysique de Marseille, the group first zeroed in on 203 Pompeja just to make sure they were reading the unusual spectroscopic data correctly. And what they found, they say, was utterly unexpected.

Here below is a snippet from the links i have provided;

In a recently published survey of the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter, a group of scientists from around the globe found something hanging around the inner Solar System that they say simply should not be there; a pair of dark red rocks seemingly covered in complex organic material.

“Two asteroids (203 Pompeja and 269 Justitia) have been discovered with a redder spectrum than any other object in the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter,” a Japanese Aerospace Exploration Association (JAXA) release states. And according to that same release, “spectroscopic observations suggest the presence of complex organic matter on the surface of these asteroids.”

This WAS published and accepted in the highly credible   

The Astrophysical Journal Letters, Volume 916, Number 1

Again lets look at the credible scientific individuals who carried out this  investigation and who  made this cool as feck discovery.. They were as follows..

Discovery of Two TNO-like Bodies in the Asteroid Belt

Sunao Hasegawa1, Michaël Marsset2, Francesca E. DeMeo2, Schelte J. Bus3, Jooyeon Geem4,5, Masateru Ishiguro4,5, Myungshin Im4,5, Daisuke Kuroda6, and Pierre Vernazza7

Published 2021 July 26  © 2021. The American Astronomical Society. All rights reserved.

I will finish of by saying Science is the only tool we have at our disposal that will allow us to attempt to measure, observe, and understand, our universe and the reality we experience.

People who cannot get their heads around that concept "aren`t very smart". 

So we have such scientific people above who are SMART...   

Link source;  

Edited by maroonlegions

50 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

For the record....  I am one of those who believe the building blocks of life are scattered throughout the entire universe so I therefore lean towards the possibility of Panspermia. This latest finding seems to be another straw added to that theory if they are correct in their assessment.

I bet with statistical certainly that you have no WAY of knowing, and like may other leading scientific experts who do keep it as a possibility i am in their camp.

Thats if you have the ability to, can be arsed to, following the links and look at the latest findings.  

Fitbaw punters oan a fitbaw forum thinking they are smarter than those who are:vrface:

Led by Hasegawa Sunao, an Associate Senior Researcher at JAXA’s Institute of Space and Astronautical Science (ISAS), and supported by an international team of researchers from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, the University of Hawai’i, Seoul National University, Kyoto University, and the Laboratoire d’Astrophysique de Marseille, the group first zeroed in on 203 Pompeja just to make sure they were reading the unusual spectroscopic data correctly. And what they found, they say, was utterly unexpected.

In a recently published survey of the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter, a group of scientists from around the globe found something hanging around the inner Solar System that they say simply should not be there; a pair of dark red rocks seemingly covered in complex organic material.

“Two asteroids (203 Pompeja and 269 Justitia) have been discovered with a redder spectrum than any other object in the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter,” a Japanese Aerospace Exploration Association (JAXA) release states. And according to that same release, “spectroscopic observations suggest the presence of complex organic matter on the surface of these asteroids.”

Again lets look at the credible scientific individuals who carried out this  investigation and who  made this cool as feck discovery.. They were as follows..

Sunao Hasegawa1, Michaël Marsset2, Francesca E. DeMeo2, Schelte J. Bus3, Jooyeon Geem4,5, Masateru Ishiguro4,5, Myungshin Im4,5, Daisuke Kuroda6, and Pierre Vernazza7

Published 2021 July 26  © 2021. The American Astronomical Society. All rights reserved.

I will finish of by saying Science is the only tool we have at our disposal that will allow us to attempt to measure, observe, and understand, our universe and the reality we experience.

Link source;  

You'll never see first contact. It is what it is.

maroonlegions

This is cool as feck.

I have been over the years keeping a close watch on the VLT  (very large telescope), based in Chile.  

This image was captured by it. This shows the first direct image of what is termed an "EXTRA SOLAR SYSTEM" This image was taken by the VLT i  Chile.

Links

First Ever Image of a Multi-Planet System around a Sun-like Star Captured by ESO Telescope;

First ever image of a multi-planet system around a Sun-like star (uncropped, with annotations)

This image is showing a young star, (sun) with 2 giant exoplanets .This sun is similar to our own. Lets not look into the facts that they reckon there are possibly millions of galaxies out there with there very own solar systems.

This solar system  is only 200 light years away..

Begs the question, how many others are out there, still undetected..

To be clear, exoplanets have been directly imaged before, like the several examples in This Link or the image from 2010 of a multi-planet system around a very young version of our Sun (but too young to be called sun-like) in This Link.

What's in the image is the first directly imaged multi-planet system around a sun-like star that would be a good analogy to our own solar system today.

Like this one captured below in 2010; Showing 3 exoplanets orbiting around their sun. 

HR8799crop.jpeg

HR8799 direct imaging planet detection's Credit: Marois et al (2010)

Snippet below from link;

The European Southern Observatory’s Very Large Telescope (ESO’s VLT) has taken the first ever image of a young, Sun-like star accompanied by two giant exoplanets. Images of systems with multiple exoplanets are extremely rare, and — until now — astronomers had never directly observed more than one planet orbiting a star similar to the Sun.

The observations can help astronomers understand how planets formed and evolved around our own Sun.

Just a few weeks ago, ESO revealed a planetary system being born in a new, stunning VLT image. Now, the same telescope, using the same instrument, has taken the first direct image of a planetary system around a star like our Sun, located about 300 light-years away and known as TYC 8998-760-1.

This discovery is a snapshot of an environment that is very similar to our Solar System, but at a much earlier stage of its evolution,” says Alexander Bohn, a PhD student at Leiden University in the Netherlands, who led the new research published today in The Astrophysical Journal Letters

Even though astronomers have indirectly detected thousands of planets in our galaxy, only a tiny fraction of these exoplanets have been directly imaged,” says co-author Matthew Kenworthy, Associate Professor at Leiden University, adding that “direct observations are important in the search for environments that can support life.

The direct imaging of two or more exoplanets around the same star is even more rare; only two such systems have been directly observed so far, both around stars markedly different from our Sun.

The new ESO’s VLT image is the first direct image of more than one exoplanet around a Sun-like star. ESO’s VLT was also the first telescope to directly image an exoplanet, back in 2004, when it captured a speck of light around a brown dwarf, a type of ‘failed’ star.

Our team has now been able to take the first image of two gas giant companions that are orbiting a young, solar analogue,” says Maddalena Reggiani, a postdoctoral researcher from KU Leuven, Belgium, who also participated in the study.

The two planets can be seen in the new image as two bright points of light distant from their parent star, which is located in the upper left of the frame (click on the image to view the full frame).

By taking different images at different times, the team were able to distinguish these planets from the background stars.

The two gas giants orbit their host star at distances of 160 and about 320 times the Earth-Sun distance. This places these planets much further away from their star than Jupiter or Saturn, also two gas giants, are from the Sun; they lie at only 5 and 10 times the Earth-Sun distance, respectively.

The team also found the two exoplanets are much heavier than the ones in our Solar System, the inner planet having 14 times Jupiter’s mass and the outer one six times.

Bohn’s team imaged this system during their search for young, giant planets around stars like our Sun but far younger. The star TYC 8998-760-1 is just 17 million years old and located in the Southern constellation of Musca (The Fly). Bohn describes it as a “very young version of our own Sun.

These images were possible thanks to the high performance of the SPHERE instrument on ESO’s VLT in the Chilean Atacama desert. SPHERE blocks the bright light from the star using a device called coronagraph, allowing the much fainter planets to be seen.

While older planets, such as those in our Solar System, are too cool to be found with this technique, young planets are hotter, and so glow brighter in infrared light.

By taking several images over the past year, as well as using older data going back to 2017, the research team have confirmed that the two planets are part of the star’s system.

Further observations of this system, including with the future ESO Extremely Large Telescope (ELT), will enable astronomers to test whether these planets formed at their current location distant from the star or migrated from elsewhere. ESO’s ELT will also help probe the interaction between two young planets in the same system.

Bohn concludes: “The possibility that future instruments, such as those available on the ELT, will be able to detect even lower-mass planets around this star marks an important milestone in understanding multi-planet systems, with potential implications for the history of our own Solar System.”

link;

https://www.eso.org/public/images/eso2011b/

Bezos loses his stupid lawsuit against NASA.

SpaceX remains the contract holder to take man back to the Moon.

Bezos can now go back to fannying about with his ten minute flying dildo rides for the idle rich. 

Edited by Cade

3 minutes ago, Pap said:

To be fair. You simply dont know that.

None of us are soothsayers, obviously, but it's so ridiculously unlikely I'm comfortable stating it as fact.

Just now, Smithee said:

None of us are soothsayers, obviously, but it's so ridiculously unlikely I'm comfortable stating it as fact.

Why do you feel the need to ridicule people ?

If you disagree with them.

I dont know why but you've turned into a right wank of a poster.

Just now, Ked said:

Why do you feel the need to ridicule people ?

If you disagree with them.

I dont know why but you've turned into a right wank of a poster.

Who's ridiculing anyone?

2 minutes ago, Ked said:

Behave .

Legions is genuine and you are wanky to him.

Cant be arsed arguing semantics.

So you can come in out of nowhere to give me abuse and make an accusation you can't back up, but it's semantics if I point that out?

Wind your neck in

I think what he seems to be getting at is that you swoop in with the same/similar observations (When ML posts regarding lets just say "contact"). The vastness and distances involved seem to make it impossible and a fact in your mind that contact will in this case never be made in our lifetime. But its fact to you. Not scientific fact.

In science, an observation that has been repeatedly confirmed and for all practical purposes is accepted as “true.” Truth in science, however, is never final and what is accepted as a fact today may be modified or even discarded tomorrow.

Its extremely unlikely, to the max that contact (if there even is a race out there that can make that step) to will be made in our lifetime. But its not impossible and certainly not factual.

4 minutes ago, Pap said:

I think what he seems to be getting at is that you swoop in with the same/similar observations (When ML posts regarding lets just say "contact"). The vastness and distances involved seem to make it impossible and a fact in your mind that contact will in this case never be made in our lifetime. But its fact to you. Not scientific fact.

In science, an observation that has been repeatedly confirmed and for all practical purposes is accepted as “true.” Truth in science, however, is never final and what is accepted as a fact today may be modified or even discarded tomorrow.

Its extremely unlikely, to the max that contact (if there even is a race out there that can make that step) to will be made in our lifetime. But its not impossible and certainly not factual.

Every single time legions posts on what is obviously a healthy interest to him .

Every time as you say he swoops.

Doesnt interact with anything other than put downs.

Despite the vastness and enormity of the universe.

Despite even Einstein's laws being put to the test.

I've enough wonder at the universe we know.

Legions wonders beyond that.

Yet Smithee constantly posts behind him as if trying to fek up his expression.

Wank.

Imo

2 minutes ago, Pap said:

If aliens land you can tell me I'm wrong, and I've explained why I feel comfortable stating it as fact, even understanding that I can't see the future. I'm well aware it's not impossible, that's why I've never said it is.

2 hours ago, maroonlegions said:

This is cool as feck.

I have been over the years keeping a close watch on the VLT  (very large telescope), based in Chile.  

This image was captured by it. This shows the first direct image of what is termed an "EXTRA SOLAR SYSTEM" This image was taken by the VLT i  Chile.

Links

First Ever Image of a Multi-Planet System around a Sun-like Star Captured by ESO Telescope;

First ever image of a multi-planet system around a Sun-like star (uncropped, with annotations)

This image is showing a young star, (sun) with 2 giant exoplanets .This sun is similar to our own. Lets not look into the facts that they reckon there are possibly millions of galaxies out there with there very own solar systems.

This solar system  is only 200 light years away..

Begs the question, how many others are out there, still undetected..

To be clear, exoplanets have been directly imaged before, like the several examples in This Link or the image from 2010 of a multi-planet system around a very young version of our Sun (but too young to be called sun-like) in This Link.

What's in the image is the first directly imaged multi-planet system around a sun-like star that would be a good analogy to our own solar system today.

Like this one captured below in 2010; Showing 3 exoplanets orbiting around their sun. 

HR8799crop.jpeg

HR8799 direct imaging planet detection's Credit: Marois et al (2010)

Snippet below from link;

The European Southern Observatory’s Very Large Telescope (ESO’s VLT) has taken the first ever image of a young, Sun-like star accompanied by two giant exoplanets. Images of systems with multiple exoplanets are extremely rare, and — until now — astronomers had never directly observed more than one planet orbiting a star similar to the Sun.

The observations can help astronomers understand how planets formed and evolved around our own Sun.

Just a few weeks ago, ESO revealed a planetary system being born in a new, stunning VLT image. Now, the same telescope, using the same instrument, has taken the first direct image of a planetary system around a star like our Sun, located about 300 light-years away and known as TYC 8998-760-1.

This discovery is a snapshot of an environment that is very similar to our Solar System, but at a much earlier stage of its evolution,” says Alexander Bohn, a PhD student at Leiden University in the Netherlands, who led the new research published today in The Astrophysical Journal Letters

Even though astronomers have indirectly detected thousands of planets in our galaxy, only a tiny fraction of these exoplanets have been directly imaged,” says co-author Matthew Kenworthy, Associate Professor at Leiden University, adding that “direct observations are important in the search for environments that can support life.

The direct imaging of two or more exoplanets around the same star is even more rare; only two such systems have been directly observed so far, both around stars markedly different from our Sun.

The new ESO’s VLT image is the first direct image of more than one exoplanet around a Sun-like star. ESO’s VLT was also the first telescope to directly image an exoplanet, back in 2004, when it captured a speck of light around a brown dwarf, a type of ‘failed’ star.

Our team has now been able to take the first image of two gas giant companions that are orbiting a young, solar analogue,” says Maddalena Reggiani, a postdoctoral researcher from KU Leuven, Belgium, who also participated in the study.

The two planets can be seen in the new image as two bright points of light distant from their parent star, which is located in the upper left of the frame (click on the image to view the full frame).

By taking different images at different times, the team were able to distinguish these planets from the background stars.

The two gas giants orbit their host star at distances of 160 and about 320 times the Earth-Sun distance. This places these planets much further away from their star than Jupiter or Saturn, also two gas giants, are from the Sun; they lie at only 5 and 10 times the Earth-Sun distance, respectively.

The team also found the two exoplanets are much heavier than the ones in our Solar System, the inner planet having 14 times Jupiter’s mass and the outer one six times.

Bohn’s team imaged this system during their search for young, giant planets around stars like our Sun but far younger. The star TYC 8998-760-1 is just 17 million years old and located in the Southern constellation of Musca (The Fly). Bohn describes it as a “very young version of our own Sun.

These images were possible thanks to the high performance of the SPHERE instrument on ESO’s VLT in the Chilean Atacama desert. SPHERE blocks the bright light from the star using a device called coronagraph, allowing the much fainter planets to be seen.

While older planets, such as those in our Solar System, are too cool to be found with this technique, young planets are hotter, and so glow brighter in infrared light.

By taking several images over the past year, as well as using older data going back to 2017, the research team have confirmed that the two planets are part of the star’s system.

Further observations of this system, including with the future ESO Extremely Large Telescope (ELT), will enable astronomers to test whether these planets formed at their current location distant from the star or migrated from elsewhere. ESO’s ELT will also help probe the interaction between two young planets in the same system.

Bohn concludes: “The possibility that future instruments, such as those available on the ELT, will be able to detect even lower-mass planets around this star marks an important milestone in understanding multi-planet systems, with potential implications for the history of our own Solar System.”

link;

https://www.eso.org/public/images/eso2011b/

Thanks for posting this and the links. I’m currently reading Hawking’s A brief history of time and it’s mind bending thought provoking madness. The sheer size of the universe is hard to comprehend. One day human beings will have to leave this planet in search of a new home where as my thoughts are on Hearts signing a striker in January! 

10 minutes ago, Ked said:

Every single time legions posts on what is obviously a healthy interest to him .

Every time as you say he swoops.

Doesnt interact with anything other than put downs.

Despite the vastness and enormity of the universe.

Despite even Einstein's laws being put to the test.

I've enough wonder at the universe we know.

Legions wonders beyond that.

Yet Smithee constantly posts behind him as if trying to fek up his expression.

Wank.

Imo

VDfPuVt.gif

maroonlegions

Another area i love, that is FRBs or Fast Radio Bursts from deep space.

These FRBs were first detected in 2007. 

This particular one is on a 16 day cycle..

Scientists have captured unprecedented observations of bizarre signals in space, revealing new insights about why some of these unexplained pulses, known as fast radio bursts (FRBs), appear to flash in clear periodic patterns.

It gets weirder: two of those repeaters show periodicity in their pulses, meaning that they have distinct active and dormant phases.

Some scientists have proposed that this periodicity is caused by FRB sources located in messy environments that are clouded with supernova debris or wind-swept gas from companion stars.

This stellar material could intermittently block radio signals from our perspective on Earth, creating the active and dormant phases, or so this hypothesis suggests. 

In other words, the regular cycles of some repeater signals may be caused by environmental factors rather than some characteristic of the source itself. Now, however, a new study has ruled this explanation out. ???

link;

www.vice.com...

On 05/11/2021 at 08:14, maroonlegions said:

Link source;  

The theory of Panspermia is not a new idea, it was almost certainly discussed by the philosophical scientists of ancient Greece. Even if that is not the case, the theory was formalised by the Swedish Nobel Prize Winning chemist/physicist Svante Arrhenius as early as 1908 in his book “World in the Making: The Evolution of the World”. Arrhenius built on the conclusions of earlier scientists interested in the Evolution of Life and is well known by scientists interested in the origins of life and laymen of the same persuasion. Incidentally, he was also the first to mathematically show that man-made CO2 emissions would result in a geometric elevation of the Earth’s temperature thereby predicting the “greenhouse effect”.

However, the theory of Panspermia has two major problems. The first is the seeding method itself – how can long chain, self-replicating organic molecules clinging to the surface of an asteroid survive the enormous temperatures of entry through the Earth’s atmosphere.

The second is akin to the religious problem. Just as the thorny question of where does God come from is a problem for theists, the theory of Panspermia has no answer to the question of how long chain, self-replicating organic molecules evolved and under what conditions.

Although, science might find answers to the two Panspermia problems, the scientists who conducted the quoted papers, merely quote a discovery and wisely offered no link to the Panspermia theory.

That link is made by our resident postman ML whose imagination knows no bounds and never hesitates to copy and paste some scientific paper mentioned on the David Icke forums or similar and then to extrapolate the conclusions to suit his own beliefs.

The extrapolation he has made here is not only unwarranted and untrue but dangerous.

On 05/11/2021 at 07:40, maroonlegions said:

So tell me when I've "had a go at those who believe in possible advanced alien intelligence's"? I have consistently held the view, like the vast majority of other scientists that I am aware of, that there are certainly other civilisations within this universe. There are certainly other civilisations that are at different levels of technological advancement and/or evolution. There are certainly other civilisations which have gone extinct or are just begining. I am a scientist with over 20 peer reviewed published articles in world renowned journals. I am not telling you this to show off. I am telling you this because if I read something which sufficiently challenges my beliefs then I will gladly drop my previous way of thinking. Everything I read or see I view critically. Nothing I have read or seen shows that aliens have visited the Earth, especially most of the stuff you copy and paste.

However, this is not your way. You will believe anything that agrees with your views and reject anythng that disagrees with your views. You live and breath to meet an alien. You can't wait. From what I have seen you collect articles which have a single thing in common - they all agree and support your belief about aliens. This isn't science this is just a collection and nothing more, it may as well be a collection of milk cartons. You do not understand science or know what it is about. Every scientific experiment is desgned to question prevailing thought. The hypothesis being tested is in the negative. If scientists just collected stuff that agreed with prevailing thought or did experiments designed to agree with previous results we would still live in caves.

BTW the abbreviation ect which you seem to be rather fond of is rubbish, the correct abbreviation is etc, et cetera from the Latin meaning "and so forth", I believe. A small correction but an indicative one.

On 08/01/2017 at 18:53, Awbdy Oot said:

Anybody into the old stargazing malarkey?

I've just been given one of these telescopes and am looking forward to getting it set up and plan to take a real interest in it. The shear scale of what's out there scares the bejesus out of me but fascinates at the same time.

http://i.imgur.com/JVV2ayI.gif

Apparently once I've got it set up I can point at any star / planet and it will tell me what it is called, alternatively I can ask it to give me a tour of some of the bodies in it's database and it automatically locks onto them through the viewfinder.

Cannae wait, I'm like a big kid with a new toy.

Hi, It looks like you have got yourself a Celestron 6 inch Dobsonian with a Go-To alt-az mount. Do you still have it and use it? I've just bought my wife a 10 inch Dobsonian Go-To and I know that the 6, 8 and 10 inch are great telescopes, veritable light buckets. At the moment down here in the southern hemisphere, we have great views of Venus, Saturn, Jupiter. Neptune and Uranus is seeable if we have clear night skies. M42 is visible in the west but will shift to the eastern skies over our summer months.

We live in the country but still use light pollution reduction filters on all our telescopes. They are not too expensive and really do  help. It'd be great to hear about your progress.

Russia conducted two anti satellite weapons tests in space over the weekend.  

They destroyed two of their old satellites and created a debris field that is orbiting on a path that intersects with the International Space Station.

If you've seen the damage that even small particles of matter can cause when travelling at 15,000 MPH, you'd be quite tense about this situation.

NASA are furious, China are not happy and the rest of the world is annoyed.

:silviodamn:

2 hours ago, Cade said:

They destroyed two of their old satellites and created a debris field that is orbiting on a path that intersects with the International Space Station.

If you've seen the damage that even small particles of matter can cause when travelling at 15,000 MPH, you'd be quite tense about this situation.

Think they moved the ISS out the way.

Pretty ridiculous from them though.

1 hour ago, hughesie27 said:

Think they moved the ISS out the way.

Pretty ridiculous from them though.

Aye, all the crew had to go into the soyuz and crew dragon capsules as a precaution and they boosted the orbit a bit.

Totally irresponsible from the Russians.

They could, and should, have degraded the orbit of their target satellites so the debris field was formed at a lower altitude.

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/11/2021 at 04:51, Cade said:

And consider this is exactly what would happen right at the outset of any collision between the major powers. All satellites will be taken out creating a debris shell around the entire planet that will shred anything the missiles missed.

Space could be out of bounds for generations since it would impossible to put anything into orbit. There goes GPS and a lot more besides.

Plenty of companies are developing satellites that will clear up all the other old satellites that are in parking orbits or otherwise cluttering up space.

They're tiny wee and anchor themselves to the target then fire a thruster to de-orbit both of them to burn up in the atmosphere.

There's 70 years worth of junk floating around up there.

20 hours ago, Cade said:

Plenty of companies are developing satellites that will clear up all the other old satellites that are in parking orbits or otherwise cluttering up space.

They're tiny wee and anchor themselves to the target then fire a thruster to de-orbit both of them to burn up in the atmosphere.

There's 70 years worth of junk floating around up there.

And if/when the shooting starts that 70 years worth of junk will be like an anthill next to a mountain when the new junk takes it's place. So much junk it will be constantly colliding over and over for years creating ever more junk. Probably talking millions of individual objects ranging in size from sand grain to inches and feet.

10 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I watched that the other night. Leonard is brilliant at explaining such complex matters so those without the deep knowledge he has understand it. It’s crazy to think that the laws of physics we know now will probably be made completely redundant in years to come. 

21 hours ago, Des Lynam said:

I watched that the other night. Leonard is brilliant at explaining such complex matters so those without the deep knowledge he has understand it. It’s crazy to think that the laws of physics we know now will probably be made completely redundant in years to come. 

He surprised me, I knew the math for string theory, quantum mechanics etc. was purportedly pretty sound but did not know it's pretty much settled. Or at the very least in his view it is. Which is what he appears to be saying. "it's not science fiction with equations"

So his problem is that in his opinion his take on it is mathematically proven but the experimentalists can't think of a way to test it. And some sort of testable feature is pretty much a requirement in this field.

It all pisses me off somewhat because it's always the same with this shit. As soon as you think you're getting somewhere with this thing another can of worms opens. But maybe it's due.

It's been noted that there were a little over 200 years between Newton publishing on gravity then Einstein expanding on it which at the time was world changing. Which is exactly why Einstein is probably the most famous scientist of all time to this day. Who doesn't know his face? Would most know Newtons face?

The pace of progress in the modern world is light years ahead of that which was the norm in the gap between Newton and Einstein. It's now been 116 years since Einstein published a paper that changed the world forever. Like I said, maybe it's due.