Pittodrie "Unfit for Purpose"

N Lincs Jambo

IveSeenTheLight

He does have a job interview on Friday of course

:lol:

The biggest stand out for me was when he quoted the preparations ahead of particular games, one being against Hearts and the lack of facilities to prepare properly and professionally.

We rally need to get this approved in order to bring the club forward

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply
IveSeenTheLight

There's also a "Westhill for Kingsford" group in favour of it.

Plenty of tweets from Westhill residents for it as well

#AllForAurora

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I wouldn't say it is a myth, I'm only really referencing modern times - hence why I mentioned since our recent troubles we encountered, which was in reference to admin and relegation. Since then the fans seem to have a sense of duty that they should attend Tynecastle regardless of how we're doing, hence why last season we still saw average attendances of 16,000+ (with many sell outs) despite the fact we were, relatively speaking, pretty dire for much of the campaign. And again this pre-season despite the dreadful end to the last campaign and a general feeling of uncertainty about where we were going on the pitch we are still looking at again breaking season ticket sales and outselling the likes of Aberdeen (who are a much better team) by 3,000+ (from the figures I last saw). 

In my time watching football Hearts have generally had a better home support than Aberdeen, although they have been a better team on the whole during my time (I missed the 80s and early 90s...) but I do realise that the recent swell was due to the financial problems. My point is just that the fans have continued with their solidarity since then and continue to turn out in numbers even when things are going badly on the field, and even though there isn't the same critical need for their support. I may be wrong but I don't believe Aberdeen would have the same reaction if things started going pear shaped again. I reckon the tendency would be to start skipping matches. 

And this is my point Laurie re the location.

I think and you have most likely noticed it too, there is a real buzz about the city for Aberdeen. But its been missing up until the last couple of seasons beyond die hards. One thing Aberdeen fans have said to me is that they didn't feel they could pull something off like the FoH, too many expect the investment without their own investment, be that time or money.

Westhill is not far out of Aberdeen, I travel every day to the village for work. But you cant walk there. Park and ride, well you still have to park and you still have to get home. A whole new dynamic.

When successful these people will go, but if Aberdeen start lagging behind Rangers and most reasonable people would expect that to occur at some point in the not too distant future, things could be tough.

I still think its the right thing to do in the absence of much better solutions as detailed by LL, so there really isn't really a question in the football clubs mind. They cant stay there.

As a footnote, hadn't realised Kings Links was an option, over my dead body!!!

It's a bit of a myth that Hearts fans turn up when the team is poor and Aberdeen's don't. The swell in Hearts numbers in recent years wasn't because the team was poor and needed support, it was because the club was close to going bust. Likewise, in 94/95 when Aberdeen were on the brink of relegation we were playing to full houses and filling the away ends round the country as the support rallied.

What Aberdeen haven't done in recent years is increased the crowds as much despite the on-field success. The downturn in the oil industry is a big part of that, but I believe it's also the stadium.

It may seem strange for a 20,000 capacity stadium, but after sales reach 12,000 it can be difficult to find a good seat. The RD lower and the middle of the south are generally sold out. The Merkland is the family stand but takes up a large block of seats - the club tried moving them to free up those seats but found it difficult to place them elsewhere. The main stand is expensive yet the facilities and comfort poor. So when you're trying to pick where you're going to sit, your choice is the RD upper which, due to the change in pitch layout since it was built, means you can't actually see the goal line at that side no matter where you're sitting. Or you can buy for the uncovered section of the south stand and get soaked. That's a good 5,000-6,000 seats that the club find difficult to sell because no-one really wants them (but they still stick a ?26 price tag on them regardless).

I don't think you have that same problem at Tynecastle or Easter Road, and we won't have that problem in the new stadium either.

The choice is a 20 minute shuttle bus to a cracking stadium, or a short walk to a miserable, crumbling stadium.

What a steaming pile of dug shite. 

Whataboutery at its finest! :lol:

Lord Beni of Gorgie

The biggest stand out for me was when he quoted the preparations ahead of particular games, one being against Hearts and the lack of facilities to prepare properly and professionally.

We rally need to get this approved in order to bring the club forward

Do they still train at Balgownie? Never my favourite pitches

Bazzas right boot

Back on topic, pitodrie is perfect suitable for purpose.

The purpose being to watch a shit Football team in a freezing cold outdated arena, it gets a 10/10 from me.

Unknown user

They have agreements with bus companies (it's in the stadium application) to hire 103 buses on match days, which they say is enough to transport 5,700 to games from the city centre and various park and rides.

In addition, there are the normal bus routes that go past the stadium anyway and the bus company that runs these buses have said they'll likely increase the frequency of these services on match day.

I think they could go further though. The only link-up they have is with Aberdeen train station, but once the AWPR is built then Dyce and Stonehaven train stations would be 20 mins away. Surprised they haven't had the foresight to run buses direct to these stations and put fans straight on a football special.

By car the stadium is far easier to get to than Pittodrie and the traffic will disperse a lot quicker than Pittodrie too. But that's not altogether a good thing, as they're meant to be convincing the council that people will take public transport rather than increasing car use.

And the other 15,000 people?

IveSeenTheLight

Do they still train at Balgownie? Never my favourite pitches

They currently use a number of options, all cited in DM's speech.

Balgownie is mostly for the development squad I think these days.

All points to the need for modern training facilities

Unknown user

They'll probably take the car. They still have those in Aberdeen.

And you have how many parking spaces planned at the stadium?

Will they drink much in the supporters bars do you think?

IveSeenTheLight

Only 12% purely walk to the game at Pittodrie, everyone else takes some form of transport.

From your hypothetical 11,300 home fans above (5,700 + 5,600), that equates to  1,356 who will need to get the bus that normally don't need to.

There are plenty parking at the stadium and lots of options close by (Lawsondale, Arnhall and Kingswells P&R).

As for drinking, I don;t usually pre and post match as I drive, but I'll be  hugely tempted to use the P&R and partake in a few before and after in the supporters bar.

Just as a matter of interest why exactly do you think it looks better than our new stand?

Going by a computer generated model, their glazed fa?ade is in a very similar curtainwall system to ours - without the curve.

The glass facade in the model seems to be using more opaque glass than ours, meaning how good it looks will be less dependent on the angle it is viewed at. The grey strips look less obvious. It looks a bit less like an office block. Reality could of course differ a fair bit from the model, but I can only go by the mockup.

The glossy red and white panels wrapping around the entire stadium and the giant crests also look good.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Only 12% purely walk to the game at Pittodrie, everyone else takes some form of transport.

From your hypothetical 11,300 home fans above (5,700 + 5,600), that equates to  1,356 who will need to get the bus that normally don't need to.

There are plenty parking at the stadium and lots of options close by (Lawsondale, Arnhall and Kingswells P&R).

As for drinking, I don;t usually pre and post match as I drive, but I'll be  hugely tempted to use the P&R and partake in a few before and after in the supporters bar.

I am forming an Arnhall protest group as I speak typing from Arnhall  :lol:

The glass facade in the model seems to be using more opaque glass than ours, meaning how good it looks will be less dependent on the angle it is viewed at. The grey strips look less obvious. It looks a bit less like an office block. Reality could of course differ a fair bit from the model, but I can only go by the mockup.

The glossy red and white panels wrapping around the entire stadium and the giant crests also look good.

As I think we all know what is shown on a computer generated artists impression may look quite different in reality....

As I think we all know what is shown on a computer generated artists impression may look quite different in reality....

:D

IveSeenTheLight

I am forming an Arnhall protest group as I speak typing from Arnhall  :lol:

LOL, just join up with the NoKingsford group.

They might be able to pass on some knitting patterns to you as a bonus ;)

Well, as I've already stated the transport strategy needs to go further, and a link up with both train stations would do that.

But, there's going to be thousands going by car, in the same way thousands go to Tynecastle despite all the transport options there.

Parking. The on site stadium parking (which the council made them reduce from 1600 to 1350), plus Arnhall (600) and Kingswells p&r (900) provide just under 3,000 official parking spaces. There's obviously the Dyce and bridge of don park and rides too, and about 1,600 spaces at the new AECC too, though all of these are reliant on shuttle buses.

But, I think we all know, with the greatest will in the world, fans will Park at the prime four retail park when finished, they will Park at Tesco, they will park in Westhill and Kingswells. Obviously Aberdeen can't put that on the stadium application but no-one will have a problem finding a parking space. And if 20,000 went by car it'd still be easier and quicker to get home for the majority than 10,000 going to Pittodrie.

In an ideal world it would be next to a train, tram, or metro line. Labour council had spoken about having a light rail system to link the airport, Dyce train station, and the new AECC. Think the new council have gone cold on that but if it ever did come to fruition maybe they extend it towards the stadium. I doubt we'll see that by 2020 but I think if the stadium gets built there then the city adapts in time to it.

But no-body is going to say "I wanted to go to the game but I had no way of getting there".

Watt-Zeefuik

It's a bit of a myth that Hearts fans turn up when the team is poor and Aberdeen's don't. The swell in Hearts numbers in recent years wasn't because the team was poor and needed support, it was because the club was close to going bust. Likewise, in 94/95 when Aberdeen were on the brink of relegation we were playing to full houses and filling the away ends round the country as the support rallied.

What Aberdeen haven't done in recent years is increased the crowds as much despite the on-field success. The downturn in the oil industry is a big part of that, but I believe it's also the stadium.

It may seem strange for a 20,000 capacity stadium, but after sales reach 12,000 it can be difficult to find a good seat. The RD lower and the middle of the south are generally sold out. The Merkland is the family stand but takes up a large block of seats - the club tried moving them to free up those seats but found it difficult to place them elsewhere. The main stand is expensive yet the facilities and comfort poor. So when you're trying to pick where you're going to sit, your choice is the RD upper which, due to the change in pitch layout since it was built, means you can't actually see the goal line at that side no matter where you're sitting. Or you can buy for the uncovered section of the south stand and get soaked. That's a good 5,000-6,000 seats that the club find difficult to sell because no-one really wants them (but they still stick a ?26 price tag on them regardless).

I don't think you have that same problem at Tynecastle or Easter Road, and we won't have that problem in the new stadium either.

The choice is a 20 minute shuttle bus to a cracking stadium, or a short walk to a miserable, crumbling stadium.

This is the best explanation I've seen of why Aberdeen's attendance is so low so often (aside from apathy, and attending games regularly can be a great tonic for that).

And Laurie has thoroughly responded to the "myth" comment. If we showed up regularly (and tuned in from afar) during the Cathro era, when the club's future was largely secure and the football was almost unwatchable, we'll show up anytime.  Sure, an extended run of Cathroball could kill the club, but things already look better under Daly.

It looks better than our new main stand, let's be honest.

Perhaps we should wait until it's built before we start comparing. Plans have been known to change as we are all now well aware.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

LOL, just join up with the NoKingsford group.

They might be able to pass on some knitting patterns to you as a bonus ;)

Your fine. One thing that annoys me more than Sheep are anti progress campaigners.

Total sadsacks

Hate this stadium already and work has not already started.

Buses there and back sounds horrific.

Imagine the scramble for buses after the game has finished.

This is a potentially risky move by Aberdeen. There's lots of research into the viability of out of town multiuse stadiums and its vastly against them when compared to an in town option.

I assume because aberdeen has quite a distributed support already used to travelling to home games they think it's worth risking.

If aberdeen do well it shouldn't affect them. However when they have their inevitable downturn after mcinness leaves, we get our act together, etc you could see more casual attendees slip away if its more effort and more expensive to get to games.

Having said that I want us to get the finals of the euros sometime so the more good stadiums the better. For everyday fans though, out of town is definitely not better.

This is a potentially risky move by Aberdeen. There's lots of research into the viability of out of town multiuse stadiums and its vastly against them when compared to an in town option.

The bigger worry isn't how Aberdeen make this stadium work, it's what do we do if it gets rejected.

iveseenthelight posted a video above of Derek McInnes making a speech last night. In it he said players who have signed have been promised the training facilities are on the way. He named Graeme Shinnie and Kenny McLean specifically, suggesting they both asked about it during their contract negotiations. One of them (McLean) is currently stalling on a new deal.

McInnes spoke about the problems he has without training facilities. He told the story of when we played Hearts in December. He explained that the pitch they were using was double booked, and that they had to use a third of a pitch, with royal bank of scotland staff using the rest of it for a kickabout. He said they then had a decision to make, do they go through their pre-match plans, essentially giving away the team meaning one of those bankers could go and stick it on social media, or do they not go through that pre-match routine and hope for the best on the night at Tynecastle.

McInnes and half the team could be off if this gets rejected. And then what? We have nowhere yet to build the training facilities. Pittodrie can't be redeveloped, not to a 20,000 capacity stadium, and even a reduced capacity stadium is unlikely to have all the things we're planning in the new stadium like improved corporate hospitality, tv screens, musuem, memorial garden, supporters bars, fanzone. It'll be the richard donald stand plus three stands akin to New Douglas Park. Maybe they then decide to build at kings links which appears to be the only city centre location available, which has it own problems because the foundations have a lot of sand content and the closer to the coast you get the more problematic it becomes, but it also means we have to split the training ground and stadium into two separate sites - which the club say will cost upwards of ?6m extra. Or, they go searching for another site big enough for a dual facility, which would likely be outside the city boundary, meaning the risk you talk about it is still there, and we have this same conversation in two years time when we talk about Blackburn, Balmedie or Portlethen.

Building at Kingsford doesn't seem that big a risk when all that is considered. In fairness to the club it wasn't their first choice, Loirston was, and the council put the brakes on that by their sheer stupidity. It might be a (fairly) new council now, but they owe us one here.

Video of the new stadium here for anyone interested:

Looks great to be fair. If the sheep don't mind going there then they should go for it. Staying where they are isn't an option. Stewart Milne was on the telly the other night and I thought he was about to burst out greeting about the impending decision. Looked busted

The bigger worry isn't how Aberdeen make this stadium work, it's what do we do if it gets rejected.

iveseenthelight posted a video above of Derek McInnes making a speech last night. In it he said players who have signed have been promised the training facilities are on the way. He named Graeme Shinnie and Kenny McLean specifically, suggesting they both asked about it during their contract negotiations. One of them (McLean) is currently stalling on a new deal.

McInnes spoke about the problems he has without training facilities. He told the story of when we played Hearts in December. He explained that the pitch they were using was double booked, and that they had to use a third of a pitch, with royal bank of scotland staff using the rest of it for a kickabout. He said they then had a decision to make, do they go through their pre-match plans, essentially giving away the team meaning one of those bankers could go and stick it on social media, or do they not go through that pre-match routine and hope for the best on the night at Tynecastle.

McInnes and half the team could be off if this gets rejected. And then what? We have nowhere yet to build the training facilities. Pittodrie can't be redeveloped, not to a 20,000 capacity stadium, and even a reduced capacity stadium is unlikely to have all the things we're planning in the new stadium like improved corporate hospitality, tv screens, musuem, memorial garden, supporters bars, fanzone. It'll be the richard donald stand plus three stands akin to New Douglas Park. Maybe they then decide to build at kings links which appears to be the only city centre location available, which has it own problems because the foundations have a lot of sand content and the closer to the coast you get the more problematic it becomes, but it also means we have to split the training ground and stadium into two separate sites - which the club say will cost upwards of ?6m extra. Or, they go searching for another site big enough for a dual facility, which would likely be outside the city boundary, meaning the risk you talk about it is still there, and we have this same conversation in two years time when we talk about Blackburn, Balmedie or Portlethen.

Building at Kingsford doesn't seem that big a risk when all that is considered. In fairness to the club it wasn't their first choice, Loirston was, and the council put the brakes on that by their sheer stupidity. It might be a (fairly) new council now, but they owe us one here.

Aberdeen's average attendance was around 13,000 last season when they were 2nd by a long way, were in Europe and got to a cup final.

I can't see how moving to an out of town stadium will increase attendances - more likely to reduce as Aberdeen are unlikely to keep up the form they've been in with more challengers around them. Big mistake not to redevelop Pittodrie and settle for a smaller capacity if needed IMO. IF they can't get fan backing when they're flying high when will they?

Unknown user

Well, as I've already stated the transport strategy needs to go further, and a link up with both train stations would do that.

But, there's going to be thousands going by car, in the same way thousands go to Tynecastle despite all the transport options there.

Parking. The on site stadium parking (which the council made them reduce from 1600 to 1350), plus Arnhall (600) and Kingswells p&r (900) provide just under 3,000 official parking spaces. There's obviously the Dyce and bridge of don park and rides too, and about 1,600 spaces at the new AECC too, though all of these are reliant on shuttle buses.

But, I think we all know, with the greatest will in the world, fans will Park at the prime four retail park when finished, they will Park at Tesco, they will park in Westhill and Kingswells. Obviously Aberdeen can't put that on the stadium application but no-one will have a problem finding a parking space. And if 20,000 went by car it'd still be easier and quicker to get home for the majority than 10,000 going to Pittodrie.

In an ideal world it would be next to a train, tram, or metro line. Labour council had spoken about having a light rail system to link the airport, Dyce train station, and the new AECC. Think the new council have gone cold on that but if it ever did come to fruition maybe they extend it towards the stadium. I doubt we'll see that by 2020 but I think if the stadium gets built there then the city adapts in time to it.

But no-body is going to say "I wanted to go to the game but I had no way of getting there".

Westhill and Kingswells, I don't claim to know the area well, are there walking routes? I seem to remember someone saying it would be walking through fields but that's obviously not right.

I have doubts about how realistic the plans are as the transport simply doesn't add up. But more than that, if you do get everything in place the type of arrangements we're talking about WILL put a percentage of people off once the novelty's gone, especially in winter.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Reading the news apparently its in contravention of planning law.

Requires Donald Trump. Got his golf course eventually. Im not any richer for it mind you

SectionDJambo

Hearts and Hibs have had a situation, where their identities within the city are strongly linked to where their stadiums are. The plan for both to play at Straiton would have been a disaster. They both did the correct and best thing, by redeveloping on their historic sites. The grounds changed, but the spirit of both remained intact.

English clubs have, largely done the same, except for a few. Arsenal stayed in the same immediate area, even though they moved from Highbury. Spurs and Manchester United, as just a couple of examples, have redeveloped on the original sites.

It has to be remembered the benefits and consistency a football club staying put has on the local community, which has grown to depend on, and be identified with, the club.

Gorgie and Leith would have suffered badly had Hearts and Hibs gone.

Newcastle, as another example, would be a different city on a "home" Saturday if they had moved out of town. I've no idea if Sunderland moving hit the Roker Park area badly, but it can't have helped it.

A European example of a major club staying on its original site is Borussia Dortmund. Again the benefits to the local economy and community are immense.

So there are, in my opinion, many factors for the likes of Aberdeen, and it's local council, to consider before cementing any move. Tradition and economics to the city are certainly two of them.

Hearts and Hibs have had a situation, where their identities within the city are strongly linked to where their stadiums are. The plan for both to play at Straiton would have been a disaster. They both did the correct and best thing, by redeveloping on their historic sites. The grounds changed, but the spirit of both remained intact.

English clubs have, largely done the same, except for a few. Arsenal stayed in the same immediate area, even though they moved from Highbury. Spurs and Manchester United, as just a couple of examples, have redeveloped on the original sites.

It has to be remembered the benefits and consistency a football club staying put has on the local community, which has grown to depend on, and be identified with, the club.

Gorgie and Leith would have suffered badly had Hearts and Hibs gone.

Newcastle, as another example, would be a different city on a "home" Saturday if they had moved out of town. I've no idea if Sunderland moving hit the Roker Park area badly, but it can't have helped it.

A European example of a major club staying on its original site is Borussia Dortmund. Again the benefits to the local economy and community are immense.

So there are, in my opinion, many factors for the likes of Aberdeen, and it's local council, to consider before cementing any move. Tradition and economics to the city are certainly two of them.

There's also an extremely strong environmental argument for inner city stadiums.

IveSeenTheLight

Reading the news apparently its in contravention of planning law.

Requires Donald Trump. Got his golf course eventually. Im not any richer for it mind you

What planning law is that?

Green belt? They've managed to build Costco, Tesco and a number of Industrial sites around the area.

Gas pipeline? I thought that was consulted to be fine.

Lets hope they stick to the planning laws and tell Aberdeen to go and find another site.

Trying to get false sympathy by telling the world Pittodrie is not fit for purpose when they can easily rebuild it stand by stand.

Their chairman is simply hoping to get a decent piece of land in Aberdeen to build another one of his estates

IveSeenTheLight

Lets hope they stick to the planning laws and tell Aberdeen to go and find another site.

Trying to get false sympathy by telling the world Pittodrie is not fit for purpose when they can easily rebuild it stand by stand.

Their chairman is simply hoping to get a decent piece of land in Aberdeen to build another one of his estates

Your missing the point.

Commercially it's not viable.

We cannot redevelop Pittodrie for the same net costs, are landlocked and it does not cater for the training site which is a huge requirement.

Unknown user

Your missing the point.

We cannot redevelop Pittodrie for the same net costs, are landlocked and it does not cater for the training site which is a huge requirement.

Tynecastle is a smaller site I believe and you don't NEED the training grounds to be at the stadium. The subsidence argument doesn't work either as a new stand would simply have better foundations, so as you say, it's financial.

I get that, especially as many of you don't seem to be that attached to the place. I still don't think the new one is a great sounding plan though and you still have to find a LOT of money without a FoH to turn to. Good luck, basically.

Your missing the point.

You are missing the point.....I don't care

I am a Hearts fan and why should I want you to develop a new stadium and training ground ?...what did you do for us ?..nothing

You and your club (led by the man who has done major harm to Scottish football by refusing to change the voting structure when the chance was there but sided with Celtic to stick to an 11-1 figure) can do what others have done and redevelop your current home and build a training site 15 miles outside the city.

Total nonsense spouted about commercial viability.. how are we doing it then ?

Your missing the point.

Sounds like the shit the pieman used to come out with.

Hearts,Hibs,Rangers and Celtic training grounds arent anywhere near there stadiums.

So why is such a requirement for a club like aberdeen?

IveSeenTheLight

You are missing the point.....I don't care

I am a Hearts fan and why should I want you to develop a new stadium and training ground ?...what did you do for us ?..nothing

You and your club (led by the man who has done major harm to Scottish football by refusing to change the voting structure when the chance was there but sided with Celtic to stick to an 11-1 figure) can do what others have done and redevelop your current home and build a training site 15 miles outside the city.

Total nonsense spouted about commercial viability.. how are we doing it then ?

I considered not replying as most of your post was just aggressive, probably because of our previous discussions where you vehimantly support Rangers brushing their corruption under the carpet, but to answer the bit I bolted, your are redeveloping 1 stand, we need to do 3 + develop training grounds

IveSeenTheLight

Sounds like the shit the pieman used to come out with.

Hearts,Hibs,Rangers and Celtic training grounds arent anywhere near there stadiums.

So why is such a requirement for a club like aberdeen?

Even your own chairman cited she would have prefered co-locations, but it was not viable for Hearts.

It is viable for us.

Unknown user

Even your own chairman cited she would have prefered co-locations, but it was not viable for Hearts.

It is viable for us.

"Viable" is an interesting assertion, how much is this costing again?

IveSeenTheLight

"Viable" is an interesting assertion, how much is this costing again?

The whole thing will cost ?50M, but net I'm not sure once you deduct Pittodrie, Naming rights, etc.

Probably still need to get around ?20M.

We could not redevelop Pittodrie and establish new training facilities for that.

Aberdeen's average attendance was around 13,000 last season when they were 2nd by a long way, were in Europe and got to a cup final.

I can't see how moving to an out of town stadium will increase attendances - more likely to reduce as Aberdeen are unlikely to keep up the form they've been in with more challengers around them. Big mistake not to redevelop Pittodrie and settle for a smaller capacity if needed IMO. IF they can't get fan backing when they're flying high when will they?

A big mistake not spending millions to reduce the capacity by about 6,000, all just so we can stay at Pittodrie?

Westhill and Kingswells, I don't claim to know the area well, are there walking routes? I seem to remember someone saying it would be walking through fields but that's obviously not right.

I have doubts about how realistic the plans are as the transport simply doesn't add up. But more than that, if you do get everything in place the type of arrangements we're talking about WILL put a percentage of people off once the novelty's gone, especially in winter.

Westhill is walking distance (obviously depends where in Westhill you are, it's a fairly big town. Kingswells would be about a 45 minute walk but there's shuttle buses from the kingwells park and ride which take 5 minutes.

You're saying fans will be put off in winter. Yeh, maybe, but you would think they'll just drive instead of going by public transport. Fans are put off at the moment by Pittodrie.

Unknown user

The whole thing will cost ?50M, but net I'm not sure once you deduct Pittodrie, Naming rights, etc.

Probably still need to get around ?20M.

We could not redevelop Pittodrie and establish new training facilities for that.

?30m from pittodrie and naming rights, that's optimistic as **** IMO. But I suppose the hope is that Wigbert will be willing to pay a good price for the ground to help things along. But another 20 million on top of even that? Twenty million pounds to find in Scottish football...

By the way, I've read a lot about hibs' training ground costing a seven figure sum to run each year compared to our relatively cheap rental of Oriam. This is going to continue to cost

Tynecastle is a smaller site I believe and you don't NEED the training grounds to be at the stadium. The subsidence argument doesn't work either as a new stand would simply have better foundations, so as you say, it's financial.

I get that, especially as many of you don't seem to be that attached to the place. I still don't think the new one is a great sounding plan though and you still have to find a LOT of money without a FoH to turn to. Good luck, basically.

Okay, go and launch plans to rebuild the Wheatfield.

When the architects come back and tell you it can't be done without buying land behind the stand, then come back and we'll have this conversation again.

Unknown user

Okay, go and launch plans to rebuild the Wheatfield.

When the architects come back and tell you it can't be done without buying land behind the stand, then come back and we'll have this conversation again.

Yeah, like I say, it's about money

Nelly Terraces

Shuttle buses. :lol:

Red Cafe. :lol:

AFC fans coming onto another clubs forum trying to convince themselves this will be anything but utterly shite. :lol: :lol: :lol:

If they get planning permission the newest member of the board will help fund the project, may well keep ownership of the stadium until repaid and charge Aberdeen Rent in the meantime

Funding details are very scarce at present ...perhaps very conveniently

I ask again though why should we care.. as a rival club let them suffer whilst undergoing stadium development as all other clubs had to do.

I'm happy for them to continue in business but why support something that may strengthen them ?

Shanks said no

- Blackburn (the only one that is worth considering. Same distance from city centre as Kingsford - though outside city boundary - but crucially just a 10 minute bus ride from Dyce train station or, being right next to the train line they could build their own station. Also close to new AECC so possibility to link up with that, which would provide, along with the Dyce p&r, an extra 2,000 parking spaces. Would actually be a pretty good location and a possible destination should Kingsford be rejected).

Is the slight flaw here not your assertion that you will have almost exclusive access to these parking facilities as if they are sitting there constantly empty awaiting your use? What happens if AECC have an event on one of your matchdays?

Its a bit like St Johnstone saying they have a Tesco Extra car park next door.

Archived