Pittodrie "Unfit for Purpose"

N Lincs Jambo

Bazzas right boot

My concern would be- is the new stadium or facilities going to generate extra revenue?

We have clear benefits to our stand, increased attendance ( including more premium seating), much better catering and hospitality and much reduced maintenance costs when compare to the old set up.

Aberdeen, by my limited knowledge will

reduce the capacity

I assume their hospitality will be improved, but by how much?

extra travel might put off home and away punters

catering was already in house, how much better will this be? remembering that fans might stay in the centre longer and get to the game last minute as their are limited facilities in the area ( think going to a Scotland game?)

you could be saddled with some type of debt for 5- 10 years, will the income exceed this?

even ?20m over ten years will be around ?2.5 m a season.

It looks great, but I am not seeing the benefits.

Our stand at ?14m will keep us at our home, increase our capacity along with more expensive seats,, allow for better and more hospitality, allow us to take catering in house on a wider scale and looks unlikely to carry any debt beyond 2 years, if that and saving I believe around ?350-?500k a year we were paying for the upkeep of the old lady.

Any Aberdeen fans enlighten me?

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bazzas right boot

I am all for this as i never set foot in their current shithole of a stadium and town anyway.

Happy for our resident arsehole codheids to sit for hours on shuttle busses and then plonk themselves down in their soulless half empty ikea stadium then have a wee decaf coffee in their rip off red cafe before freezing their tiny wee nuts off waiting on the shuttle busses to come and pick them up to take them home to their hovels and ugly wives.

Now please GTF sheep and talk shite on your own forum.

Or you could just avoid a thread titled "Pittodrie- unfit for purpose" and as well as avoiding a subject you are not interested in, save posters that are, the time of reading your shite posts.

LL, what would the options be for rebuilding Pittodrie. Have they any contingency plan for that?

The options would be to reduce the capacity. Get a photo of New Douglas Park, stick the Richard Donald Stand where that bus usually sits, and there's your new Pittodrie.

We'd also have no-where to play while this was being built. Hearts have the luxury of Murrayfield.

It'll never happen. If it's not Kingsford then it'll be a new stadium elsewhere.

Location becomes key when performance becomes poor.

I think Aberdeen are living in a bit of cloud cuckoo land if they think the current level of success is going to be sustainable. They could hold a top 2 position for a couple more years yes, even a top 4 position for 10 years. But there will still be a problem inevitably somewhere down the line.

Unless they fill that place with 50000 people and get around 1 million customers globally, they are deluding themselves.

As things stand, we have 2 giants in this country. One has been crippled but it will undoubtedly find its feet sometime in the next decade.

Then we have the next tier of 3 Hearts, Aberdeen and Hibs are proving for the moment at least, there is indeed some sort of fanbase. For these 3 success is critical, or people will drift.

Hearts and Hibs are more community based clubs than Aberdeen.

But before the Aberdeen guys shoot me down, what I see wandering around Tescos or taking my kids places, are Aberdeen shirts everywhere. This wasn't the case even 2 years ago, so Aberdeen are on an upward curve with community support.

The problem is sustaining it. And that is where the out of town location at some point, though perhaps not immediately will backfire.

Pittodrie should really be at least 75% full most weeks at the moment. If you cant do it now, then the people up here who are either too lazy, apathetic or simply prefer English football (I know loads of these) are not going to trek out to Westhill to watch a team with perhaps a 50% or less win record.

They go on about the 'economic downturn'. But relatively speaking there is still decent money in area. Its an excuse. People are choosing to do other things.

IveSeenTheLight

They go on about the 'economic downturn'. But relatively speaking there is still decent money in area. Its an excuse. People are choosing to do other things.

There is still decent money if you have kept your job.

Still redundancies going on and I know quite a few engineers that are working on the AWPR to keep an income.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Aberdeen is still a relatively very well off city. I really haven't heard of one single disaster story. Certainly people are having to wait for work in between jobs, but the ones I know of all ended up with something not too dissimilar.

My concern would be- is the new stadium or facilities going to generate extra revenue?

We have clear benefits to our stand, increased attendance ( including more premium seating), much better catering and hospitality and much reduced maintenance costs when compare to the old set up.

Aberdeen, by my limited knowledge will

reduce the capacity

I assume their hospitality will be improved, but by how much?

extra travel might put off home and away punters

catering was already in house, how much better will this be? remembering that fans might stay in the centre longer and get to the game last minute as their are limited facilities in the area ( think going to a Scotland game?)

you could be saddled with some type of debt for 5- 10 years, will the income exceed this?

even ?20m over ten years will be around ?2.5 m a season.

It looks great, but I am not seeing the benefits.

Our stand at ?14m will keep us at our home, increase our capacity along with more expensive seats,, allow for better and more hospitality, allow us to take catering in house on a wider scale and looks unlikely to carry any debt beyond 2 years, if that and saving I believe around ?350-?500k a year we were paying for the upkeep of the old lady.

Any Aberdeen fans enlighten me?

Well capacity at the moment is apparently 20,800, and it never reaches that even when the ground is sold out (usually 20,300 is the attendance), and the capacity of this new stadium is to be around 20,000, so not going to be much of a loss.

Hospitality. Club want everything in one stand. At the moment they have it split across two stands which they say isn't efficient.

Extra revenue: Besides hoping to increase ticket sales and corporate, with the supporters bar and cafe open as bonuses, main one will be spending less. Pittodrie currently costs ?700,000 a year on maintenance costs, while we're having to pay to hire out training facilities.

I dont really buy the "fans will be put off by travelling". Aberdeen is a small city, it doesn't take all day to travel around it. Try going to the Juventus stadium from Turin city centre. It's either 35-40 minutes on a bus, or you get the metro then a tram which takes you a good 25-30 mins total journey time. And you have to queue in a crowd of 40,000 fans to get on these things to get back. Ibrox is actually a fair old wait for the subway, and Celtic it's either a long walk or wait for the train at Bellgrove.

If the team is doing well, and the stadium is in good nick, fans will go. Think Juve increased their crowds by about 20,000 when they built the new ground.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

The options would be to reduce the capacity. Get a photo of New Douglas Park, stick the Richard Donald Stand where that bus usually sits, and there's your new Pittodrie.

We'd also have no-where to play while this was being built. Hearts have the luxury of Murrayfield.

It'll never happen. If it's not Kingsford then it'll be a new stadium elsewhere.

What if the land doesn't become available like this one? Playing devils advocate.

I think it will go through in any case. All I really saw apart from the pleas by notable fans was the no campaign suggesting he had the ability to develop Pittodrie and the Council would be defying Planning law if it was put through.

Not as if the land is producing any sort of benefit to the residents at the moment anyhow, the bit that always confuses me, why people are so dead against a development

Buffalo Bill

When is this stadium likely to be given the go-ahead?

And what percentage of fans (roughly) are in favour of it?

Unknown user

Well capacity at the moment is apparently 20,800, and it never reaches that even when the ground is sold out (usually 20,300 is the attendance), and the capacity of this new stadium is to be around 20,000, so not going to be much of a loss.

Hospitality. Club want everything in one stand. At the moment they have it split across two stands which they say isn't efficient.

Extra revenue: Besides hoping to increase ticket sales and corporate, with the supporters bar and cafe open as bonuses, main one will be spending less. Pittodrie currently costs ?700,000 a year on maintenance costs, while we're having to pay to hire out training facilities.

I dont really buy the "fans will be put off by travelling". Aberdeen is a small city, it doesn't take all day to travel around it. Try going to the Juventus stadium from Turin city centre. It's either 35-40 minutes on a bus, or you get the metro then a tram which takes you a good 25-30 mins total journey time. And you have to queue in a crowd of 40,000 fans to get on these things to get back. Ibrox is actually a fair old wait for the subway, and Celtic it's either a long walk or wait for the train at Bellgrove.

If the team is doing well, and the stadium is in good nick, fans will go. Think Juve increased their crowds by about 20,000 when they built the new ground.

Wait, you're saying Aberdeen spend 1900 quid a day on maintaining pittodrie?

I'm not buying that, 13 grand+ a week on maintenence? Nah!

Bazzas right boot

Makes sense, but it all seems rather hope, and if, and usually, not much concrete.

Juventus are one of the best sides in Europe, in Italy.

The OF take 10k to away friendly's and sometimes around 15-20k away in Europe, they are a different breed, football is their ehh, religion in allot of cases.

waiting on a bus in Aberdeen in November with two kids could be a different proposition, imo. It's more the fact that you can't just nip in for a pint or a bite to eat and wait out the crowd. Could put people of in the poor weather.

It's look great, but from a business point of view it seems skechy.

Our stand, will increase capacity, will save maintenance, will increase the premium tickets, will give better hospitality and catering , all this while being at our home. The thing looks great, it just seems like a big gamble one that may increase revenue but will increase your debt in some way ( unless you man pays for it ofc) and take you away from home.

I do think we place too much in tradition in Scotland, but in terms of finances its seems, fluid at best.

When is this stadium likely to be given the go-ahead?

And what percentage of fans (roughly) are in favour of it?

Pre-determination hearing September 13, the big decision October 11.

Most recent poll of 2000 fans had 72% in favour, and another 8% in favour of new stadium but not Kingsford. 15% said stay at Pittodrie.

Was a bigger survey conducted by a fans group last year that had 75% in favour.

Wait, you're saying Aberdeen spend 1900 quid a day on maintaining pittodrie?

I'm not buying that, 13 grand+ a week on maintenence? Nah!

At the top of the page you said it cost ?350-500k a year for the upkeep of the old Tynecastle main stand, yet think 700K for a whole stadium is dubious?

Juventus are one of the best sides in Europe, in Italy.

Apart from the Italian bit so are we.... B)

The OF take 10k to away friendly's and sometimes around 15-20k away in Europe, they are a different breed, football is their ehh

waiting on a bus in Aberdeen in November with two kids could be a different proposition, imo.

But you can't say a parent and two kids in Glasgow will happily stand in the rain waiting for a subway, train, bus or making a long walk back to the city centre, but in Aberdeen it won't happen.

I live in Glasgow. Yeh, it's a football city, but they still hate the rain as much as everyone else in the country.

Like I said before, I tend to think in poor weather people are either likely to be put off anyway (even if the stadium is opposite their house) or they will take the car to avoid waiting on the rain.

If me saying crowds will increase is wishful thinking, then so is claiming they will decrease based on the possibility of having to wait for a bus.

Like I say, in big cities all over Europe home fans have to make significant journey times to get to a game.

It's more the fact that you can't just nip in for a pint or a bite to eat and wait out the crowd. Could put people of in the poor weather.

Well that's the thing, Aberdeen have said they are encouraging fans to come earlier and stay later. Very much like the Allianz Arena in Munich (where it takes up to 3 hours to clear their car park, and while they have a metro next to the stadium, that is all they have serving 60,000 fans).

The stadium will have a supporters bar open pre and post match, a fanzone, and a cafe.

Now I accept that for a midweek game you might not want to hang about if your kids have school the next day, but, maybe you just take the car.

It's look great, but from a business point of view it seems skechy.

Our stand, will increase capacity, will save maintenance, will increase the premium tickets, will give better hospitality and catering , all this while being at our home. The thing looks great, it just seems like a big gamble one that may increase revenue but will increase your debt in some way ( unless you man pays for it ofc) and take you away from home.

I do think we place too much in tradition in Scotland, but in terms of finances its seems, fluid at best.

Again though, would the alternative not be a gamble?

If Aberdeen stay at Pittodrie, do nothing, continue to shell out 700k a year for upkeep, are they not gambling that crowds may continue to be lower than the could be, and run the risk of uefa not allowing them to play European home games?

If they opt to rebuild Pittodrie, and build a smaller stadium, then they spend millions to bring in less revenue from big games. Is that not a gamble?

Or, they spend what they say will be an extra ?6m to keep the stadium in the city centre and training ground somewhere else.

They're all gambles really.

Bazzas right boot

Apart from the Italian bit so are we.... B)

But you can't say a parent and two kids in Glasgow will happily stand in the rain waiting for a subway, train, bus or making a long walk back to the city centre, but in Aberdeen it won't happen.

I live in Glasgow. Yeh, it's a football city, but they still hate the rain as much as everyone else in the country.

Like I said before, I tend to think in poor weather people are either likely to be put off anyway (even if the stadium is opposite their house) or they will take the car to avoid waiting on the rain.

If me saying crowds will increase is wishful thinking, then so is claiming they will decrease based on the possibility of having to wait for a bus.

Like I say, in big cities all over Europe home fans have to make significant journey times to get to a game.

Well that's the thing, Aberdeen have said they are encouraging fans to come earlier and stay later. Very much like the Allianz Arena in Munich (where it takes up to 3 hours to clear their car park, and while they have a metro next to the stadium, that is all they have serving 60,000 fans).

The stadium will have a supporters bar open pre and post match, a fanzone, and a cafe.

Now I accept that for a midweek game you might not want to hang about if your kids have school the next day, but, maybe you just take the car.

Again though, would the alternative not be a gamble?

If Aberdeen stay at Pittodrie, do nothing, continue to shell out 700k a year for upkeep, are they not gambling that crowds may continue to be lower than the could be, and run the risk of uefa not allowing them to play European home games?

If they opt to rebuild Pittodrie, and build a smaller stadium, then they spend millions to bring in less revenue from big games. Is that not a gamble?

Or, they spend what they say will be an extra ?6m to keep the stadium in the city centre and training ground somewhere else.

They're all gambles really.

aye, I suppose.

I have been to the alliance, I enjoyed the journey, you can aslo get drink ( a pint) and food at your seat.- Somthing I think we should be looking at, there is apps now as well that can help this. Again the whole experience is "nice". The Hampden experience is shite, and imo your heading more towards that experience than Munich. 

The experience and weather  has put me off taking kids to the Scotland games, once I went with the other adult only, the second time canned it and watched the game from the pub.

when I say decrease, it will be minimum, but I think your match day experience as above will be diminished, more of a hassle.

Not too sure on the maths or the restrictions at your current site, however this is where the debate is important, is staying at home viable/ cheaper than moving  away?

Which is the bigger gamble, imo it seems moving away is, maybe it's not, tho.

David McCaig

I would be amazed if either your South or Merkland Street Stands have a smaller footprint than either the Wheatfield or Gorgie/Roseburn Stands!!

Milne clearly wants Pittodrie for housing and is prepared make up any nonsense ala the Pieman to engineer a move.

If Aberdeen want to move out of town so be it, but don't insult our intelligence by claiming that there is only space for a clone of New Douglas Park!!

I would be amazed if either your South or Merkland Street Stands have a smaller footprint than either the Wheatfield or Gorgie/Roseburn Stands!!

Milne clearly wants Pittodrie for housing and is prepared make up any nonsense ala the Pieman to engineer a move.

If Aberdeen want to move out of town so be it, but don't insult our intelligence by claiming that there is only space for a clone of New Douglas Park!!

I'll give you the same reply I gave someone else on this thread.

Go launch plans to rebuild the Wheatfield. When you can't, come back and have this discussion about what modern building regulations allow you to do on a small footprint.

Or you could just avoid a thread titled "Pittodrie- unfit for purpose" and as well as avoiding a subject you are not interested in, save posters that are, the time of reading your shite posts.

Wind your neck in, where did I say I wasn't interested?

I am Truly insulted by your shite post comment as you might just be kickbacks king of shite posts, and that's quite a competitive title.

Now go bother someone else please.

What if the land doesn't become available like this one? Playing devils advocate.

I think it will go through in any case. All I really saw apart from the pleas by notable fans was the no campaign suggesting he had the ability to develop Pittodrie and the Council would be defying Planning law if it was put through.

Not as if the land is producing any sort of benefit to the residents at the moment anyhow, the bit that always confuses me, why people are so dead against a development

There is a general patten of resistance to developments.

Change or something.

I live near a development in early stages of build which was vehemently opposed by locals including saying it with devastate local business.

It will bring business and opportunities. It has the odd potential drawback but all new developments cause some hassle and the developers are actually making a big effort to engage with community.

But you wouldn't believe some of the lengths some of opposition went to. Council stood firm though.

This is trickier with the transport but this development will bring other benefits too. You can make anything work with goodwill and determination.

David McCaig

Go launch plans to rebuild the Wheatfield. When you can't, come back and have this discussion about what modern building regulations allow you to do on a small footprint.

The Wheatfield was built in a far more restricted space than it sits in now.

Why couldn't we rebuild it? Jim Clydesdale has actually stated that it is feasible to put additional rows onto the back of this stand!!

Bazzas right boot

Wind your neck in, where did I say I wasn't interested?

I am Truly insulted by your shite post comment as you might just be kickbacks king of shite posts, and that's quite a competitive title.

Now go bother someone else please.

Coming on and telling posters to GTF, while telling a truly horrendous story and saying you never visit Aberdeen or their ground   would indicate you are not interested and only interested in winding folk up and causing offence.

Wind YOUR neck in, try and engage with  the debate that is clearly on the thread title rather than being like the drunk in a pub that comes in with piss stains down his leg and interrupts other folks conversation with their ramblings and incoherent nonsense.

Unknown user

At the top of the page you said it cost ?350-500k a year for the upkeep of the old Tynecastle main stand, yet think 700K for a whole stadium is dubious?

No I didn't

Bazzas right boot

No I didn't

I said that, seen that figure somewhere, could be out , tho.

Unknown user

I said that, seen that figure somewhere, could be out , tho.

I remember it being reported although the figure escapes me, but I never bought it then either. That's a ridiculous amount of money, even 350k is just under a grand a day, every day, including Sundays.

I suspected it was a fudged number, that rather than a figure for maintenence, which sounds like repairs, it's actually the cost of maintaining, keeping going, as in gas, leccy, maybe rates, perhaps even staff costs.

Coming on and telling posters to GTF, while telling a truly horrendous story and saying you never visit Aberdeen or their ground would indicate you are not interested and only interested in winding folk up and causing offence.

Wind YOUR neck in, try and engage with the debate that is clearly on the thread title rather than being like the drunk in a pub that comes in with piss stains down his leg and interrupts other folks conversation with their ramblings and incoherent nonsense.

:rofl: ???? off

Bazzas right boot

I remember it being reported although the figure escapes me, but I never bought it then either. That's a ridiculous amount of money, even 350k is just under a grand a day, every day, including Sundays.

I suspected it was a fudged number, that rather than a figure for maintenence, which sounds like repairs, it's actually the cost of maintaining, keeping going, as in gas, leccy, maybe rates, perhaps even staff costs.

Maybe, but seeing the state of the place, I would not be surprised tbh. 20% of the bat is VAT. Maintenance work isn't cheep.

Maybe, but seeing the state of the place, I would not be surprised tbh. 20% of the bat is VAT. Maintenance work isn't cheep.

Especially when Wiggy has the contract. I should point out that I have no proof of this but he did not become a multi millionaire by being nice and giving everyone mates rates. Make no mistake he will make plenty money out of this and Aberdeen will be paying him for the privilege for many years to come

Unknown user

I'd be really interested to see it broken down if it is right enough, it's a large amount of money for any Scottish football team.

Looking at the satellite images of Pittodrie, there appears to be enough land to build a Wheatfield Stand to the south and wrap it round to the west? Tight for the main stand, but I think a 20k capacity is doable.

Well, what would stop the south stand from being replaced by a Wheatfield style stand? the room is there to do it comfortably, same with Merkland.

Big Slim Stylee

Especially when Wiggy has the contract. I should point out that I have no proof of this but he did not become a multi millionaire by being nice and giving everyone mates rates. Make no mistake he will make plenty money out of this and Aberdeen will be paying him for the privilege for many years to come

I'm sure you're right, and perhaps a deal with the devil in some ways. But it's a good thing that clubs such as ourselves and Aberdeen are actually investing in the future to some extent. It goe some way to make up for this, which is a depressing, but fairly accurate, read :(

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/aug/17/celtic-champions-league-play-off-astana-scottish-football-disparity

Well, what would stop the south stand from being replaced by a Wheatfield style stand? the room is there to do it comfortably, same with Merkland.

The wheatfield was built at a time when building regulations were vastly different.

For one, the south stand is an old terrace where seats were put in. It's the only reason it has managed to get a capacity that high. You rebuild it, the capacity will have to come down, unless you build it much taller than it already is.

However, point two, there are flats behind the stand. No chance they would allow a taller stand to be built. See Hibs' East Stand and why the planning permission had a deadline on it.

Third point. A modern stand needs to have a concourse / external emergency evacuation area. You need to have an emergency vehicle access route behind the stand plus modern terracing construction and seating/ circulation space requirements, and an emergency concourse break out area.

That's all pretty much impossible on the current footprint.

In the space that Aberdeen have on that footprint, without going to the expense of trying to buy the flats behind the south and Merkland, and purchasing the road behind the main stand, they would need to build three small stands.

It's not scaremongering from Milne (since it didn't come from Milne). That's what architects that have looked at it have come up with.

For me, the nightmare scenario would be the club announcing they were staying at Pittodrie. Because that would mean a reduced capacity, a ground built on the cheap, and it would be an awkward looking place.

I'm quite happy with an extra 20 minutes to get to the game in return for a cracking, modern football stadium.

As others have said, this is all very pieman-esque, especially the "rationale" for moving and the unfit for purpose stuff.

Pittodrie was the site of some amazing times for them in the Ferguson era. Crazy to give that up IMO for a souless ground in the middle of a car park with zero memories and history attached to it.

Thats why i was so against moving from tynecastle. The history of the place is a huge part of the experience. It's massively risky to drastically change that experience as often its the history and tradition that keeps people going rather than the actual football, especially for clubs like aberdeen and hearts that win things relatively rarely.

Good to see investment in Scottish football out with the bigot brothers. The main issue seems that AFC want their training ground/youth academy built on the same site as their stadium meaning a big site is required these are almost always available in out of town areas. If they just wanted a new stadium on its own the process may have been easier. Good luck to AFC with this though fair to say I am no fan of out of town stadiums.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Lord Beni of Gorgie

As others have said, this is all very pieman-esque, especially the "rationale" for moving and the unfit for purpose stuff.

Pittodrie was the site of some amazing times for them in the Ferguson era. Crazy to give that up IMO for a souless ground in the middle of a car park with zero memories and history attached to it.

Thats why i was so against moving from tynecastle. The history of the place is a huge part of the experience. It's massively risky to drastically change that experience as often its the history and tradition that keeps people going rather than the actual football, especially for clubs like aberdeen and hearts that win things relatively rarely.

You can have new memories though. There is not a stadium in Scotland, and few in the UK so cherished by the fans than Tynecastle.

Sadly most of my family are woolly round the chops and not one wants to stay at Pittodrie. Only a couple of people I know prefer staying there.

For the dedicated Aberdeen fan, it will be a fantastic change, but there are not so many of them through thin times.

Time will tell, it will be interesting to see how the public backs it and indeed what sort of logistical problems it presents for people. Aberdeen people don't like traffic, a 15 minute tailback is a jam to them. Getting on buses is alien to so many, and we have appalling rail links up here.

LL makes some valid points of what could be laid on, but I wouldn't bet my bottom dollar on people putting up with inconvenience, not in this city.

You can have new memories though. There is not a stadium in Scotland, and few in the UK so cherished by the fans than Tynecastle.

Sadly most of my family are woolly round the chops and not one wants to stay at Pittodrie. Only a couple of people I know prefer staying there.

For the dedicated Aberdeen fan, it will be a fantastic change, but there are not so many of them through thin times.

Time will tell, it will be interesting to see how the public backs it and indeed what sort of logistical problems it presents for people. Aberdeen people don't like traffic, a 15 minute tailback is a jam to them. Getting on buses is alien to so many, and we have appalling rail links up here.

LL makes some valid points of what could be laid on, but I wouldn't bet my bottom dollar on people putting up with inconvenience, not in this city.

Thats what's interesting. Hearts fans vehemently opposed moving unless it was 100% needed. Aberdeen fans seem happy to give up that history. My point is aberdeen will never have memories like the 80s, and most aberdeen fans cling to the 80s as its when they had almost all their success, so whatever new memories will be created can't possibly match those.

They'll likely never be as good as they are now in terms of regular 2nds and cup finals, and they can only get 13,000 average crowds. A larger stadium and 20m debt makes no sense to cater to 6-8 big games a season, and they could easily do a d utd or hibs and get relegated in future. They came close a few times.

Unknown user

Thats what's interesting. Hearts fans vehemently opposed moving unless it was 100% needed. Aberdeen fans seem happy to give up that history. My point is aberdeen will never have memories like the 80s, and most aberdeen fans cling to the 80s as its when they had almost all their success, so whatever new memories will be created can't possibly match those.

They'll likely never be as good as they are now in terms of regular 2nds and cup finals, and they can only get 13,000 average crowds. A larger stadium and 20m debt makes no sense to cater to 6-8 big games a season, and they could easily do a d utd or hibs and get relegated in future. They came close a few times.

Not only that, one of the reasons given is that they won't be able to play euro games at pittodrie for long as they won't get a uefa license.

The project manager himself has said that they'll still have problems for any euro sell out as the transport system won't be able to cope with that many home fans.

No indoor pitch either and that's after spending fifty million! (Assuming there isn't an overspend...)

Dundee looking at an out of town site too for new build stadium.

Camperdown Park. One and a half hours walk from train station similar to Aberdeen new stadium.

Does anyone else think this is not going to actually happen, and they will be forced to build Pittodrie stand by stand instead?

Dundee looking at an out of town site too for new build stadium.

Camperdown Park. One and a half hours walk from train station similar to Aberdeen new stadium.

I'll make an exception for this one in terms of out of town vs inner city. Bulldozing Dens is the least it deserves, talking of memories.

Watt-Zeefuik

This is a fair point. Clearly the situation of Tynie in Gorgie isn't replicated at Pittodrie, and in fact isn't replicated at most stadiums in Scotland. (Palmerston being an exception that comes to mind.)

I will say that given their ubiquity in the US, pubs, food, and bars inside the stand are a very, very poor substitute for the same outside the stand in the environs.

You're basically saying that Aberdeen should stay at Pittodrie for the memories. 

I'd rather see my club move on and get a 21st century stadium. We'll always have the memories, it's about creating new ones. 

I don't know how many times I need to say it. Even if Pittodrie could be rebuilt to a 20,000 capacity stadium (which it can't without spending huge sums buying additional land and the flats next to the stadium), it would work out more expensive on account we wouldn't have anything to sell to help fund it in the first place, and it would be an inferior product to the one we're hoping to build at Kingsford. So talk of putting ourselves in debt is illogical when you're proposing we go with an option which would create an even bigger debt, and that's before we take into account we would then need to acquire additional land to build the training ground.

I get why Hearts are keen to stay in Gorgie as that's their part of Edinburgh, but we don't share our city with anyone, it's all ours. It doesn't matter to me where in Aberdeen it is.

We're not building a bigger stadium, we're building a better one, that will earn us more money.

"They can only get 13,000 crowds". Our average this season after three games is actually 17,439, with a crowd of over 15,000 expected tomorrow. Crowds are on the up and the stadium hasn't even been passed yet.

Hibs used to have worse crowds than Aberdeen, now they're on the up and I'm sure the stadium is a big part of that. 

I get why Hearts are keen to stay in gorgie as that's their part of Edinburgh, but we don't share our city with anyone, it's all ours. 

Unknown user

Does anyone else think this is not going to actually happen, and they will be forced to build Pittodrie stand by stand instead?

Bit in bold, 100%.

What happens next though, I don't know.

I think I read that one of the parking options our Sheepy pal mentioned is on the other side of a dual carriageway with no crossing planned btw.

Too many things aren't right, it just doesn't add up imo.

Bit in bold, 100%.

I think I read that one of the parking options our Sheepy pal mentioned is on the other side of a dual carriageway with no crossing planned.

I just think it's all a bit pie in the sky. It's like this is a desperate throw of the dice to try and force the hand of the council and other bodies who are not too keen. I think it'll all fall apart and they will redevelop Pittodrie over a longish period of time. The price also seems a bit unlikely to me. Aberdeen would be saddled with quite a big debt from this, and they have no FoH to help with funding.

Not only that, one of the reasons given is that they won't be able to play euro games at pittodrie for long as they won't get a uefa license.

The project manager himself has said that they'll still have problems for any euro sell out as the transport system won't be able to cope with that many home fans.

No indoor pitch either and that's after spending fifty million! (Assuming there isn't an overspend...)

No, you're going by a post on a forum, which may or may not be correct. It's just a poster claiming he got a phonecall from the project manager after sending an email. I have my doubts, especially the part where he freely gives away confidential information.

If it is true, what he actually said was it would be tight as in midweek not as many buses are available as there are at weekends, and a full house European game where there's 20,000 Aberdeen fans is clearly more difficult to manage than an average Premiership crowd on a Saturday.

However, I tend to think that people will firstly use the car if they have to, and secondly the transport in Aberdeen will evolve with the stadium. If you run a supermarket and irn bru sells well, you order more of it. Likewise, if you run a bus company and you're doing good business from fans using shuttle buses, you'll probably increase your fleet.

Bit in bold, 100%.

I think I read that one of the parking options our Sheepy pal mentioned is on the other side of a dual carriageway with no crossing planned btw.

A footbridge is planned.

No, you're going by a post on a forum, which may or may not be correct. It's just a poster claiming he got a phonecall from the project manager after sending an email. I have my doubts, especially the part where he freely gives away confidential information.

If it is true, what he actually said was it would be tight as in midweek not as many buses are available as there are at weekends, and a full house European game where there's 20,000 Aberdeen fans is clearly more difficult to manage than an average Premiership crowd on a Saturday.

However, I tend to think that people will firstly use the car if they have to, and secondly the transport in Aberdeen will evolve with the stadium. If you run a supermarket and irn bru sells well, you order more of it. Likewise, if you run a bus company and you're doing good business from fans using shuttle buses, you'll probably increase your fleet.

I do wish you well. We're all up against the old firm who are distorting Scottish football.

But I do know the modern planning practice is the preference for developments to fit around existing transport links as much as possible. Not for transport to suddenly emerge from nowhere. That does seem a major challenge.

Konrad von Carstein

Bla bla bla....

I don't know how many times I need to say it.

Bla Bla Bla

Too many fecking times on here...Aberdeen are in danger of selling their soul IMO...Pretty sure Pittodrie could be modernised stage by stage and give you a stadium to be proud of...training facilities could be the same as us and hibs, remote from the stadium.

Please don't read that as me giving a feck, however, you should stop coming over exasperated and patronising on here...

Archived