Pittodrie "Unfit for Purpose"

N Lincs Jambo

Do you have a link for the plans? I'd be interested to see all this for myself

https://publicaccess.aberdeencity.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=OJMF3EBZIED00

That's the stadium application. It says 4873 documents but bear in mind most of that are supportive comments and objections. There's actually been an investigation as a huge amount of the objections were duplicates or were fraudulently attributed to addresses in Westhill.

The most recent stuff was posted on 1 August.

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Unknown user

No, you're going by a post on a forum, which may or may not be correct. It's just a poster claiming he got a phonecall from the project manager after sending an email. I have my doubts, especially the part where he freely gives away confidential information.

If it is true, what he actually said was it would be tight as in midweek not as many buses are available as there are at weekends, and a full house European game where there's 20,000 Aberdeen fans is clearly more difficult to manage than an average Premiership crowd on a Saturday.

However, I tend to think that people will firstly use the car if they have to, and secondly the transport in Aberdeen will evolve with the stadium. If you run a supermarket and irn bru sells well, you order more of it. Likewise, if you run a bus company and you're doing good business from fans using shuttle buses, you'll probably increase your fleet.

Because of a few hours good business 20 - 25 days a year? I don't blame you for getting behind it, but that's downright wishful thinking mate

Too many fecking times on here...Aberdeen are in danger of selling their soul IMO...Pretty sure Pittodrie could be modernised stage by stage and give you a stadium to be proud of...training facilities could be the same as us and hibs, remote from the stadium.

Please don't read that as me giving a feck, however, you should stop coming over exasperated and patronising on here...

No big housing development for Milne though

Unknown user

https://publicaccess.aberdeencity.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=OJMF3EBZIED00

That's the stadium application. It says 4873 documents but bear in mind most of that are supportive comments and objections. There's actually been an investigation as a huge amount of the objections were duplicates or were fraudulently attributed to addresses in Westhill.

The most recent stuff was posted on 1 August.

Cheers, can't get in to the transport docs on my phone but I'll have a look at that later

You're basically saying that Aberdeen should stay at Pittodrie for the memories.

I'd rather see my club move on and get a 21st century stadium. We'll always have the memories, it's about creating new ones.

I don't know how many times I need to say it. Even if Pittodrie could be rebuilt to a 20,000 capacity stadium (which it can't without spending huge sums buying additional land and the flats next to the stadium), it would work out more expensive on account we wouldn't have anything to sell to help fund it in the first place, and it would be an inferior product to the one we're hoping to build at Kingsford. So talk of putting ourselves in debt is illogical when you're proposing we go with an option which would create an even bigger debt, and that's before we take into account we would then need to acquire additional land to build the training ground.

I get why Hearts are keen to stay in Gorgie as that's their part of Edinburgh, but we don't share our city with anyone, it's all ours. It doesn't matter to me where in Aberdeen it is.

We're not building a bigger stadium, we're building a better one, that will earn us more money.

"They can only get 13,000 crowds". Our average this season after three games is actually 17,439, with a crowd of over 15,000 expected tomorrow. Crowds are on the up and the stadium hasn't even been passed yet.

Hibs used to have worse crowds than Aberdeen, now they're on the up and I'm sure the stadium is a big part of that.

I get why Hearts are keen to stay in gorgie as that's their part of Edinburgh, but we don't share our city with anyone, it's all ours.

Why was your average so low last season?

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Oil industry and Pittodrie.

Nonsense. My golf partner just can't be arsed along with thousands of others :lol:

Theres always some excuse. A very fickle support. Fact is considering it's a relatively prosperous one club city, Aberdeens support has always been terrible - both from ordinary fans and the city's main industry.

Theres always some excuse. A very fickle support. Fact is considering it's a relatively prosperous one club city, Aberdeens support has always been terrible - both from ordinary fans and the city's main industry.

Terrible? What absolute nonsense.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

One of the reasons i support Hearts and not Aberdeen. Born and bred all my friends and family but simply no comparison between the passion and commitment shown by so many. As I say my golf buddy will speak about them all day but not a penny. And hes far from the few

By terrible I mean the numbers and the fans fickleness (oil and pittodrie as an excuse?) . You should get much bigger crowds all things considered, especially last season.

August Landmesser

For a city with one team the crowds are shite.

Aberdeen and Middlesbrough are about the same size (Boro is a wee bit smaller). Boro's avg attendance last year whilst they were busy getting relegated was 30k.

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Aberdeen and Middlesbrough are about the same size (Boro is a wee bit smaller). Boro's avg attendance last year whilst they were busy getting relegated was 30k.

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

Also a good bit poorer. They won't have that support this season.

Jordan leaving was too much for some

:sob:

The wheatfield was built at a time when building regulations were vastly different.

For one, the south stand is an old terrace where seats were put in. It's the only reason it has managed to get a capacity that high. You rebuild it, the capacity will have to come down, unless you build it much taller than it already is.

However, point two, there are flats behind the stand. No chance they would allow a taller stand to be built. See Hibs' East Stand and why the planning permission had a deadline on it.

Third point. A modern stand needs to have a concourse / external emergency evacuation area. You need to have an emergency vehicle access route behind the stand plus modern terracing construction and seating/ circulation space requirements, and an emergency concourse break out area.

That's all pretty much impossible on the current footprint.

In the space that Aberdeen have on that footprint, without going to the expense of trying to buy the flats behind the south and Merkland, and purchasing the road behind the main stand, they would need to build three small stands.

It's not scaremongering from Milne (since it didn't come from Milne). That's what architects that have looked at it have come up with.

For me, the nightmare scenario would be the club announcing they were staying at Pittodrie. Because that would mean a reduced capacity, a ground built on the cheap, and it would be an awkward looking place.

I'm quite happy with an extra 20 minutes to get to the game in return for a cracking, modern football stadium.

Thanks for expanding on your points.

Has any sort of serious feasibility study been carried out on redeveloping Pittodrie? The reason I ask is that I have a few Aberdeen mates who say they are really just going on the word of Milne when it comes to his assertion that moving is the only option, they've not seen much hard evidence of this and are not too enthused about moving to what one calls a "white elephant"

Thanks for expanding on your points.

Has any sort of serious feasibility study been carried out on redeveloping Pittodrie? The reason I ask is that I have a few Aberdeen mates who say they are really just going on the word of Milne when it comes to his assertion that moving is the only option, they've not seen much hard evidence of this and are not too enthused about moving to what one calls a "white elephant"

I think they did but full results were never released apart from the assertion that the capacity would be 12,000-14,000. I'm going by the word of other architects who have been asked to challenge that figure, and they've come up with the same capacity.

By terrible I mean the numbers and the fans fickleness (oil and pittodrie as an excuse?) . You should get much bigger crowds all things considered, especially last season.

Out of interest, how many season tickets have Hearts and Hibs sold?

Konrad von Carstein

Pretty sure you could find this out on your own, however, this season I'm sure both have sold more than "one city" aderdeen

Unknown user

We're still little shy of our 14k target last I remember hearing.

I welcome any Scottish club investing in their existing ground or a new ground/training facilities. Scottish football has so many critics domestically and outwith Scotland so we should applaud any club who wants to try and grow and improve things (bar the OF of course). We're building an amazing new stand and have world class training facilities, Aberdeen and Dundee are looking at new stadiums and even Hibs have cobbled together new training facilites/cowshed and a replacement for the East Stand. Hopefully this indicates that owners and investors are optimistic about where Scottish football is going.

That said, as good as Aberdeen's new stadium may be, it would be like us moving to Straiton, which I was never a fan of.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Comfortable 25k combined

Nelly Terraces

Comfortable 25k combined

If we were doing as well as AFC at the moment we'd be near 16K ourselves, absolutely no question.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

If we were doing as well as AFC at the moment we'd be near 16K ourselves, absolutely no question.

More of us that buy the more cash to burn. Hopefully a key appointment and a key asset can make it prosper

Stephen Muddie

Juventus :cornette:

Bayern Munich :cornette:

The Old Firm :cornette:

"big cities all over Europe" :cornette:

Aberdeen is the size of Leicester FFS. The OF, Juventus and Bayern are massive clubs in humungous cities. What are they smoking up there in the North East?

Turin metropolitan area: 2.2 million
Glasgow metropolitan area (ignore the country-wide gloryhunters if you can): 1.2-2.8million depending on how much of a memory you have.
Munich: 1.5million city. SIX million metro area.

Coming onto a rival club's board to convince yourself a) Aberdeen is some kind of big city; bee) Their situation is comparable with big European teams in huge cities; c) that we somehow care.

It's good and that, from a Hearts perspective. Doubt I'd be so confident if I were a sheep.
:rofl: :rofl:

Lucille's Thirsty

Looks cracking to be fair.

Pish location though.

It looks fantastic there'll be a few changes to that while in progress.

Whilst I'm over the moon we stay at Tynie and have a great training ground I've always loved the idea of Hearts being in one place.

I'm quite jealous in a sense, I'd love Hearts to be in one area the whole club I'd love that idea maybe not out of town, more and more clubs are doing it City have done it, can only be a good thing IMO fair play to Aberdeen the more club like us and Aberdeen the better.

Bazzas right boot

Poor, its been low for ever, Not everyone works in oil, and  you don't need  to work in oil to afford the football.

Your cords have been like that throughout, they don't go down much and you do have a good away support, but for a one city team that is winning most games and getting to finals ( when you can bring out 35k+) you should be getting better average crowds. It shows not as many folk care about the football or Aberdeen .

A move outside  the city.. will it help this? I am not too sure. 

In saying  that the two Aberdeen fans I know both do work in oil.....

Fort Vallance

Poor, its been low for ever, Not everyone works in oil, and  you don't need  to work in oil to afford the football.

Your cords have been like that throughout, they don't go down much and you do have a good away support, but for a one city team that is winning most games and getting to finals ( when you can bring out 35k+) you should be getting better average crowds. It shows not as many folk care about the football or Aberdeen .

A move outside  the city.. will it help this? I am not too sure. 

In saying  that the two Aberdeen fans I know both do work in oil.....

There's f### all else.

Archived