Pittodrie "Unfit for Purpose"

N Lincs Jambo

Sounds like the shit the pieman used to come out with.

Hearts,Hibs,Rangers and Celtic training grounds arent anywhere near there stadiums.

So why is such a requirement for a club like aberdeen?

And Ann Budge and Peter Lawwell have both said that if they could they would have built dual facilities.

Just because Chris Robertson was wrong about redeveloping the main stand at Tynecastle, it doesn't mean Aberdeen are wrong about Pittodrie. The stadium Aberdeen are planning to build at Kingsford, are you or anyone else honestly going to tell me that would be possible on the Pittodrie site? Any architect will tell you it can't be done. 

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is the slight flaw here not your assertion that you will have almost exclusive access to these parking facilities as if they are sitting there constantly empty awaiting your use? What happens if AECC have an event on one of your matchdays?

Then people will park elsewhere.

Shanks said no

And Ann Budge and Peter Lawwell have both said that if they could they would have built dual facilities.

Just because Chris Robertson was wrong about redeveloping the main stand at Tynecastle, it doesn't mean Aberdeen are wrong about Pittodrie. The stadium Aberdeen are planning to build at Kingsford, are you or anyone else honestly going to tell me that would be possible on the Pittodrie site? Any architect will tell you it can't be done. 

OK any chairman / owner / site manager would prefer one site rather than two. However I very much doubt Budge would prefer our stadium to be at Heriot Watt rather than Gorgie. Why ? because she knows, we, the fans, want to stay in Gorgie.

We have hundreds of budding architects on our new stand thread,im sure they could come up with a solution  :10900: 

Unknown user

We have hundreds of budding architects on our new stand thread,im sure they could come up with a solution :10900:

Say no more, we're on it. I'll sort the seats.

OK any chairman / owner / site manager would prefer one site rather than two. However I very much doubt Budge would prefer our stadium to be at Heriot Watt rather than Gorgie. Why ? because she knows, we, the fans, want to stay in Gorgie.

But you had a choice. You didn't need to build four new stands and a training ground, you had to build one stand and share Heriot-watt.

You went for the much cheaper and sensible option.

The much cheaper and sensible option for Aberdeen is to move. 

Again, this isn't Aberdeen's first choice. First choice was a joint project with Cove Rangers, at Loirston.

Then second choice was a stadium at Loirston and a share training facility with Robert Gordon University. They actually began the building work for that before it got stopped, with RGU pulling out of the deal.

This is plan c. 

WheatfieldWarrior

Only 12% purely walk to the game at Pittodrie, everyone else takes some form of transport.

From your hypothetical 11,300 home fans above (5,700 + 5,600), that equates to  1,356 who will need to get the bus that normally don't need to.

There are plenty parking at the stadium and lots of options close by (Lawsondale, Arnhall and Kingswells P&R).

As for drinking, I don;t usually pre and post match as I drive, but I'll be  hugely tempted to use the P&R and partake in a few before and after in the supporters bar.

I drive as well. Hearts certainly sell Heineken 0.0 - was able to buy this at the Celtic Gorgie live event.  Even my local Tesco has upped the alcohol free range to be a whole 4ft section including wine, cider and a range of beers.  

WheatfieldWarrior

?30m from pittodrie and naming rights, that's optimistic as **** IMO. But I suppose the hope is that Wigbert will be willing to pay a good price for the ground to help things along. But another 20 million on top of even that? Twenty million pounds to find in Scottish football...

By the way, I've read a lot about hibs' training ground costing a seven figure sum to run each year compared to our relatively cheap rental of Oriam. This is going to continue to cost

Are there any figures known regarding what has been paid to other clubs for naming rights to the grounds ( Ideally comparable clubs..) 

Try for a plan d then.

How far from Aberdeen is this site.

It's in the city boundary.

If you mean city centre, then about 5 miles.

Plan d will be Aberdeenshire.

So much effort being expended on a rival team's forum but we hardly need convincing (or, to be blunt, care ultimately except from a convenience angle). 

Reading between the obvious lines, you are in a very difficult situation needing to both convince yourselves that this is the correct plan, convince the planners AND find a lot of money whilst hoping a variety of other factors fall into place. 

I don't envy you this task, but I do have some sympathy knowing how close we came to dying a slow death at Murrayfield and nearly reaching a Tsar Bomba critical mass under VR, only to escape when the countdown was at 0.01.

Stephen Muddie

As I think we all know what is shown on a computer generated artists impression may look quite different in reality....

Or it may look basically the same barring whataboutery

It also may look basically the same half built as when fully built, strangely.

Unknown user

Are there any figures known regarding what has been paid to other clubs for naming rights to the grounds ( Ideally comparable clubs..)

I don't know of any, but how much do we reckon they could get? Would it make that much of a dent?

For example, getting ten million from a ten year deal at a million a year is ridiculously optimistic imo - who wants to give someone in Scottish football twenty grand a week to have their company's name mentioned on Sportscene twice a month?

So we're clearly talking way way less than that imo.

Hey, when I think about it, didn't Sports Direct get naming rights for Ibrox for a quid? :D

Unknown user

So, money...

I've been reading that phase 1 alone, the training ground, will cost 10m, they have 5. This will not include an indoor pitch.

Phase 2, the stadium, will cost 40. They hope to get 18 from pittodrie.

There will be no indoor pitch until phase 3 is complete (2025/6) as this would have added 5 million to their phase 1 costs, so that's another 5 to find then.

Source - Raymond Edgar, project director

http://www.afc-chat.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=39555&&page=270

They have 5 million, hope to get 18 for pittodrie, so still need to find another 27 million, and even admit that full house European games could be a problem transport wise.

You have admire their optimism but it just doesn't sound viable to me.

IveSeenTheLight

?30m from pittodrie and naming rights, that's optimistic as **** IMO. But I suppose the hope is that Wigbert will be willing to pay a good price for the ground to help things along. But another 20 million on top of even that? Twenty million pounds to find in Scottish football...

By the way, I've read a lot about hibs' training ground costing a seven figure sum to run each year compared to our relatively cheap rental of Oriam. This is going to continue to cost

?20M nett cost in Scottish football for a full stadium and training ground facilities.

You guys are doing your main stand for ?12M.

Yes the Oriam is fantastic, but we do not have the luxury of such fine facilities that we can rent

Stephen Muddie

We have hundreds of budding architects on our new stand thread,im sure they could come up with a solution  :10900:

:laugh:

Off topic this but when the Wheatfield was built there was a factory building about 1 metre away from the back wall. Now there isn't and I believe at some point in the future, possibly when the distillery moves away, we will be able to extend the stand.

Realistically, stadiums don't really matter to anyone but fair-weather fans and day trippers. Can you really rely on them?

Most important thing is a winning team. Aberdeen have had that for a few seasons in a row, yet their support is still gash. Does not auger well for a less legendary future, one in which the rangers and ourselves, possibly even the wee team, will be better placed to compete and one in which AFC will be severely hamstrung by the costs of such a project.

I hope it happens to be honest. Whatever happens, their temporary position is just that. An anomoly.

They'd already be trailing behind us football-wise if we weren't continuing to flog our dead development club horse, with bizarre signing after another.

IveSeenTheLight

:laugh:

Off topic this but when the Wheatfield was built there was a factory building about 1 metre away from the back wall. Now there isn't and I believe at some point in the future, possibly when the distillery moves away, we will be able to extend the stand.

Realistically, stadiums don't really matter to anyone but fair-weather fans and day trippers. Can you really rely on them?

Most important thing is a winning team. Aberdeen have had that for a few seasons in a row, yet their support is still gash. Does not auger well for a less legendary future, one in which the rangers and ourselves, possibly even the wee team, will be better placed to compete and one in which AFC will be severely hamstrung by the costs of such a project.

I hope it happens to be honest. Whatever happens, their temporary position is just that. An anomoly.

Oh let's not go down this old tired road again.

Stephen Muddie

Oh let's not go down this old tired road again.

I'll go down whatever road I want. I'm a Hearts supporter and you are an irrelevance mate :sailor:

IveSeenTheLight

I'll go down whatever road I want. I'm a Hearts supporter and you are an irrelevance mate :sailor:

Ok....... I just don't understand the self flagellation you seem to want ;)

kingantti1874

So, money...

I've been reading that phase 1 alone, the training ground, will cost 10m, they have 5. This will not include an indoor pitch.

Phase 2, the stadium, will cost 40. They hope to get 18 from pittodrie.

There will be no indoor pitch until phase 3 is complete (2025/6) as this would have added 5 million to their phase 1 costs, so that's another 5 to find then.

Source - Raymond Edgar, project director

http://www.afc-chat.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=39555&&page=270

They have 5 million, hope to get 18 for pittodrie, so still need to find another 27 million, and even admit that full house European games could be a problem transport wise.

You have admire their optimism but it just doesn't sound viable to me.

The best Aberdeen team in decades can't sell a decent number of season tickets, if true I don't how they get fans to fund the thing.. Also buses to and from home games? Really.. Sounds absolutely shit tbh.. Stadium look nice but I'm glad it isn't hearts..

Stephen Muddie

Ok....... I just don't understand the self flagellation you seem to want ;)

I don't understand why you are bringing self-harm into this at all. I cannot understand in what perceived way I am harming myself by shooting the breeze on an online HMFC forum.

Most of all, I don't understand why kickback has been occupied by two or three persistent Pittodrie-based pains in the arse. I have a theory that it's because their team is currently undergoing a period of relative success.

IveSeenTheLight

I don't understand why you are bringing self-harm into this at all. I cannot understand in what perceived way I am harming myself by shooting the breeze on an online HMFC forum.

Most of all, I don't understand why kickback has been occupied by two or three persistent Pittodrie-based pains in the arse. I have a theory that it's because their team is currently undergoing a period of relative success.

Your theory is wrong.

I've posted in here following defeats from Hearts.

I'm not here on any sort of glory seeking trolling.

Stephen Muddie

Your theory is wrong.

I've posted in here following defeats from Hearts.

I'm not here on any sort of glory seeking trolling.

Thats fine. I'm not one to call for a closed shop/bannings for reasonable others...

I used to come here for HMFC news. That's not now practical. I come here for a stand photo and read 6 pages of shite, and that's from Hearts fans.

However, your subtle digs are not going unnoticed here. I'd also like you to explain your previous post regarding self harm, if you can.

IveSeenTheLight

Thats fine. I'm not one to call for a closed shop/bannings for reasonable others...

I used to come here for HMFC news. That's not now practical. I come here for a stand photo and read 6 pages of shite, and that's from Hearts fans.

However, your subtle digs are not going unnoticed here. I'd also like you to explain your previous post regarding self harm, if you can.

I don't make subtle digs. You must be reading them in the wrong way from intended.

I said "let's not go down the tired road again" because it has been discussed numerous times, but seeing as you are insisting.......

I mentioned the self harm as you were being derogatory (and I understand why) regarding Aberdeens position being an anomaly, whilst the records show that we are the most successful Scottish team outside the gruesome twosome.

So I did not understand your debate point which Backfires to point out that our current 'anomaly' is all part of a history which is more successful over our 114 years than you have over your 137 years.

Sure, we're currently on a high and will no doubt be inconceivable to maintain 2nd best team in the league over the longer period.

I accept that. I don't have an "expected" or "entitled" view.

For the record, again, it's not a dig or elitism or anything else. I asked not to go down this tired old road, and only responded out of respect to your wishes

I'm a fan of clubs staying and redeveloping their existing sites as we're doing at Tynecastle. The familiarity of the walk from Roseburn with the sights and smells and the number of fans growing as you get closer to the ground is all part of it for me.

As new builds go though this looks pretty impressive. Id much rather go there for an away game than Pittidrie. Hopefully the Dundee team's can come up with something new as well.

Bazzas right boot

?20M nett cost in Scottish football for a full stadium and training ground facilities.

You guys are doing your main stand for ?12M.

Yes the Oriam is fantastic, but we do not have the luxury of such fine facilities that we can rent

Yeah, and we are doing it with no long term debt.

?20m over five or even ten years shouldn't be a problem.

Think folk on here think ?20m, it needs paid asap.

We are a bit lucky, we have been saving and have foh subs so our plan was to have no debt which of course is ideal, however a planned project of ?20m over a medium term is ok, particularly as you guys are generally ok finance wise.

Imo it will be likley around ?25m , however a short term debt won't cripple you as long as you continue to be in about finals and at the top of the league.

Unknown user

We are a bit lucky, we have been saving and have foh subs so our plan was to have no debt which of course is ideal, however a planned project of ?20m over a medium term is ok, particularly as you guys are generally ok finance wise.

Imo it will be likley around ?25m , however a short term debt won't cripple you as long as you continue to be in about finals and at the top of the league.

Even 2 million a year is nearly 40k a week. And for a minimum of 10 years too, assuming no interest and everything goes really really well. That's a large percentage of their annual turnover.

Shuttle buses. :lol:

Red Cafe. :lol:

AFC fans coming onto another clubs forum trying to convince themselves this will be anything but utterly shite. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Exactly! I've got a sheepshagger mate in a group chat who's desperately flapping to tell us how many of them get cars and buses to the games anyway and "but, but, but... there will be a fan zone" :rofl: 

IveSeenTheLight

The wealth of Milne and Cormack, a Carlsberg result would be they both split the costs and get a stand named after them.

Get Sir Ian Wood involved as well, jobs a good one.

Well Incan dream of course ;)

Unknown user

The best Aberdeen team in decades can't sell a decent number of season tickets, if true I don't how they get fans to fund the thing.. Also buses to and from home games? Really.. Sounds absolutely shit tbh.. Stadium look nice but I'm glad it isn't hearts..

Which reminds me, 103 buses it was claimed on this thread - 25 is being claimed on afc-chat

Lord Beni of Gorgie

What planning law is that?

Green belt? They've managed to build Costco, Tesco and a number of Industrial sites around the area.

Gas pipeline? I thought that was consulted to be fine.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Seems i have hit a nerve there.

I don't know Planning law myself but I assume the places you mentioned do have economic benefits such as jobs for the people of Westhill.

Only mentioned what I read in Aberdeen papers

Stephen Muddie

I don't make subtle digs. You must be reading them in the wrong way from intended.

I said "let's not go down the tired road again" because it has been discussed numerous times, but seeing as you are insisting.......

I mentioned the self harm as you were being derogatory (and I understand why) regarding Aberdeens position being an anomaly, whilst the records show that we are the most successful Scottish team outside the gruesome twosome.

So I did not understand your debate point which Backfires to point out that our current 'anomaly' is all part of a history which is more successful over our 114 years than you have over your 137 years.

Sure, we're currently on a high and will no doubt be inconceivable to maintain 2nd best team in the league over the longer period.

I accept that. I don't have an "expected" or "entitled" view.

For the record, again, it's not a dig or elitism or anything else. I asked not to go down this tired old road, and only responded out of respect to your wishes

That's all good but I still struggle to correlate self harm with being put in my place regards the anomoly comment.

Rangers dying was an anomoly. An anomoly suggests a break from norm. Ie going from I guess 3rd most successful to 2nd most. Get it now?

I appreciate the lengthy reply but I'm baffled as to what way I'd be harming myself discussing football on the internet. You seem convinced though so we should leave it at that.

IveSeenTheLight

Don't shoot the messenger.

Seems i have hit a nerve there.

I don't know Planning law myself but I assume the places you mentioned do have economic benefits such as jobs for the people of Westhill.

Only mentioned what I read in Aberdeen papers

No nerve hit, just looking for facts and a balanced debate.

What planning laws did the paper mention?

I assume that there will also be an economic benefit such as jobs with this project

Nelly Terraces

Exactly! I've got a sheepshagger mate in a group chat who's desperately flapping to tell us how many of them get cars and buses to the games anyway and "but, but, but... there will be a fan zone" :rofl:

It's kinda sad, their desperation is palpable, dunno why they don't just own up & admit this will be chuffing rubbish. If the JTs had moved 5 miles outta town I wouldn't be so insecure as to not say how totally gutted I was that this was happening. Thankfully, none of us have to worry about such circumstances & staying at our beloved ground is guaranteed. :D

Will be thinking of this lot when I've strolled to the boozer pre match & have the choice of any number of establishments & travel options afterwards, all the while this lot are stuck in traffic on a wee shuttle bus miles from nowhere eating into their valuable drinking time (think piss lager out a plastic beaker at 5 quid a pint) in the Red Cafe.

doctor jambo

It would be a shame for them to move.

Lived on junction of King street and Pittodrie street for years.

Worked in the stadium also for a year

I like the ground, though the main stand is a bit retro I quite like that!

Not a massive fan of homogenized stadia

Tynecastle redevelopment was done when we had a board that were NOT pushing their own agenda but approached it with the fans in mind and showed it WAS viable

The move is what Milne wants- as Pie man was trying to dig himself out of a hole with us

Look for the truth under the message

Match day is a whole routine

The walk, the bars the beach the seagulls

shots in the broadhill bar then match then Eastneuk pub, or the King street mill

vs drive, match , drive , home

surprised the sheepie fans are going for it

Unknown user

The wealth of Milne and Cormack, a Carlsberg result would be they both split the costs and get a stand named after them.

Get Sir Ian Wood involved as well, jobs a good one.

Well Incan dream of course ;)

There's got to be an element of that planned or the finances make it pure pie in the sky. Yes our stand's costing 12 million (hopefully!) but we also have 8,000 fans putting in money separately from tickets, merchandise, etc, not to mention more ST holders and bigger crowds.

Also, the 50 million only covers phases 1 & 2, so you're planning to spend 50 million quid and you still won't have an indoor pitch to train on without another phase and at least 5 million of additional spending.

Romanov Stole My Pension

Why can't Pittodrie in its current state be used for another decade?

I get it's not the nicest stadium, but is there any really hurry to develop the older stands? When HMFC was in ?30m of debt it was terrifying and it didn't seem in any way possible to repay it ever. I wouldn't wish that on Aberdeen.

I am all for this as i never set foot in their current shithole of a stadium and town anyway.

Happy for our resident arsehole codheids to sit for hours on shuttle busses and then plonk themselves down in their soulless half empty ikea stadium then have a wee decaf coffee in their rip off red cafe before freezing their tiny wee nuts off waiting on the shuttle busses to come and pick them up to take them home to their hovels and ugly wives.

Now please GTF sheep and talk shite on your own forum.

Nelly Terraces

I am all for this as i never set foot in their current shithole of a stadium and town anyway.

Happy for our resident arsehole codheids to sit for hours on shuttle busses and then plonk themselves down in their soulless half empty ikea stadium then have a wee decaf coffee in their rip off red cafe before freezing their tiny wee nuts off waiting on the shuttle busses to come and pick them up to take them home to their hovels and ugly wives.

:lol: sheer poetry!

IveSeenTheLight

There's got to be an element of that planned or the finances make it pure pie in the sky. Yes our stand's costing 12 million (hopefully!) but we also have 8,000 fans putting in money separately from tickets, merchandise, etc, not to mention more ST holders and bigger crowds.

Also, the 50 million only covers phases 1 & 2, so you're planning to spend 50 million quid and you still won't have an indoor pitch to train on without another phase and at least 5 million of additional spending.

Yes it's phased and yes there is no indoor pitch, but it's not an immediate requirement.

I've played on outdoor 4G pitches when grass has frozen.

So they could be used and in the very occasional times it's not possible, we can rent indoor pitches as we do currently.

Unknown user

Yes it's phased and yes there is no indoor pitch, but it's not an immediate requirement.

I've played on outdoor 4G pitches when grass has frozen.

So they could be used and in the very occasional times it's not possible, we can rent indoor pitches as we do currently.

Honestly, you don't see any flaws in a plan that has you spending 50 million you don't have on a stadium and training complex, and you'll still have to rent a hall?

Hagar the Horrible

Try for a plan d then.

How far from Aberdeen is this site.

126.4miles,  they are going to share with Hearts?

Besides Milne has already said they might have to play European games here, and going by the AFC-Chat (seville calculator) they bring more away fans to Tynecastle than we have a stadium capable of housing them?  And more than they take to a home game?

and with the erchie well and truly out of the oil industry, the Sheep should play the Specials Ghost Town.

It will look impressive but with the build it and they will come theory, I am not so sure? by they time they have somewhere, Aberdeen will decline without any oil or fash!

Lord Beni of Gorgie

No nerve hit, just looking for facts and a balanced debate.

What planning laws did the paper mention?

I assume that there will also be an economic benefit such as jobs with this project

Leader of the no campaign seems confident. All I know. I don't go in depth or trawling round Sheepy forums looking for data. Sure you will find it if you look on your own forum. Absurd you should be asking me

Bad Religion

:lol: sheer poetry!

:rofl:

Which reminds me, 103 buses it was claimed on this thread - 25 is being claimed on afc-chat

103 is the number quoted in the stadium application for standard weekend non-old firm matches.

It's kinda sad, their desperation is palpable, dunno why they don't just own up & admit this will be chuffing rubbish. If the JTs had moved 5 miles outta town I wouldn't be so insecure as to not say how totally gutted I was that this was happening. Thankfully, none of us have to worry about such circumstances & staying at our beloved ground is guaranteed. :D

Will be thinking of this lot when I've strolled to the boozer pre match & have the choice of any number of establishments & travel options afterwards, all the while this lot are stuck in traffic on a wee shuttle bus miles from nowhere eating into their valuable drinking time (think piss lager out a plastic beaker at 5 quid a pint) in the Red Cafe.

Spot on. The thing that hits me is the fact that they are all cheerleading this project. There doesn't seem to be any dissenting voices or even concerns among their support. As you say, I'd be devastated if we'd moved away from Tynie and so would the majority of our support. Maybe it just goes to show how much of a shithole Pittodrie is that they don't care where they go, so long as they leave! Sad to feel like that about a place that you've called home for so long and had some success in. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

103 is the number quoted in the stadium application for standard weekend non-old firm matches.

LL, what would the options be for rebuilding Pittodrie. Have they any contingency plan for that?

LL, what would the options be for rebuilding Pittodrie. Have they any contingency plan for that?

I think the whole deal is around Milne building houses on the land is it not?

Best post I've read on here today :lol:

IveSeenTheLight

Honestly, you don't see any flaws in a plan that has you spending 50 million you don't have on a stadium and training complex, and you'll still have to rent a hall?

No I don't.

Its a phased approach.

Football is played outdoors in all weathers, It's good to play in all conditions, toughens them up.

You only need to be indoors when theres snow lying on the ground which actually doesn't happen that often

Leader of the no campaign seems confident. All I know. I don't go in depth or trawling round Sheepy forums looking for data. Sure you will find it if you look on your own forum. Absurd you should be asking me

;) You brought up the point after having read something in the papers, hence I asked you on the point your raised.

Nothing absurd about it

Archived