New Stand: Ongoing work (updated)

Clerry Jambo

1 hour ago, Hearts_fan said:

Perfectly reasonable point of view from someone who believes in the Club's potential for growth.

It's self-evident that if there is no room for growth, there will be no growth.

I find it strange, but not surprising, that fans who believe in the Club's potential for growth are targeted for ridicule and are basically sneered at on here.

Personally, I believe there are people out there who don't currently come to the games but who would if there were to be a seat for them when the team has a period of success, thus attracting them in. That's how growth works. 

To be clear, I am not saying the capacity could have been any bigger at this stage. I can see the new stand is as big as it could possibly have been. 

However, I am put-off by remarks of fellow supporters who proudly state that the Club and its supporter base will never be any bigger than they are today. To me, that's patently lacking in ambition.

If the time comes where more people want season tickets then obviously we just reduce the tickets available to away fans, 5% is the minimum we must provide to away clubs, at a rough estimate with the new capacity, around 900 away fans.

Holyrood_Hearts
2 hours ago, Hearts_fan said:

Personally, I believe there are people out there who don't currently come to the games but who would if there were to be a seat for them when the team has a period of success, thus attracting them in. That's how growth works. 

That’s total nonsense. So when the team’s not doing so well & these people don’t fancy it that’s alright? 

Holyrood_Hearts
31 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

If the time comes where more people want season tickets then obviously we just reduce the tickets available to away fans, 5% is the minimum we must provide to away clubs, at a rough estimate with the new capacity, around 900 away fans.

Exactly.

5 minutes ago, Holyrood_Hearts said:

That’s total nonsense. So when the team’s not doing so well & these people don’t fancy it that’s alright? 

We hang, draw and quarter them. That's the way to deal with people like that.

I see Hearts have posted on Facebook that hospitality for the Partick game at Tynecastle will go on sale tomorrow at 9am.  I can't believe they'd have done that if they weren't extremely confident that it'll go ahead. 

12 minutes ago, Holyrood_Hearts said:

But there it is again, the ugly head of fatalism: "Hearts are so shit that anyone who hasn't been indoctrinated from birth is going to turn and walk away forever at the first 0-0 draw at home to St Mirren."

Personally, I have more faith in the broad appeal of Heart of Midlothian FC, and happen to be of the opinion that other people – that is people other than those who, like me, were indoctrinated in Hearts in childhood – can fall in love with the Club too, and that doing so is a fate that can befall adults as well as children.

We haven't been put off by midweek 0-0 draws with St Mirren (or at least I haven't) and that's because I (perhaps we) found a home at Tynecastle. Others can too.

scott herbertson

I think the club has gone for the best option within our means at present. I’d like to think we will aim at a bigger capacity once we have settled in and filled Tynecastle Park a few times, but it will cost a lot of money so there has to be a good business case for it

scott herbertson
2 minutes ago, Hearts_fan said:

But there it is again, the ugly head of fatalism: "Hearts are so shit that anyone who hasn't been indoctrinated from birth is going to turn and walk away forever at the first 0-0 draw at home to St Mirren."

Personally, I have more faith in the broad appeal of Heart of Midlothian FC, and happen to be of the opinion that other people – that is people other than those who, like me, were indoctrinated in Hearts in childhood – can fall in love with the Club too, and that doing so is a fate that can befall adults as well as children.

We haven't been put off by midweek 0-0 draws with St Mirren (or at least I haven't) and that's because I (perhaps we) found a home at Tynecastle. Others can too.

To be fair there’s been a few people on here saying they won’t go to matches because we’ve been performing badly lately and history shows us if we have a bad run attendances will fall.

1 minute ago, scott herbertson said:

To be fair there’s been a few people on here saying they won’t go to matches because we’ve been performing badly lately and history shows us if we have a bad run attendances will fall.

I completely accept that. My point was simply that we can (and we do) attract new fans. We lose fans for many reasons all the time, but new ones come along. All I am saying is it is possible to attract more new fans. 

scott herbertson
4 minutes ago, Hearts_fan said:

I completely accept that. My point was simply that we can (and we do) attract new fans. We lose fans for many reasons all the time, but new ones come along. All I am saying is it is possible to attract more new fans. 

No no problem with that. I used t be responsible for leisure centres and the marketing assumed a high turnover so they were always seeking new customers. I think there is less ‘drop off’ in football, but we still need to factor in something like 5 - 10% new ST holders every year. With the new stand that figure will be even higher and hopefully the new facilities will make it more attractive.

Sir Vladimir of Romanov

Well, this thread shows kickback in all its glory as well as the ugly side. I choose to think the stadium will be magnificent, the fans will adapt and the team will once again create a fortress. In a few shoreline months most of this will be irrelevant. 

2 hours ago, Hearts_fan said:

Perfectly reasonable point of view from someone who believes in the Club's potential for growth.

It's self-evident that if there is no room for growth, there will be no growth.

I find it strange, but not surprising, that fans who believe in the Club's potential for growth are targeted for ridicule and are basically sneered at on here.

To be clear, I am not saying the capacity could have been any bigger at this stage. I can see the new stand is as big as it could possibly have been. 

However, I am put-off by remarks of fellow supporters who proudly state that the Club and its supporter base will never be any bigger than they are today. To me, that's patently lacking in ambition.

Well said. Couldn't have put it better myself.

1 hour ago, jbee647 said:

That doesn't bring in any more money though.

30 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

No no problem with that. I used t be responsible for leisure centres and the marketing assumed a high turnover so they were always seeking new customers. I think there is less ‘drop off’ in football, but we still need to factor in something like 5 - 10% new ST holders every year. With the new stand that figure will be even higher and hopefully the new facilities will make it more attractive.

Absolutely. It stands to reason (no pun intended) that a better stand is going to be more appealing to paying fans. 

One of the big issues with increasing the stadium capacity was the risk issue with the chemicals stored. The board took a very pragmatic approach and produced a plan to build a stand which increased the capacity. This was done by arguing correctly that the new stand can be evacuated quicker than the old stand. Could we have argued and succeeded and building in a bigger stand. Unlikely in my opinion. Will other options come up in the future? Absolutely 

where were all you guys shouting for growth when we had the old stand for all those years, we have raised the number of seats "but not by enough", say some of you, you where very quiet about the number of seats when we had fewer than we have now, is it any excuse for a moan on here?

48 minutes ago, alanthejambo said:

One of the big issues with increasing the stadium capacity was the risk issue with the chemicals stored. The board took a very pragmatic approach and produced a plan to build a stand which increased the capacity. This was done by arguing correctly that the new stand can be evacuated quicker than the old stand. Could we have argued and succeeded and building in a bigger stand. Unlikely in my opinion. Will other options come up in the future? Absolutely 

The chemical tank issue is complete bullshit,it’s Behind the roseburn and yes who cares if the away fans die first.its health and safety as usual costing us a lot of money to tick boxes.

The capacity is fine for us at the moment imo.

If we ever get to the point where we are challenging for league titles and appearing in the later stages of  European competitions then a larger capacity can be considered. 

We are light years away from that at the moment and we have spent quite enough on the Stadium already.

It is the team that needs upgraded now or we won't even be able to fill the Stadium we've got.

I agree that capacity is fine for Now, but I would like to think that in 10 years time we will be looking at things again.

For now we will still sell out big games and if we have a great run, possibly even run of the mill SPFL matches, but we're not going to be at the point where we are locking out 1,000's of folk for a game against Partick for a long time.

However, the people saying they'd still like to see scope for long term growth are not living in cloud cuckoo land.

Edinburgh as a city is growing at quite a pace as is the surrounding area with new homes being built in places like Kirkliston etc

There will be a lot more people living within 10-15 miles of us in 10-20 years so a plan to buy land behind the Wheatfield in 5 years time once the FOH debt & stand are paid off would not be stupid. 

When I started watching Hearts in 1995, the average attendance was around 10k, so it has gone up by around 60% in 20 years. 

Slow & steady growth to 25k over 20 years would not be impossible. 

5 hours ago, scott herbertson said:

I think the club has gone for the best option within our means at present. I’d like to think we will aim at a bigger capacity once we have settled in and filled Tynecastle Park a few times, but it will cost a lot of money so there has to be a good business case for it

I have mentioned this earlier Scott. If Hearts have 30,000 even if that means 10 or 12,000 away fans (personally I don't give a hoot if they are away supporters as long as they pay £28 each to the club) that brings in an extra £350,000 per-martch (very approx) multiplied by 6 (2 Hibs + 4 OF games) which equates to £2,100,000 extra gate revenue per-season. If you want a business case for it then that is it. Personally I think Tynecastle once we have the new stand will be a fantastic venue for football, nevertheless we really need a bigger capacity but I can't see how we can ever have a bigger capacity at the present site. However I am not an architect. Hopefully it can be done though at some point in the future. I think that the gates we have had against Aberdeen and Rangers prove that this is what is required. 

4 hours ago, Hearts Daft said:

I have mentioned this earlier Scott. If Hearts have 30,000 even if that means 10 or 12,000 away fans (personally I don't give a hoot if they are away supporters as long as they pay £28 each to the club) that brings in an extra £350,000 per-martch (very approx) multiplied by 6 (2 Hibs + 4 OF games) which equates to £2,100,000 extra gate revenue per-season. If you want a business case for it then that is it. Personally I think Tynecastle once we have the new stand will be a fantastic venue for football, nevertheless we really need a bigger capacity but I can't see how we can ever have a bigger capacity at the present site. However I am not an architect. Hopefully it can be done though at some point in the future. I think that the gates we have had against Aberdeen and Rangers prove that this is what is required. 

What I am really hoping is that the fabulous new stand will coincide with a significant increase in our playing fortunes.

We've been pretty much rubbish since promotion and we all know that won't last forever.  We're in a much stronger position than any club except Celtic and morally of course, we're light years ahead of them as well.

It's all looking good but the sooner we turn the corner on the pitch the better.

If consistent results produce demand for increased capacity in future I'm sure it will happen.

Pretty confident that we’d be able to expand in future. 

We were told staying at Tynecastle and redeveloping the old stand would be impossible-it wasn’t. 

In 15 years, we may well be able to buy a bit more land behind the Wheatfield or the price/feasibility of retrofitting another deck on stilts over the top of the existing stand might be more realistic. 

Can enjoy what we’ve got first. 

Ricardo Shillyshally
8 hours ago, obua said:

The chemical tank issue is complete bullshit,it’s Behind the roseburn and yes who cares if the away fans die first.its health and safety as usual costing us a lot of money to tick boxes.

Was there not a leak/scare from there a couple of years ago?

Looking forward to the new stand, to complete our stadium. The level we are at the moment though will not see us filling the ground regularly in truth. We need to be signing players that improve us or promising younger players for the near future and we need to do a lot better producing our own, we have been under-achieving in that area despite great facilities and investment. Hopefully some of the current crop will be as good as we are being told and can go on to better things. I feel we have been the getting players that agents want us to have, we need to up our recruitment game and unearth some gems, we have in the past.

Anyone any updates on the inspections etc? Are any due this week? Thoughts on the game going ahead? 

30k haha. Made me laugh this morning. 

10 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

Anyone any updates on the inspections etc? Are any due this week? Thoughts on the game going ahead? 

30k haha. Made me laugh this morning. 

Are there any inspections this week ?!?!?!

No nothing planned we are just going to print off a safety certificate from a random website and stick it on the doors of the main stand incase anyone asks to see it. ?

1 hour ago, CMc said:

Pretty confident that we’d be able to expand in future. 

We were told staying at Tynecastle and redeveloping the old stand would be impossible-it wasn’t. 

In 15 years, we may well be able to buy a bit more land behind the Wheatfield or the price/feasibility of retrofitting another deck on stilts over the top of the existing stand might be more realistic. 

Can enjoy what we’ve got first. 

Exactly. Let's enjoy our fantastic new stadium. 

9 hours ago, Neilson's Shank said:

Great photos mate

Love these pics, the hearts support looks not too bad in murrayfield , something i could not appreciate sitting in 

the bottom tier.

19 minutes ago, Jamboelite said:

Are there any inspections this week ?!?!?!

No nothing planned we are just going to print off a safety certificate from a random website and stick it on the doors of the main stand incase anyone asks to see it. ?

I know a good website if we are struggling. 

4 hours ago, Hearts Daft said:

I have mentioned this earlier Scott. If Hearts have 30,000 even if that means 10 or 12,000 away fans (personally I don't give a hoot if they are away supporters as long as they pay £28 each to the club) that brings in an extra £350,000 per-martch (very approx) multiplied by 6 (2 Hibs + 4 OF games) which equates to £2,100,000 extra gate revenue per-season. If you want a business case for it then that is it. Personally I think Tynecastle once we have the new stand will be a fantastic venue for football, nevertheless we really need a bigger capacity but I can't see how we can ever have a bigger capacity at the present site. However I am not an architect. Hopefully it can be done though at some point in the future. I think that the gates we have had against Aberdeen and Rangers prove that this is what is required. 

This ain't no dig at the above post, just a different opinion.

Murrayfield had the novelty factor. This current Hibernian ascendancy won't last, it never does, 12K Hibs at Tynecastle, pure fantasy, them, not you.

Tynecastles quad roof supports can't be removed. Current height restrictions locally doesn't allow a structure of this enormity to be built. Any roof/load bearing superstructure would need to be re-positioned outside the perimeter of Tynecastle and probably need to be double the existing height.

At present we don't have a sellable product on the park, but when we eventually get this component right, we then, with great delight start throttling the away fans allocation. 5% of 20K = 1000, this is the minimum requisite for our visitors. Hopefully, In the next couple of years Tynecastle will again be a cauldron.

We now have a neat and tidy 20,000 + all-seater stadium in Gorgie. Please, can we now enjoy & appreciate this tangible fact?... Our own fantasy is now reality!

Nucky Thompson
30 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Love these pics, the hearts support looks not too bad in murrayfield , something i could not appreciate sitting in 

the bottom tier.

Put your glasses on and have a look at the Murrayfield pics again :laugh:

All roads lead to Gorgie
1 minute ago, Nucky Thompson said:

That had to be a wind up surely :smile:

33 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

the bottom tier.

3 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

The baw is an ill shape.

All roads lead to Gorgie
2 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

The baw is an ill shape.

Those posts would have come in handy with our wayward shooting and our up and under tactics might have paid dividends.;)

6 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

This ain't no dig at the above post, just a different opinion.

Murrayfield had the novelty factor. This current Hibernian ascendancy won't last, it never does, 12K Hibs at Tynecastle, pure fantasy, them, not you.

Tynecastles quad roof supports can't be removed. Current height restrictions locally doesn't allow a structure of this enormity to be built. Any roof/load bearing superstructure would need to be re-positioned outside the perimeter of Tynecastle and probably need to be double the existing height.

At present we don't have a sellable product on the park, but when we eventually get this component right, we then, with great delight start throttling the away fans allocation. 5% of 20K = 1000, this is the minimum requisite for our visitors. Hopefully, In the next couple of years Tynecastle will again be a cauldron.

We now have a neat and tidy 20,000 + all-seater stadium in Gorgie. Please, can we now enjoy & appreciate this tangible fact?... Our own fantasy is now reality!

Can I just pick up on the point of away allocations ?

Might be wrong but I believe it's only SC matches that have minimum allocation and it's 20% if required.

I don't think there is a minimum for league games. To use our visits to Ibrox during our Championship season as an example we were allocated 1500 tickets for the first match for the second match we were restricted to 1000 on both occasions less than 5%.

So hopefully we can throttle the away allocation a bit more if need be.

1 minute ago, luckydug said:

Can I just pick up on the point of away allocations ?

Might be wrong but I believe it's only SC matches that have minimum allocation and it's 20% if required.

I don't think there is a minimum for league games. To use our visits to Ibrox during our Championship season as an example we were allocated 1500 tickets for the first match for the second match we were restricted to 1000 on both occasions less than 5%.

So hopefully we can throttle the away allocation a bit more if need be.

Thanks LD, much appreciated.

9 hours ago, luckydug said:

The capacity is fine for us at the moment imo.

If we ever get to the point where we are challenging for league titles and appearing in the later stages of  European competitions then a larger capacity can be considered. 

We are light years away from that at the moment and we have spent quite enough on the Stadium already.

It is the team that needs upgraded now or we won't even be able to fill the Stadium we've got.

I agree with this. 

What I don't agree with is the idea prevalent on here that we are as big as we ever will be.

To say that we will never, ever have a need for a greater capacity is a statement that smacks of an inferiority complex.

I'd be really interested to know how many different people have been to support Hearts at Tynecastle in the past 10 years, say. Impossible to answer, but it's obvious that the answer is not 16,000. It's probably a lot more than 32,000. My point is that we are not a fixed number of fans whose quantity is calculated by averaging the home attendance figures. 

I've heard some people say things like "aye, but when we have a period of bad form these fans will stop coming." That's such a negative way of looking at it. I understand why some look at it that way, it's an aspect of human nature and we all look at things differently. 

I just prefer to look into the future imagining HMFC with a greatly increased turnover due to higher attendances, able to invest significantly more in better quality of players. It's a snowball situation, more fans means better players means more demand. 

I get that there are limits to what can be done at Tynecastle, but the past three years have shown that with the right people and the right types of investment, miracles can happen.

1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

:huh2: ha ha, was early before my 1st coffee, 

Cant afford any mistakes on KB, the perfect forum.

Edited by Harry Potter

Given how close we are to opening, my guess is that the stand isn't going to be given a new name for now. I see on etickets that it's just down as 'new main stand'. 

2 minutes ago, JALBO said:

Given how close we are to opening, my guess is that the stand isn't going to be given a new name for now. I see on etickets that it's just down as 'new main stand'. 

I think it'll be called the Dave Mackay stand and we'll play a friendly with Tottenham in the summer to officially open it/name it

Would rather it had a meaningful name than the rights being sold and it being another giant ad in the ground

I see the thought police are out in force again.

Granted, discussions about the future of the Club may be out of place on this particular thread, but come on, asking people to stop talking about the future so one can enjoy the present?

Just scroll on and let people speak.

I completely agree about the moaning minnies, but silencing people for dreaming of a maroon future? Come on.