New Stand: Ongoing work (updated)

Clerry Jambo

I built my own house, I used timber, bricks, breeze blocks, stone,  rough casting, and glass windows, to my horror i have just discovered that the glass in my windows is actually a design from away back and the timber goes back thousands of years, and even the use of bricks is just so yesterday.  but when i discovered the use of the doorbell is so 1831 can you imagine how distraught i feel, just now....yir an erse

The guy is only making his view known. He's also doing it in a reasonable, polite way. 

You just proved his last comment correct. 

Where did I say it wasn't the best that could be done given the constraints you list?

That doesn't mean I have to agree it will look "sublime".

With respect you have no idea if it will look "sublime" or not until it's finished!

With respect you have no idea if it will look "sublime" or not until it's finished!

He's already judged it run of the mill. When in the context of Scottish football stands, it looks like it will be anything but run of the mill

I think that's a fair point, mate. However, the same applies to the other view point - there's been plenty on here waxing lyrically about awesome it's going to be/look. Go back a few pages and there's posters saying it will be the best stadium in the world for it's size... 

Buffalo Bill

Where did I say it wasn't the best that could be done given the constraints you list?

That doesn't mean I have to agree it will look "sublime".

Never mind. You don't have to answer my question. I was really hoping to read how you'd have designed it, and what features it would have, given your interest in architecture.

Hopefully you'll be a bit more impressed when it's all done. :)

While FA is doing his Eeyore impression again I will stick my neck out and say I'm not in love with curtain walls, and concave ones can do weird things.  I walk by this building on my way into grad school (believe it or not the hideous building in the background is the architecture school :facepalm:) and the lens effect of concave glass creates one focal point spot in front that's unpleasantly hot in the morning.

WR_UVA_Caplin_03.jpg

A bigger version of this problem:

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/how-london-skyscraper-can-melt-cars-set-buildings-fire-8C11069092

But the curve of the new stand probably isn't enough to create a significant amount of focal heat.

I haven't been near the bid process on a commercial building in about four years now and I don't know what the costs and planning considerations are in Scotland, but I don't think there's been a better architecture of football grounds than the best of Leach's stands like Ibrox or Villa Park.  (In general I just prefer brick facades.)  But I want to make it clear that these are minor quibbles and that I think this will make a fantastic new front to Tynecastle that I'm really excited about.

Interesting comments, however the glass is not curved and will not therefore have 'focal heat' due to a lens effect.

Whilst the support steelwork is curved, the curtainwall facets round the curve in straight segments - the overall 'curve' is pretty shallow, so once complete it will pretty much look like it is curved.  Please also bear in mind that curved glass units are extremely expensive and would have near enough doubled the budget.

With regards to Ibrox and Villa Park brick facades they are magnificent, if from a by gone age.  On modern buildings there is a desire to let as much daylight as possible into the interior, and the new stand facility at Tynecastle follows this theme.

Never mind. You don't have to answer my question. I was really hoping to read how you'd have designed it, and what features it would have, given your interest in architecture.

Hopefully you'll be a bit more impressed when it's all done. :)

Yes I am also disappointed - I was looking forward to FA's expert view on where we have gone wrong....... :tiny:

I think that's a fair point, mate. However, the same applies to the other view point - there's been plenty on here waxing lyrically about awesome it's going to be/look. Go back a few pages and there's posters saying it will be the best stadium in the world for it's size... 

As I have said before - wait until it is fully complete.  Then you can all judge if it is "awesome" or "boring"

I shouldn't I know ... but so far it looks to be shaping up to look like a run of the mill office block of circa 1970, with the sort of curtain wall structure (albeit with a curve!) they began throwing up in New York and elsewhere 80 years ago. Maybe it will be better when the glass and other coloured bits in the artists impression are in place.

But it will perform its function well I am sure, which is the main thing.

A typical 70s office block from the UK.

JS30980509JPG.jpg

New stand

438612-plans-for-hearts-new-main-stand-a

I'm not seeing the similarity, to be honest.

upgotheheads

While FA is doing his Eeyore impression again I will stick my neck out and say I'm not in love with curtain walls, and concave ones can do weird things.  I walk by this building on my way into grad school (believe it or not the hideous building in the background is the architecture school :facepalm:) and the lens effect of concave glass creates one focal point spot in front that's unpleasantly hot in the morning.

WR_UVA_Caplin_03.jpg

A bigger version of this problem:

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/how-london-skyscraper-can-melt-cars-set-buildings-fire-8C11069092

But the curve of the new stand probably isn't enough to create a significant amount of focal heat.

I haven't been near the bid process on a commercial building in about four years now and I don't know what the costs and planning considerations are in Scotland, but I don't think there's been a better architecture of football grounds than the best of Leach's stands like Ibrox or Villa Park.  (In general I just prefer brick facades.)  But I want to make it clear that these are minor quibbles and that I think this will make a fantastic new front to Tynecastle that I'm really excited about.

I hope it doesn't melt the school across the road, especially if the kids are in it.

New stand

438612-plans-for-hearts-new-main-stand-a

I'm not seeing the similarity, to be honest.

That image is not the design being used. It changed for numerous reasons according to Thomasso. 

As someone who has always had a very amateur interest in architecture it is heart warming that a comment on architectural design should arouse such passion. "The worst ever post on JKB"?

I think the stadium will look fabulous from inside. The decision to replicate the other stands' style (which is great) was absolutely right. I look forward to taking my seat in the new stand.

Nor do I expect any great architectural innovation from the McLeod Street view. All I would hope Is that "form follows function" and that in some way it resembles a football stadium (sorry "park"). I hope (it is difficult to tell from the architect impressions) that the roof support and corner towers and floodlights will still be a visible sign from ground level that this is a football ground.

But from the images to date the frontage itself looks to me to be developing into something like an office building of a certain vintage, Google "Seagram Building", an early example of glass curtain wall, to see what I mean. I exaggerated. It wasn't 80 years ago, nearer 60.

JKB showing on this thread its usual intolerance of a different opinion (that is all it is).

I might be flying a kite here....but I think the big HMFC crest and "TYNECASTLE PARK" on the fa?ade, not to mention thousands of football fans with football scarfs entering it, may be a dead give away that it is a football ground........ :bulb2:

Alwayssunnyingorgie

I might be flying a kite here....but I think the big HMFC crest and "TYNECASTLE PARK" on the fa?ade, not to mention thousands of football fans with football scarfs entering it, may be a dead give away that it is a football ground........ :bulb2:

You'll still get some dafty asking what's going on there :lol:

Fxxx the SPFL

just put FA on ignore probably 99% of his posts contain negative comments

That image is not the design being used. It changed for numerous reasons according to Thomasso. 

Unless you are seriously trying to suggest that the minor changes (to the curtain facade overhang) have altered the design to the point it actually does resemble a 70s office block, then your reply is completely irrelevant.

Hackney Hearts

All I would hope Is that "form follows function" and that in some way it resembles a football stadium 

I suppose you hate this then?

Allianz-Arena-M%C3%BCnchen.jpg

Armageddon

We could build that exact stadium on Tynecastle and folk on here would still moan their tits off.  You never hear anybody complain that "The Allianz Arena isn't in the city, it's soulless"

Unknown user

Surely we're big enough to discuss (or ignore if your you prefer!) a guy's honest opinion in an adult way without everyone getting angry that he isn't toeing the party line ffs!

FWIW I agree to an extent with FA, our expectations were set pretty high but one of the late pictures posted here reminded me of Crossbow House in Slough (from the Office opening credits) and I don't see why I should be made to feel bad or disloyal for that. I hope it'll be awesome, but I'm buggered if I'll blindly regurgitate an opinion just because it's the popular one.

We need that stand, it will make a huge difference to us financially and is for the benefit of the club. I approve, of course, but I have concerns about the aesthetics. I'm sure I'll love it in the end for what it is but I'll be making up my own mind if I like it's looks.

just put FA on ignore probably 99% of his posts contain negative comments

FA is OK.   He is entitled to his opinion....even though it did come over as a bit of a peenge!  :tiny:

Bad Religion

That is the design outwith the glass overhang at each end of the facade possibly. 

What else has changed?

hmfc_liam06

Maybe folk wouldn't be all over FA if some of his posts on off-field matters were actually positive from time to time.

I believe a couple of posters are still waiting on what you'd have done differently FA.

kingdannyb

We could build that exact stadium on Tynecastle and folk on here would still moan their tits off. 

You never hear anybody complain that "The Allianz Arena isn't in the city, it's soulless"

I've been to the Allianz in Munich.

It is a perfect design ... on paper.

But it's utterly devoid of any personality or character or style.

It's just a big concrete bowl beside the Autobahn.

Tynie, for all it's flaws, is a real football park, not a stadium.

Rudolf's Mate

I do get where FA's coming from however there's tons of stunning stadiums that you could argue don't look like your conventional stadium/park.

Arsenal's in particular looks like a shopping centre.

The fact is the stand was always going to resemble another building. The only way to avoid that is to hire one of the small group of super architects that work in the rare world of money no object building projects. I'm really not sure they'd be in our price range. And in relation to the regular reference to the frontage of the Festival Theatre the new stand is somewhere in the region of three to four times the length of that. Should look pretty stunning I'd say.

I've been to the Allianz in Munich.

It is a perfect design ... on paper.

But it's utterly devoid of any personality or character or style.

It's just a big concrete bowl beside the Autobahn.

Tynie, for all it's flaws, is a real football park, not a stadium.

But attracts 80k crowds every Bayern home game

With free and easy transport to and from the city all included in your ?320 season ticket

I loved it and was bouncing all game and had a better atmosphere than Tynie these days

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Francis Albert

Maybe folk wouldn't be all over FA if some of his posts on off-field matters were actually positive from time to time.

I believe a couple of posters are still waiting on what you'd have done differently FA.

For some reason you seemed to have missed my post #9400. Please let me know how I could make the second sentence more positive.

With free and easy transport to and from the city all included in your ?320 season ticket

I loved it and was bouncing all game and had a better atmosphere than Tynie these days

Crowd of 80,000 has a better atmosphere than a crowd of 16,000.....

For some reason you seemed to have missed my post #9400. Please let me know how I could make the second sentence more positive.

Read that post FA.

It just gives us your opinion on what you think the new stand development will look like - you are fully entitled to give us your opinion. 

However I still await your design suggestion on what we should have built - taking account of the fast track programme, site logistics, building regs, and budget.

A combination of 80'000, German beer and some of the best players probably would give a better atmosphere.

A combination of 80'000, German beer and some of the best players probably would give a better atmosphere.

:indeed:

Lucille's Thirsty

Bayern's ground reminds me of one of those polo mints.

Any particular reason those bits of steel on the front are being painted white?

Fire protection

ford donald

The colours are maroon and white,sticking to the sfa regulations!

It's for the planes that fly over tynecastle

When this structure is completely finished and ready, it will become the shining light of how our club came back from the absolute brink of going out of existence, to going forward to be one of the top football clubs in Scotland again.

We could never have imagined this happening, when kids were emptying their piggy banks to help keep us alive.

How people can pour scorn over an only recently started build is a good sign of how many keyboard eejits exist over the internet these days.

Attention seekers, and I suppose I've fallen into their web.

This says it all.

First time down here to see it, as me and the mrs are doing something in Edinburgh tonight. Looking ****ing huge, pics don't do this monster justice.

Francis Albert

Read that post FA.

It just gives us your opinion on what you think the new stand development will look like - you are fully entitled to give us your opinion.

However I still await your design suggestion on what we should have built - taking account of the fast track programme, site logistics, building regs, and budget.

the post you replied to was in reply to someone saying i never said amything positive. In fact i waxed lyrical about the part of the stand that matters most, the bit you sit in and you see from other seats and from the pitch and the tv cameras. I have already said that the constraints on the design of the mcleod st frontage mean that what we have

got may well be the best achievable. Most fans will see it at most for 5 minutes every couple of weeks and there is not a lot of traffic in mcleod st so not that many others will see it. It doesn't much matter if it bears a close relationship with an office building. It is just my opinion which as you generously say i am entitled to. Lets see what it ultimately looks like. I think i'll leave it there and the thread can return to building site fetishism.

Edited by Francis Albert

hmfc_liam06

Sorry FA I didn't read it, I usually just skip past your negative rumblings.

PeterintheRain

Looks like a tyre! 

That's because it is.   A giant tyre, next to the motorway, in the middle of nowhere.