Jeremy Corbyn

joseywales

Theresa May is absolutely dreadful as a Prime Minister.

Corbyn is a poor leader for Labour at this time (or any). Good manifesto though.

Still rather have PM Corbyn than PM May.

:spoton:

Could've been written in 1976.

Behave.

Me too. Indyref2 was voted through holyrood, so I'm seriously considering labour. One big issue, though. I can't vote for Slab. :(

Now, will SLAB adopt nationalisation of the railways at the next Holyrood elections?

When was the Tory manifesto written, 1933?

:yas:

Naw, but Labours is a hark back to darker times, I don't fancy a 3 day week like my dad.

Darker than the 1930's?

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Me too. Indyref2 was voted through holyrood, so I'm seriously considering labour. One big issue, though. I can't vote for Slab. :(

So you want to back Corbyn but won't back the Scottish Labour Party who take the UK whip at Westminster?

Deary me.

If you vote for a Scottish Labour candidate you will endorse a Labour manifesto which is the bedrock of Corbyn's bid to be PM and for a Labour government.

Behave.

Now, will SLAB adopt nationalisation of the railways at the next Holyrood elections?

:yas:

Darker than the 1930's?

On your rail nationalisation point, they've argued for a state or not for profit model for some time Boris.

coconut doug

Blairs botch was thinking u could introduce democracy to a nation without the half who had enjoyed a life of supremacy wishing to wipe out the half who would take it. but millions don't shed tears for Saddam, especially the Kurds.

Natos Serbian intervention was correct and halted a genocide of Kosovan Muslims but they never get the credit for that funnily enough.

Thinking of Iraq i forgot Comrade Corbyn victim blamed along with the reptile Galloway the day after 7/7. Last time I checked Dewsbury wasn't in Iraq or bombed at any time by UK/us.

The differences are huge. Jezbollah, McDonnell, Livingston et al explicitly side and condone the actions of criminal, brutal, terrorist thugs and have a long track record of doing so.

And almost forgetting , the shocking legacy of their hero Chavez has made them look even more stupid and dangerous.

Nobody had the slightest interest in installing democracy. They even admitted they had no exit strategy. The war was started on a totally false pretext that they made up themselves. Saddam was becoming too powerful and Israel potentially threatened. Not many will shed tears for Saddam you are correct,  but the worst years of oppression and killing were over. He had destroyed much of the opposition with western help in the first years of leadership. We all know who installed him and armed him including the supply of poison gas and helping him to deploy it against Iran. Saddam was one of ours but then he got too big for his boots.

The attack on Iraq was an act of terrorism on the Iraqi people by the West. They didn't allow Blix to finish his report. They planned to invade before the weather got too hot and nothing was going to stop them. It was an act of aggression with inevitable consequences which of course were denied by Blair and Bush but they were warned as to what would happen. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/02/AR2007060200905.html Chaos, destruction and state disfunction were the aims. Next Libya then Syria.

Nato's Serbia myth endures as well but can easily be refuted. The bombing of civilian targets in Serbia in which hundreds of civilians died took place before the alleged ethnic cleansing/genocide in Kosovo. Attacks on muslims in Kosovo were predicted as a response to the bombing and were to be used as justification for the attacks. The media and military propaganda machines went into action to reverse the order of events. Even when a cease fire happened and there was a delay in negotiations Nato resumed bombing civilian targets, all without a security council resolution. Shortly afterwards they reneged on the deal they made with Serbia, and Kosovo was split from Serbia. 

I remember Alec Salmond telling us about it at the time. He was one of very few dissenting voices. It's hard to believe but I've not seen a better and more detailed analysis of events than Chomsky's. https://chomsky.info/200005__/ Incidentally He also writes about how the West helped the Turks with their ethnic cleansing and genocide of the Kurds, something Saddam never quite managed. You should read it. It's very detailed and informative with excellent source material.

Maybe you should consider the Thatcher government's role in the legitimisation of Pohl Pot's Year Zero project and how they protected him whilst he killed around 2 million.

I've seen nothing to support any allegation that Corbyn is a terrorist, a terrorist sympathiser or anything but a decent guy who respects the sanctity of life. He might be na?ve and an all round idiot totally unsuited to be our Prime Minister but he is a decent human being and it is that which makes him stand out from his current challengers and predecessors. It is to his credit that he states he would never press the nuclear button.

Naw, but Labours is a hark back to darker times, I don't fancy a 3 day week like my dad.

Why would we have a 3 day week? Oh no power cuts anaw. Weird how a country like Scotland can have power cuts with the energy it produces. Same with food banks when we produce 95% of what we eat. You see, this is when generosity of the common man, becomes government policy (as in food banks to welfare cuts). But hey up the Tories they love us. When are people gonnae take them to task. One very big feck up, diesel engines. Not a peep. Brexit, not a peep. Rape clause, not a peep. Benefit cuts to the poor and disabled, not a peep. Electoral fraud, not a peep. Education, not a peep. NHS, not a peep. Armed Forces, not a peep. The list is endless. Yes the SNP have failed to hit their targets, but at least they admit it, and are trying to rectify it. But hey #SNPBAD. I'd love labour to win for the sake of the working classes down south, because they're in for the biggest custard pie known to man, when evil Lynn unleashes even darker Conservativism than Thatcher. Frightening times lay ahead for the UK under an absolute governance of sheer Conservative rule.

It may be the catalyst for Indy, but it can't be good for a powerhouse like England.(London is a city state now, so it dictates itself, whomever runs WM.)

coconut doug

Well.said elvoys. Corbyn is a wrongun and not such the pacifist he makes himself out to be. There is a nasty undercurrent to .

I'd like to see some proof of that.

ToadKiller Dog

Great play from Corbyn , don't think he will win but the Tory spivs will not get the big landslide they hope for .

Progressive politics isnt dead no matter what the right wing populists might scream .

On your rail nationalisation point, they've argued for a state or not for profit model for some time Boris.

One thing I'd like to see. The faces of the Tories if for a laugh, Scotland elected 50 labour MPs. That would put her majority right up her arse, and tank commander would be a wreck. But alas it won't happen.( A small olive branch to the SNP wouldn't go amiss. Like council coalitions. :) )

Nicola Sturgeon seemed to praise Labour today. Saying it was good to see labour adopt progressive policies once again.

See, there is hope.

Make sure you're eligible to vote, BTW.

Sneaky barstewards.

Great play from Corbyn , don't think he will win but the Tory spivs will not get the big landslide they hope for .

Progressive politics isnt dead no matter what the right wing populists might scream .

At the very least it may well shift the political narrative leftwards back to the centre.

Quite pleasantly surprised by their manifesto.

So you want to back Corbyn but won't back the Scottish Labour Party who take the UK whip at Westminster?

Deary me.

If you vote for a Scottish Labour candidate you will endorse a Labour manifesto which is the bedrock of Corbyn's bid to be PM and for a Labour government.

Trident?

Don't have a go at me, X2. while I'm having a epiphany. :D

Must have been drowned out by all the referendum noise...

Good to hear though.

Fwiw I did vot e labour at the Holyrood elections.

Must have been drowned out by all the referendum noise...

Good to hear though.

Fwiw I did vot e labour at the Holyrood elections.

I've never understood anti nationalisation. It makes jobs, cheaper bills and profits for the people and the government.

Just think of the benefits if we kept the 50 big corporations the Tories sold, back in the 80s.

I've never understood anti nationalisation. It makes jobs, cheaper bills and profits for the people and the government.

Just think of the benefits if we kept the 50 big corporations the Tories sold, back in the 80s.

Were you born in the 80s? These companies were a shambles. Run by the unions and answerable to no one. They ground the country to halt at the drop of a hat. They created jobs sure but at unsustainable levels. The steel industry may have survived if they'd actually met the targets they were set and shed the dead wood on the workforce.

The labour manifesto is like saying Hearts have bid 50million for Messi...knowing fine well he'd never sign but it makes the fans happy. The manifesto is a wish list from a party who knows they'll never have to actually implement it.

coconut doug

Were you born in the 80s? These companies were a shambles. Run by the unions and answerable to no one. They ground the country to halt at the drop of a hat. They created jobs sure but at unsustainable levels. The steel industry may have survived if they'd actually met the targets they were set and shed the dead wood on the workforce.

The labour manifesto is like saying Hearts have bid 50million for Messi...knowing fine well he'd never sign but it makes the fans happy. The manifesto is a wish list from a party who knows they'll never have to actually implement it.

Which companies were run by the unions and answerable to no one?

coconut doug

There is nothing in that article to suggest Corbyn is not a pacifist. Nothing that suggests he is a wrongun. He might know and speak to some wronguns but that does not make him one.

There are no nasty undercurrents as far as I can see. Corbyn is completely open about his associations and his approach with these wronguns.

Personally I think he has been mistaken in the way he has dealt with some of these people but I have no doubt he is a pacifist and no supporter of terrorism. He thinks he can show them the error of their ways.

Maroon Sailor

There is nothing in that article to suggest Corbyn is not a pacifist. Nothing that suggests he is a wrongun. He might know and speak to some wronguns but that does not make him one.

There are no nasty undercurrents as far as I can see. Corbyn is completely open about his associations and his approach with these wronguns.

Personally I think he has been mistaken in the way he has dealt with some of these people but I have no doubt he is a pacifist and no supporter of terrorism. He thinks he can show them the error of their ways.

You make him out to be like Jesus

Which companies were run by the unions and answerable to no one?

There was at least 50 privatised. You want me to name them all? Did you ever use British rail in the 80s, did you ever order a telephone from British telecom. Were you ever trying to get somewhere when a strike was on. Do I agree with it in its entirety probably not but something had to be done. It contributed about 10% to our economy on a good strikeless year!

netherleejambo

On the subject of railways this actually happens from time to time anyway. The East Coast Main Line spent several years in public ownership after it was handed back to the government by National Express in 2009, before being privatised again in 2015. It performed pretty well in public hands. It paid nearly a billion pounds in fees to the government and still managed to make a profit for the Treasury, while carrying more passengers and getting good passenger satisfaction scores. So there is some evidence that repeating that exercise each time a current rail franchise expires could work.

Not my original research but courtesy of the BBC.

Unknown user

There was at least 50 privatised. You want me to name them all? Did you ever use British rail in the 80s, did you ever order a telephone from British telecom. Were you ever trying to get somewhere when a strike was on. Do I agree with it in its entirety probably not but something had to be done. It contributed about 10% to our economy on a good strikeless year!

He didn't ask who was privatised, he asked who were run by unions and answerable to no one

Rudolf's Mate

Posters are letting their hatred for the Tories cloud their judgement. It's understandable as I was the same until I moved away from Scotland. Detested them with a vengeance!

Sorry but May wipes the floor with Corbyn whom isn't fit to run his own party never mind the country!

Also those saying he's done nothing wrong by attending IRA rallies and other terrorist supporting events. Imagine the seethe from you if this was a Tory party member. It would be off the ****ing scale.

We often go on about little Englanders but equally the same could be said re us little Scotlanders that can't/won't let go of the past and are completely blinkered.

Fair enough those questioning Scots who vote Tory however those that question why England vote Tory and not Labour is a prime example of those who are stuck in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posters are letting their hatred for the Tories cloud their judgement. It's understandable as I was the same until I moved away from Scotland. Detested them with a vengeance!

Sorry but May wipes the floor with Corbyn whom isn't fit to run his own party never mind the country!

Also those saying he's done nothing wrong by attending IRA rallies and other terrorist supporting events. Imagine the seethe from you if this was a Tory party member. It would be off the ******* scale.

We often go on about little Englanders but equally the same could be said re us little Scotlanders that can't/won't let go of the past and are completely blinkered.

Fair enough those questioning Scots who vote Tory however those that question why England vote Tory and not Labour is a prime example of those who are stuck in the past.

Nationalised industries needn't be inefficient or hamstrung by trades unions.  I very much doubt you would go back to the system of the 1970's.

As with everything, there is a sweet spot - management and unions need to work in harmony and be realistic, as for example in Scandanavia and Germany.  

Ultimately the goal is to provide the consumer with the best service.  Not sure how being driven by profit and shareholder dividends can truly provide that best service.

On further review. Did anybody read the section on Federalisation and Act of Union?.

Me neither, Kezia.

John Findlay

McCluskey of unite is pulling the strings and Jeremy Corbyn is dancing at the end of them. Even Stevie Wonder can see this.

McCluskey of unite is pulling the strings and Jeremy Corbyn is dancing at the end of them. Even Stevie Wonder can see this.

Meh.

Jose Feliciano

John Findlay

Meh.

Jose Feliciano

Boris I am a member of a trade union.

They are there to represent their members not dictate Labour party policy and try and run the country if by some miracle labour win the GE. IMHO that is not what a trade union is for. They are not a political party.

He fell down the stairs, yesterday.

Geoff Kilpatrick

The irony for the Remainers on this thread. Had this manifesto been produced in a Remain world, it would never be allowed as it breaks so many EU rules on competition.

That happened under the Tories. Ted Heath was PM. Wilson won an election for Labour to end that.

Space Mackerel

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-39892281

The fact he has to come out and say he is not a pacifist speaks volumes imo

Would you press the button Jeremy ? Yes or No ?

I would hope not for obvious reasons.

That's how stupid and mental some folk are on here, they actually crave nuclear Armageddon.

doctor jambo

Libdems to bring in Daddies month(Paternity leave). :rofl:

why not?

I would be fully in support of transfer of maternity to paternity leave - six months total- divided as the couple see fit,

I'd have LOVED 6 months off on full pay with each of my kids and would have been amazing

It would also assist equality, help the kids and in any future custody fight get rid of this "mother is the main care giver " nonsense....

Maroon Sailor

I would hope not for obvious reasons.

That's how stupid and mental some folk are on here, they actually crave nuclear Armageddon.

Crave ?

Have a word or take the day off Sturgeon boy

Boris I am a member of a trade union.

They are there to represent their members not dictate Labour party policy and try and run the country if by some miracle labour win the GE. IMHO that is not what a trade union is for. They are not a political party.

Indeed, but if they are contributing to the LP, then fair they have an input into its policies?

TU's and the LP essentially stand for the same things.  But doesn't mean a return to 1970's industrial relations.  Management and TU's both have a responsibility to do what is best for the industry/business AND the workforce.

Space Mackerel

Crave ?

Have a word or take the day off Sturgeon boy

You said has he got the bottle to push the button.

Is that first or second??

Maroon Sailor

You said has he got the bottle to push the button.

Is that first or second??

I didn't say that at all.

I think he should answer the question though if he has any aspirations of becoming PM

Space Mackerel

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-39892281

The fact he has to come out and say he is not a pacifist speaks volumes imo

Would you press the button Jeremy ? Yes or No ?

Yes you did above ^^^

I know naval ships aren't equipped with nuclear weapons so I'll excuse you on you're ignorance, but you are familiar with the MAD theory?

coconut doug

Also those saying he's done nothing wrong by attending IRA rallies and other terrorist supporting events. Imagine the seethe from you if this was a Tory party member. It would be off the ******* scale.

I take your point and I think on many occasions he was seriously misguided but then I don't think he ever imagined he would become leader of the party. I do not believe however that this makes him a terrorist sympathiser. He believes that talking to people and being inclusive with people is the only way to go. Maybe if British Governments had been more sympathetic to one side and less compliant to the other in Ireland there would have been less violence and an earlier agreement. You can't get an agreement if you don't talk to people and if there is no mutual trust.

Space Mackerel

I take your point and I think on many occasions he was seriously misguided but then I don't think he ever imagined he would become leader of the party. I do not believe however that this makes him a terrorist sympathiser. He believes that talking to people and being inclusive with people is the only way to go. Maybe if British Governments had been more sympathetic to one side and less compliant to the other in Ireland there would have been less violence and an earlier agreement. You can't get an agreement if you don't talk to people and if there is no mutual trust.

That well known lefty Tony Blair was a terrorist sympathiser!!! He brokered the Good Friday agreement.

Down with this, I want to go back to good old days of nail bombs and knee cappings.

Rudolf's Mate

I get where you're coming from but I could never vote for a party for whom it's leader attended and also gave speeches at commemorations for fallen terrorists during the troubles!

Down with this, I want to go back to good old days of nail bombs and knee cappings.

Giving or receiving?[emoji12]

John Findlay

Yes you did above ^^^

I know naval ships aren't equipped with nuclear weapons so I'll excuse you on you're ignorance, but you are familiar with the MAD theory?

Au contraire.

Yes you did above ^^^

Yes they are. Trident is submarine based. A sub is a navy ship.

doctor jambo

I find him easier to listen to than Theresa Thatcher.

I find both equally contrarian and elitist, just at opposite ends of the scale.

Both parties have abandoned those who work for a living to pander to their particular hard cores.

I await with bated breath for a party to come forward and propose , in a black and white manner how they are going to raise take home pay for all workers so they can live on what they earn without state support.

It is ridiculous that almost every business in this country is state supported- in that their wages are subsidised by tax payer top ups

Unknown user

On the subject of railways this actually happens from time to time anyway. The East Coast Main Line spent several years in public ownership after it was handed back to the government by National Express in 2009, before being privatised again in 2015. It performed pretty well in public hands. It paid nearly a billion pounds in fees to the government and still managed to make a profit for the Treasury, while carrying more passengers and getting good passenger satisfaction scores. So there is some evidence that repeating that exercise each time a current rail franchise expires could work.

Not my original research but courtesy of the BBC.

Also on the subject of railways, in the 90s the Dutch got tired of giving grants to private companies to run the rail network. They renationalised and now NS is a reliable train service with modern, clean, quiet stock running on an electrified network, bringing millions into the Exchequer, instead of it going to shareholders.

They also have subsidiaries, including Abellio, who run some services in the UK, channelng profits back to the Dutch government.

So in short, the dutch are able to make profits from their railways, not to mention UK railways.

In fact, the only government in the world which isn't allowed to tend for UK rail contracts is the British one.

But at least shareholders are makng money eh? Phew!

John Findlay

Indeed, but if they are contributing to the LP, then fair they have an input into its policies?

TU's and the LP essentially stand for the same things.  But doesn't mean a return to 1970's industrial relations.  Management and TU's both have a responsibility to do what is best for the industry/business AND the workforce.

British unions don't operate like that. Not the one that McCluskey is leader of.

British unions don't operate like that. Not the one that McCluskey is leader of.

Perhaps management don't exactly embrace it either? Both sides need to recalibrate to be successful. A lot of employers see unions as irrelevant, so simply ignore them. Not the best starting point.

Archived