Brexit?

aussieh

jack D and coke

You're seriously suggesting Project Fear mk2 is the only hope of avoiding a Yes vote?

Bangladesh of Europe? :rofl:

These hard borders? Are they going up between NI and the South?

Well they're campaigning against it happening just now and who knows..the snp politicians want to take rufugees into their own houses so if there's different immigration laws here I think you'll find mate that it could happen. It's not really the highlands of Scotland people want to live it's mainly in the English cities so if they can come here easily and slip over the border it's a possibility. I think the fear campaign will go into overdrive. I also think a lot of people just like being British mate whether people want to over egg this xenophobic angle or not. I see pish posted all over social media about how I'm supposed to be ashamed of my country's leaders and I'll be honest I don't give a flying **** [emoji1] no offence intended obviously [emoji1360]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Francis Albert

Report in The Scotsman today saying 1 in 10 have changed sides for indyref2 should it happen. Being The Scotsman and the Unionst rag that it is now, I will take it with a pinch of salt.

I believe thats enough to overturn the result in favour of a Yes. 

As is now usually the case with the Scotsman it is a pretty incoherent article with no obvious link between the headline and the rest. I can't see anything in there about voting intentions in an indyref2. It seems to be about opinions on whether and when an indyref2 should take place, which is a different issue.

Anyway as I believe the SNP want a 60% poll rating for independence continuously for at least two years before going for indyref2 it's a bit of an academic question at present.

Well they're campaigning against it happening just now and who knows..the snp politicians want to take rufugees into their own houses so if there's different immigration laws here I think you'll find mate that it could happen. It's not really the highlands of Scotland people want to live it's mainly in the English cities so if they can come here easily and slip over the border it's a possibility. I think the fear campaign will go into overdrive. I also think a lot of people just like being British mate whether people want to over egg this xenophobic angle or not. I see pish posted all over social media about how I'm supposed to be ashamed of my country's leaders and I'll be honest I don't give a flying **** [emoji1] no offence intended obviously [emoji1360]

Quite a few politicians (not just SNP) has said they'd take refugees into their homes, but none of them ever do.

Just the usual crap from politicians.

Space Mackerel

You seriously thought MSP's were going to take refugees into their own homes?

So, these hard borders? Asylum seekers, refugees, economic migrants, whatever you want to call them, can hop on a plane to Ireland, then hop in to a train to Belfast and hop on a ferry to Stranraer. 

jack D and coke

You seriously thought MSP's were going to take refugees into their own homes?

So, these hard borders? Asylum seekers, refugees, economic migrants, whatever you want to call them, can hop on a plane to Ireland, then hop in to a train to Belfast and hop on a ferry to Stranraer.

Why did they say it then? To make the Toaries look bad :facepalm:

Bit different when you're leaping off a boat as opposed to just driving over a border. Maybe the hard border will happen at the ports? Stranraer and Liverpool will become more strict. To think there's no possibility of it at all is daft imo.

Space Mackerel

Why did they say it then? To make the Toaries look bad :facepalm:

Bit different when you're leaping off a boat as opposed to just driving over a border. Maybe the hard border will happen at the ports? Stranraer and Liverpool will become more strict. To think there's no possibility of it at all is daft imo.

Ive never mentioned anything about MP's/MSP's taking refugees into their own homes.

So what do you think the plans are regarding Ni and the South? Surely the same would apply here between Scotland and England. 

jack D and coke

Ive never mentioned anything about MP's/MSP's taking refugees into their own homes.

So what do you think the plans are regarding Ni and the South? Surely the same would apply here between Scotland and England.

I never said you said it dafty I said them[emoji1]

I think the fact that some Irish people are protesting against there being a hard border tells you something. I hope it's not the case but to completely rule it out is foolish. Britain at the moment is making noises about controlling its borders and hard brexit so it stands to reason if Scotland breaks away and joins the EU with the freedoms that brings I think you'd see some changes.

Space Mackerel

I never said you said it dafty I said them[emoji1]

I think the fact that some Irish people are protesting against there being a hard border tells you something. I hope it's not the case but to completely rule it out is foolish. Britain at the moment is making noises about controlling its borders and hard brexit so it stands to reason if Scotland breaks away and joins the EU with the freedoms that brings I think you'd see some changes.

So, in essence, what you're saying is that the decision will be taken in Westminster where there should be any hard borders or not? Just to keep the wee bogey black men out and us Sweatys?

jack D and coke

So, in essence, what you're saying is that the decision will be taken in Westminster where there should be any hard borders or not? Just to keep the wee bogey black men out and us Sweatys?

[emoji23][emoji23]well you put it better than I could pal!

If Scotland became independent then Westminster can put a hard border on Scotland if it likes I suppose.

Space Mackerel

[emoji23][emoji23]well you put it better than I could pal!

If Scotland became independent then Westminster can put a hard border on Scotland if it likes I suppose.

These wee English folk dinnae like many people these days now :-/

Why can't everyone just accept the will of the British people is to leave the EU. Just like it was the will of the Scottish people to stay part of the Union?

jack D and coke

These wee English folk dinnae like many people these days now :-/

It's long been anti European and tbh so has Scotland. I'm unsure when exactly Scotland became this hugely pro-European country myself until the SNP started bashing people over the head about it. They were historically anti EU and have moved their goalposts a few times on a number of issues.

I've stopped caring too much about it all what will be will be.

Space Mackerel

It's long been anti European and tbh so has Scotland. I'm unsure when exactly Scotland became this hugely pro-European country myself until the SNP started bashing people over the head about it. They were historically anti EU and have moved their goalposts a few times on a number of issues.

I've stopped caring too much about it all what will be will be.

You're just making up any old gash now to support your nonsense. 

Brexit was no more than a pro vote by proxy for English Nationalism, the same nationalism up here you abhor. 

jack D and coke

You're just making up any old gash now to support your nonsense.

Brexit was no more than a pro vote by proxy for English Nationalism, the same nationalism up here you abhor.

I'm making up nonsense?? Not sure what part your alluding to but it's based on fact.

Yes, FACT.

Space Mackerel

I'm making up nonsense?? Not sure what part your alluding to but it's based on fact.

Yes, FACT.

Facts from the Daily Mail and The Express more likely.  :uhoh2:

jack D and coke

Facts from the Daily Mail and The Express more likely. :uhoh2:

Avid Mail and Express reader me :verysmug:

Why can't everyone just accept the will of the British people is to leave the EU. Just like it was the will of the Scottish people to stay part of the Union?

cause the wee bitter losers canny take it.

another similarity with the nationalists and their hated Westminster, neither willing to accept their losers.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to matter what the people think. It will be the ruling elite that decide. Same thing happening in Hungary. A sign of things to come.

Francis Albert

As is now usually the case with the Scotsman it is a pretty incoherent article with no obvious link between the headline and the rest. I can't see anything in there about voting intentions in an indyref2. It seems to be about opinions on whether and when an indyref2 should take place, which is a different issue.

Anyway as I believe the SNP want a 60% poll rating for independence continuously for at least two years before going for indyref2 it's a bit of an academic question at present.

Seems the SNP has changed its mind and is planning to go for broke with an Indy2ref before Brexit. That's a suicide pill that will kill Scottish independence in my life time. 

Space Mackerel

Looks like that 1in 10 has swung it to a 55% in favour as someone mentioned in another thread.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/politics/referendum/independence-referendum-guide/1054342/new-poll-shows-55-support-independence-referendum-tories-pursue-hard-brexit/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Francis Albert

Looks like that 1in 10 has swung it to a 55% in favour as someone mentioned in another thread.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/politics/referendum/independence-referendum-guide/1054342/new-poll-shows-55-support-independence-referendum-tories-pursue-hard-brexit/

It's the same story as in the Scotsman and isn't about support for Scottish independence but for holding another referendum. I'd like to see some polls showing a healthy lead in favour of independence itself. I may have missed them, but I haven't to date seen any.

It is also nonsense and simplistic sloganizing to say only "right wing Tories" want a so-called "hard Brexit". That is what the majority voted for, including many Labour (and SNP) supporters. The moaning remainers have invented this "soft Brexit" option post-referendum. I doubt if many if any Leavers voted for maintaining all the EU rules, just minus the right to vote and participate in their creation, and there certainly wasn't a case made for it during the referendum campaign.

If Scotland eventually votes for independence, I wonder how the SNP will react if people argue for a "soft Sexit" where Scotland accepts Westminister legislation, without the right to have Westminster MPs.

Space Mackerel

It's the same story as in the Scotsman and isn't about support for Scottish independence but for holding another referendum. I'd like to see some polls showing a healthy lead in favour of independence itself. I may have missed them, but I haven't to date.

Granted, I just read the headline and misread it.

I for one are quite happy to wait it out. I've been a supporter of independence since I helped the old man sell the party paper locally when I was a kid.

Because the right-on champions of democracy in this country don't like it being used against their position?

Two decisions have been made. It's time Sturgeon accepted it and shut the **** up.

Because the right-on champions of democracy in this country don't like it being used against their position?

Two decisions have been made. It's time Sturgeon accepted it and shut the **** up.

She will do nothing but delay until such time as the polls show 60% in favour of Indy. It's going to be a long long wait, during which time the Country will suffer further.

Thunderstruck

She will do nothing but delay until such time as the polls show 60% in favour of Indy. It's going to be a long long wait, during which time the Country will suffer further.

Correct. Anyone who thinks she will put her nice wee job on the line by risking another defeat needs to seek help.

I thought the upshot of this speech today was that IndyRef2 will happen before UK leaves the EU in 2019?

Francis Albert

It would be crazy for the SNP to go for a second referendum unless they are pretty sure of winning it. I mean we can't go on having indyRefs  (interspersed perhaps by Re-union Refs) every 4  or 5 years. TBH I think Scotland had its chance in 2014, but the next if lost will certainly kill the issue for generations.

If the country suffers in the meantime, it is what the country voted for and as yet it shows no real eagerness to overturn that decision.

Quicker we are out of the EU the better.

If you think our economy is unravelling thats nothing to what will happen in the EU.

As for nationalists wanting indy yet willing to surrender the sovereignty to the EU.

Beggars belief .

The EU has no respect for individual nations democratic will.

Space Mackerel

We will decide the timing of the next referendum, as long as we control the Scottish Parliament, the choice is ours. And you can take that to the bank.

Rudolf's Mate

We will decide the timing of the next referendum, as long as we control the Scottish Parliament, the choice is ours. And you can take that to the bank.

RBS?

Daydream Believer

Because things change.

We have a general election every 4 years and governments change as people change their position based on circumstances at that time.

Since the last indy ref there has been a massive change in the form of Brexit. Were it not for that another one wouldn't be on the cards. Equally the Scottish people gave a mandate for another one at the Scottish election. Without that it would obviously not be happening. There's nothing undemocratic about holding another referendum. Far from it.

So while I'm happy to keep my whining to a minimum about the way a Brexit vote went, people who don't want a 2nd indy ref should likewise accept that it's a legitimate part of the democratic process.

Correct. Anyone who thinks she will put her nice wee job on the line by risking another defeat needs to seek help.

Agreed.  Today's announcement is just to keep the fanatics happy.  Red meat indeed.

2014 was the best chance and it's now gone.

What bank? The one that will print the new Scottish pound.....euro.....what?

Space Mackerel

Agreed. Today's announcement is just to keep the fanatics happy. Red meat indeed.

2014 was the best chance and it's now gone.

Keep taking the anti delusional pills, next one is at a time of our choosing when it's a definite Yes.

Space Mackerel

What bank? The one that will print the new Scottish pound.....euro.....what?

Won't be the ? [emoji23] That's went to shite!!

Won't be the ? [emoji23] That's went to shite!!

You can't tell what currency Scotland will use, you can't tell when the ref2 will be........very well thought out, now away and watch Braveheart again......and again......and again......and.......

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Any excuse from the SNP.

The warnings about Brexit (which I voted against) were pretty much the same as the warnings about Scottish independence - economic consequences, potential job losses etc. I don't really see how you can be opposed to one but supportive of the other.

Space Mackerel

You can't tell what currency Scotland will use, you can't tell when the ref2 will be........very well thought out, now away and watch Braveheart again......and again......and again......and.......

Only watched it the once pal.

So, as we have ascertained in a previous thread, you don't live in Scotland anyways. Why get so upset about it all?

Space Mackerel

Any excuse from the SNP.

The warnings about Brexit (which I voted against) were pretty much the same as the warnings about Scottish independence - economic consequences, potential job losses etc. I don't really see how you can be opposed to one but supportive of the other.

Maybe because Brexit sets out a vision of this bygone era that existed at the height of the British Empire, or, Scotland sees itself as an outward internationally minded new modern country. Just a thought.

Space Mackerel

Well answer the questions then.

2 years time, Swedish Crowns [emoji53]

2 years time, Swedish Crowns [emoji53]

Seriously, when & what currency?

Archived