Scotland's Game

Maroon Sailor

Maroon Sailor

Weakest of the programmes I thought. Plenty of problems but no solutions from the coaches

Think that might be next weeks programme

We've been hearing about solutions and way forwards ever since that debacle in 1993 when Portugal humped Scotland 5-0 in a World Cup qualifier.

Roxburgh and Brown killed the flair in the Scotland team and it's been a pish watch since the 80's.

• Replies 695
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That ref for the Italy game was utterly transparent; the ref for the 2 - 2 Czech game was about the same

Wasn't fletcher's goal from a corner or a very narrow angle? Seem to remember that the claim was that it went over the bye-line, back in then blew into the net

The cross was from a fairly deep position, was a fine headed finish and wasn't within a yard of being out. Maybe Sunday's poor refereeing display in our favour has marked a change in fortune? We'll see...

Hunger is missing nowadays. We are not breeding winners as the in thinking at schools and boys football is that there are no losers and more importantly no winners. School sports days. All get a badge/medal nowadays regardless of whether first or laSt. In my opinion that's a nonsense. Same with boys football. If a team are say 8 nil up take a player off them to even things up. Nonsense. It doesn't happen in adult football do why in children's? In all sport there are winners and there are losers. With our attitude of taken away the competitiveness we are breeding losers and this is what has to change. I got some hammerings playing for the school and boys club. What did it mean for me personally? Determined to do better the next time. 9 times out of 10 I did. Never dreamed of packing it in because I got beat. I wanted to win.

Small point, John: I don't know much about school sports teams, and I am not doubting you, but I would say that sports day at my kids' school is really just a fun day out for the kids and parents. Not everyone gets a badge/medal, but they can earn house points or whatever.

Carl Fredrickson

Re the points about the future. Having recently been involved in youth football I would say the coaching now is far, far better than it was when I was growing up in the 70s and 80s. The coaching I was involved with was all about ball work and even the fitness stuff involved footballs. 

Somebody on the show last night (Murdo?) said that the Scottish teams of old had players who were heroes to all the kids growing up but not now. I think they were right. Some of my earliest football memories are of Donald Ford and Jim Cruickshamk and indeed Cruicky inspired me to play in goals for more than half my life.

Nowadays there is no-one I would class as a hero. Probably Rudi was the last one but do the younger generations look up to Scottish players as heroes or are they suffering as a result of the SKY generation whereby Bale, Messi etc are the heroes?

Back to the youth football and of the 40 odd that turned up for training, more than half would be wearing Real or Barcelona strips. Not my boy though, only Hearts strips for him.

Anyway, I have went off on a bit of a tangent and I hope next weeks show tries and looks at solutions.

I really enjoyed listening to Souness last night and it pains me to say it but guys like him should be involved with our youngsters - as he has been there and achieved so much in the game. That experience shouldnt go to waste.

Roxburgh and Brown were SFA men who were never managers. They started the rot with their school teacher attitude to the players. With the players at their disposal we underperformed big-time and the we went from bad to worse with Vogts.

Instead we appointed people like Burley and Levein who were well out their depth and nobody respected them.

As a manager like Burley and Levein they shouldn't take any crap from bigtime charlies. Respect goes with fear. Mess me about and i'll kick your arse out of the team forever. And the whole world will know why.

As manager we can get on great and have a fab time mess me about and you will suffer. Very simple managing players. Never suffer from arseholes even if they think they are gods.

Ricardo Quaresma

The cross was from a fairly deep position, was a fine headed finish and wasn't within a yard of being out. Maybe Sunday's poor refereeing display in our favour has marked a change in fortune? We'll see...

Cheers; remember on the match thread on here, put a bet on both Fletchers to score next & was bumped by that decision :seething:

Roxburgh and Brown were SFA men who were never managers. They started the rot with their school teacher attitude to the players. With the players at their disposal we underperformed big-time and the we went from bad to worse with Vogts.

We qualified for 4 of the 5 major finals during the 90's, our most successful decade in terms of qualifying.

Small point, John: I don't know much about school sports teams, and I am not doubting you, but I would say that sports day at my kids' school is really just a fun day out for the kids and parents. Not everyone gets a badge/medal, but they can earn house points or whatever.

That's my point. Don't call it sports day. Call it fun day.

Brown gets a harsh amount of criticism, he does deserve some for sticking with certain players for far too long but based on qualifications etc and actual results he's probably one of the modest successful Scotland managers ever and the players he had at his disposal were completely mediocre compared to previous generations who achieved just as little if not less.

Would even go as far to say John Collins aside our current squad isn't a whole lot worse than the team that qualified for Euro 96. It might have had 'premiership' players but there isn't a hope in hell the likes of Spencer, Whyte, Gemmill and McKinley would be at that level in the modern era.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Scotland are much better when not polluted by Celtic and Rangers. Poison that kills the league and national side

Dagger Is Back

Just watched it. That free kick decision against Italy. WTAF? And McLeish had a phone call the week before? Should surely have raised the issue before now?

Maroon Sailor

Just watched it. That free kick decision against Italy. WTAF? And McLeish had a phone call the week before? Should surely have raised the issue before now?

No mention of it here but he did say he expected the 50/50's to go to Italy. The foul on Hutton was 100/0 though !

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/7092597.stm

As for McFadden's prediction ........

Paul Mitchell's "James McFadden scores the best goal he's scored for his country" seems an ever more miserable example of a commentator failing to do justice to the occasion.

Salmond just stopped short of saying Stein was ahead of his time because he knew deep down that independence was the answer and the annual Scotland-England matches got in the way of this.

:spoton:

Rudi-Robertson

I've definitely heard that before. I can't mind where, it could have been an interview with Chic Young when he done a series of interviews with all the current living managers

And remember this is the mute broono who sat all night with fergie and mcgreggs while they drank alcohol when broono sat there sipping water like an overawed teenager watching guys who's balls had dropped but he wished his own balls would actually defy gravity.......

Geoff Kilpatrick

And remember this is the mute broono who sat all night with fergie and mcgreggs while they drank alcohol when broono sat there sipping water like an overawed teenager watching guys who's balls had dropped but he wished his own balls would actually defy gravity.......

Yes, because not drinking alcohol makes you a lesser manager. :rolleyes:

Craig Brown was a mediocre manager (his poor man's Ryan Giggs comment still rankles with me) but his drinking prowess has bugger all to do with that.

I don't believe Broonaldo for one second either. Just as pished as wee bazza and greegsie nap.

Levein, 4-6-0, playing for a draw, hummm!

It's no wonder he hasn't won anything with that mentality, he should have been emptied that night.

i wish jj was my dad

Levein, 4-6-0, playing for a draw, hummm!

I'll never be convinced that you can set up without an out ball up front but I'd be more inclined to empty a manager who played for a draw against Georgia than one who played for a draw against the Czechs

I'm in total agreement that the 4-6-0 idea was a shambles the way it was planned and how it played out. However, Levein's worst for me was Macedonia at home (1-1), although again his team was behind to an offside goal. I remember spending all of the second half on my phone wishing I was somewhere, anywhere, but Hampden. Didn't use my season ticket for any other game that campaign and haven't been back since for a home game.

Leveins reign was really bad to watch, the Liechtenstein game at home where it took a 94th minute header from a corner to win aswell, Kris boyd standing still up front all night. Absolutely brutal.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Leveins reign was really bad to watch, the Liechtenstein game at home where it took a 94th minute header from a corner to win aswell, Kris boyd standing still up front all night. Absolutely brutal.

I was more embarrassed for Richard Gordon doing a Gary Neville on the commentary for that goal, which BBC Radio Scotland put onto the podcast. :laugh:

Seymour M Hersh

Yes, because not drinking alcohol makes you a lesser manager. :rolleyes:

Craig Brown was a mediocre manager (his poor man's Ryan Giggs comment still rankles with me) but his drinking prowess has bugger all to do with that.

You praising him way too highly there.

I was more embarrassed for Richard Gordon doing a Gary Neville on the commentary for that goal, which BBC Radio Scotland put onto the podcast. :laugh:

Grim, I'm sure there's a video of alan mcinally celebrating the goal on sky sports like it was the goal to send us to the finals :lol: i was there and i don't think i evem clapped, so so bad.

At least Levein was honest that he had no intention of going for a win in the Czech Republic. Pity he didn't say so before they got on the plane. It would have saved the Tartan Army forking out for flights, hotels and tickets and save a lot of us from tuning in.

Levein being Levein will not admit that he got it wrong though and says he would do it again but with 2 recognised strikers but play them in a deeper role.

How stupid does he think football fans are - we'd see straight through that FFS !

That guy has a problem admitting he makes mistakes !

Final part tonight

Just saw a snippet of tonight's show - Craig Brown bumping his gums about trying to sell to Scottish clubs Gerard Houllier's rule that no club in the French top flight could sign more than 20 players over the age of 21 saying Monaco brought in two 17 year olds in Henry and Trezeguet and were in the National team 2 years later.

Goes on to say that Celtic and Rangers voted against the proposal and it was never instigated.

That in a nutshell tells you everything wrong with the game up here.

Jambo dans les Pyrenees

Final part tonight

Just saw a snippet of tonight's show - Craig Brown bumping his gums about trying to sell to Scottish clubs Gerard Houllier's rule that no club in the French top flight could sign more than 20 players over the age of 21 saying Monaco brought in two 17 year olds in Henry and Trezeguet and were in the National team 2 years later.

Did Craig keep a straight face when talking about giving youth a chance?  

Did Craig keep a straight face when talking about giving youth a chance?

He probably checked if Albert Tatlock had a Scottish grandad

All this talk about grass roots coaching, youth development.

There seems to be no such thing as a natural born footballer now

Watching Collins deserting Hibs.......   We always seemed to qualify under Andy Roxburgh.....

Deserting lazy, egotistical gobshites

Final part tonight

Goes on to say that Celtic and Rangers voted against the proposal and it was never instigated.

That in a nutshell tells you everything wrong with the game up here.

just watched that on the programme, just goes to show that the Old Firm truly are the cancer of Scottish Football

All this talk about fixing our grass roots game.

Same talk that's been spouted since about 2002 and **** all has changed.

The best suggestion is to get young lads in if their good enough regardless of age to give them a chance. To make sure teams must play a certain amount of youth.

Why hasn't the policy been changed?

Because giving young lads a chance puts the OF at a disadvantage in Europe.

Aye it could of been 10-0 instead of 7-0.

just watched that on the programme, just goes to show that the Old Firm truly are the cancer of Scottish Football

Set the game back even further with their short sightedness due to feathering their own nests.

Such a shame that they finance the game in Scotland due to religious persuasions and sucking all the blockheads in form other parts of the country where there are professional clubs.

Jeezo Dempster looks in some state

Thought it was Jonathan Woodgate until her name came up on the screen

Common sense shown by our former captain

Simply put we need to produce more and more importantly better players.

Better facilities, giving children the chances to play and learn for free (or very cheaply),coaches of a good standard and football first not clubs first mantra

Start in the schools, boys clubs (or girls) etc, and give them the resources required to not only play but also improve their health as they do so.

Like it or not Money is the key along with working smarter with what we have

It's been a very good series of documentaries to be fair. Plenty lessons to be learned.

Will we learn? Doubt it. 

That programme tonight highlighted the fact that we need people like Ann and Dempster running, or having a greater say, in the game. Not OF-loving twonks like Doncaster and Regan who take a huge salary and contribute **** all.

Common sense shown by our former captain

Simply put we need to produce more and more importantly better players.

Better facilities, giving children the chances to play and learn for free (or very cheaply),coaches of a good standard and football first not clubs first mantra

Start in the schools, boys clubs (or girls) etc, and give them the resources required to not only play but also improve their health as they do so.

Like it or not Money is the key along with working smarter with what we have

They've been spouting the same pish about grass roots for the last 30 years.

Nothing has changed for the better.

Scotland don't qualify for finals and no other clubs outwith Celtic and Rangers win the league.

The game is not allowed to develop because of these two dictating things.

Too much power

Archived