Maroon Sailor

Maroon Sailor

4-6-0 will forever be associated with Levein

At least he's honest and said the idea was to play for a draw

• Replies 695
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is incredible :rofl:

Our games so rotten to the core over the last 10 years our national team makes the Romanov years at Hearts look tame.

Bertie was on a hiding to nothing as Brown left an ageing squad and didnt blood many youngsters. Bertie cast his net far and wide with many players not good enough but he IIRC he gave the likes of Darren Fletcher their first cap

Yep absolutely, but programme silent on that

i wish jj was my dad

Yep absolutely, but programme silent on that

agreed. Auld broon kept that squad together 4 or 5 years too long

Jambof3tornado

Scotland v Italy

Referee was murder that night and I'm convinced he was bribed - a devastating loss. Hutton got taken out cleanly but the foul goes to Italy and the rest is history

Yup. A poor ref would have given nothing, a corrupt ref gave the foul to them allowing the goal to be scored.

Football is corrupt.

Paul Mitchell's "James McFadden scores the best goal he's scored for his country" seems an ever more miserable example of a commentator failing to do justice to the occasion.

Salmond just stopped short of saying Stein was ahead of his time because he knew deep down that independence was the answer and the annual Scotland-England matches got in the way of this.

Placid Casual

Bertie was on a hiding to nothing as Brown left an ageing squad and didnt blood many youngsters. Bertie cast his net far and wide with many players not good enough but he IIRC he gave the likes of Darren Fletcher their first cap

Good point. Also, the perennially useless SFA have been to blame.

After not qualifying for the second tournament in a row (in 2001) they should have acted. Many other countries (France, Germany and Belgium for instance) did so after poor campaigns ? increasing participation and investing in key areas.

Did Henry McLeish not produce recommendations that were basically ignored?

Agreed and looking at the state of the team Burley had to deal with is incredible.

Burley should have sacked half that entire squad and gone with whatever was left and whatever else he could scratch together.

He might have failed miserably but it would have outed the players for what they are/were.

It certainly brought to light the toxicity of the OF getting the lions share of the squad places.

Seymour M Hersh

Good point. Also, the perennially useless SFA have been to blame.

After not qualifying for the second tournament in a row (in 2001) they should have acted. Many other countries ? France, Germany and Belgium for instance ? did so after poor campaigns.

Did Henry McLeish not produce recommendations that were basically ignored?

Quite why they decided a failed politician with dirty laundry was the right person to bring the game up to speed is anyones guess. 

Maroon Sailor

That Scotland 1990 kit is a thing of beauty.

Prefer 78, 82 and 86 to it, especially 78, the most iconic Scotland shirt ever

i wish jj was my dad

That Scotland 1990 kit is a thing of beauty.

I loved it. Very much of its time though

i wish jj was my dad

Agreed and looking at the state of the team Burley had to deal with is incredible.

Interesting comments from Elvis and pat butcher. I got the impression at the time that they were raging and there was more to it than was reported. Barry armband brought seems a toxic prick

Burley should have sacked half that entire squad and gone with whatever was left and whatever else he could scratch together.

He might have failed miserably but it would have outed the players for what they are/were.

It certainly brought to light the toxicity of the OF getting the lions share of the squad places.

He also gave Craig Gordon and McFadden (possibly?) their introductions. Including Fletcher, three guys who at least gave us hope. To a lesser extent, he capped Webster as well as a 19/20 year old. These guys would not have been capped so early under Brown.

I've always defended Berti on the basis his competitive match record stands up to scrutiny. We've had shockers like Moldova all through history and he was the SECOND manager to draw with the Faroe Islands. Right after he was punted, Walter the saviour dropped Craig Gordon for Italy and lost to Belarus at home shortly after that. Don't think Berti lost a home competitive game until Norway (his last), including a draw against Germany and a playoff victory over Holland? Bad start to campaign 2 did for him and the ongoing media witch hunt proved successful.

Ricardo Quaresma

Only caught a bit of it; anyone know how long before it's available?

They state shortly after broadcast

Placid Casual

What a pair of ignorant shits Ferguson and McGregor were with their Primary 1 gestures and childish smirks.

Watching that tonight made we want to lamp them both.

Cringing watching that again. A right couple of arseholes...

Berti got the ultimate hospital pass from Craig Brown who spent years capping the same players and left no legacy. Hence we were reduced to playing at times with Steve Crawford and Steven Thompson up front.

Maroon Sailor

What a pair of ignorant shits Ferguson and McGregor were with their Primary 1 gestures and childish smirks.

Watching that tonight made we want to lamp them both.

If the clip ran longer it would have shown Berra laughing at it

If Berti was given enough time we would not be in the mess we are in today. He blooded youngsters and got slaughtered for it

If Berti was given enough time we would not be in the mess we are in today. He blooded youngsters and got slaughtered for it

Bring in foreign manager to try and change our style and modernise our national set up in order to breathe new life into it.

Run them out of town on a rail for trying.

He wasn't a success but I always got the feeling he wasn't meant to be. Thrown to the wolves in order to prove the dinosaurs right in the eyes of the nation. Keeping said dinosaurs in their positions of power. Behold the next appointment is Walter 'jobs for the boys' Smith.

Felt sorry for Vogts. OK, he capped ALOT of players, but I think he had to. Get the feeling from what Burley said about big personalities in the squad that he wants to say more on the subject.

Fair play to CL for saying he provided the stick for which he was beaten with.

Good programme again.

Looking back at the Vogts era is painful. I wanted him to go at the time, but that was because we were all so used to Scotland qualifying for tournaments (1990, 1992, 1996, 1998). In retrospect he was dealt a horrible hand and deserved to be given more time. He certainly wasn't afraid to cap young players and started a number of excellent careers.

Disappointed in tonight's edition. Simply a run through the last 30 years of Scotland's managers - no insight, no analysis, no examination of the routinely ignored reports (Walker, McLeish), in fact nothing to provoke debate. Maybe that comes next week.

Samuel Camazzola

They never showed his "Christian" comment after Dailly out of shot called our opponents ******g cheating c@nts.

Was that Germany ?

Yeah, it was Germany. Neil McCann was harshly sent off which led to Dailly's outburst.

Disappointed in tonight's edition. Simply a run through the last 30 years of Scotland's managers - no insight, no analysis, no examination of the routinely ignored reports (Walker, McLeish), in fact nothing to provoke debate. Maybe that comes next week.

Beyond the nostalgia i think it's been a poor series that has left more questions than answers.

This.

We_are_the_Hearts

Our last win at a World Cup finals with big Craigy and Disco Dave keeping Brolin and Ekstrom quiet. That was after Craigs injuries, what a player he could have been!

We_are_the_Hearts

Yeah, it was Germany. Neil McCann was harshly sent off which led to Dailly's outburst.

It was Maurice Ross was it not?

We_are_the_Hearts

We need to go down the Vogts road again. A strong character with no OF ties who is given time to look at the big picture and develop a structure for the long term. We are just stumbling from one campaign to the next with no vision for the future. Strachan is only thinking about his record and how he is perceived IMO. Gordon Greer in a friendly a prime example

Agreed. Each of the managers, or someone at least giving an opinion on their behalf, could easily have had a 20 minute segment to tell their stories. For instance, Berti making the playoffs and his side of the David Weir story, where Weir behaved like a spoilt brat when told he'd played shite, which he had! Christian Dailly at least had the strength to take the criticism on the chin.

Walter fecked off as soon as Rangers batted their eyelids, so feck him and his story. He got such an easy ride anyway, why would he claim any ill fortune? McLeish was at leat allowed to discuss his bad luck and told an interesting story about the Italian press. Although it has been mentioned we were very fortunate with our equaliser against Italy being allowed to stand.

Despite all his well known problems, George Burley was a win away from the playoffs and only a Scott Brown open goal and a Kenny Miller sitter prevented us from taking the lead against a Netherlands side who had already qualified and didn't care. They cared enough, though, to accept David Weir's gift and beat us 1-0.

Craig Levein was also not without the problems highlighted on the programme (the fallout of 4-6-0) but he was arguably the victim of the poorest decisions of all by officials. Steven Fletcher's header in Cardiff that would have made it 2-0 and that outrageous dive by the Czech Republic forward which resulted in their equaliser, again denying us a playoff spot.

The meejia now have the man they want and despite the fact he's the first guy ever to lead us to a fourth place finish in a qualifying group he continues to get a far easier ride than any of his recent predecessors (apart from the ones with Rangers connections, of course). Nowt as queer as folk, eh, especially Scottish, Glasgow based journalists!

Doesn't matter who the manager is if we don't have the players.    We just haven't produced any great players for over 20 years now.  All it takes is one or two to lift things a la Bale or Ronaldo with a very ordinary Portugal team.   Until then the manager can only p*ss with the c**k he has.

Maroon Sailor

Doesn't matter who the manager is if we don't have the players.    We just haven't produced any great players for over 20 years now.  All it takes is one or two to lift things a la Bale or Ronaldo with a very ordinary Portugal team.   Until then the manager can only p*ss with the c**k he has.

Players attitudes towards the national team have to change as well.

Some of them were far too precious and showed a lack of respect for certain managers.

You have to have someone in who commands that air of respect and authority.

A Jock Stein type figure

We_are_the_Hearts

Greece would never have won the Euros with that attitude

Players attitudes towards the national team have to change as well.

Some of them were far too precious and showed a lack of respect for certain managers.

You have to have someone in who commands that air of respect and authority.

A Jock Stein type figure

Instead we appointed people like Burley and Levein who were well out their depth and nobody respected them.

Did Pressley say that the rangers players did not like his celtic connection? Do these mugs not realise that celtic and rangers are the same entity that rely on each other for PR and exposure??

I am sure I heard that it used to be the same in England between Liverpool and Man Utd.

Oh, and Ferguson and McGregor should not have been allowed to remain with the squad after that nonsense. Putting them in the stand was a mistake.

Worthing Jambo

Not many Hearts fans down this neck of the woods but one was spotted in the second programme and I'm sure another one was in last nights.

Posts on here if I'm right.

Samuel Camazzola

It was Maurice Ross was it not?

Sounds right. Perhaps McCann scored and I got mixed up. I recall sending off being harsh.

Weakest of the programmes I thought. Plenty of problems but no solutions from the coaches

The problem with scottish people talking about the national side is alot of them are still people with something to lose. Their reputation in the game still counts for something whether it be at a managerial level or higher up.

Levein, Walter, Burley, Strachan, Eck etc all still have to be careful with what they say. Whether it bites them now or later.

Pressley came over the best because he doesn't give a shit anyway and he's not going to care if what he says offends or causes trouble.

I could tell Burley has alot more to say on that squad if he was allowed or in a position to just let loose and name and shame.

Ricardo Quaresma

That ref for the Italy game was utterly transparent; the ref for the 2 - 2 Czech game was about the same

Wasn't fletcher's goal from a corner or a very narrow angle? Seem to remember that the claim was that it went over the bye-line, back in then blew into the net

Hunger is missing nowadays. We are not breeding winners as the in thinking at schools and boys football is that there are no losers and more importantly no winners. School sports days. All get a badge/medal nowadays regardless of whether first or laSt. In my opinion that's a nonsense. Same with boys football. If a team are say 8 nil up take a player off them to even things up. Nonsense. It doesn't happen in adult football do why in children's? In all sport there are winners and there are losers. With our attitude of taken away the competitiveness we are breeding losers and this is what has to change. I got some hammerings playing for the school and boys club. What did it mean for me personally? Determined to do better the next time. 9 times out of 10 I did. Never dreamed of packing it in because I got beat. I wanted to win.

Archived