Hillsborough Verdict

Mikey1874

Even today the 'Sun' is one of only two newspapers not to carry this story on it's front page (the other is the Times).

The 'Sun' has a piece on page 8-9 I believe, the editorial says that they have already apologised, however I think the least they could have done was to issue another front page apology, today of all days.

The response of 'The Sun' today is just not good enough, especially after all the damage that paper did after the tragedy.

Exactly. I could be slightly wrong here but I believe at one point they offered to apologise IF the JFT96 group accepted a donation from them. They have never at ANY point acted with humility and grace.

EVERY single time they talk they refer to their 'already given' apology. Who, who is truly sorry in any event, actually does that? It's pathetic.

And the fact it doesn't make their front page just reinforces how childish and disgraceful they are about it. It's like they are the revealed playground bully who has a reaction of 'well if you hate me for wronging you, I hate you too'

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Jambo-Jimbo

• Dusk_Till_Dawn

• Boab

I'll be delighted if that's the end of it.. No more talk of minute silences, minute applause or any other forms of remembrance..

It's 27 years ago.. They have won their case.. They've had their apologies.. It's finally over except for the criminal proceedings which will be dealt with by the news..

Hopefully that's it..

I'll be delighted if that's the end of it.. No more talk of minute silences, minute applause or any other forms of remembrance..

It's 27 years ago.. They have won their case.. They've had their apologies.. It's finally over except for the criminal proceedings which will be dealt with by the news..

Hopefully that's it..

Get your armour on, here we go..............

Jambo-Jimbo

Exactly. I could be slightly wrong here but I believe at one point they offered to apologise IF the JFT96 group accepted a donation from them. They have never at ANY point acted with humility and grace.

EVERY single time they talk they refer to their 'already given' apology. Who, who is truly sorry in any event, actually does that? It's pathetic.

And the fact it doesn't make their front page just reinforces how childish and disgraceful they are about it. It's like they are the revealed playground bully who has a reaction of 'well if you hate me for wronging you, I hate you too'

The Times has now issued a statement saying that they 'Made a Mistake' not to feature the Hillsborough Inquest on the front page of it's first edition.

The second edition carried the story.

The Times has now issued a statement saying that they 'Made a Mistake' not to feature the Hillsborough Inquest on the front page of it's first edition.

The second edition carried the story.

:cornette: 200 year old newspaper 'forgets' to report colossal story from day before

They made a purposeful statement by doing it. Call me cynical!

:cornette: 200 year old newspaper 'forgets' to report colossal story from day before

They made a purposeful statement by doing it. Call me cynical!

If you're not cynical, you're not listening !

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Hopefully that's it..

You will have to carry on hoping I think.

It could have been any of us, the 70's and 80's were very much like that, particularly at semis, so many day trippers, tanked up and inadequate facilities, and police forces that really didn't care for football fans and vice versa I think it is very fair to say. The only surprise really is that it took until 1989 for it to manifest in the worst possible way.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Hopefully that's it..

There will always be remembrance in Liverpool. In Bradford they have a memorial service for the Valley Parade victims every year.

But I think now the disaster probably will start to slowly slip off the agenda. It's only been so prominent for so long because the truth was covered up for so long.

Sorry, please tell me what I have said that I should be 'embarrassed' of?

For a start how about the fact you missed the whole point regarding the monumental scale of corruption and culpability of those that blamed the fans, can you tell me another sporting event where this has occurred and where the level of cover up went upto and including the PM.

You failed to acknowledge for 27years families were told it was their childrens, fathers, sons, daughters fault for their own death, that they were animals, drunks and thieves and that the families refused to bow down to that opinion as there was no evidence of it. Perhaps you missed the sheer scale of indignity and contempt these families have had to endure to get their case heard and this is why for 27 years its been focused on, if this country had been run correctly it would have been acknowledged and dealt with immediately after the event.

Do you know that even now police officers refused to change their statements even after acknowledging that they doctored the evidence before giving it in the Taylor report.

Perhaps its a suggestion that you look into this abit more closely.

Perhaps you should just avoid the subject.......

Edited by Jamboelite

There will always be remembrance in Liverpool. In Bradford they have a memorial service for the Valley Parade victims every year.

But I think now the disaster probably will start to slowly slip off the agenda. It's only been so prominent for so long because the truth was covered up for so long.

My apologies.. My point was more for everyone else that aren't Liverpool fans.. I still expect Liverpool to have their minute silence once a year or whatever.. But for every other football team that will be it finished.. No more people asking if Hearts should be having a minute silence FFS..

Dusk_Till_Dawn

My apologies.. My point was more for everyone else that aren't Liverpool fans.. I still expect Liverpool to have their minute silence once a year or whatever.. But for every other football team that will be it finished.. No more people asking if Hearts should be having a minute silence FFS..

Can't remember - did Hearts have a minute's silence this year?

It was adequately addressed during the inquest though, and the area was found to have around 300 less supporters than tickets that had been sold.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/hillsborough-jury-told-consider-entrance-10808664

Folk still seem to think that there were some huge oversights in the process. It lasted two years. the jury were in possession of all the facts, and all the arguments. More than anyone on this thread will ever know.

Their decision was more informed than your opinion. That is the end of it.

I'm amazed that some people are coming on to a fans forum and questioning the findings of a jury.

If in a criminal trial an accused was found not guilty would people be allowed to post on this forum that they think the accused was guilty anyway ?

Heh are you really though?  If there's one thing we can all count on, it's that people have overinflated ideas of the worth of their opinions--and the less competent they are, the worse it actually is (the Dunning-Kruger effect).  That's simply human nature.  Accordingly, I wouldn't want to hold anybody legally responsible for that, either.

A number of things have and will come to light now. The Stadium build was wrong and the design engineers will have to answer questions. The opening of the gate was the catalyst to the tragic deaths, what factors made the officer open the gate allowing huge numbers of fans to surge into the central pen (always ask what if). On entering the ground on the other side of the gate the fans desperate to see the game were left on their own to decide where they were going.There was only 1 officer (visible) meeting them and he had no chance of shepherding the supports to the areas with sufficient room ie the other pens at that end. The attitude, culture and reasons that caused the senior police officers to set about fabricating a story deflecting from the actual events that had just taken place ( if you've stuffed up own up straight away, things will only get worse if you don't) You can add in the political elite into that question as well.

I feel that there will be prosecutions and it will be the officers who instigated the "cover up" who will be brought to book. I doubt the politicians involved will be prosecuted nor the engineers as it will be nigh on impossible to prove negligence.

The ambulance service on duty that day were very obviously not equipped to deal with such a tragic event of that magnitude, even today if such an event was to happen there is only ever 1 ambulance and maybe a dozen first aid people on duty. As for the two guys seen carrying the strecher and walking away from the panic it's highly likely they were oblivious to the severity of events that was unfolding behind them.

fabienleclerq

Anyone who is curious about this should go away, read David Conn's magnificent piece of journalism on it and if they're still questioning the Liverpool fans after that then they can only have an agenda.

This.

People still spouting shite about ticketless drunk fans are either trolling or ignorant.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

This.

People still spouting shite about ticketless drunk fans are either trolling or ignorant.

Emotive subject. Football crowds in the 80s were not clever though. Nor was the relationship between the police and fans.

The incident was a result of a large crowd. The crowd was anxious as any crowd would be. Quite often around that period in time there had been disturbance but that was not the case on the day in question but an assumption that will have stuck in many minds as it was reported at the time.

Clearly on this occasion there was a lack of crowd control that would have helped the crowd. I think once people understand the sequence of events it becomes clear.

Ignorance probably is the best description rather than malice. Given the entire nature of the event that has taken 27 year's and many attempts that should be less than surprising

Jambo-Jimbo

For a start how about the fact you missed the whole point regarding the monumental scale of corruption and culpability of those that blamed the fans, can you tell me another sporting event where this has occurred and where the level of cover up went upto and including the PM.

You failed to acknowledge for 27years families were told it was their childrens, fathers, sons, daughters fault for their own death, that they were animals, drunks and thieves and that the families refused to bow down to that opinion as there was no evidence of it. Perhaps you missed the sheer scale of indignity and contempt these families have had to endure to get their case heard and this is why for 27 years its been focused on, if this country had been run correctly it would have been acknowledged and dealt with immediately after the event.

Do you know that even now police officers refused to change their statements even after acknowledging that they doctored the evidence before giving it in the Taylor report.

Perhaps its a suggestion that you look into this abit more closely.

Perhaps you should just avoid the subject.......

The Father of one of the deceased said in an interview today that one of the Police officers had claimed years ago that there were 3 bodies found amongst all the other dead who had other people's wallets and or credit cards on them, in other words had stolen them.  There has never ever been any evidence to back up this claim and was pretty much discounted years ago.

This Police officer was asked at the inquest if he wanted to withdraw that claim, he refused to withdraw it, even although he could provide no evidence to back it up, this is the attitude of some of the Police involved in this case, it's almost as if it's 'we are the Police we are above the law'.

Something else has been shown over the last 27 years and by this inquest in particular, and that is the complete contempt that some members of the Police force, including some very senior officers have for the very law which they are supposed to uphold. 

If you have Police officers willing to lie to numerous inquires, investigations and court cases, often under oath and over such a long period of time, especially in such a high profile case, then just imagine what they could be capable of in cases where there isn't any media attention, that is an incredibly scary thought. 

This.

were there drunk fans in or outside the ground that day - of course there were, as per every big cup game I have ever been to.

Did fans without tickets get into the ground - highly likely as the gates were opened and no checks were carried out. 

Having said that, the blame lies at the feet of the police, or at least those in command on the day, plus the english FA who allowed a ground that was patently not fit for purpose, to be used. The bigger scandal is the cover up after the fact, which went all the way to the top of the police and the government.

CavySlaveJambo

In response to this and several other points, look at the text of Question 7: "Was there any behaviour on the part of football supporters which caused or contributed to the dangerous situation at the Leppings Lane turnstiles?". Nothing about the foreseeability of the consequences. Nothing about the crush inside the pens, just the situation that caused the police to open the gate. You may choose to believe that all these fans had tickets and none intended to force their way into the game without one. My knowledge and experience of having been born, brought up and actively supported football in Liverpool alongside such fans does not allow me such a generous view.

What about the opinion of the HSE, and Lord Justice Taylor?

As an irrelevant aside, I always remember exactly where I was that day when it happened like CollyWolly does. One thing I can never remember is the Hearts score from that day. I always have to look it up on London Hearts. I've no doubt I'll have to do the same next year.

Finally though JFT96. YNWA!

We lost 2-1. I had to look it up.

The Vulture

Also what is not mentioned was that there was a similar crush at Hillsboro when Spurs and Wolves played an FA Cup semi final there in 1981. Only difference that day was that there were no fences so fans could escape onto the pitch.

Happy for the Families that they finally got their justice. As said above it was unfortunately only a matter of time before such a disaster would happen because of the distrust between fans and police and ground infrastructure. 

People going on about ticketless fans/drunk fans etc should read the Taylor Report. 

RIP to the 96

I did not fail to recognise that fact. My point was about the minority who did not have tickets but wanted to get into the game anyway without any thought for the consequences.

I am sure I read somewhere in one of the judicial reports that only 124 ticketless fans were ever traced who were in the ground or around the ground

Even Lord Justice Taylor, discredited though part of his report now are, certainly specifically said that ticketless fans were not a contributory factor. Still those with a sickening agenda bring it up as if it were fact though.

They have apologised till they are blue in the face.  The people of Liverpool are just not interested or would it just be nice to hear? Would it actually have made any difference for another apology? I'm just not too sure.

As far as the Sun newspaper is concerned. Every single football fan in the country should have stopped buying it the minute they printed that vile story which they were warned not to go with. They were warned it wasn't verified. A couple of phone calls would have confirmed it was rubbish. They decided to print, probably knowing it was not true. It devastated people who were raw and emotional. It effected lives for the sake of selling their rag and even worse, it poisoned public opinion to the extent that some folk STILL blame Liverpool fans despite 3 enquiries and overwhelming evidence as to who was really to blame.

We football fans, country wide, should have buried that paper once and for all, and still should in my opinion.

Edited by CollyWolly

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Also what is not mentioned was that there was a similar crush at Hillsboro when Spurs and Wolves played an FA Cup semi final there in 1981. Only difference that day was that there were no fences so fans could escape onto the pitch.

Happy for the Families that they finally got their justice. As said above it was unfortunately only a matter of time before such a disaster would happen because of the distrust between fans and police and ground infrastructure.

People going on about ticketless fans/drunk fans etc should read the Taylor Report.

RIP to the 96

I'm sure I read this was used as evidence

Remnants of Standards

So are you saying that every fan who tried to get into the Leppings Lane end actually had a ticket? What are your credentials to back up your assertion that what I said was incorrect?

I've no doubt in your claim that Liverpool fans like any other club, would try to jib in.

However this "tactic" has been painted as only occuring to scousers and no-one else surprise surprise.

However if it was common knowledge among locals like yourself and fans in general, then why didn't the police set up a simple filter system to keep fans away from the turnstiles?

There's a lot of different aspects to this. Some haven't be so publicised.

So expect more to come.

One aspect was the fans who witnessed it, not allowed to leave ground till about 4.30pm. Some had the sight of dead bodies laid in front of them when they had just come to watch a footbal match. One of the papers published a letter from one of these fans saying they've been traumatised since and mentioned that compensation was linited to families of bereaved.

Jambo-Jimbo

Breaking News

The Chief Constable of South Yorkshire Police David Crompton has been suspended.

Sky News reporting.

Салатные палочки

There's a lot of different aspects to this. Some haven't be so publicised.

So expect more to come.

One aspect was the fans who witnessed it, not allowed to leave ground till about 4.30pm. Some had the sight of dead bodies laid in front of them when they had just come to watch a footbal match. One of the papers published a letter from one of these fans saying they've been traumatised since and mentioned that compensation was linited to families of bereaved.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure I read once a Forest fan committed suicide because he couldn't live with the sights he saw that day.  Said that the Liverpool fans laid the bodies out at that end of the field as it was closer to the gates where the emergency vehicles came in.  Some thought they were injured but it became clear soon that they were dead.  

Can't begin to imagine how horrific that was.  

Rudolf's Mate

Breaking News

The Chief Constable of South Yorkshire Police David Crompton has been suspended.

Sky News reporting.

Just reading this now. I thought it was due to his involvement in it however on reading it's coming across as though the force have sacked him because he apologised :wow: If I've read it correctly.

He certainly apologised recently even yesterday but the suspension will relate to historical conduct by Crompton.

So here's some fall out already.

Police it seems were criticised for still being "in denial" during their evidence at the inquests and to minimise their responsibility.

That's what is being reported on this suspension.

Jambo-Jimbo

I think his suspension is more in relation to his conduct during the inquest.

More to come out about this in due course, so one report has said.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

Whitburn Hearts

Many have opinions which are based on not being fully engaged in this tragedy.

I ask you all just for a minute to just consider this scenario -

* Hearts were playing a SC semi final at old Hampden.

* A similar disaster unfolded and 96 Hearts fans lost their lives.

* One of them was your father, brother or son.

Whitburn Hearts

Many have opinions which are based on not being fully engaged in this tragedy.

I ask you all just for a minute to just consider this scenario -

* Hearts were playing a SC semi final at old Hampden.

* A similar disaster unfolded and 96 Hearts fans lost their lives.

* One of them was your father, brother or son.

Just reading this now. I thought it was due to his involvement in it however on reading it's coming across as though the force have sacked him because he apologised :wow: If I've read it correctly.

I've read the report on the BBC and I don't think it's clear why he suspended. Can anyone shed any light?

Bindy Badgy

I've read the report on the BBC and I don't think it's clear why he suspended. Can anyone shed any light?

Interview on the BBC site refers to "criticism" of him and "the erosion of public trust". Doesn't really give much details though. It'll come out in more detail soon enough.

Edited by Stokesy

Rudolf's Mate

I might he wrong but I read it as by him admitting SY Police made errors, they claim it effectively meant there could only be one outcome with the findings.

I think - think - it is because of the stance the police force took during the inquest insofar as inspite of all the evidence to the contrary and the findings from the 2012 inquest, police officers still stuck to their original stories about fans being to blame. Yes he unequivocally apologised yesterday but he knew the evidence his officers were giving was untrue and therefore that apology was somewhat tainted. Yes that apology couldnt have been submitted as evidence so as not to be prejudicial but with power comes responsibility and ultimately as the top man at incredibly discredited force. it was inevitable that he would go. 

I accept that this part of the affair is not necessarily black and white but I think for many reasons, not least as part of a restoration of public faith into SYP, the suspension and the highly lilkey eventuality that he wont be back in post before he retires in November, is the right course of action.

I dont believe in witchhunts but looking at this case i believe that given a choice between him staying or going, the best thing is for him to go.

Just the opinion of someone who doesnt always know what he is talking about!

Jambo-Jimbo

I think - think - it is because of the stance the police force took during the inquest insofar as inspite of all the evidence to the contrary and the findings from the 2012 inquest, police officers still stuck to their original stories about fans being to blame. Yes he unequivocally apologised yesterday but he knew the evidence his officers were giving was untrue and therefore that apology was somewhat tainted. Yes that apology couldnt have been submitted as evidence so as not to be prejudicial but with power comes responsibility and ultimately as the top man at incredibly discredited force. it was inevitable that he would go. 

I accept that this part of the affair is not necessarily black and white but I think for many reasons, not least as part of a restoration of public faith into SYP, the suspension and the highly lilkey eventuality that he wont be back in post before he retires in November, is the right course of action.

I dont believe in witchhunts but looking at this case i believe that given a choice between him staying or going, the best thing is for him to go.

Just the opinion of someone who doesnt always know what he is talking about!

This is pretty much my take on this as well.

There is more to come out over the next few days, so I believe.

There is questions being asked why South Yorkshire Police spent millions of pounds of tax payers money defending this case, a case they knew they could never win.

Jambo-Jimbo

A lawyer who is representing some of the families has just said on Sky News that one of the reasons why David Crompton was suspended was because of this.

Over two years ago he issued a profuse apology, admitting that the Police had lied etc etc etc, then once the inquest started effectively withdrew the apology and proceeded to vigorously defend the case and all the lies about the supporters came out once again, then yesterday after the inquest verdict he once again stood in front of the camera's and apologised.

The man says one thing to the camera's but does the opposite away from the camera's.   

A lawyer who is representing some of the families has just said on Sky News that one of the reasons why David Crompton was suspended was because of this.

Over two years ago he issued a profuse apology, admitting that the Police had lied etc etc etc, then once the inquest started effectively withdrew the apology and proceeded to vigorously defend the case and all the lies about the supporters came out once again, then yesterday after the inquest verdict he once again stood in front of the camera's and apologised.

The man says one thing to the camera's but does the opposite away from the camera's.   

So does that mean what I wrote was right?! On the one hand you can see he might feel a duty to ensure his officers need to be given the right to a fair trial and defend themselves but on the other they are lying b@stards who could have saved millions in public finances and, more important, the families from having to endure more pain and suffering but saying admitting at the start what they had admitted before. As you say they must have known this result was inevitable so what was the best they were hoping for - two years more salary and pension contributions?

A man of honour would have resigned on principle not be suspended on full-pay ahead of early retiral on presumably a lucrative pension.

The Chief Constable has been suspended for  his actions after the findings of the independant enquiry.He came out and apologised to the the families then e-mailed his staff to get their stories together ,stick by them or else theyd (SYP) be "roadkill"

Edited by systemx

gashauskis9

Apologies for the ramble but I sometimes use this forum as a cathartic release - feel free to disagree although this is more just a personal reflection rather than trying to enter into a debate.

Like many football fans Hillsborough is a subject that provokes intense emotions for me. I think it because for many, myself included, I could in some small way identify with what happened on that horrific day as, unlike other disasters, there was a feeling of 'there but for the grace of God'. I cried last night, as I cry almost everytime I hear details about Hillsborough.

I dont know how soon I knew - in almost a six-sense way - that these fans were unlawfully killed but it was pretty early on and despite of all the early 'evidence'. All the football fans I know, from different clubs, and with whom Ive spoken to seemed to know as well - if this disaster was caused by anyone, the most likely to be behind it were the police because of the evidence based on our own experiences.

When I started going to football in the mid-80s there is no doubt football fans as a collective were treated as 'animals' purely based on the actions of a proportionate minority. We were herded and coralled. You stood surrounded by dirt and litter. There was, at times, a fear of being 'attacked' by the other 'animals' in different pens. You were not allowed to speak to police officers - any enquiry or suggestion things werent right were met with the threat of arrest. We put up with conditions that were, at times, frightening - possibly because that was part of the 'thrill' and also because you knew no better and there was no-one you could really complain to. On more than one occasion I experienced having the air squeezed out of me and pressure on limbs becoming increasingly painful.

Im 40 and am conscious Im now starting to become the 40-year-olds I laughed at when I was 15-25 BUT on this one occasion I feel no shame in simply saying - if you werent there you have no comprehension as to what it was like. Football has fundamentally changed since and because of Hillsborough. Standing on any crumbling terracing unable to move properly, swaying and, if you were unlucky, being pinned against the barriers, whilst all the time literally being caged in was thrilling but probably only the same way white-knuckle rides are thrilling - because they are based on danger.

Forums are obviously based on differences of opinion but this is the first thread where I have truly found some posts abhorrent. Never mind being ashamed to support the same team as some - Im ashamed to share the same planet. Everyone has a right to an opinion but in a civilised society we should also be able to accept there are times when that opinion is going to touch people's emotions in a way that goes way beyond upsetting them because you think Neilson should be sacked or Alexander replaced.

The evidence is overwhelming and, as some excellent posters have pointed out, it is based on three facts which are irrefutable and which there is no basis for debate other than by those whose motives are questionable. Firstly - no matter what the behaviour of Liverpool fans on the day was (and there is nothing but allegations it was anything other than acceptable) the evidence from three (?) independent sources who poured over evidence instead of simply speaking to some bloke in a pub or taking a press release from an agency in Sheffield was that the fans DID NOTHING to contribute to the disaster. The Liverpool fans DID NOTHING to contribute to the disaster.

Secondly, like most disasters, there was a collection of mistakes made by infallible humans, none of which were 'malicious' but which nevertheless were mistakes which could have been avoided and which if they had been avoided 96 people wouldnt have died on that day.

Thirdly - and like others this is the point that makes me the most angry - was there was a conspiracy not just to cover up mistakes (which is understandable up to a point) but to cover up in such a way as to blame others. That is disgusting, criminal and I hope that none of those who contributed to it - and like many conspiracies - there are many, live every single day of their lives in torment over what they did. Hopefully for some in a prison cell.

I also hope the Sun and the Times - hated before today - suffer a slow death and the vile people who have caused untold misery (for years at those papers) are forced to retrain into jobs which might actually repay their debt to society.

Simply :spoton:

JudyJudyJudy

Hopefully that's it..

Hideous post.

There is no time limit to a persons feelings of grief . The families also have a right to honour and remember their loved ones as long as they wish.

If you cant empathise for those families i pity you.  

I'm sure I read this was used as evidence

Am sure they were studied in detail regarding how/if that informed the planning for 89.

Hate to pander to the ticketless fan posters, but the previous incidents had ticket screening away from the ground itself so these occurred solely with the number of fans with tickets. Was simply a deathtrap design.

A small aside, was a teenager when it happened and felt everything others have talked about seeing the reports etc.

Later watched a Wednesday game in the same stand in the late 90s. Eerie going there know what happened that day. No fences then but it was frightening discover how shallow that bit of the stand is. With the pen system in place you could well imagine they had no chance.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Bindy Badgy

Update on BBC article about Compton

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-36154201

Mr Burnham said: "Shamefully, the cover-up continued in this Warrington court room. Millions of pounds of public money were spent retelling discredited lies.
"Lawyers for retired officers threw disgusting slurs; those for today's force tried to establish that others were responsible for the opening of the gate.
"If the police had chosen to maintain its apology, these inquests would have been much shorter."

Taken from Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillsborough_disaster#David_Crompton

A formal complaint was made against David Crompton, South Yorkshire's chief constable, over internal emails relating to the Hillsborough disaster. In 2013 Crompton sent an email in which he said the families' "version of certain events has become 'the truth' even though it isn't". In September, David Crompton had emailed the force's assistant chief constable Andy Holt and head of media Mark Thompson on 8 September, just four days before the Hillsborough Independent Panel Report was published. The email came to light as the result of a Freedom of Information request. South Yorkshire's police and crime commissioner Shaun Wright has appointed chief constable Simon Parr of Cambridgeshire Constabulary to head the investigation. Wright said: "The request has been submitted by a firm of solicitors in Liverpool acting on behalf of a number of individuals affected by the event."[203]

In March 2016 Crompton announced that he would retire in November. On 26 April 2016, after the inquest jury delivered a verdict affirming all the charges against the police, Crompton ?unequivocally accepted? the verdicts, including unlawful killing, said that the police operation at the stadium on the day of the disaster had been ?catastrophically wrong?, and apologised unreservedly. Following continued criticism of Crompton in the wake of the unlawful killing verdice, South Yorkshire Police and Crime Commissioner Dr Alan Billings suspended Crompton from duty on 27 April

Source article

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-22910241

Edited by Stokesy