Hillsborough Verdict

Mikey1874

For me , the crucial points are -

the IPCC knew S Yorks police officers lied under oath but took no action

not one MP from any party ever gave a toss or raised a voice in parliament until Andy Burnham pledged to open up the records to public scrutiny.

Hillsborough is a national disgrace on every level.

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Jambo-Jimbo

• Dusk_Till_Dawn

• Boab

I've only looked at the last page of this thread as I feared what some of the posts may have been like.

Seeing some of the quoted posts those fears were not misplaced.

With all the evidence available, when are some people going to get it into their head that the fans were NOT responsible?

What has to be said or shown for some to realise that senior officers of the law were involved in lies, cover up and perversion of justice on an industrial scale?

Placid Casual

I've only looked at the last page of this thread as I feared what some of the posts may have been like.

Seeing some of the quoted posts those fears were not misplaced.

With all the evidence available, when are some people going to get it into their head that the fans were NOT responsible?

What has to be said or shown for some to realise that senior officers of the law were involved in lies, cover up and perversion of justice on an industrial scale?

Best not let these type of people get to you.

Sometimes in life, it doesn't matter how much you care, some people are just arseholes.

Rudolf's Mate

Its compelling viewing, but harrowing at the same time.

Just finished it. Stopped it a couple of times if being honest. Hadn't even thought about what people must have seen but just from watching that alone to see the people crushed against the fence. Harrowing and sickening that it could have been prevented.

Couldn't watch all of that tonight. 

Felt bad for the "frontline" coppers, for wont of a better word, who were simply following horrendously wrong orders until they could see that it was all going horrifically wrong. Those at the top and who had any part in the cover-up (like the guy that told the officers in the stadium after the game not to bother recording anything in their pocketbooks" should be forced to stand up for their mistakes. Unfortunately I don't think that will ever happen.

Yep actually felt bad for the coppers which gave the interviews. 

I'm glad I watched it. Had absolutely no idea just what these families went through. Not even close.

Edited by Rudolf's Mate

Hard to find the words after watching that.So many involved in the cover up,it's hard to comprehend.The police chief and the ******* Coroner particularly disgusting.

H1B5 Owner

Anyone who glibly accuses the Liverpool fans should be sat down to watch that.

Horrendous and can't imagine what it was like for those involved - fans or the police.

Think the general perception was that the coroner was totally out of his depth and was to an extent railroaded by West Mid and S Yorks into the assumption on alcohol and the 3.15pm cutoff. Inquests were set up to sidestep police culpability.

What was also truly horrific was the treatment of the families in the identification and questioning straight after.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'm glad they showed this as many people still aren't aware of what went on.

Still not watched this Documenatry but will soon.

chester copperpot

I have avoided this thread as it's a subject pretty close to my heart however I felt the need to come on and praise Phil Scraton for his role in all of this.

I had obviously read his book etc but didn't actually realise just what a huge role he played on all of this.

Justice for the 96 has finally been realised after 27 years of suffering.

Let's hope some of these *******s now get put behind bars for their roles in all of this.

jambomartin

I watched the documentary last and its just incredible of how big a cover up it actually was.  The police federation spokesman - total scumbag!!

Interesting that that the normal Superintendent had been placed elsewhere a few weeks before the game and Duckenfield was placed in charge, a man who did not have a clue about football or policing a football game!

Why was there no scrutiny of the FA placing games in such death traps??

Robbo-Jambo

I have avoided this thread as it's a subject pretty close to my heart however I felt the need to come on and praise Phil Scraton for his role in all of this.

I had obviously read his book etc but didn't actually realise just what a huge role he played on all of this.

Justice for the 96 has finally been realised after 27 years of suffering.

Let's hope some of these *******s now get put behind bars for their roles in all of this.

Well said.

TexasAndy

I felt anger watching last night.  Angry that for years I blamed the fans.  I feel like I owe a huge apology to the people of Liverpool.  Duckenfield should be jailed.  Not only was it he who set the lies in motion when he lied to the FA representative about the gate being barged open he also (and this is the bit that upset me most last night) sat on his backside and watched the situation get worse.  All that was needed was a bit of direction to spread the fans in to the empty side areas.  He had loads of time to see this and sort it.  I would go as far to see he is guilty of manslaughter.  As for the rest involved, police chiefs, politicians, journalists.  They just disgust me.    

I felt anger watching last night. Angry that for years I blamed the fans. I feel like I owe a huge apology to the people of Liverpool. Duckenfield should be jailed. Not only was it he who set the lies in motion when he lied to the FA representative about the gate being barged open he also (and this is the bit that upset me most last night) sat on his backside and watched the situation get worse. All that was needed was a bit of direction to spread the fans in to the empty side areas. He had loads of time to see this and sort it. I would go as far to see he is guilty of manslaughter. As for the rest involved, police chiefs, politicians, journalists. They just disgust me.

This. Very much this is where I am.

Jambo-Jimbo

Anyone who glibly accuses the Liverpool fans should be sat down to watch that.

I really hope that those who still think the Liverpool fans were to blame, are feeling rather silly and ashamed right now.

I think Andy Burnham deserves credit as well.

I watched the documentary last and its just incredible of how big a cover up it actually was.  The police federation spokesman - total scumbag!!

A cover-up this big isn't maintained for this long by one or two senior Police Officers, no this goes much higher than the Police.

It has been alleged that this cover-up went right to the top of the Conservative Government of the time.

As for that Federation Spokesman, well I had better not say what I think of him, not on an open forum.

N Lincs Jambo

I really hope that those who still think the Liverpool fans were to blame, are feeling rather silly and ashamed right now.

I think Andy Burnham deserves credit as well.

A cover-up this big isn't maintained for this long by one or two senior Police Officers, no this goes much higher than the Police.

It has been alleged that this cover-up went right to the top of the Conservative Government of the time.

As for that Federation Spokesman, well I had better not say what I think of him, not on an open forum.

Here's an excerpt from a longer piece which pretty much says exactly what you are saying:

"But Hillsborough, a stain on British history like no other, can only be fully understood as part of the Thatcher era that gave rise to it. It was she who gave political cover to the South Yorkshire police, after they attacked the miners at Orgreave in 1984 and then tried to fit up dozens of them on a charge of riot ? immunity their reward for breaking the strike. And as Kenneth Clarke MP has admitted, Thatcher had declared football fans as an enemy within: not football hooligans ? football fans."

The whole article, written by a survivor of pen 3, Adrian Tempany, is here:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/may/01/hillsborough-inquest-survivor-adrian-tempany

Mikey1874

All that was needed was a bit of direction to spread the fans in to the empty side areas.

it was that simple

simple to do and simple to see that was the cause of the deaths

Jambo-Jimbo

Here's an excerpt from a longer piece which pretty much says exactly what you are saying:

"But Hillsborough, a stain on British history like no other, can only be fully understood as part of the Thatcher era that gave rise to it. It was she who gave political cover to the South Yorkshire police, after they attacked the miners at Orgreave in 1984 and then tried to fit up dozens of them on a charge of riot ? immunity their reward for breaking the strike. And as Kenneth Clarke MP has admitted, Thatcher had declared football fans as an enemy within: not football hooligans ? football fans."

The whole article, written by a survivor of pen 3, Adrian Tempany, is here:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/may/01/hillsborough-inquest-survivor-adrian-tempany

This is why a new inquiry has to be ordered into Orgreave.

Andy Burnham said in the commons (I think) that he had seen documents which showed that a lot of the same senior Police who were on duty at Orgreave were also on duty at Hillsborough.

They had got away with one cover-up and tried to get away with it a second time, which they did for 27 years.

It has only been since 2012 that the tide changed with regards to the truth about Hillsborough coming out.

Peter Wright the Chief Constable of South Yorkshire Police at the time of Hillsborough and Orgreave died in 2011.

Margaret Thatcher died in 2013 but was already doolally by 2012.

Are these dates just a coincidence?  Or.................................

Rudolf's Mate

In 89 I was a 15yr old carefree teenager in my own bubble. Whilst shocked by the events, hands up I was largely ignorant of what happened that day other than people got crushed and lost their lives. I was well aware of the Taylor report and the impact it had on stadiums within the UK however I was oblivious that the report was highly critical of SYP & Duckenfield. I was also totally unaware that Taylor stated the fans were not to blame and that this was back in 1990!

Hands up I didn't take much notice of what was going on but it's astounding that with that report that it took so long for them to get justice. 

Mikey1874

In 89 I was a 15yr old carefree teenager in my own bubble. Whilst shocked by the events, hands up I was largely ignorant of what happened that day other than people got crushed and lost their lives. I was well aware of the Taylor report and the impact it had on stadiums within the UK however I was oblivious that the report was highly critical of SYP & Duckenfield. I was also totally unaware that Taylor stated the fans were not to blame and that this was back in 1990!

Hands up I didn't take much notice of what was going on but it's astounding that with that report that it took so long for them to get justice.

Its a really good point about the Taylor report.

Said pretty much same as inquiry and inquest. But lost in the noise blaming the fans.

N Lincs Jambo

Andy Burnham said in the commons (I think) that he had seen documents which showed that a lot of the same senior Police who were on duty at Orgreave were also on duty at Hillsborough.

They had got away with one cover-up and tried to get away with it a second time, which they did for 27 years.

It has only been since 2012 that the tide changed with regards to the truth about Hillsborough coming out.

Peter Wright the Chief Constable of South Yorkshire Police at the time of Hillsborough and Orgreave died in 2011.

@alextomo tweeting that C4 News should be interesting tonight about both Orgreave and Hillsborough.

https://twitter.com/alextomo?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

AlimOzturk

Edit. Not the thread to argue in.

Edited by AlimOzturk

Here is hoping for this too. Sadly my father passed before this turn of events but the news may well have consoled him had he lived. Of the 13 businesses (wholy unconnected to mining) on the industrial estate in Doncaster we traded from at the time 12 went burst as a direct result of the miners' strike.

Just watched the documentary on i-player, it was both horrifying and compelling, the statement made by a fan who was there should really shut up any remaining doubters about the so called drunken fans when he said yes he'd been drinking before the game but he drank before every game, so what made that day different? 

It wasn't the drinking, it was how they were corralled into pens far too small for the amount. I have a clear memory of walking down Ayr High street that day and passing a TV shop and saying to my wife that it looked really packed in behind the goal, scary to think that we were watching as people died.

Glad the truth has finally come out.

The Old Tolbooth

I felt anger watching last night. Angry that for years I blamed the fans. I feel like I owe a huge apology to the people of Liverpool. Duckenfield should be jailed. Not only was it he who set the lies in motion when he lied to the FA representative about the gate being barged open he also (and this is the bit that upset me most last night) sat on his backside and watched the situation get worse. All that was needed was a bit of direction to spread the fans in to the empty side areas. He had loads of time to see this and sort it. I would go as far to see he is guilty of manslaughter. As for the rest involved, police chiefs, politicians, journalists. They just disgust me.

The people of Liverpool would just be happy that more and more people just like yourself are now seeing things from their side, a side that they've known for 27 years and had fallen on deaf ears for the most part.

Remnants of Standards

Hopefully the verdict and things like the documentary last night put an end to the bangers desperate to back up the Establishment's way of seeing things.

Jambo-Jimbo

The people of Liverpool would just be happy that more and more people just like yourself are now seeing things from their side, a side that they've known for 27 years and had fallen on deaf ears for the most part.

Sadly a hell of a lot of people believed what was printed and said in the media, what the Police and Government told them, even after the Taylor report cast doubts on the supposed 'Official' story.

Even today there are some doubters, probably not that many now but there are still some out there.

The Real Maroonblood

Watched the documentary last night.

It was very moving.

The police hierarchy well enough said.

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Criminal charges have been announced

David Duckenfield match commander on day - manslaughter of 95 people (not Tony Bland who died 4 years later)

Norman Bettison - misconduct in public office for lying in aftermath

Graham Mackrell Sheffield Wednesday club Secretary for breaching health and safety

Peter Metcalf Police solicitor perverting course of justice re witness statements

Chief Supt Donald Denton and Detective Chief Inspector Alan Foster - both perverting the course of justice

CavySlaveJambo

Charges have been brought against six individuals. 

Should be interesting when this gets to court. 

• 5 months later...
Dagger Is Back
2 hours ago, redm said:

So many individuals telling so many despicable lies. The extent and depth of the deceit still feels unbelievable.

Couldn’t agree more. For those of a certain generation who were actively encouraged to take as gospel the word of certain members of our society, the last few years have been a huge shock to the system.

• 1 year later...

The trial of David Duckenfield charged with gross negligence manslaughter is near it's conclusion.

The judge has just told the jury he will accept a majority verdict of 10 out 12 after they advised they had not reached unanimous verdicts. 

Also on trial is Graham Mackrell ex Sheffield Wednesday for health and safety offences. 

Calebs Grandad
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

The trial of David Duckenfield charged with gross negligence manslaughter is near it's conclusion.

The judge has just told the jury he will accept a majority verdict of 10 out 12 after they advised they had not reached unanimous verdicts. 

Also on trial is Graham Mackrell ex Sheffield Wednesday for health and safety offences. 

I hope Duckenfield is jailed then beaten to a pulp inside but fear justice will not be done. Even a guilty verdict would see numerous reasons given not to jail the b*stard. 

Jury after 8/9 days has failed to reach verdict on David Duckenfield.

Guilty verdict on health and safety charges against Graham Mackrell.

Prosecution have said they will seek a retrial on Duckenfield. 

Edited by Mikey1874

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Yea lets blame one man for the whole thing, good idea.   Verdict says there was nothing he could have done and no way of knowing. 

Thank fk I ain't got his job.