The 2015 General Election Megathread

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

Good post,there will be a lot of nervous MP's and MSP's next week,many may never see inside Westminster again and it's last chance saloon for them.

As for the above picture of Nicola,I saw one last night which was disgusting,the work of children.....I don't think so.

It's pretty sad that our country has come to this. The referendum brought out the worst in many people on all sides, and sadly it is continuing, whether its posters being ripped off walls and defaced, signs being burnt and destroyed, online abuse, verbal abuse at canvassers, people at street stalls, during hustings etc....

A divided nation for sure, and the fringe elements on both sides are very dark and nasty. Political enlightenment seems to be sinking as many people down as it lifts up.

Edited by jambo1185

• Replies 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aussieh

• JamboX2

• TheMaganator

• Boris

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Stuart Lyon

SNP record as government in Scotland

A&E targets consistently missed

Law reforms fiasco - corroboration as an example

Promised class size reduction not delivered

Taxation - stamp duty reforms had to be rehashed once Osbourne announced his changes

Oil revenue projections - over cooked

College places reduced - student numbers 36% lower than 2008-9

Climate change targets missed for 3 consecutive years

Police Scotland - backroom staff may have to go to help close a ?1 billion funding gap

Underspend on NHS

Hardly an inspiring record so god knows how they attract the followers in the numbers that they do. 

thankfully your view is not shared by the vast majority of the Scottish and even British public. This thread is being taken over by the SNP haters and it's quite funny to see the level of hatred you have for Sturgeon and the SNP. Hope you all have a lovely 8th of May

i think you will find my view was shared with 55.31% of scotland last year thankfully. it is not funny to see the level of my hatred for sturgeon and snp just frightening .

TheMaganator

Gerald Warner on fine form:

"The SNP is now a mystic cult wholly divorced from reality"

http://www.capx.co/the-snp-is-now-a-mystic-cult-wholly-divorced-from-reality/

"Nationalism has become a Gnostic sect, its followers gifted with a special insight into matters that the uninitiated do not properly comprehend. Where the unenlightened see a massive fiscal deficit under independence, tumbling oil revenues, huge public sector pension liabilities and Third World economic status, the True Believers see a bulging exchequer, lavish increases in public spending, a cornucopia of welfare benefits and massively funded public services creating a universal quality of life formerly the exclusive preserve of millionaires."

Cameron fury as desperate Lib Dems leak Tories' 'secret' welfare cuts: Alexander reveals Conservatives are plotting to 'con' British people by slashing child tax credits and child benefits in ?8billion purge

Danny Alexander exposes 'secret' plans by Tories for ?8billion welfare cuts

Accuses Conservatives a 'con' by keeping cuts secret until after election

Tories hit back and brand their former coalition partners 'desperate'

Growing dissent in Lib Dem ranks over a second coaliton with Tories

A furious row erupted today between the Lib Dems and Conservatives over claims David Cameron is plotting to 'slash support for families'.

Lib Dem minister Danny Alexander was branded 'desperate' by the Tories after leaking what he claimed are secret plans drawn up in the last government to cut Child Benefit and Child Tax Credits.

The decision to release the ministerial memo just a week before polling day is seen as a last ditch bid by the Lib Dems to cling on to seats where they face a challenge from their former coalition partners.

Liberal Democrat Danny Alexander (pictured) has accused the Conservatives of attempting to 'con' British people by keeping ?8billion cuts a 'secret'

+5

BENEFITS CUTS WHICH LIB DEMS ACCUSE TORIES OF PLANNING

According to Danny Alexander, the unimplemented Tory proposals included:

Banning child benefit and child tax credits for more than two children, leaving a family with three children up to ?3,500 worse off

Removing higher rate Child Benefit from first child - an average cut of over ?360 for every family with children

Means-testing Child Benefit - cutting ?1,750 for a two child middle income family

Removing Child Benefit from 16-19-year-olds - a cut of over ?1,000 for parents of a single child

Tory Chancellor George Osborne has promised to cut ?12billion from the welfare bill after the election, but has repeatedly refused to say where the axe will fall.

The Lib Dems have vowed to block the plan as the price of any future coalition deal after May 7.

Mr Alexander, who served as Chief Secretary for the Treasury, has now released details of benefit cuts put to the Quad of senior ministers, which included him, Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg, Prime Minister David Cameron and Mr Osborne.

He said he was lifting the lid on the internal coalition discussions because his former government colleagues were 'trying to con the British people by keeping their planned cuts secret until after the election'.

The Lib Dems revealed that in June 2012, the Quad was sent a document called 'Welfare Reform Quad Summer Reading Pack' produced by Work and Pensions Secretary Iain Duncan Smith.

Mr Alexander said the previously dropped plans - including limiting Child Benefit and Child Tax Credit to two children at a cost of ?3,500 for a family of three - were a clear signal of where the axe would fall.

But he was forced to admit that many of the claims set out in today's document had been made public - and rejected by the Tories - in the past.

He told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: 'There are lots of ideas that have been doing the rounds for years, so I think it's not credible for the Conservatives to say they do not know what they're going to do.

'If they are proposing ?12billion of welfare savings without knowing what they're going to do, that is highly reckless.

'Equally, if they do know what they want to do and they're not telling the British people, that is deceitful.

'And that does frustrate me because I think that this is one of the issues that in the last seven days of the election campaign people would expect the Conservatives to come clean about.'

Furious Tories insisted the proposed cuts were rejected by David Cameron three years ago and were not part of plans to cut ?12billion from welfare

+5

Furious Tories insisted the proposed cuts were rejected by David Cameron three years ago and were not part of plans to cut ?12billion from welfare

The claims from Mr Alexander have infuriated Tory Chancellor George Osborne, pictured at a Timothy Taylors Brewery in Keighley, West Yorkshire yesterday, who spent five years working with Mr Alexander

+5

The claims from Mr Alexander have infuriated Tory Chancellor George Osborne, pictured at a Timothy Taylors Brewery in Keighley, West Yorkshire yesterday, who spent five years working with Mr Alexander

+5

The claims from Mr Alexander have infuriated Tory Chancellor George Osborne, pictured at a Timothy Taylors Brewery in Keighley, West Yorkshire yesterday, who spent five years working with the Lib Dems

But the Conservatives dismissed the claim as 'desperate stuff' from the Liberal Democrats and insisted the proposals were 'definitely not our policy'.

Tory Culture Secretary Sajid Javid told Sky News: 'This is just a desperate attempt by the Lib Dems to try to move their position in the polls, but it's not going to work because these proposals were never proposed or supported by the Prime Minister or the Chancellor and they would never be supported by the Prime Minister or the Chancellor.

'Our principles are very clear when it comes to welfare: it is there to help people, especially to help people get back into work, but also to support the disabled, to support pensioners - and those principles will not change.'

If they are proposing ?12billion of welfare savings without knowing what they're going to do, that is highly reckless. If they do know and they're not telling the British people, that is deceitful

Lib Dem Danny Alexander

Mr Alexander's revelations came as The Times reported growing dissent in Lib Dem ranks over the possibility of entering a second power-sharing deal with the Conservatives if the General Election fails to produce a clear winner.

Nick Clegg has based his campaign around the premise that his party would be a restraining influence on either of the main parties.

But the newspaper said a number of - mostly unnamed - parliamentarians were increasingly hostile to the prospect of a Tory tie-up, which would have to be approved by a special party conference.

Mr Alexander said: 'For five years I won battle after battle to stop the Tories veering off to the right with ideological cuts, and it's been worth it to get the economy back on track while ensuring a fairer society.

'The coalition has delivered savings in a fair way, but the Tories now want to balance the books off the backs of ordinary working families and the most vulnerable in society.

'The Tories have turned their backs on the plan delivered in coalition government. Instead they want to cut ?1,500 for eight million households, singling out middle and low-income families to bear the burden - and asking nothing from the best off.

'It's clear from our time in government that the Tories' target will be slashing support for families. I'm lifting the lid on this now because the Conservatives are trying to con the British people by keeping their planned cuts secret until after the election.

'They now ask the British people to trust them when they make unfunded pledges on health and tax, yet won't tell us how they will cut welfare for millions of families to pay for their plans. They may give with one hand, but they will take away twice as much with the other.

'The Liberal Democrats will take a fairer approach, cutting less than the Conservatives and borrowing less than Labour, to deliver a stronger economy and fairer society with opportunity for everyone.'

Labour leader Ed Miliband said the future of child benefit and tax credits is 'on the ballot paper next week'

+5

Labour leader Ed Miliband said the future of child benefit and tax credits is 'on the ballot paper next week'

Labour leader Ed Miliband also seized on the revelation.Speaking ahead of an event in Yorkshire, he said: 'Today we've learnt that child benefit and tax credits are on the ballot paper next week.

'The Tories have drawn up plans to take thousands of pounds away from millions of families.

'The Tories' secret plan has been revealed. 'And they will put it into practice in just seven days' time if they get the chance. 'It's the final proof that working families can't afford five years of the Tories.?'

Eh? your arithmetic is wrong. Of course the Tories wont gain seats in Scotland, but that want to make sure Labour dont gain any either. Thats the point here - the Tories are probably happy that the SNP have smashed 50 seats from their main rivals out the park.

Which theyre offering to Labour for the WIN. Its not the tories that are winning the seats.

Would it be of any great surprise, if SNP return a majority to Holyrood next year that there would be another referendum on the table? I think not.

So why act shocked/offended when it is mentioned?

It's pretty sad that our country has come to this. The referendum brought out the worst in many people on all sides, and sadly it is continuing, whether its posters being ripped off walls and defaced, signs being burnt and destroyed, online abuse, verbal abuse at canvassers, people at street stalls, during hustings etc....

A divided nation for sure, and the fringe elements on both sides are very dark and nasty. Political enlightenment seems to be sinking as many people down as it lifts up.

Exactly right,in fact we are becoming more like Americans every day now,over there it's even worse,believe me.

I found it interesting that in today's FMQs, Dugdale and Rennie talked entirely about a referendum, and Davidson decided to focus on attacking the literacy and numeracy findings.

No doubt in my mind that in a SNP majority Holyrood, only one party will be able to properly play the part of the opposition.

Gerald Warner on fine form:

"The SNP is now a mystic cult wholly divorced from reality"

http://www.capx.co/the-snp-is-now-a-mystic-cult-wholly-divorced-from-reality/

"Nationalism has become a Gnostic sect, its followers gifted with a special insight into matters that the uninitiated do not properly comprehend. Where the unenlightened see a massive fiscal deficit under independence, tumbling oil revenues, huge public sector pension liabilities and Third World economic status, the True Believers see a bulging exchequer, lavish increases in public spending, a cornucopia of welfare benefits and massively funded public services creating a universal quality of life formerly the exclusive preserve of millionaires."

Well, he would say that, wouldn't he?

Not exactly an unbiased source.

A former special adviser to Michael Forsyth and from what I have gathered and opponent of LGTB rights.

This man is one step away from UKIP!

So, you'll forgive me if I couldn't give a Tinker's pump about what he has to say.  

Sidsnot, a few of us have already been discussing that story this morning. Think the formatting has gone all funny as well. Do you have any thoughts on it btw?

Milibands comment that it is a reveal of a "secret plan" is laughable.

All parties have policy options papers containing ideas which get dropped as soon as they are discussed. It's hardly a scandal, that's the whole point of these, to cover all bases including some incredible extremes to get the thought process going.

As it happens, I don't think changing child benefit is all that bad a thing if the plan is to no longer offer it for third children (assuming it's only for future births it applies, wouldn't agree with it being taken off someone already in receipt, although I think that stopping payments at 16 could be applied to current kids on a transitional basis (say applicable to those under 12 only when the policy is enacted)).

However, if the Lib Dems are leaking their own documents it adds credence to the thought that the #Nikileaks scandal arose from Carmichael.

Edited by jambo1185

What have they got to do with the Scottish Government? I think you will find the UK gets all the dosh and they over cooked the projection, along with everyone else.

He might be talking about the White Paper?

The literacy and numeracy findings are the most damning indictment of the SNP at Holyrood in my view, particularly as it's something they can't possibly blame on anyone else and yet it doesn't seem to be getting very much media coverage!

Edited by jambo1185

Mr Brightside

The Tories will finish about 40-50 seats short of a majority with nobody to form an agreement with.

Ed is guaranteed to be the next PM if he co-operates.

If Ed doesn't co-operate SNP can either vote for a Labour Queens speech or its back to the polls and a lot of the new seats will be lost as people in Scotland will go back to Labour to prevent a Tory govt. the SNP will win a record number of seats but that is the last card they can play.

Taxation - stamp duty reforms had to be rehashed once Osbourne announced his changes

Police Scotland - backroom staff may have to go to help close a ?1 billion funding gap

Underspend on NHS

Hardly an inspiring record so god knows how they attract the followers in the numbers that they do.

Let's her about the alternatives then?

You and your ilk on here are quick to slaughter everything SNP but not so quick to provide a solution.

Underspend on NHS

you could spend all day highlighting their cockups like the fire brigade cuts ?10m avoidable tax payment then sacking firemen to pay for it.prestwick airport ?40m thrown at a dead duck.v and a museum in dundee x2 over estimate another ?40m . ?26m on gaelic roadsigns.the list goes on .snp financially illiterate.frightening

I don't like Davidson nor her politics but she is the only one that scores points on the SNP, the others continue to re-run the Referendum by saying this isn't a re-run of the referendum and then re-running the referendum.  Attack policy, promote alternative - if people like it they'll vote for you - that is Davidson's stance and it will work well for her come 2016, they might push Labour into 3rd.

The devolution of a number of taxes gives her a good opportunity actually because she can argue a centre-right fiscal, low tax, position up here which could appeal to, and steal back, the more affluent New Labour types from the central belt and Aberdeen. There will still be the core anti-Tory block across the country but, particularly if Labour try to go left to recover some ground from the SNP, she is the only centre-right voice in Scotland so they have no other home to go to (I can't see these sorts of people voting UKIP). If every other party goes left, and the Lib Dems continue to be slaughtered, she's got a whole demographic for her to tap into, but I suspect many of those who may actually be naturally centre-right will probably still need worked on to get around their immediate discomfort at putting a cross beside a Tory candidate. And pro-independence centre-right leaners (many of whom currently sit in Holyrood) will obviously continue to vote SNP regardless of how far left they go as its a means to their preferred end.

If the Tories come in with around 450,000 to 500,000 votes next week, and she achieves her aim of improving 1 in 6 voting Tory in 2010 to closer to 1 in 5, I think they can genuinely look at overtaking Labour in 2016 who I don't think have enough time to turn it round and could continue to be squeezed.

I'm not totally up to speed with how the Holyrood system works, if the SNP clean up the constituency vote, does that decrease the number of list MPs they can get, even if they top that vote as well?

Edited by jambo1185

Underspend on NHS

You can only pish with the prick that youve got.

FFA then judge.

Edited by aussieh

40-45 seats will be a fantastic return. People (not you) are in danger of getting ahead of themselves because of these recent polls. Polls are polls. It's votes that count and as said above, I expect a lot of people to swing to Labour on polling day.

I'd be utterly astonished (but delighted), if we return 49/50.

me too, 30+ seats is a good performance, 40+ would be astonishing

me too, 30+ seats is a good performance, 40+ would be astonishing

It's mad isn't it, given they have 6, 10 should be seen as an absolutely brilliant night, and there will be people who will be disappointed if they now don't take 50 to 55!

Stuart Lyon

RosscoC - why should i need to provide alternatives? The SNP should be asked to explain these failures along with the others highlighted by freddiemac! So could you explain the regular SNP failures or is that something else covered by the suppression of free speech within the Brigadoon party?

It's mad isn't it, given they have 6, 10 should be seen as an absolutely brilliant night, and there will be people who will be disappointed if they now don't take 50 to 55!

I dont mind how many they get, as long as Mad Monk Murphy gets hunted. MMM OUT.

aussieeh - get up to date man - it isn't FFA anymore its FFR! Weren't they allowed to tell you?

Nice sneaky double e, or am I giving you to much credit eh. :)

I dont mind how many they get, as long as Mad Monk Murphy gets hunted. MMM OUT.

He's toast. The Tories have a strong candidate there and think they can push Jimbo into third.

RosscoC - why should i need to provide alternatives? The SNP should be asked to explain these failures along with the others highlighted by freddiemac! So could you explain the regular SNP failures or is that something else covered by the suppression of free speech within the Brigadoon party?

I don't have to explain the failures, I'm not a member of the SNP party. If all you have listed is correct, who should I vote for? And why would it be any different from the points listed?

I think you and others are getting caught up in this SNP bloodlust, remember this is a general election. Surely you should be looking at the record of the UK government. For example, it was announced that the UK GDP figures have been halved for the first 3 months. Did that even make it onto this thread?

aussieeeeeh - great riposte!

How many fingers am I holding up.

Thats the Labour,Tory, and LDs seat count. :D

Edited by aussieh

It's quite understandable though,pre September 18th their scare tactics worked to a treat,scare the old people,use the rags as method of worrying any 50/50 voters,get the Unionists and OO to scream,have idiots like Jackie Bird and Kay Burley twist the facts,bring up the gestapo from England,get a has been,Gordon Brown to talk utter shite,all in all it worked a treat and I take my hat off to them.

This time though,the same tactics have been sunk by a tidal wave of euphoria from the Scottish public,still awaiting The Vow,which is a dead duck,people ain't stupid,well except for a few clowns on here by the looks of things,they KNOW it's all over for them,such is life.

because many experts were warning us about in impending disasterit was all bluff and bluster and scaremongering.then we find out the white paper projects oil tax income at ?700 b per annum was actually ?800m. sturgeon then says the other night we will grow our way out of this deficit.

FFA then judge.

ffr as nippy nows calls it to confuse her followers will add an average of 8billion deficit to scotlands economy every year for the next 5years financially illiterate or what?

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

If you cap rents, you cut the housing benefit. If you build housing, state owned housing, and increase supply you cut housing prices.

If you regulate the energy market and regulate the structure of how energy markets can price their product then you can keep energy costs down and cut fuel poverty. If you start a scheme to insulate homes run by the state, you likewise could save on energy benefits in winter for the old.

If you limit the increase in train fairies you make public transport more affordable and can save people money there.

The state should actively engage in the market and help maintain an affordable cost of living.

I love how you responded seriously to a facetious comment. :lol:

If and when there's a Rupert Murdoch RIP thread, I won't be signing it.

In Salmonds new book you can sense he was feeling a little let down the Sun never came to his support over the referendum as it had in times gone by.

Looks like its back on side.

A vile institution of a paper and one no party should chase. Labour under Blair chasing its backing was a low point.

Oops.

media-ed-milliband-the-sun-newspaper.jpg

I found it interesting that in today's FMQs, Dugdale and Rennie talked entirely about a referendum, and Davidson decided to focus on attacking the literacy and numeracy findings.

No doubt in my mind that in a SNP majority Holyrood, only one party will be able to properly play the part of the opposition.

It is incredible. The SNP is there to be challenged on policy, but Labour (the main opposition to the SNP) don't take it. They'd rather engage in pettiness. 

Just like some posters on this thread who mewl about no one challenging the SNP on policy, yet they are fixated the past referendum or a hypothetical future one.

Britain is not being held back by exaggerated "division" - it will be held back by those obsessed about holding another referendum, and those who are opposed to independence but can't stop talking about it. 

doctor jambo

Let's her about the alternatives then?

You and your ilk on here are quick to slaughter everything SNP but not so quick to provide a solution.

YOu miss the point- the SNP are supposed to be the solution.

the point is - they aren't

ffr as nippy nows calls it to confuse her followers will add an average of 8billion deficit to scotlands economy every year for the next 5years financially illiterate or what?

Ah well, we're better with the 95b uk deficit and rising eeeeeeeh.

The SNP always say that the oil price forecast being so badly out is ok because everyone else got it wrong too. The rest who got it wrong didn't depend on it but it was vital for Scotland as an independent country and it showed that basing an economy on a volatile commodity is financial suicide. Still haven't seen what their predicted ?15bn of onshore revenue which offsets the oil black hole breaks down to yet either... 

YOu miss the point- the SNP are supposed to be the solution.

the point is - they aren't

So who is? It's not a hard question.

doctor jambo

Are you really moaning that the Con/Dems have not delivered austerity?

The debt is rising, the deficit is shrinking.... The debt won't shrink until we turn the deficit into a surplus

The debt is rising, the deficit is shrinking.... The debt won't shrink until we turn the deficit into a surplus

And how is productivity/growth?

And how is productivity/growth?

Growth in last 3 months not quite as good as it has been due to looming economic crisis if Labour/SNP are running the country, but prior to that, the fastest growing economy in Europe....

doctor jambo

There is no alternative

No party has offered proper austerity

All are continuing to borrow

All are lying and deflecting

All are making false promises

I'll vote the least risky

The SNP are offering to GROW the deficit

and slow the non-austerity so it lasts even longer,

And still borrow the trident trillions, but spend it on war ships instead and conventional weapons- guess I'd rather be shot than nuked, but I'd rather they didn't borrow the money at all..........................................

enhanced-12062-1430247297-6.png

I am, of course, referring to the chap on the left.

Edited by jambo1185

There is no alternative

No party has offered proper austerity

All are continuing to borrow

All are lying and deflecting

All are making false promises

I'll vote the least risky

The SNP are offering to GROW the deficit

and slow the non-austerity so it lasts even longer,

And still borrow the trident trillions, but spend it on war ships instead and conventional weapons- guess I'd rather be shot than nuked, but I'd rather they didn't borrow the money at all..........................................

So who is least risky?

FFA then judge.

one of the better snp crackers on here.i must admit what i will miss the most after this elections results are in will be the conspiracy stories mi5 ,rigged ballots ,media bias ,tory rags ,bbc shouting for reruns and another election next year.bluff and bluster , scaremongering .westminster project fear.laugh a minute stuff

enhanced-12062-1430247297-6.png

I am, of course, referring to the chap on the left.

Good edit, I wasn't sure before.

I suppose you can't vote for either of them in the next election and I don't think Ruth will be getting many calls from London for her thoughts.

Growth in last 3 months not quite as good as it has been due to looming economic crisis if Labour/SNP are running the country, but prior to that, the fastest growing economy in Europe....

Not quite as good? Halved.

And they must have been worrying about it for the last five years since Cameron has presided over the weakest productivity record of any government since WW2. It's well behind US, Germany and even France. In fact it's the 2nd worse of all G7 leading nations.

I guess it is who you believe, but that claim is being disputed by the LD's saying Osborne's comment that " a three-year-old document of policy options commissioned by the Chief Secretary Danny Alexander himself" is not true.

Interesting!

Actually I totally believe Danny Alexander and it shows exactly where Cameron is targetting cuts

That said it just shows the LibDumbs in an even worse light.

Firstly if he's highlighting the child benefit changes that he blocked then presumably the LibDumbs approved the other measures such as bedroom tax.

Secondly would Cameron or Miliband trust the LDs as any sort of honourable partner in the next government?  Did someone call him the Ginger Rodent?

Not quite as good? Halved.

And they must have been worrying about it for the last five years since Cameron has presided over the weakest productivity record of any government since WW2. It's well behind US, Germany and even France. In fact it's the 2nd worse of all G7 leading nations.

In the same way companies had 2nd thoughts about setting up in Scotland prior to the Indyref, they'll be doing the same with the UK with all the uncertainty of the election. 

The economy fluctuates between destruction (Labour in charge) and recovery (Tories in charge). The economy needs to be flourishing for companies to give out benefits/rises etc which would increase the productivity levels of the country.