The 2015 General Election Megathread

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

What do you think?

as i said last night very very scary strange how her followers are not willing to get too involved here.sums up snp financially illiterate

• Replies 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aussieh

• JamboX2

• TheMaganator

• Boris

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Its really a win win for the SNP if they get 50+ seats.

If Labour agree to some sort of agreement then Scotland has a voice & can keep the Westminster elite in check.

No agreement & the SNP are a lame bunch of MP's with little to do & nobody listening to them down there, how long before the Scots demand another Indy Ref?

People on here are losing their shit about the SNP but most are fed up with the "big 2" & their archaic politics. We need a radical change and although that wont come from the SNP, they are the party likely to kick start it off.

Plus the Tories are just lizards really.

I blame Labour.  They moved too far to the right such that there is little difference between them and the Tories.   No wonder those who needed Labour help the most moved to the SNP.

Bingo!

I blame Labour. They moved too far to the right such that there is little difference between them and the Tories. No wonder those who needed Labour help the most moved to the SNP.

Not enough. Need government to be ran by governments & NOT multi nationals, lobbyists, USA, et-al.

People need to be put before profit.

Investment in people & infrastructure & not the banks.

Bring public services back into public ownership (trains, telecomms, power, utilities etc).

Rid our island of WMD's

Would you not vote for that?

The list goes on.

Tories & Labour wont make any of that happen.

deesidejambo

Not enough. Need government to be ran by governments & NOT multi nationals, lobbyists, USA, et-al.

Bring public services back into public ownership (trains, telecomms, power, utilities etc).

Rid our island of WMD's

The list goes on.

Thats my point.  The Tories wont make that happen, but Labour should have.

:spoton: vote SNP, get Tory

So, if Scotland reverted to type and voted predominantly Labour, the Tories would somehow lose?  The Tories have nothing to lose in Scotland.  If they are to get a majority it as to come in England.  It's simple arithmetic. Whether Labour or SNP wins the Scottish seats is irrelevant - the main point is that the Tories aren't, so the whole Vote SNP, get Tory is a massive smokescreen.

Are English voters really that scared of the SNP?  If so, that tells us a lot about how Scotland as a whole is viewed by our neighbour.

deesidejambo

So, if Scotland reverted to type and voted predominantly Labour, the Tories would somehow lose?  The Tories have nothing to lose in Scotland.  If they are to get a majority it as to come in England.  It's simple arithmetic. Whether Labour or SNP wins the Scottish seats is irrelevant - the main point is that the Tories aren't, so the whole Vote SNP, get Tory is a massive smokescreen.

Are English voters really that scared of the SNP?  If so, that tells us a lot about how Scotland as a whole is viewed by our neighbour.

Eh?  your arithmetic is wrong.  Of course the Tories wont gain seats in Scotland, but that want to make sure Labour dont gain any either.  Thats the point here - the Tories are probably happy that the SNP have smashed 50 seats from their main rivals out the park.

deesidejambo

Christ please dont tell me this poll was done after the Sun front page came out.

Any chance of a link to that poll?  I don't beleive it.

Any chance of a link to that poll? I don't beleive it.

Just pulled it from Twitter, but all the reputable sources are reporting it.

Eh?  your arithmetic is wrong.  Of course the Tories wont gain seats in Scotland, but that want to make sure Labour dont gain any either.  Thats the point here - the Tories are probably happy that the SNP have smashed 50 seats from their main rivals out the park.

But how does this lead to a Tory win, if when you add Labour & SNP together they would have more?

Ergo, Vote SNP in no way means get Tory.

They, the Tories, simply don't have enough seats.

YouGov have the Tories ahead (nationally) by one, but Labour potentially the largest party as of today.  Forecasting in forward a week has Tories largest party by a few seats, but importantly unable to form a working majority. https://yougov.co.uk/#/centre

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/datablog/2015/apr/30/tories-lead-the-contest-for-largest-party-but-ed-miliband-leads-the-race-to-no-10

jambos are go!

I blame Labour.  They moved too far to the right such that there is little difference between them and the Tories.   No wonder those who needed Labour help the most moved to the SNP.

You seem to have forgotten that the SNP manifesto is virtually a carbon copy of the Labour one.Labours biggest mistake IMO is not to get big hitters into Holyrood and surely that will change. Even at the last Holyrood election they lost good people because valuable sitting MSPs were not also at the top of the PR list to ensure they would return

Murdoch is trying to get folk not to vote Labour throughout the UK to further the interests of the Tories. Surely folk realise this.

Thanks Boris, I hadn't spotted the NowCast had been updated yesterday. Loads of interesting things there, SNP lead is being closed in a number of constituencies (Banff and Buchanan markedly, probably as a result of the Labour candidate losing the support of the party), others they continue to advance.

Going to be some very close majorities on the night I think.

Murdoch is trying to get folk not to vote Labour throughout the UK to further the interests of the Tories. Surely folk realise this.

I don't doubt that, but that doesn't mean not voting Labour is a vote for the Tories, or that by voting SNP you are somehow doing Murdoch's bidding. 

Thanks Boris, I hadn't spotted the NowCast had been updated yesterday. Loads of interesting things there, SNP lead is being closed in a number of constituencies (Banff and Buchanan markedly, probably as a result of the Labour candidate losing the support of the party), others they continue to advance.

Going to be some very close majorities on the night I think.

I think so too.  In the same way as forecasters predict a swing to the Tories at the ballot box, I suspect that a similar "urge" will happen in Scotland regards Labour.

That said, the SNP vote seems rather entrenched and tactical voting may well keep some incumbents in their seats, in fact, is needed to keep some incumbents in their seats!  IMO, of course.

I think way to much credence is given to the Suns light out front page , polling at the time shows labours support in 1992 was behind the Tory party even before Kinnocks mental case performance at Sheffield a week before the election .

All the Scum newspaper did was jump on the public mood of the day z

the Sun has always been a Tory paper but it will come out in support for whoever it thinks will win. In Scotland it looks like it will be the SNP so they support them in Scotland. In England it looks pretty close so they support their natural choice the Tories  

jambos are go!

I don't doubt that, but that doesn't mean not voting Labour is a vote for the Tories, or that by voting SNP you are somehow doing Murdoch's bidding. 

You are entitled to your opinion but I don't agree. Labour needs Scottish seats to ensure they are the biggest party. With a return to 2010 numbers in Scotland they would be a shoe in. I accept that the polls say that will not happen.

deesidejambo

But how does this lead to a Tory win, if when you add Labour & SNP together they would have more?

Ergo, Vote SNP in no way means get Tory.

They, the Tories, simply don't have enough seats.

YouGov have the Tories ahead (nationally) by one, but Labour potentially the largest party as of today.  Forecasting in forward a week has Tories largest party by a few seats, but importantly unable to form a working majority. https://yougov.co.uk/#/centre

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/datablog/2015/apr/30/tories-lead-the-contest-for-largest-party-but-ed-miliband-leads-the-race-to-no-10

No you are assuming (possibly correctly, but still assuming) that there is no way the Tories can make it to power either alone or with LD etc support.   If (Lord help us) The Sun does cause a swing, then the Tories could make it anyway.  Added to that is the liklihood of a swing to the Tories at the end of the campaign if UKIP voters decide to vote tactically to keep Labour out.

your having a laugh mate,ponsonby showed her up for what she is.

thankfully your view is not shared by the vast majority of the Scottish and even British public. This thread is being taken over by the SNP haters and it's quite funny to see the level of hatred you have for Sturgeon and the SNP. Hope you all have a lovely 8th of May

What's the current undecided level in Scotland. I saw 29% mentioned but I wasn't sure if that was UK-wide.

That's a massive number though, and could completely change the outlook of the election depending on where those votes go.

Thunderstruck

Rid our island of WMD's

The list goes on.

Good luck with that! None of the parties will go anywhere near radical change (including SNP). Business and capital can and will vote with its feet. Big Oil, Financial Institutions, etc. all have considerable influence across the globe. Re-nationalisation is highly unlikely beyond token attempts as, unless Governments intend to steal the companies, it would be frighteningly expensive.

We could, of course, go down the Venezualan route.

Ruth Davidson gave something close to an answer on the ?12bn welfare cuts with Jackie Bird last night. Basically, beyond the in-work benefits freeze and reduction in the benefits cap (which come to about ?5bn) it comes down to DWP modeling on getting more people into work (well, ?7bn of it does) by removing the current "cliff-edges" which apply to certain benefits where you, for example, work more than a certain number of hours, and instead making that tapered to encourage people to pick up more hours if they can rather than not doing so because it would cause them to lose, or see a substantial drop, in their benefits that wouldn't be made up by the additional income from a couple of extra shifts.

Given that took her 2 minutes to set-out, I'm struggling as to why the senior Tories in England struggle so much to answer this question, sure it's conditional on certain events, by why not just say that we believe around ?7bn can be saved by "ensuring work always pays bla bla and getting more people into work bla bla bla". Your opponents will still attack it as being vague and uncertain etc..., but at least it looks like you've actually thought it through rather than picked the number out of the air. And, at its most basic level, 'more people working will reduce the benefits bill' isn't exactly a stupid concept.

Edited by jambo1185

Bit of embarrassment for Danny Alexander now, turns out the document he's been referring to with the Tory child benefit cut plans was actually a policy options document commissioned by him.

Also it's a bit shameful of Alexander on this one actually in my view, they were policy options that were not picked-up, it's not a policy the Tories were trying to drive through which the Lib Dems blocked. I suspect in policy options a whole range of bonkers things are put on the table as possibilities and then quickly discarded, or amended.

Although they have failed to do this in the last 5 years using the methods they have tried. Why would it be different in the next 5?

Maybe that's why they don't want to give a proper answer this time? It just seems odd to me to not answer it when they do actually know what the answer is - a big chunk of the cuts is a consequential benefit, dependent on us managing to get a bunch of people back into work. Fair enough goal to have, then look/challenge/analyse the ways in which they think they might achieve that. It could be that their ways of achieving that are tinker with the universal credit and then basically 'hope the private sector does it for us', so they don't want to really go there.

It would also help, slightly, with dampening down the scare stories about how they are going achieve those cuts because I don't think people would struggle with the logic of more people working and getting less benefits equals drop in welfare spending, or consider that wanting to get people working more so they come off of benefits is a bad thing. They seem to be allowing Labour an open goal on this.

Edited by jambo1185

Psychedelicropcircle

I think so too. In the same way as forecasters predict a swing to the Tories at the ballot box, I suspect that a similar "urge" will happen in Scotland regards Labour.

That said, the SNP vote seems rather entrenched and tactical voting may well keep some incumbents in their seats, in fact, is needed to keep some incumbents in their seats! IMO, of course.

I think when leaders of parties encourage voters to not vote for them it's time to move the fools along. When I see Rennie suggesting vote unionist I just think it's to keep the bought up member of WM in a job. It's a pals act.

You are entitled to your opinion but I don't agree. Labour needs Scottish seats to ensure they are the biggest party. With a return to 2010 numbers in Scotland they would be a shoe in. I accept that the polls say that will not happen.

Oh, I don't deny that with 30+ Scottish seats Labour would be the biggest party, although that didn't happen in 2010.

No you are assuming (possibly correctly, but still assuming) that there is no way the Tories can make it to power either alone or with LD etc support.   If (Lord help us) The Sun does cause a swing, then the Tories could make it anyway.  Added to that is the liklihood of a swing to the Tories at the end of the campaign if UKIP voters decide to vote tactically to keep Labour out.

Whether the Tories can make it into power alone or with the help of the LD's is irrelevant.  Scottish seats going from Labour to SNP isn't going to affect that.

doctor jambo

TBF that is what Davidson has been saying all along, sort of half from the announced cuts/caps and half from getting people out of benefits back to work (historically not something the Conservatives have been very good at).

I think Osborne is scared to say it as he will be challenged on why he has missed all his targets and failed to do this in the last five years, he can only blame the last Labour government for so long..........

Or he may be forced to explain why "austerity" has meant an increase in public spending and why they did not do this long ago

And why when the young working are in poverty they guarantee rises for many wealthy pensioners ( some of whom live abroad)- which is absurd

deesidejambo

Oh, I don't deny that with 30+ Scottish seats Labour would be the biggest party, although that didn't happen in 2010.

Whether the Tories can make it into power alone or with the help of the LD's is irrelevant.  Scottish seats going from Labour to SNP isn't going to affect that.

Nope.   The only way the Tories can make it into power alone or with LD is by the Scottish seats all going to SNP, hence removing 50 Labour seats from the equation.   If they all went to Labour then Labour would likely win the UK election.   So th  Tories are enjoying the situation in Scotland.

This will be your downfall. Store the thought away for now.

No chance,one thing that's been very noticeable on JKB is the sheer desperation from the Unionists,it's reeking out big time,yet we SNP voters are cool calm and collected,it really is a sight to behold.

Like I said previously on here,I'll be very happy if we get 45 seats,my old buddy who's fairy high ranking in the SNP said it will be either 49/50 seats at the final count,who am I to argue with him.

Nope.   The only way the Tories can make it into power alone or with LD is by the Scottish seats all going to SNP, hence removing 50 Labour seats from the equation.   If they all went to Labour then Labour would likely win the UK election.   So th  Tories are enjoying the situation in Scotland.

Disagree.

Labour won 41 seats in Scotland in 2010.  Add those to projections in rUK and Labour are still short.

If the SNP win all seats, then you can take the 11 LibDem seats away from and ConDem coalition numbers.  Plus the single Tory seat too.

Of course the Tories are enjoying the situation in Scotland as it weakens Labour, but the Tories fortune will only be decided by how they perform in England.  Ergo, the Scottish seats are of little concern UNLESS they were to go Tory (which they obviously will not).  SNP strength, as mentions weakens the current coalition as it will reduce Lib Dem seats - whom the Tories it would seem will need.

Either way, if the Tories do well in England and can win outright or form a coalition with the LD's/UKIP/DUP this has nothing to do with the SNP winning Labour seats.  It's about Labour being unable to convince the electorate in England.

Sillars saying what we all knew - a second referendum will be in the 2016 manifesto.

Stop the press. Shockeroonie etc etc

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/SNP/11563422/SNP-will-propose-new-independence-vote-next-year-former-deputy-leader-says.html

Put that ?10 aside, Dundas

Ha! So Sillars is the font of all knowledge now?

He is speculating and whilst he may well be correct, he is guessing.

Unless he has some role in deciding SNP policy that I am unaware of, of course.

Clonlara Erin

No chance,one thing that's been very noticeable on JKB is the sheer desperation from the Unionists,it's reeking out big time,yet we SNP voters are cool calm and collected,it really is a sight to behold.

Like I said previously on here,I'll be very happy if we get 45 seats,my old buddy who's fairy high ranking in the SNP said it will be either 49/50 seats at the final count,who am I to argue with him.

40-45 seats will be a fantastic return. People (not you) are in danger of getting ahead of themselves because of these recent polls. Polls are polls. It's votes that count and as said above, I expect a lot of people to swing to Labour on polling day.

I'd be utterly astonished (but delighted), if we return 49/50.

Edited by Clonlara Erin

deesidejambo

Nicola just been asked at FMQs about that and has refused to disagree with it.

thankfully your view is not shared by the vast majority of the Scottish and even British public. This thread is being taken over by the SNP haters and it's quite funny to see the level of hatred you have for Sturgeon and the SNP. Hope you all have a lovely 8th of May

It's quite understandable though,pre September 18th their scare tactics worked to a treat,scare the old people,use the rags as method of worrying any 50/50 voters,get the Unionists and OO to scream,have idiots like Jackie Bird and Kay Burley twist the facts,bring up the gestapo from England,get a has been,Gordon Brown to talk utter shite,all in all it worked a treat and I take my hat off to them.

This time though,the same tactics have been sunk by a tidal wave of euphoria from the Scottish public,still awaiting The Vow,which is a dead duck,people ain't stupid,well except for a few clowns on here by the looks of things,they KNOW it's all over for them,such is life.

TheMaganator

:lol:

He is wired into the SNP. I don't know why SNP types cant just accept that this is what's happening? We all know it. Nothing has ever been clearer. 

At least Captain Boycott is prepared to admit it. 

deesidejambo

It's quite understandable though,pre September 18th their scare tactics worked to a treat,scare the old people,use the rags as method of worrying any 50/50 voters,get the Unionists and OO to scream,have idiots like Jackie Bird and Kay Burley twist the facts,bring up the gestapo from England,get a has been,Gordon Brown to talk utter shite,all in all it worked a treat and I take my hat off to them.

This time though,the same tactics have been sunk by a tidal wave of euphoria from the Scottish public,still awaiting The Vow,which is a dead duck,people ain't stupid,well except for a few clowns on here by the looks of things,they KNOW it's all over for them,such is life.

Lets revisit this post when Eck gets his bubble burst in Gordon.

Bit of embarrassment for Danny Alexander now, turns out the document he's been referring to with the Tory child benefit cut plans was actually a policy options document commissioned by him.

Also it's a bit shameful of Alexander on this one actually in my view, they were policy options that were not picked-up, it's not a policy the Tories were trying to drive through which the Lib Dems blocked. I suspect in policy options a whole range of bonkers things are put on the table as possibilities and then quickly discarded, or amended.

I guess it is who you believe, but that claim is being disputed by the LD's saying Osborne's comment that " a three-year-old document of policy options commissioned by the Chief Secretary Danny Alexander himself" is not true.

Interesting!

TheMaganator

Did your mate predict a Yes win?

:lol:

He is wired into the SNP. I don't know why SNP types cant just accept that this is what's happening? We all know it. Nothing has ever been clearer. 

At least Captain Boycott is prepared to admit it. 

Naturally

You did read the article in the Torygraph?

The bit where it said there was no timetable...

If there were to be another referendum, I suspect you are looking at 5 years hence.  Who knows where we will be by then!  and, it would also require an SNP majority, or at least SNP/Green coalition at Holyrood to get that through.

As a Tory, I'm surprised you aren't jumping for joy at Sillers comments.  After all, a second defeat for Indy would bury it, IMO.  And, if people ARE tired of it (despite polls showing 50+% intending on voting SNP) then they will vote accordingly at Holyrood again killing the issue.

Instead of vilifying it, you should be embracing it!

40-45 seats will be a fantastic return. People (not you) are in danger of getting ahead of themselves because of these recent polls. Polls are polls. It's votes that count and as said above, I expect a lot of people to swing to Labour on polling day.

I'd be utterly astonished (but delighted), if we return 49/50.

Good post,there will be a lot of nervous MP's and MSP's next week,many may never see inside Westminster again and it's last chance saloon for them.

As for the above picture of Nicola,I saw one last night which was disgusting,the work of children.....I don't think so.

The SNP will get a majority at Holyrood next year, no doubt about it.

Whether an immediate Referendum would get a Yes vote, the last polls suggested support was down to 41%, so they would still have work to do.

Edited by freddiemac

Yes, I do know.

The line 'the bigger the lie, the more people will believe it' would normally spring to mind in this scenario.

In this case however, the poor dear doesn't even understand the lie that she's spouting. And the vast majority of SNP voters appear to be equally in the dark or just don't care.

Seems like one mass act of ritual seppuku/Jonestown massacre about to occur on May 7th as voters happily cut their own throats in order to get one over on 'Labour.'

If they think the Tories are going to reward them for it after in some way they've got another think coming.

Mintit. :)

Whats with the enigma act, whit you up tae.

Edited by aussieh