Rangers fans rioting in Manchester ( merged )

vegas-voss

• Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'M IBRAHIM TALL

Even when the world has actual proof via CCTV, these idiots still cant handle the fact their fans have disgraced them (and us as a country some would suggest)

As for the SPL, whether they like to believe it or not, this shower have been helping Rangers more than anyone could ever believe.

As ridicoulas as thier claims are, it would be far more unbelievable if the manky ******* edgar had said "Yes our fans were out of order last night and we were beaten over 90 minutes by the better team" Now that would be a story

vegas-voss
See,thats where you are WRONG,the BBC showed them rioting and jumping a Policeman,they blamed the people there not the TV breaking down,even the Manchester police are telling the press that it was a very small minority who caused the bother and the reporters agreed,they even went as far to say(in so many words) that it probably would have kicked of regardless.

So once again don't blame a national constitution for trying to cover up for the OF.

**** sake when you have 100,000 people there it's going to be a small minority but in the sky footage it looks like a mob of 500-600 piling down that street pushing the police back.And it is always a small minority even when England fans kick off at big tournaments still aint right.

God i hope Rangers are kicked out of europe for this, if they can't control their fans then they shouldn't be put in a position like europe where they travel.

I don't care what happened to the big screen, what the police did or any of that other nonsense they come up with as an excuse, there is NO excuse for simply letting themselves get into such a filthy mess, ****ing all over the place and behaving like bloody animals nevermind the rioting itself.

Before

dignity.jpg

After

r4te1.png

:)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The cry was NO SURRENDER!!!!

:4_1_111::4_1_111::4_1_111:

flecktimus
The footage from the Sky page and that crowd attacking the policeman...my god...it actually made me feel sick...

Yes, it was expected by most of us...but as others have pointed out, there's little to be pleased about. They might confuse the issue with their UJs, English 'rugby' songs and flute playing antics...but at the end of the day, most people down south don't really get what the hell they're about - they just think they're weird, horrible, drunken Scots. And they'd be absolutely right.

We know they're a different breed, but the rest of the world doesn't.

:sad:

You are absolutely spot on. I live down England and out walking the dog today one guy brought up the subject of the Rangers fans waving union jacks and he thought it was very patriotic:eek:

I enlighten him and he doesn't think they are very patriotic any more

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
Before

dignity.jpg

After

r4te1.png

:)

Brilliant.

Hope the police gave him a good battering back at the station. :)

See,thats where you are WRONG,the BBC showed them rioting and jumping a Policeman,they blamed the people there not the TV breaking down,even the Manchester police are telling the press that it was a very small minority who caused the bother and the reporters agreed,they even went as far to say(in so many words) that it probably would have kicked of regardless.

So once again don't blame a national constitution for trying to cover up for the OF.

He said Scottish media, not the BBC. I'm assuming he's referring to Scotland Today, The Sun, Daily Record etc....

After last nights, antics, and with the club having "previous", is there any chance of a European ban?

If so, where would the European place go? Would it remain in Scotland or go elsewhere?

Could Motherwell potentially be bumped up to a Champions League qualifier?

He said Scottish media, not the BBC. I'm assuming he's referring to Scotland Today, The Sun, Daily Record etc....

It was on Scotland today,as for the papers that was lastnights news,I'm sure tomorrow's paper's will tell a different story,all the facts were not out in public when the papers were printed.

Regardless of what you or I might think just now nobody knows who was lifted ,what nationality they were and were they really Zenit or Rangers fans that caused all the bother.

There could and more than likely be lots of fans caught up in something that they were not part off,it happens all the time,most off us bound to have seen this happen before at games.

You are absolutely spot on. I live down England and out walking the dog today one guy brought up the subject of the Rangers fans waving union jacks and he thought it was very patriotic:eek:

I bet he doesn't....I bet there were some very bemused people in Manchester over the past few days.

The Future's Maroon

Personally I doubt it, but you never know?

I just saw the scenes on tv and its shocking behaviour.

No,that was small scale to what happens all over Europe,45 or so arrests out off 150'000 is not to bad IMO.

No,that was small scale to what happens all over Europe,45 or so arrests out off 150'000 is not to bad IMO.

Disagree that it was small scale - looked like some pretty serious disturbance if you ask me, and definately worthy of some kind of punishment for the club.

But..... it wont result in a European ban I wouldnt have thought.

Just getting some feed back from a mate who is a Rangers ST holder and he said it was early in the day when he knew there would be bother with an element of the travelling 'fans'. He said it was like Glasgow fair week at Blackpool with many not even interested in the football and just down on a booze up with their buckie and cheap cider.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

They should get a ban.

The thing that might get them off the hook is how close the final venue was to their own ground. They could argue that they had an unfair disadvantage compared to most Euro final clubs because they had over 100,000 people there who didn't have tickets.

45 arrests?

Only because the police were out fecking numbered, there were hundreds of them at it.

super_vlad

You have to love youtube ! All the mogos will be posting thier videos on the site today, hope they all get done for their actions ! How daft to you have to be, first film it then post it for the police to gather all the eviendence they need !

It would be interesting to find out ow many arrested were atcually english men ? its a know fact that the ranager support is in caahoots with a lot of the **** english causels still going about.

super_vlad
It was on Scotland today,as for the papers that was lastnights news,I'm sure tomorrow's paper's will tell a different story,all the facts were not out in public when the papers were printed.

Regardless of what you or I might think just now nobody knows who was lifted ,what nationality they were and were they really Zenit or Rangers fans that caused all the bother.

There could and more than likely be lots of fans caught up in something that they were not part off,it happens all the time,most off us bound to have seen this happen before at games.

Sorry, not one single report has suggested that the russians were involved with the police or the ranagers fans !

And to think there were folk on here wishing rangers all the best and expressing their pride at having a "scottish" team in the final......

SHAMEFUL.

You have to be kidding....

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
A very good question. It comes down, I think, to reputations: how the media are likely to report certain incidents, and how much of a desire exists among the supporters to retain a good reputation in front of the watching world.

So Celtic fans, because they have an excellent reputation, are much more self-policing when travelling abroad. Equally though, because of said reputation, journalists are likely to treat any trouble as an isolated exception, or even just drunken high jinks. Much the same exists with the followers of Scotland or Ireland: they're there for a party, but because their image is so positive, are regarded as harmless, friendly and jovial, even when flashpoints occasionally occur (as is inevitable when heavy consumption of alcohol is involved, not to mention the reality that every club or national team will have at least a few idiots following them).

Rangers' situation, though, is very different. Partly because their politics are so increasingly out of synch with the way the world is going, and partly because they have such a grim reputation abroad, I think there's more than an element of them behaving as if on the defensive, lashing out as part of a siege mentality that exists within the whole club, and arguably, the whole Orange movement. Moreover, because they view themselves as British (or even English), some of their more rabid lunatics clearly aspire to emulating English fans - or to put it more accurately, English hooligans.

For decades, English supporters have been forced to deal with authorities, supporters or thugs either fearful, suspicious of, or wanting to confront their reputation, even though things have got so much better over the past 15 years or so: we're eternally paying for the crimes of previous generations. And because hooliganism is seen as the "English disease", hooligan or far right elements at other European clubs (most notably, Feyenoord) seem to model themselves on the very worst English louts, ie. being an overweight skinhead with multiple tattoos, who makes Nazi or fascist salutes, drinks not to have fun, but to have a punch-up, and is quite liable to bottle you if you even have the temerity to "look at them funny".

They're copying a caricature, in other words - and the more fearful this makes others, the more negatively things are reported, and the more harsh is the authorities' response: meaning the fans just close in on themselves, making trouble ever more likely. Treat people like animals, and eventually they'll just behave as such. How much either Celtic or Rangers' fans' image bears up to scrutiny, I honestly don't know: as the old saying goes, "get a reputation as an early riser, and you can stay in bed til noon". But in sum, Celtic supporters, Irish fans or the Tartan Army are viewed in a positive light, so have much more reason to behave in a positive, friendly way; Rangers or England supporters, quite the reverse.

Cracking answer, shaun. And got to say I agree.

The other thing I thought might make a difference - and this is a seriously crude generalisation - is that Rangers have always struck me as being 'anti' something, whereas Celtic are more 'pro' something. Could be a lot of crap, but when your foundations are built on hatred rather than pride it stands to reason that violence is more likely.

They should get a ban.

The thing that might get them off the hook is how close the final venue was to their own ground. They could argue that they had an unfair disadvantage compared to most Euro final clubs because they had over 100,000 people there who didn't have tickets.

The standard policy for all European games is for clubs to advise that fans without tickets should not travel. As far as I am aware, Rangers gave no such advice to their fans. In addition, Manchester positively encouraged fans to turn up without tickets - a ridiculous thing to do given the less than perfect reputation of both clubs fans.

The thugs causing havoc in Manchester are the principal culprits in all of this, but both Rangers and Manchester City Council must also shoulder some of the blame. It may even transpire that the police have some responsibility, but that will only become apparent after the expected enquiries have taken place.

IMHO, I don't think that Rangers will be banned, but there is certainly the possibility that they will be given a final warning by UEFA.

troonjambo

no way they will get a ban unless the stabbing took place inside the ground after all sod all happened to the turks after the leeds boys got murdered

Has there been any official statement regarding the behaviour of the glasgow rangers supporters, from either glasgow rangers themselves, the SFA or UEFA?

cosanostra
Cracking answer, shaun. And got to say I agree.

The other thing I thought might make a difference - and this is a seriously crude generalisation - is that Rangers have always struck me as being 'anti' something, whereas Celtic are more 'pro' something. Could be a lot of crap, but when your foundations are built on hatred rather than pride it stands to reason that violence is more likely.

Interesting point.

Part of the reason i have so little time for Rangers is the fact their fans are so full of hate. Everything they stand for is aimed at bringing down others and promoting disharmony and division. You only have to look at the fans faces last night and see their expressions contorted with alcohol and hatred. Rangers FC is a horrible institution that seems to bring out the worst in the worst elements of Scottish society. I honestly never thought that i would ever be embarrassed to be Scottish, but it's happened. This whole episode really is a sad reflection of our country.

super_vlad
I thought i would look at what that knuckle scraper Edgar had to say before and after last nights game? Priceless

"Speaking of which, the attitude of Greater Manchester Police has been pathetic. Rangers fans have behaved magnificently on our travels this season and deserve to be treated with the respect others enjoy. As for their laughable insistence that fans without tickets should stay at home, I'd simply like to say that I'd prefer it if our law enforcement visited Planet Earth more often. There will be 100,000 Bears there - deal with it. And roll on next Wednesday - I simply cannot wait!"

David Edgar

Wow I hate to see them badly behaved?

Then this about the SPL:

SPL 'Not Welcome' In Manchester

Wednesday, 07 May 2008

In light of their pathetic, though sadly predictable, refusal to in any way help Rangers in their quest to deliver a European trophy to Scotland, we would like to make it clear that the Rangers Support will find it wholly unacceptable if any representative of the SPL was to attend this match in an official capacity. Through exposing the bitter and cowardly hand of hidden forces that permeates and controls Scottish football, the SPL have made it clear that Rangers FC are treated differently from other clubs in the same league, a fact addressed by Sir David Murray yesterday and by several neutrals in the Press today.

To any representatives of the SPL, we say simply this; Do not come - you are not welcome.

I think the People of Manchester express the same thoughts!!!!!!!!!!!

100 % behind him here ! So when will Mr murry be receiving his fine for his comments !

Manchester Mopping Up

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This just came down the wires:

MANCHESTER MOPPING UP OPERATION UNDERWAY

by Scott Hack

Scottish media sources announced a major mop-up operation will follow events in Manchester last night when drunken Rangers fans, enraged by defeat in the UEFA Cup Final, rampaged throughout the city rioting with police, terrifying local residents, chanting offensive and racist songs and damaging millions of pounds of property in the city?s commercial and business sectors.

?There?s a lot of cleaning up to do,? said one prominent media spokesman. ?It?s essential that we act now before people work out for themselves what really happened,? he added.

Explaining the operation, Terry McHun of the Scottish Press Association, said, ?We can?t have people across Britain thinking we ? em, I mean ? they are just a mob of violent, bigoted drunks. You can expect some serious media whitewashing over the next few days.?

Rangers can count on their massive informal and ?unpaid? public relations network, most of which is to be found employed in the Scottish media, to win the battle of hearts and minds. ?Everything at our disposal will be thrown at the job,? said Ted McWeehalfnahalf of the Daily Weegie. ?Expect to hear and read the words ?small minority? a lot over the next few days,? he announced confidently.

One hack on the ground, who preferred not to be shamed (Em, shouldn?t that be ?named' -- Ed.) said, ?I was there ? ahem, in a professional capacity, of course ? and it was like Beirut! But I was totally impressed by the response of my bosses as the situation developed. The first thrown bottle had hardly smashed when my editor was on the phone telling me to make sure I got the words ?tiny minority? into my report.?

Chic Hun, another sympathetic journo, was equally impressed. ?I submitted my copy down the line with the words ?Angry, drunken neds clashed with Manchester Police? in the first paragraph,? he said. ?But by the time it hit the presses that had been edited to read ?Heavy-handed Manchester police waded into young Scottish fans??.

A spokesman for BBC Glasgow, the organisation informally known as BBC Scotland, emphasised the political dimension. ?Thank God, this didn?t happen before the Commonwealth Games vote! It was hard enough being a corrupt, violent, impoverished, third world city without this,? said tired and emotional Clyde supporter (Ha ha! ? Ed.) Dougie Dunearly. A later source confirmed, Dougie meant ?beating? instead of ?being?.

The whitewashing started early in Glasgow?s famous Press Bar, where confidence was high despite the enormity of the task in hand. There was even room for a wee bit Glesgae humour when one hack shouted across the room to an old mate, ?Hard lines last night, Sandy! Can I get you a drink to drown your sorrows?? To which, quick as a flash, our Sandy answered. ?No worries, Shug. Just make mine a treble!?

Admittedly I stole this from our friends on

http://www.wedontlikeeachotherbutatleastwecanbehaveourselves.net

Good to see that we can both agree on a hatred for some erseholes...

The Old Tolbooth

Nice work agent Fleck :D

fifejambo148

if the polis dug did bite the greetin hun perhaps a vist to a good vet may be required for the dug's safety. Looks like he surrendered before greetin for his mummy

The standard policy for all European games is for clubs to advise that fans without tickets should not travel. As far as I am aware, Rangers gave no such advice to their fans. In addition, Manchester positively encouraged fans to turn up without tickets - a ridiculous thing to do given the less than perfect reputation of both clubs fans.

The thugs causing havoc in Manchester are the principal culprits in all of this, but both Rangers and Manchester City Council must also shoulder some of the blame. It may even transpire that the police have some responsibility, but that will only become apparent after the expected enquiries have taken place.

IMHO, I don't think that Rangers will be banned, but there is certainly the possibility that they will be given a final warning by UEFA.

The police said from the outset they did NOT want ticketless fans in the city.

When it became obvious that half of Glasgow was going to descend any way , what choice did they have in the end ?

The naivety of the Scottish media in this episode is alarming. Anyone would have thought this was 100,000 (or whatever) boyscouts going to a Jamboree instead of a club whose supporters have a lot of 'history' in England descending on a city that could not possibly cope with an invasion of that size. As I have posted before , if this had been 100,00 Mancs or Scousers descending on Glasgow do you really think the Scottish media would take the attitude it has so far to events in Manchester.

As for the ban : if they don't get banned it's gonna send out one helluva message. Feyenoord got banned for a lot less. Although I wouldn't be surprised to see UEFA give out a 'final warning'.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
Interesting point.

Part of the reason i have so little time for Rangers is the fact their fans are so full of hate. Everything they stand for is aimed at bringing down others and promoting disharmony and division. You only have to look at the fans faces last night and see their expressions contorted with alcohol and hatred. Rangers FC is a horrible institution that seems to bring out the worst in the worst elements of Scottish society. I honestly never thought that i would ever be embarrassed to be Scottish, but it's happened. This whole episode really is a sad reflection of our country.

It might just be my perception - I can't think of that much evidence that suggests one is better than the other.

But, if you ever have a spare 20 mins, have a wee trawl through some Bebo profiles of Rangers and Celtic fans. The Rangers ones tend to be filled with stuff that is nothing to do with football, whereas the Celtic ones tend mostly to be only about football, and their team. Just an observation.

merseyjambo

Can't be bothered reading through all the posts but as someone on duty yesterday afternoon, I can say that Rangers fans are completely beneath contempt.

Most had been drinking non stop from when they arrived on Tuesday night. By mid afternoon Wednesday, they were absolutely bladdered.

Until the screens broke down, the worst had been a few fans gettin rolled for their tickets or Drunk & Disorderly apart from that it was relatively good natured. The screen was the catalyst for what happened after that.

That was when the bottles and cans were getting thrown which was when police got involved. The police were from the Tactical Aid Unit who were kitted up in battle dress and NATO helmets. This is TAUs normal uniform. The NATO helmets have visors and are designed to reduce the impact of rocks, bottles and other objects from causing a serious head injury.

From there they started fighting with anyone, including themselves.

I tried to split up a group of about half a dozen, the next thing there were about 30 round me. When all you have is a baton, your odds ain't good. You had clowns on mobile phones filming it because big bad police officer has his baton drawn among group of angelic Rangers fans.

2 of the group got locked up.

After the game, buses were trashed, shops looted, police vehicles and ambulances damaged. At one point, one of the streets leading out of the City Centre was a no go area because of the number of fans with missiles. In that street, the helicopter could see a male on the ground not moving. When police moved in to assist the casualty, they had to withdraw because they came under heavy attack.

It was also a similar story at Picadilly and in numerous bars and clubs.

I see footage freom CCTV and the helicopter has been released to the media. Maybe it will shut the Scottish media up about bully boy tactics by the police.

cosanostra
It might just be my perception - I can't think of that much evidence that suggests one is better than the other.

But, if you ever have a spare 20 mins, have a wee trawl through some Bebo profiles of Rangers and Celtic fans. The Rangers ones tend to be filled with stuff that is nothing to do with football, whereas the Celtic ones tend mostly to be only about football, and their team. Just an observation.

My experience of Old Firm fans are similar and I live in Glasgow so know plenty.

The Rangers fans are truly horrible and seem to revel in hatred and being thick. There are obviously a lot of Celtic fans like that as well, just not on the same scale as Rangers. Like i said, Rangers seems to bring out the worst people.

Can't be bothered reading through all the posts but as someone on duty yesterday afternoon, I can say that Rangers fans are completely beneath contempt.

Most had been drinking non stop from when they arrived on Tuesday night. By mid afternoon Wednesday, they were absolutely bladdered.

Until the screens broke down, the worst had been a few fans gettin rolled for their tickets or Drunk & Disorderly apart from that it was relatively good natured. The screen was the catalyst for what happened after that.

That was when the bottles and cans were getting thrown which was when police got involved. The police were from the Tactical Aid Unit who were kitted up in battle dress and NATO helmets. This is TAUs normal uniform. The NATO helmets have visors and are designed to reduce the impact of rocks, bottles and other objects from causing a serious head injury.

I tried to split up a group of about half a dozen, the next thing there were about 30 round me. When all you have is a baton, your odds ain't good. You had clowns on mobile phones filming it because big bad police officer has his baton drawn among group of angelic Rangers fans.

After the game, buses were trashed, shops looted, police vehicles and ambulances damaged. At one point, one of the streets leading out of the City Centre was a no go area because of the number of fans with missiles. In that street, the helicopter could see a male on the ground not moving. When police moved in to assist the casualty, they had to withdraw because they came under heavy attack.

I see footage freom CCTV and the helicopter has been released to the media. Maybe it will shut the Scottish media up about bully boy tactics by the police.[/QUOTE]

Maybe it will but I'll bet it stops well short of the condemnation the 'fans' deserve.

The Old Tolbooth

I see footage freom CCTV and the helicopter has been released to the media. Maybe it will shut the Scottish media up about bully boy tactics by the police.

I've watched a lot of the footage from the events yesterday and have to say that I thought the police were very tolerant, they didn't just wade in like they do at Parkhead and start being bully boys, they took a fair bit of provocation before finally responding.

I really hope you took the opportunity to batter a couple of Rangers fans with your baton for all the crap that we've had to suffer from them over the years too mate ;)

As for the ban : if they don't get banned it's gonna send out one helluva message. Feyenoord got banned for a lot less. Although I wouldn't be surprised to see UEFA give out a 'final warning'.

Maybe this will be how Levein and Dundee Utd get some karma back.

Rangers banned from Europe next season, Motherwell get the 2nd CL Spot and Dundee Utd finish 4th to clinch UEFA Cup...

Sound too crazy?

i've been trawling through a fair few messageboards at work (pretty slow day lol) and to be fair to the Ingurlish lads, they are on the whole acknowledging that that bunch of numpties are not representative of Scottish football/society as a whole. Really hope that those disgusting scenes from last night don't impact other future fixtures between Scots/English clubs but alas I think they will....

Also found this on Liverpoolway forum - fairly interesting read....

what really happened last night

It was always a disaster waiting to happen. What amazes me is that every time there's so much "wise after the event" nonsense.

Wouldn't want to be a Chelsea or Man U fan going out to Moscow next week. I bet the legendarily tolerant Moscow police have been glued to their tellys.

Makes you wonder how many of the fans that even have tickets will make it outside of the holding pens - sorry, entertainment zones - that they'll inevitably set up now.

Maybe it will but I'll bet it stops well short of the condemnation the 'fans' deserve.

I see the main page of The Scotsman's website is blaming the violence on "UEFA Cup fans".

What the **** is a UEFA Cup fan? Is it someone who goes to UEFA Cup matches no matter who's playing?

Ivan Drago

I would disagree strongly, from people's pages i've look at it, its the Celtic ones who have pictures of machine guns and messages of support for the IRA and ETA.

Again thats just my observation, i imagine in reality they're both as bad as each other.

The Old Tolbooth
I see the main page of The Scotsman's website is blaming the violence on "UEFA Cup fans".

What the **** is a UEFA Cup fan? Is it someone who goes to UEFA Cup matches no matter who's playing?

A fantastic chance for an Edinburgh paper to stick the boot into weedgie filth, rather than the other way around for a change, and the actually defend them ffs!!!

UEFA cup fan indeed! Weedgie trash more like!

One thing that's come out of this as clear as day is that Scottish society is rotten to the core with people who'll bend over backwards to make up excuses for Rangers and their supporters no matter what they've done. The press, the radio, television, grubby politicians either protecting their beloved Rangers or worse still fishing for votes (step forward Mr. Salmond). It's not just the referees that are corrupt, it's a large section of our society.

i've been trawling through a fair few messageboards at work (pretty slow day lol) and to be fair to the Ingurlish lads, they are on the whole acknowledging that that bunch of numpties are not representative of Scottish football/society as a whole. Really hope that those disgusting scenes from last night don't impact other future fixtures between Scots/English clubs but alas I think they will....

Also found this on Liverpoolway forum - fairly interesting read....

what really happened last night

Jeeze, that's a VERY interesting read....

Surely the organisers wouldn't really have been that stupid? The potential for riots if Rangers were to score was always going to be infinitely less than if they hadn't shown the game at all. I can't believe anyone would make that decision and think it was sensible.... :eek:

bean counter

IIRC The manchester police did initally say if you don't have a ticket don't travel.

From Times OnlineMay 15, 2008

This blight on Rangers Graham Spiers

This is a sensitive subject for Rangers. The club has begged Scottish reporters and editors to play it all down, because it "harms the image" of Glasgow and Scotland. Rangers themselves have hired a PR agency over the last two years, asked to perform what is euphemistically called "damage limitation" when it comes to these repeated embarrassments for the club. The PR boys have a tough job.

As the piece from the times points out the media have, for too long, been keen to play down any problems associated with the Rangers support.

cosanostra

Surely the organisers wouldn't really have been that stupid? The potential for riots if Rangers were to score was always going to be infinitely less than if they hadn't shown the game at all. I can't believe anyone would make that decision and think it was sensible.... :eek:

Sure was interesting.

I actually felt worried for the writer's safety just reading that. I would have ripped the jacket and tie off and binned them at the fist hint of trouble and told them to stick their jobs.

i'd love to hear that thought process that came up with that gem (if true)...how on earth anyone would think that 20000 drunken fans would quietly 'disperse' after waiting to see the game only to be told its not on is beyond me....

but in saying that - is it one of these things thats too crazy to be false??

Archived