Top Posters In This Topic

• Victorian

• Sten Guns

• cosanostra

• Tazio

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

AngleParkMenace

I’m looking at a breitling emergency. It’s 45mm, does anyone know if it will be much bigger than my seamaster? I’ve not got the biggest wrists 

Thats a big watch. Also worth finding out what the lug to lug measurement is as that can be a bigger factor in terms of your wrist width in relation to the size.

• 3 months later...
jack D and coke

Anybody bought any of these AAA replica watches? Some of them look great and come boxed with the papers etc. Even guarantees with some of them. Selling around £100. 

46 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Anybody bought any of these AAA replica watches? Some of them look great and come boxed with the papers etc. Even guarantees with some of them. Selling around £100. 

You do get certain very good quality replicas of some of the prestige marques.    Watches that would be worth having in their own right.     I highly suspect that anything costing £100 is likely to be a £50 quality,   cheap Chinese movement,   shoddily cased bit of tat.      

Buy a £200 Seiko instead.   It is what it is.

jack D and coke
23 minutes ago, Victorian said:

You do get certain very good quality replicas of some of the prestige marques.    Watches that would be worth having in their own right.     I highly suspect that anything costing £100 is likely to be a £50 quality,   cheap Chinese movement,   shoddily cased bit of tat.      

Yeah more than likely...

They look great but like you say cheap shit parts no doubt. 

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

I bought a fake Rolex 2nd hand in a tat shop in NYC a couple of years back for a laugh. Including changing the bracelet out for a leather strap it cost me $25. Dreadful copy and feels cheap and flimsy. Rather annoyingly it keeps better time than some proper pieces I own. 

I've had a real sub and a cheapish copy.    The copy was ok in it's own right but the real one was obviously quality.    Older subs are pretty plain looking watches so are easily copied to look and feel near the real thing.

A cheapish copy will probably have a lower bph.   Maybe 18,000.    You can almost see the five beats per second on the hand.    A real Rolex movement has a smoother action.

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

A cheapish copy will probably have a lower bph.   Maybe 18,000.    You can almost see the five beats per second on the hand.    A real Rolex movement has a smoother action.

It's interesting the way the bph thing is going, I've got a Hamilton Jazzmaster with the ETA 2824 movemement which is beautiful and smooth at 28800 bph but people are now obsessed with power reserve so when the Swatch group altered that movement for the newer Hamilton and Tissot movements they slowed it down so they could double the power reserve to 80 hours. 

I'm not sure if Rolex or any of the big players would do that but Vacheron Constantin (certainly a big player!) does the twin beat perpetual calendar which can be put into special energy saving mode when you weren't wearing it so has a power reserve of around 2 months or so!!

jack D and coke
3 hours ago, Victorian said:

Look decent tho don’t they👍🏼

D357DC20-0F47-4E17-84AF-BEE171BA528A.jpeg

3FB57B88-B3DA-4CAA-AF66-18ED5A8CBBC2.jpeg

I'm not into watches at all. I've got an Armani job that was given to me as a gift. 

I've wore it about 4 times. 

Open to offers or will swap for a half decent electric guitar. haha. 

Want to get my Rotary Chronospeed up and running again. 

Strap gone and battery died about 8 years ago. 

Battery is SR626SW AND back is a screw back. After the back is off is it reasonably straight forward to change the battery? I changed battery on my old Timex Expedition a few years ago and it was relatively trouble free, other than dropping one of the wee screws on the floor.. 

Any advice on where to get batteries and back removal tool please? It's £80+ to get it done by Rotary (obviously this includes waterproofing and pressure testing) but I don't need all that, it'll literally never be in water like that and I don't have the cash to do it that way anyway. (also got a GShock that's 17 years old and needs a battery etc, I would get this sent off properly when I get the spare cash as it will be used in conditions that are a bit wet etc..)

Also looking for a nice strap.. Have 2 or 3 Animal Velcro style straps from early/mid 90's that I used to use on my watches for hill walking (loved Animal branding back then) but want something a bit more refined yet robust and suited to the watch. 

Carl Weathers

Got a Rolex Oysterdate Precision coming this week. I think it looks great and the only way I can justify owning a Rolex for the time being. 

23 minutes ago, Carl Weathers said:

Got a Rolex Oysterdate Precision coming this week. I think it looks great and the only way I can justify owning a Rolex for the time being. 

They're small mind.    Hope you don't mind a wee 35mm case.    I've had a few vintage ones and they tend to wear better on their bracelets if you're getting one with it.

Carl Weathers

Yeah, I'm slightly concerned about that! I do have slim wrists though, which helps in this instance. My 38mm Rado looks pretty big on me as a comparison. 

Unfortunately it doesn't have a bracelet and is currently on a leather strap. I'd quite like to get a real bracelet in the future but might get an aftermarket one until I find something suitable (and feel like spending more). I need to get a service and will hopefully get it in at the watchguy.

Ideally I'd get a 36mm Datejust but can't justify dropping 3k+ on a watch.

Not my wrist in the pic:

IMG-4959.jpg

Edited by Carl Weathers

10 minutes ago, Carl Weathers said:

Yeah, I'm slightly concerned about that! I do have slim wrists though, which helps in this instance. My 38mm Rado looks pretty big on me as a comparison. 

Unfortunately it doesn't have a bracelet and is currently on a leather strap. I'd quite like to get a real bracelet in the future but might get an aftermarket one until I find something suitable (and feel like spending more). I need to get a service and will hopefully get it in at the watchguy.

Ideally I'd get a 36mm Datejust but can't justify dropping 3k+ on a watch.

Not my wrist in the pic:

IMG-4959.jpg

Conversely small cased watches tend to look better on a bigger(ish) wrist.    Certainly on a strap.    Small watches need a carefully chosen strap.     Ideally something really soft and pliable so that the strap doesn't make it pull off to the outside side of the wrist.      Try looking for Pav Straps on ebay and online.    He makes unworldly quality handmade straps.   

Edited by Victorian

If you have really skinny wrists like me,   get a soft,  unbacked,  square cut handmade strap that you can crop the long side to end just beyond the underside of the wrist.    Nothing worse that excessive strap away round the outside of the wrist.     Craft knife... measure twice / cut once.

Carl Weathers

I got a Hirsch black leather strap for my 34mm Omega Geneve and it's pretty decent. 

Hopefully the strap that comes with the watch is decent and fits okay.  

Quite nervous now as it's an expensive purchase for something I've not seen in the flesh! I did a lot of looking online and reading articles though.

1 minute ago, Carl Weathers said:

I got a Hirsch black leather strap for my 34mm Omega Geneve and it's pretty decent. 

Hopefully the strap that comes with the watch is decent and fits okay.  

Quite nervous now as it's an expensive purchase for something I've not seen in the flesh! I did a lot of looking online and reading articles though.

Try to avoid stiffly backed straps.    You can probably find an aftermarket jubilee or oyster bracelet.    Another option is an NSA Novavit bracelet but you'll do well to find one with the right end links or square ends.     A leather bund strap is an option as they beef up the wearability of a small watch.

Carl Weathers

I'm thinking about an aftermarket jubilee but concerned that it's a bit naff fitting a fake bracelet to a real Rolex. At the same time, is there much point paying around £350 for a real one. 

8 minutes ago, Carl Weathers said:

I'm thinking about an aftermarket jubilee but concerned that it's a bit naff fitting a fake bracelet to a real Rolex. At the same time, is there much point paying around £350 for a real one. 

Either way you'll need to be careful the end links are correct.    Big risk on an OEM one.    A seller of aftermarket bracelets should be able to confirm conformity.

The best aftermarket ones will have sufficient removable links with solid screw links.    The screw bolts straight through the link to the other side.     Some cheap aftermarkets will have no removable links or ones that are harder to fit.    The fit and finish of a sized bracelet can vary.    Sometimes they can end up wearing awkwardly depending on the size and shape of the three-fold clasp.    

Edited by Victorian

Carl Weathers

Solid oyster bracelet is a good option,  as is a president variety.   President is a 3 row solid bracelet with rounded links but flat underside.    Also known as an endmill.    

Edited by Victorian

4 hours ago, Carl Weathers said:

I got over the justification of an Explorer on the basis that it'll hold its value and is as good as cash in the bank. You're not likely to lose much (if any) if you decide you want or need to move a Rolex on. I don't have one yet.

Carl Weathers

Good point. My wife wasn't delighted when I bought this one though and it's a modest sum for a Rolex. Maybe in a few years I'll try again and get the Datejust.

On 06/12/2019 at 17:27, Tazio said:

It's interesting the way the bph thing is going, I've got a Hamilton Jazzmaster with the ETA 2824 movemement which is beautiful and smooth at 28800 bph but people are now obsessed with power reserve so when the Swatch group altered that movement for the newer Hamilton and Tissot movements they slowed it down so they could double the power reserve to 80 hours. 

I'm not sure if Rolex or any of the big players would do that but Vacheron Constantin (certainly a big player!) does the twin beat perpetual calendar which can be put into special energy saving mode when you weren't wearing it so has a power reserve of around 2 months or so!!

Rolex increased power reserve to 70 hours (from 50 hours) with the new 32xx movements in the Sub and others without compromising on 28,800 vph. 

For those thinking of an Explorer II if entering into sports Rolex models.    I had one but it didn't seem special enough for the value.    Nothing like as special as the no date 2liner sub I had.

I'm sort of off watches just now but I'll go for an Air King II or a Milgauss next time.

11 minutes ago, Carl Weathers said:

If you don't mind me asking, do you buy and sell or do you collect?

Yeah I was buying and selling and collecting for years but have lost interest just lately.       Must have bought and sold 300 or so.     Maybe more.       My ebay account sales total is at about £50,000.     

6 hours ago, Victorian said:

For those thinking of an Explorer II if entering into sports Rolex models.    I had one but it didn't seem special enough for the value.    Nothing like as special as the no date 2liner sub I had.

I'm sort of off watches just now but I'll go for an Air King II or a Milgauss next time.

I guess we're all different. I'm no fan of the explorer 2. I love the clean dial and plain bezel on the Explorer I and it's my favourite of all their models. Air King is too busy for me, Milgauss doesn't interest me at all and the Sub is too bulky for my tastes. If pushed on the Sub though it would have to be no date. A blue dial 36mm OP would give me strong consideration.

Edited by IronJambo

30 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

I guess we're all different. I'm no fan of the explorer 2. I love the clean dial and plain bezel on the Explorer I and it's my favourite of all their models. Air King is too busy for me, Milgauss doesn't interest me at all and the Sub is too bulky for my tastes. If pushed on the Sub though it would have to be no date. A blue dial 36mm OP would give me strong consideration.

I agree.  The Explorer is a much cleaner looking watch than the Explorer II.

Subs look much,  much better off their bracelets.    The best look for most subs is on a Bond stripe nato strap.    Imo.

Carl Weathers
On 09/12/2019 at 19:08, Victorian said:

Either way you'll need to be careful the end links are correct.    Big risk on an OEM one.    A seller of aftermarket bracelets should be able to confirm conformity.

Received my watch today and I think it will be better on a bracelet. I spotted a few on ebay - what do you think of these? Probab;y would only buy if they took an offer.

My wrists are small - 6.5 inches.

1. Doesn't state length, possibly stretched and no returns. Probably will avoid:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Stainless-steel-Rolex-7835-357-folded-Links-bracelet-19mm/113970139663?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

2. Length is 160mm (6.3 inches), looks in decent nick but expensive:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1976-ROLEX-OYSTER-GENUINE-FOLDED-LINK-BRACELET-REF-7835-19-357-END-LINKS/233423577633?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

3. Better price but at 150mm might be too small (edit - think this would work size wise as watch adds another 39mm).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-1976-Rolex-Oyster-Bracelet-Daytona-Airking-Ref-7835-Ends-357-19mm/264565759056?hash=item3d99591c50:g:oxkAAOSwzpxd864d

4. This looks similar but has end links marked 557 rather than 357. Im unsure what would fit:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rolex-Oyster-78350-Bracelet-with-557-End-Links/264542244563?hash=item3d97f24ed3:g:yIgAAOSw7Zdd2BWA

Cheers

Edited by Carl Weathers

1 hour ago, Carl Weathers said:

Received my watch today and I think it will be better on a bracelet. I spotted a few on ebay - what do you think of these? Probab;y would only buy if they took an offer.

My wrists are small - 6.5 inches.

1. Doesn't state length, possibly stretched and no returns. Probably will avoid:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Stainless-steel-Rolex-7835-357-folded-Links-bracelet-19mm/113970139663?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

2. Length is 160mm (6.3 inches), looks in decent nick but expensive:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1976-ROLEX-OYSTER-GENUINE-FOLDED-LINK-BRACELET-REF-7835-19-357-END-LINKS/233423577633?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

3. Better price but at 150mm might be too small (edit - think this would work size wise as watch adds another 39mm).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-1976-Rolex-Oyster-Bracelet-Daytona-Airking-Ref-7835-Ends-357-19mm/264565759056?hash=item3d99591c50:g:oxkAAOSwzpxd864d

4. This looks similar but has end links marked 557 rather than 357. Im unsure what would fit:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rolex-Oyster-78350-Bracelet-with-557-End-Links/264542244563?hash=item3d97f24ed3:g:yIgAAOSw7Zdd2BWA

Cheers

3 x 357 end links.   These are solid end links that would tend to give a better overall fit if they conform to your watch case.    The 557 ones are the hollow type where the underside lugs fit over the underside of case lugs.  Again conformity is vital.    There might be a bit of an unsightly fit on the upper side between the case and the curve of the end link.    Solid links would tend to look better.     

None of them clearly show the number and type of any removable links.    6.5" wrist would tend to be at the shortest limit of any OEM bracelet I think.

I would keep looking at aftermarket stuff.    There's bound to be better value than dropping a few hundred quid on a bracelet which might not suit a smaller wrist.     Sizing it right down might result in the fold over clasp fitting awkwardly as well.    

I'll take a closer look though and try to do some conformity research.

Correction.   The 357 ends are also hollow I see.    You should be able to search both end types for info.    There must be some kind of difference.

2 minutes ago, Carl Weathers said:

Thanks mate, much appreciated. I'm not totally against aftermarket, although worried it might look obviously fake.

I doubt there would be any obvious fakey look about an aftermarket made with the corona marque.     There should also be sterile aftermarkets.    The vintage OEM ones are not like the same kind of quality and heft of modern watch bracelets anyway.

25 minutes ago, Carl Weathers said:

Do you know any good aftermarket retailers? All I can see are Etsy and Ebay

I can have a look.  You might need to search worldwide ebay for them.   Most likely sellers in USA,  China,  Japan, Australia.    Same applies for Internet sites.

2 hours ago, Carl Weathers said:

I know you're looking for a bracelet but I think that watch looks really good on leather. Colareb are really good

2 hours ago, Carl Weathers said:

I put up a link to an auction that were auctioning Rolex watches but it seems to have been removed. 

Edit. 

Apologies, it's on the previous page. 

Edited by Dawnrazor

Carl Weathers
1 hour ago, IronJambo said:

I know you're looking for a bracelet but I think that watch looks really good on leather. Colareb are really good

Look nice. Hirsch are pretty decent as well for straps.