Top Posters In This Topic

• Victorian

• Sten Guns

• cosanostra

• Tazio

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Victorian

Seeing as this thread has resurfaced.. I recently changed my main watch. Now have the Tudor Heritage Monte Carlo blue. I also recently bagged an unbelievable vintage chronograph in timewarp NOS condition. A Valjoux 7765 movement. It's 45 years old but looks like it's never seen the outside of a box.

cosanostra

Seeing as this thread has resurfaced.. I recently changed my main watch. Now have the Tudor Heritage Monte Carlo blue. I also recently bagged an unbelievable vintage chronograph in timewarp NOS condition. A Valjoux 7765 movement. It's 45 years old but looks like it's never seen the outside of a box.

Photos if you can be arsed please.

Would be great to see them.

Sten Guns

My mate recently picked this up second hand.

Was never a fan when looking online. But having seen it in person on a leather strap I quite like it.

Tt8Xd4R.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Where best to get a battery changed in Edinburgh in a luxury piece without it being sent for a 'full service'.

Where best to get a battery changed in Edinburgh in a luxury piece without it being sent for a 'full service'.

Believe it or not Timpson will do it perfectly well. I got bot d of my TAG Heuer going on holiday for a few weeks every time it needed a new battery so just popped into my local Timpson. Was still ?35 though.

OK, I'll give them a go.  I've had Timpson replace batteries in day-to-day watches before and they also offer a battery exchange/warranty upgrade where you can almost get a life-time warranty on a replacement battery.  I use the one at Cameron Toll.

Hopefully they will not have any issues with a more prestige piece.

Harry Potter

Bought a yellow G-Shock a month ago, 75 notes, more than enough to pay for a watch.

Joins my red Geonaute, 9.99 out of Decathlon,casio digital bought for 25 notes 4 years ago with

vouchers from my work.

A Ben sherman watch, xmas pressie, no idea of price and a Fila watch

Always been in to watches., 

And an Umbro watch out of Tescos , cost 20 pounds which at the 3rd attempt got one that worked. 

Edited by Harry Potter

I've just ordered an Orient Wingman from Amazon. I don't own a pilot style watch and managed to pick this one up for less than ?100. Looks like a more expensive watch with a nice black PVD case and a very basic black and white dial. I'll report back now it is when it arrives. Orient make pretty good watches with inhouse automatic movements and are a good alternative to Seiko and Citizen.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it arrived. It's the first Orient that I've bought though I've been thinking about one for a while. Very interesting company that makes everything inhouse. It's a 41mm which is on the very upper limit of what I can wear due to my skinny wrists. Also large watches look odd to me as I have a lot of old watches that tend to be a lot smaller. One of my favourites is actually a vintage Favre Lueba that is only 34mm. This actually looks bigger that 41mm as the dial goes very close to the edge of the case. So far very good in terms of timekeeping and the power reserve of 40 hours seems fairly conservative. I'll probably swap out the strap to a light tan one as I think that would look pretty good. The quality is excellent for the money paid for it, though the list price is $200+

571cff08be1ce0826e55279c52434cf6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well it arrived. It's the first Orient that I've bought though I've been thinking about one for a while. Very interesting company that makes everything inhouse. It's a 41mm which is on the very upper limit of what I can wear due to my skinny wrists. Also large watches look odd to me as I have a lot of old watches that tend to be a lot smaller. One of my favourites is actually a vintage Favre Lueba that is only 34mm. This actually looks bigger that 41mm as the dial goes very close to the edge of the case. So far very good in terms of timekeeping and the power reserve of 40 hours seems fairly conservative. I'll probably swap out the strap to a light tan one as I think that would look pretty good. The quality is excellent for the money paid for it, though the list price is $200+

571cff08be1ce0826e55279c52434cf6.jpg

I managed to get a nearly new  Orient Mako when in NY for $80 (?120 or so in the UK).

I think Orient make lovely watches , aesthetically very pleasing and great VFM.  

$80 for a proper divers watch with automatic movement. Great stuff. 

cosanostra

Well it arrived. It's the first Orient that I've bought though I've been thinking about one for a while. Very interesting company that makes everything inhouse. It's a 41mm which is on the very upper limit of what I can wear due to my skinny wrists. Also large watches look odd to me as I have a lot of old watches that tend to be a lot smaller. One of my favourites is actually a vintage Favre Lueba that is only 34mm. This actually looks bigger that 41mm as the dial goes very close to the edge of the case. So far very good in terms of timekeeping and the power reserve of 40 hours seems fairly conservative. I'll probably swap out the strap to a light tan one as I think that would look pretty good. The quality is excellent for the money paid for it, though the list price is $200+ 571cff08be1ce0826e55279c52434cf6.jpg

I know it's a different end of the market but i love these.

http://m.zenith-watches.com/en_en_m/pilot-type-20-extra-special.html

Amazing looking timepiece.

I like vintage Zeniths. I currently have an ultra rare Defy quartz submariner style Zenith. A very early quartz from just after the electronic / electric era.

cosanostra

Simple, stylish and it'll last a lifetime. I like it.

Tag has gotten a hard time on here in the past but they definitely make some nice stuff.

Some of the new smart watch digital looking things though.....absolutely terrible looking.

Struggle to think who would pay that amount for such shite looking kit.

Tag has gotten a hard time on here in the past but they definitely make some nice stuff.

Some of the new smart watch digital looking things though.....absolutely terrible looking.

An elegant looking time piece. 

Probably better not look at Archie on Youtube  :nozal:

I love it, your right, it is simple and stylish. 

I did think bout a TAG connected but thought, why?

cosanostra

I love it, your right, it is simple and stylish. 

I did think bout a TAG connected but thought, why?

Is that the smartwatch looking thing?

Piece of garbage that'll be obsolete in a year or two. Stick with an automatic movement and a steel bracelet and you'll still be rocking the same watch when you're a pensioner.

mrmarkus1981

I know someone who is interested in selling a couple of watches. A Rado and a Limited Edition Tag Heur Carrera (Tag is a year old).

If anyone is interested or knows where would be best to sell them let me know. Don't fancy ebay much for such expensive items!

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

• 5 months later...
11 hours ago, Hugh Phamism said:

Sweet. Nice price too. 

Where did you get it? Can’t zoom in on the retailer. 

10 hours ago, Tazio said:

Daytona for £867?

Aye right. That's maybe the price for a service.

The receipt is as Tazio indicated for a service and new crystal.

I got it at Cairncross in Perth for my 40th birthday.

My Wife said to me shortly before the big day that she had good news and bad news for me.

Good news was that I had come to the front of the Daytona waiting list.

Bad news was she couldn't afford to pay for it.

So I treated myself.

I wore it for a few years but my rough and tumble job and lifestyle and high value jewellery do

not go together.

After paying more for a service and valet than I do for my Landrover I put it back in the box with the paperwork

and all the purchase  and servicing records together with the original manufacturers packaging and put it in my safe.

My Laddie is getting it for his 21st.Unless he annoys me between now and then.

Seiko is one of the best and most respected watch manufacturers in the world.

You can easily pay £5000 to £10000 and more for a Grand Seiko automatic watch. They are the most accurate automatic watches on the market.

Seiko is perhaps better known here in the UK for its every day international releases. The Seiko 5 Automatic watch range mentioned repeatedly on this thread offers great quality at very affordable prices.

However Seiko’s Japanese Domestic Market watch releases offer a significant step up in quality over their international models.

The SARB and SARG ranges offer some fantastic quality automatic watches. These watches now available in the UK from £400 to £1000, come with Seiko’s brilliant in house movement the 6R15.  A steal considering the quality.

I have recently bought two new watches, Seiko SARB 035, Automatic and a Hamilton Khaki Quartz, both worn on NATO’s.

The linked video reviews the SARB 035.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ09OPG1d7s&list=PU0ulDfOIUVoZAhHPuCTiawg&index=25

Edited by Scout1874

13 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I'm a real fan of Seiko, next present to myself is an Alpinist, the classic green one. 

I nearly bought one, it is a great watch, but decided on the 035.

They make a white face too. Can you live with the ‘green'?

I know that its beautiful, but it is green.

I got a sapphire sandwich moonwatch recently. Got such a sweet deal on it and I've always been a fan of them. It's the one that comes in the huge box with the steel strap, the nato strap and the spacesuit velcro nato strap. Not sure how much use I'll get out of that one...

Not really worn my Tag Carrera or my Breitling since but I doubt that I'll ever sell them.

I'd quite like a fatter Monaco as I sold my little basic one a while back. It was just too small on the wrist for me. The big old Chrono ones are more my size.

I've also been looking at no date Subs but the waiting lists to buy them are ridiculous in Australia.

I really dig the bronze Zenith pilots watch and the basic 48mm Panerai manual wind as well. 

I usually limit myself to 3 nice watches but I reckon I'll have to rethink that policy next year.

I fully agree that Seiko is the greatest watchmaker.    The Swiss industry tried everything to cartel them out of the luxury market as Seiko pissed all over them for quality and accuracy.    The two can coexist though.     The Swiss for those who require the cache of buying Swiss.    The Japanese for their much greater value.    Here's one reason why..

This is not an original 6105-8110 but rather a customised recreation.     But just look at the style of it.   My old original 6105 broke.  :(

20171118_131239.jpg

You can buy a used Seiko Sumo or Samurai for not much more than £300 and they're both absolute quality.

Recently ditched my Tudor Monte Carlo as well.   That was my last mega money Swiss for a while.    I'm much more into much less costly but no less stylish pieces now.     

Recent purchases a Timefactors Precista milspec diver and a vintage Citizen Aqualand ana-digital.

19 hours ago, Scout1874 said:

I nearly bought one, it is a great watch, but decided on the 035.

They make a white face too. Can you live with the ‘green'?

I know that its beautiful, but it is green.

Bought this through Creation Watches - got stung at last at customs but it was worth it. It's a lovely watch. I was close to getting the Alpinist but didn't fancy the appearance of the two crowns. 

I've got a Seiko 5 that was recommended on here years back.

Love it but it creeps ahead quite a lot and always has done. Is this just something that happens with automatic watches or would a service fix that type of thing?

Obviously I'm not going to service a 40 quid watch but planning on splashing my annual bonus on a nice watch but do find the time creep annoying

32 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I've got a Seiko 5 that was recommended on here years back.

Love it but it creeps ahead quite a lot and always has done. Is this just something that happens with automatic watches or would a service fix that type of thing?

Obviously I'm not going to service a 40 quid watch but planning on splashing my annual bonus on a nice watch but do find the time creep annoying

How much is quite  a lot ? These aren't top end  movements and I'd probably suck it up. 

5 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

How much is quite  a lot ? These aren't top end  movements and I'd probably suck it up. 

5 minutes a day maybe, tops.

It doesn't trouble me, just trying gauge what to expect if when I take the plunge on a better watch in the near future.

11 hours ago, Taffin said:

5 minutes a day maybe, tops.

It doesn't trouble me, just trying gauge what to expect if when I take the plunge on a better watch in the near future.

I'd have returned it by now :mellow:.  I've got a Seiko SARB035 - it keeps great time and I've got an Orient  that cost me £50 and likewise it keeps great time.  Sounds like you've been sold a pup mate. 

6 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

I'd have returned it by now :mellow:.  I've got a Seiko SARB035 - it keeps great time and I've got an Orient  that cost me £50 and likewise it keeps great time.  Sounds like you've been sold a pup mate. 

I just can't be bothered in all honesty. It was bought as a stop gap when I had a more physical job.

Glad it's not the norm as I can now begin the joy of choosing a new watch to splurge my bonus on.

Anyway had good service on a high-end piece in Edinburgh recently?  I tried the advice to give Timpson a go and they almost ruined an Omega. It had to go back three times and eventually got it back in acceptable condition without scratches. 

Ive loved this thread for a while!  I bought myself an Omega for my birthday.  Pics to follow when I find out how.  Keep up the good taste guys!  Loving the Tags and the other obscure choices.

10 hours ago, Taffin said:

In regards to watches holding their value is there a minimum entry point where that becomes more true?

It doesn't really work like that IMO.

It's more to do with brand, condition and model. Rolex seem to hold their value extremely well. Buy a 2nd hand Rolex and if you get a good deal, it'll be worth the same in 10 years pretty much.

2 hours ago, cosanostra said:

It doesn't really work like that IMO.

It's more to do with brand, condition and model. Rolex seem to hold their value extremely well. Buy a 2nd hand Rolex and if you get a good deal, it'll be worth the same in 10 years pretty much.

Cheers. I'm not looking to buy for investment rather the enjoyment but if prefer it not to depreciate like a new car if possible.

13 hours ago, Taffin said:

In regards to watches holding their value is there a minimum entry point where that becomes more true?

I can't assist - i could afford a Rolex and I know they hold their value well but I wouldn't wear one at any price as i think they are hideous watches. Have you thought about looking at websites like watchuseek.com ? You can get some very useful info there.  You need to register to post (obviously) i was an active member for a while and they are a pretty friendly & helpful bunch.

On ‎18‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 17:59, NANOJAMBO said:

Bought this through Creation Watches - got stung at last at customs but it was worth it. It's a lovely watch. I was close to getting the Alpinist but didn't fancy the appearance of the two crowns. 

I have bought several watches from the company you highlight. Most recently this summer I purchased, a watch from the Seiko Presage Line.

The watch was faulty and when I contacted them for return details, they didn’t want to know.

Many frustrating and fruitless emails later, I contacted the well-known online payment company and thankfully through their resolution system received a full refund.

However as well as return payment cost and import duty tax, I was also retrospectively charged for the original postage payment. Total cost with no end product, about £60. I would never buy from them again.

2 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

I can't assist - i could afford a Rolex and I know they hold their value well but I wouldn't wear one at any price as i think they are hideous watches. Have you thought about looking at websites like watchuseek.com ? You can get some very useful info there.  You need to register to post (obviously) i was an active member for a while and they are a pretty friendly & helpful bunch.

I cannot afford a Rolex (I doubt) but I probably wouldn't choose one either if I'm honest.

Cheers, I'll check It out. I've only really just started thinking about it but I love the idea of having a cherished possession that I keep for years. 

Thanks everyone for the tips

2 hours ago, Scout1874 said:

I have bought several watches from the company you highlight. Most recently this summer I purchased, a watch from the Seiko Presage Line.

The watch was faulty and when I contacted them for return details, they didn’t want to know.

Many frustrating and fruitless emails later, I contacted the well-known online payment company and thankfully through their resolution system received a full refund.

However as well as return payment cost and import duty tax, I was also retrospectively charged for the original postage payment. Total cost with no end product, about £60. I would never buy from them again.

Unlucky bud. I've bought three times and never had a problem.  Apart from bloody customs last time around. 

Rolex from new tend to depreciate initially but begin to appreciate after around 5-10 years.    

There are watches of more modest value that will appreciate in value.    Limited run watches from certain boutique makers and crowdfunded custom one-offs.     There has been a very large increase in the number of boutique/microbrand makers over the past 10 years and there will be quite a few limited run pieces that will become future classics over the next 20 years and onwards.     It's inevitable that some will achieve market values way beyond their rrps.      I'm sure a few collectors will have had the foresight and wherewithall to accumulate such watches.    Keeping them in timewarp condition is essential of course.

Edited by Victorian