Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• Harry Potter

• iantjambo

• IronJambo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jambo 4 Ever

The shite on some sites that?s being passed off as truth/facts.

b9e2b50fae4a287191bf5014a403e210.jpg

Unbelievably gorgeous my arse!

Someone might think so

The shite on some sites that?s being passed off as truth/facts.

b9e2b50fae4a287191bf5014a403e210.jpg

Unbelievably gorgeous my arse!

I'm sure your arse is more gorgeous than Subo.

luckyBatistuta

Passed two kids on bicycles, who looked about 8/9 years old as I turned on to Bernard Terrace. When I stop up ahead in traffic near the lights, a woman who looks like about 30 years old on a bicycle stops, looks back and starts shouting kids names. Couldn't believe how far she'd went before realising they weren't there. As I get down to the lights at Hope Park Terrace, about 5 cyclists pull up and stop at the lights which have turned to red. Then the woman appears, in front of the kids still and just cycles straight through the red light and the busy junction with the kids behind and even turns around to check that they've followed her through.

On 10/4/2017 at 9:29 AM, Tazio said:

When your work don?t put your overtime through as the person covering the payroll doesn?t know how to input it.

But the same person seems to know how to take off a deduction the same week.

To be fair, inputting overtime seems well off the beaten track in terms of what you'd expect a payroll administrator to know :whistling:

Sexton Hardcastle

What's with all the Edinburgh uni going girls wearing these 'fjallraven kanken' backpacks.

its like the new Canterbury trackies or Jack Wills hoodies? Must have seen a dozen bags between the meadows and the high street today.

8 hours ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

What's with all the Edinburgh uni going girls wearing these 'fjallraven kanken' backpacks.

its like the new Canterbury trackies or Jack Wills hoodies? Must have seen a dozen bags between the meadows and the high street today.

Have you seen the price of them? When I was a student, there's no way I'd have paid that for a bag.

Captain Sausage
26 minutes ago, Helzibob said:

Have you seen the price of them? When I was a student, there's no way I'd have paid that for a bag.

Got one of the down jackets and it is sensational for the winter. 

Would never have been able to afford anything from Fjallraven when I was a student!

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

Surely rich mummy and daddy are paying for it? I know of someone (they own a few private dentists in Aberdeen) who bought their darling son a flat in the Grange for him going to Edinburgh.

21 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

Surely rich mummy and daddy are paying for it? I know of someone (they own a few private dentists in Aberdeen) who bought their darling son a flat in the Grange for him going to Edinburgh.

It's probably a decent investment provided the son doesn't destroy it. Rent from flatmates can be used to pay the mortgage and it should have appreciated in value by the time the son graduates.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
2 hours ago, Stokesy said:

It's probably a decent investment provided the son doesn't destroy it. Rent from flatmates can be used to pay the mortgage and it should have appreciated in value by the time the son graduates.

Definitely, but it shows the money behind a lot of E Uni students.

13 hours ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

I've just googled them. They look like shit and they don't appear to be particularly practical. I'm assuming they're popular because they're expensive?

Edited by Stokesy

Dagger Is Back

Education.

My daughter is getting ready for Nat 5's. Struggling a bit with Biology and Maths. 

School providing no support whatsoever so wife considering a private tutor at £32ph for 2/3 hours pw.

Absolutely bloody raging and the next parents evening is going to be fun.

She's a bright lass and having spoken to many other parents it seems like private tutoring is a highly in demand service.

Shocking that parents have to resort to using third parties

30 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Education.

My daughter is getting ready for Nat 5's. Struggling a bit with Biology and Maths. 

School providing no support whatsoever so wife considering a private tutor at £32ph for 2/3 hours pw.

She's a bright lass and having spoken to many other parents it seems like private tutoring is a highly in demand service.

We have just started sending my daughter (Primary 6) to a tutor because her maths is absolutely abysmal, even though she is apparently within the "acceptable range".

The irony is, I've seen a few adverts where tutoring companies are looking to recruit teachers, with the attraction of earning additional income. Basically, teachers will be earning extra income teaching the subject in a way that the curriculum does not allow for.

13 hours ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

A dozen bags :phface:

That's no way to,speak about poor student girls :wink:

5 hours ago, Helzibob said:

Are they not about £60 for one of the small ones?

Becoming more noticeable now - what's wrong with a Rucanor bag>???

Dagger Is Back
3 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

We have just started sending my daughter (Primary 6) to a tutor because her maths is absolutely abysmal, even though she is apparently within the "acceptable range".

The irony is, I've seen a few adverts where tutoring companies are looking to recruit teachers, with the attraction of earning additional income. Basically, teachers will be earning extra income teaching the subject in a way that the curriculum does not allow for.

Indeed and that is the other side of this coin. It's completely unacceptable. 

2 hours ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Education.

You expect the teacher to provide private tutoring for your child? What about the other 20+ kids in her class? And all the other kids in all the other classes? You can't expect teachers to dedicate special extra tuition time to every single child, it's just not feasible.

Edited by Ray Gin

Dagger Is Back
58 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

You expect the teacher to provide private tutoring for your child? What about the other 20+ kids in her class? And all the other kids in all the other classes? You can't expect teachers to dedicate special extra tuition time to every single child, it's just not feasible.

No I don't. Have I actually said that?

I believe that every child deserves all the support they need to maximise their potential in school.

A teachers job is a difficult and complex one. Some of my friends are teachers and I work with many on a regular basis. At it's heart though lies the provision of a supportive, understanding  and encouraging environment to allow future generations to flourish.

There are a number of children in her age group in the same position yet the school seem disinterested and dismissive when this is discussed with them.

We're lucky in that somehow we'll find the money. Others aren't so fortunate.

IMO we're selling these kids short.

Do you have a solution or do you not see it as an issue?

You've already found the solution. Private tutoring.

It's not the school's fault, they are limited by resources. I'm sure they'd be happy to hire extra staff if they had the funding available.

Hartleys_Jam_Tart

Two hour delay on the Virgin service from Edinburgh to Euston today. I'm not going to London, I'm going to Cheltenham area and now because of the delays and missing connections etc I won't get to the hotel until after 10pm when I should have arrived at 6.30pm.

Early start for work tomorrow and then doing the return journey at tea time. I can already feel the heavy fatigue illness setting in

1 hour ago, Hartleys_Jam_Tart said:

Two hour delay on the Virgin service from Edinburgh to Euston today. I'm not going to London, I'm going to Cheltenham area and now because of the delays and missing connections etc I won't get to the hotel until after 10pm when I should have arrived at 6.30pm.

Early start for work tomorrow and then doing the return journey at tea time. I can already feel the heavy fatigue illness setting in

You can claim.for your full fare back if over an hour late.

3 hours ago, Dagger Is Back said:

No I don't. Have I actually said that?

I believe that every child deserves all the support they need to maximise their potential in school.

A teachers job is a difficult and complex one. Some of my friends are teachers and I work with many on a regular basis. At it's heart though lies the provision of a supportive, understanding  and encouraging environment to allow future generations to flourish.

There are a number of children in her age group in the same position yet the school seem disinterested and dismissive when this is discussed with them.

We're lucky in that somehow we'll find the money. Others aren't so fortunate.

IMO we're selling these kids short.

Do you have a solution or do you not see it as an issue?

You've not actually said what solution you are looking for the school to provide. Short of additional teaching time, which of course costs the school money, I can't really see what they can do.

Dagger Is Back
4 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

You've already found the solution. Private tutoring.

It's not the school's fault, they are limited by resources. I'm sure they'd be happy to hire extra staff if they had the funding available.

That's alright for us but what about folks that can't afford it?

5 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

That's alright for us but what about folks that can't afford it?

Does the school offer any lunchtime or after-school study support?

6 minutes ago, Boof said:

I know quite a few teachers. I can't imagine that if a pupil approached any of them and asked for an extra half an hour after school, to go over something that they weren't quite grasping during class, that they would say no to that pupil. If a pupil is showing that willingness to learn then the vast majority of teachers will accommodate it.

Dagger Is Back
2 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

You've not actually said what solution you are looking for the school to provide. Short of additional teaching time, which of course costs the school money, I can't really see what they can do.

It's a tough situation for sure. Budgets are being squeezed and something has to give. 

You're right about them being limited in terms of what they can do. They can strive to improve the standard of teaching of course.

When I was as school, additional support was provided to those of us struggling with subjects. I remember sitting with a group of students all struggling with various aspects of statistics.

For me there's a group of children who are all struggling with these two subjects and I'd like the school to recognise this and engage with parents to discuss solutions

Dagger Is Back
43 minutes ago, Boof said:

Nope we've asked Boof

34 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

I know quite a few teachers. I can't imagine that if a pupil approached any of them and asked for an extra half an hour after school, to go over something that they weren't quite grasping during class, that they would say no to that pupil. If a pupil is showing that willingness to learn then the vast majority of teachers will accommodate it.

We must just be unlucky. We were told that all they could do was give extra homework which of course is no use if you can't do it in the first place.

Parents evening soon and I know that several parents are unhappy. Time to put our grievances forward as a group methinks

2 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Nope we've asked Boof

We must just be unlucky. We were told that all they could do was give extra homework which of course is no use if you can't do it in the first place.

Parents evening soon and I know that several parents are unhappy. Time to put our grievances forward as a group methinks

Has your daughter approached the teacher (s) on a one on one basis though? If a pupil shows that kind of I initiative, asking for just a bit of extra time, then any teacher worth their salt should try and help. But that depends on the level of difficulty she is having with the subject of course. Maybe more than just a wee bit 1 on 1 explaining is needed.

49 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

I think that is absolutely correct.

No decent teacher would refuse to give that wee bit extra.

Dagger Is Back
2 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Has your daughter approached the teacher (s) on a one on one basis though? If a pupil shows that kind of I initiative, asking for just a bit of extra time, then any teacher worth their salt should try and help. But that depends on the level of difficulty she is having with the subject of course. Maybe more than just a wee bit 1 on 1 explaining is needed.

Yes she has. I get the pressure that teachers are under but like you I thought she'd get the help after holding her hand up and asking for help which is a massive thing for most people to do. I know I'd find it impossible to say no to anyone who asked for help.

She's done well so far just two or three things she's struggling with.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
21 hours ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Education.

When I did maths standard grade, the teacher spent a year teaching the class the wrong (easy) level. My my parents had to fork out to pay for a tutor to bring me up to the credit level.

The teacher was an arsehole, too.

12 hours ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Yes she has. I get the pressure that teachers are under but like you I thought she'd get the help after holding her hand up and asking for help which is a massive thing for most people to do. I know I'd find it impossible to say no to anyone who asked for help.

She's done well so far just two or three things she's struggling with.

Does she particularly like Biology and Maths, or see herself going into a career or FE course that requires either? Might be worth just concentrating on nailing the subjects she's good at than wasting time on two subject that she struggles with and may never actually need.

16 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

They'd be wise if they didn't put themselves in a position of being alone with a student. 

5 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

They'd be wise if they didn't put themselves in a position of being alone with a student. 

You're probably right Iron but it's absolutely ridiculous that things have come to this.

On 10/11/2017 at 12:50, Nookie Bear said:

Are they not about £60 for one of the small ones?

Becoming more noticeable now - what's wrong with a Rucanor bag>???

Or a Ralka bag...

The wife was watching the ITV news. My attention was drawn to the news reader who, every time she pronounces an "S" the sibilant whistling noise she makes is like chalk being scratched on a blackboard.

I mean WTAF are ITV playing at, evidently they don't have anyone remotely resembling a sound engineer working for them anymore. Much as I ignore the news, even if I had the slightest inclination to watch, I couldn't possibly even focus on whatever kinda propaganda is the flavour of the day they are trying to foist on me, because of the noise. AAAAaaaargh! 

It's gone now at least...

luckyBatistuta
5 hours ago, King Of The Cat Cafe said:

People on The Terrace that "quote" posts that contain a dozen photographs :(

Aye Aye, whit aboot the shed, 

IMG_3758.JPG

King Of The Cat Cafe
9 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Aye Aye, whit aboot the shed, 

IMG_3758.JPG

Aye Aye, that exactly whit I'm talking aboot.

15 hours ago, Rousset1 said:

Or a Ralka bag...

Or the wee green bags from the old Army and Navy Store that you 'decorated' with graffiti in felt tip pen or snopake/tippex?

Some arsehole in the inside lane of a roundabout (as in the one closest to the middle) cut right across my lane, and at the very last ****ing second, to exit the roundabout without any indicators.  I had to slam on the brakes to stop him from going right into the front of my car.

See if you've ****ed up that badly and are about to miss your exit, roundabouts have this really neat feature WHERE THEY ARE ****ING CIRCULAR AND YOU CAN JUST GO RIGHT ****ING ROUND IT TO GET TO THE ****ING TURN OFF YOU WERE MEANT TO TAKE!