Scottish independence and devolution superthread

Happy Hearts

Jim_Duncan
54 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

The SG gave aid to a UN agency that provides humanitarian aid in an area of the world that most reasonable people recognises is suffering a humanitarian crisis.  Whether you think that should be a spending priority for SG (I do given the modest amounts involved in the grand scheme of things) is open for debate but that's a legitimate decision for the government to make. You are speculating about the motivations behind that decision.  Unfairly IMO. 

Similarly, I think connecting Humza with the alleged criminal activities of his ex brother in law is equally unfair. I'd be appalled if anybody connected me to the behaviour of my ex brother in law and I'm sure you have former acquaintances you feel the same about. 

Humza's judgement has proven to be poor on a number of occasions and I suspect he is a dead man walking politically speaking but your posts about him aren't exactly coming across as objective and as open to interpretation about your motivations as were his when he came out with his 'white, white, white' nonsense. 

So whether he was right or wrong, I can see where Roxy was coming from. 

You’re right. My post was misguided. 

JudyJudyJudy

There was a news item on tv last week about a day centre in Lochend Which has lunch clubs for the elderly and various other community initiatives to help those who are isolated or have mental health issues . It’s under threat of being closed . Now that’s where £750,000 would have been helpful . 

Japan Jambo
On 08/04/2024 at 20:20, The Mighty Thor said:

It's already happening. 

Whole sections have moved to India already whilst Scotland is still in the UK?

So Scotland, in the UK, is competing with India and jobs have already gone? 

I'm struggling to see what's attractive in London based finance jobs when they're all being off shored to India under the UKs watch. 

It's lower value add back office and call centre jobs that are primarily impacted by this and I'd suggest they aren't generally London based. London is doing quite nicely thank you.

Gundermann
1 hour ago, Japan Jambo said:

It's lower value add back office and call centre jobs that are primarily impacted by this and I'd suggest they aren't generally London based. London is doing quite nicely thank you.

Saw this. Certainly, someone is doing well. The 1%?

433899311_10231290042584682_232974620190

Dirty Deeds

Another example of Scotland's legal system leading the way and outperforming rUK.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2024/apr/10/shoplifting-crackdown-to-include-55m-for-facial-recognition-tools-in-england-and-wales

"in Scotland, where a similar law is already in place, the arrest rate for retail crime was 60% compared with just 10% in England'

Imagine what could be achieved if we weren't anchored to England's sinking ship.

frankblack
37 minutes ago, Dirty Deeds said:

Another example of Scotland's legal system leading the way and outperforming rUK.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2024/apr/10/shoplifting-crackdown-to-include-55m-for-facial-recognition-tools-in-england-and-wales

"in Scotland, where a similar law is already in place, the arrest rate for retail crime was 60% compared with just 10% in England'

Imagine what could be achieved if we weren't anchored to England's sinking ship.

Is this the same Police Scotland that have said they are going to pick and choose which calls to attend?

https://news.stv.tv/scotland/police-scotland-will-not-investigate-every-crime

henrysmithsgloves
3 hours ago, Dirty Deeds said:

Brother works at an Asda,they have gave up phoning the police, unless shoplifters become violent. Copshop is 100 meters away, response time is 45 mins on average,if they turn up at all . Security now, if they get the goods back, chuck out the shoplifters and ban them for life. Only for them to return 😳

frankblack
3 hours ago, Dirty Deeds said:

Funding cutbacks to fund Tory tax cuts. That's the sinking ship that we're anchored to.

Yep - its always someone else's fault. 🤷‍♀️

JudyJudyJudy
53 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Default position for them , as per . 

manaliveits105

A series of independence papers by the Scottish Government has been branded “dismal” over a plummeting number of downloads.

The volume of clicks has fallen from 78,571 for the first paper to 3,168 for the dossier covering Scotland’s place on the world stage.

The interest was also far higher under Nicola Sturgeon than for her successor Humza Yousaf. 

The Government’s Building a New Scotland series is an attempt at revamping the case for independence following the 2014 referendum failure

shame dat :qqb006:

1 hour ago, manaliveits105 said:

A series of independence papers by the Scottish Government has been branded “dismal” over a plummeting number of downloads.

The volume of clicks has fallen from 78,571 for the first paper to 3,168 for the dossier covering Scotland’s place on the world stage.

The interest was also far higher under Nicola Sturgeon than for her successor Humza Yousaf. 

The Government’s Building a New Scotland series is an attempt at revamping the case for independence following the 2014 referendum failure

There will be an English based fanatic along in a bit to tell you that another independence referendum is the number one priority for most Scots.

Lord Montpelier

Even 78k is a terribly low number. But does show very limited interest in this now. 

Dirty Deeds
5 hours ago, frankblack said:

Lower taxes means lower government spending, or austerity in other words and that's not one you can blame on the SNP.

JDK2020
4 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

There's some will try to say that that is a sign that Saint Nicola was so much more popular and capable than the Useless idiot. I'd say it's a combination of the recent recognition by the previously brain-washed nats of her evident crookedness, and the realisation that the Useless idiot is...well, a useless idiot.

manaliveits105

Humza working wonders with 

Independence though -

yougov poll 10 April ;

The story is static when it comes to Scottish independence. Currently 53% of Scots say they would vote No in a repeat of the 2014 referendum, compared to 47% who would vote Yes – this is the same split as it was the last time we asked in September 2023.

the guid Scottish people always know best 

Dirty Deeds
5 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Humza working wonders with 

Independence though -

yougov poll 10 April ;

The story is static when it comes to Scottish independence. Currently 53% of Scots say they would vote No in a repeat of the 2014 referendum, compared to 47% who would vote Yes – this is the same split as it was the last time we asked in September 2023.

the guid Scottish people always know best 

They do indeed 

Screenshot_2024-04-11-09-02-23-39_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

JudyJudyJudy
15 minutes ago, Dirty Deeds said:

They do indeed 

There’s only one poll which matters and that’s an Indy ref poll . The silent majority will cast their no vote again 

manaliveits105
44 minutes ago, Dirty Deeds said:

They do indeed 

14% don't knows in Redfield poll ?? 

and 

58% of Scottish voters cite the economy as one of the three most important issues that would determine how they would vote in a General Election, ahead of the NHS (54%). 

15% of respondents cite Scottish Independence/The Union as one of the three issues that would most determine their vote if a General Election was held tomorrow, the lowest percentage of voters ever in our Scottish polling to name it as one of their top three issues, and making it only the seventhmost commonly selected overall issue. Among 2019 SNP voters Scottish Independence is only the third most commonly selected issue (28%) behind the NHS (65%), and the economy (60%).

that's the de facto referendum fecked before it starts too 

Ach well onwards and upwards 

20 hours ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

Brother works at an Asda,they have gave up phoning the police, unless shoplifters become violent. Copshop is 100 meters away, response time is 45 mins on average,if they turn up at all . Security now, if they get the goods back, chuck out the shoplifters and ban them for life. Only for them to return 😳

I wonder why shoplifting has increased in frequency...

14% don't knows in Redfield poll ?? 

and 

58% of Scottish voters cite the economy as one of the three most important issues that would determine how they would vote in a General Election, ahead of the NHS (54%). 

15% of respondents cite Scottish Independence/The Union as one of the three issues that would most determine their vote if a General Election was held tomorrow, the lowest percentage of voters ever in our Scottish polling to name it as one of their top three issues, and making it only the seventhmost commonly selected overall issue. Among 2019 SNP voters Scottish Independence is only the third most commonly selected issue (28%) behind the NHS (65%), and the economy (60%).

that's the de facto referendum fecked before it starts too 

Ach well onwards and upwards 

The biggest issue facing society in the UK is getting rid of the misfiring, corrupt Tories at the next GE and making inroads into starting to fix the disgusting mess they have created. 

The Scottish electorate does not share Humza's views on a "de facto" referendum - we've already met Thatcher's test and nothing happened. This is not, and would never be, the mechanism to gain independence. The priority is eliminating the Tories, though I see many of them are jumping ship before being pushed anyway, what was that saying again...:D

This does not mean independence as a movement or ideal is gone, far from it. Nor does it mean for a second that any GE votes for Labour, should they transpire, will transfer over to Holyrood voting patterns. Anyone who thinks this isn't paying attention. 

frankblack
15 hours ago, Dirty Deeds said:

Lower taxes means lower government spending, or austerity in other words and that's not one you can blame on the SNP.

The Scottish Government have had increased spending in numerous areas.

Its not the Tories fault Scotland is running in the red with its budget.  Incompetence at Holyrood is the primary reason.

43 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Its not the Tories fault Scotland is running in the red with its budget.  Incompetence at Holyrood is the primary reason.

So costs are through the roof due to a combination of economic issues - Brexit, the Ukraine invasion, the Covid costs and post-Covid economic fallout, Truss's economic batshittery, massive spikes in energy costs, rampant food inflation and corporate price gouging etc etc.

* Councils across the UK are going bust.

* The UK government has a budget deficit of over a trillion pounds.

* Wales has a budget deficit.

* Northern Ireland has a budget deficit. 

* 22 European countries run with a budget deficit. 

But uniquely our budget deficit is solely due to the incompetent SNP-led coalition government, according to Frank. 

math-hmm.gif

Roxy Hearts
14 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

So costs are through the roof due to a combination of economic issues - Brexit, the Ukraine invasion, the Covid costs and post-Covid economic fallout, Truss's economic batshittery, massive spikes in energy costs, rampant food inflation and corporate price gouging etc etc.

* Councils across the UK are going bust.

* The UK government has a budget deficit of over a trillion pounds.

* Wales has a budget deficit.

* Northern Ireland has a budget deficit. 

* 22 European countries run with a budget deficit. 

But uniquely our budget deficit is solely due to the incompetent SNP-led coalition government, according to Frank. 

math-hmm.gif

He's a unionist, what do you expect!

Japan Jambo
2 hours ago, Gizmo said:

The biggest issue facing society in the UK is getting rid of the misfiring, corrupt Tories at the next GE and making inroads into starting to fix the disgusting mess they have created. 

The Scottish electorate does not share Humza's views on a "de facto" referendum - we've already met Thatcher's test and nothing happened. This is not, and would never be, the mechanism to gain independence. The priority is eliminating the Tories, though I see many of them are jumping ship before being pushed anyway, what was that saying again...:D

This does not mean independence as a movement or ideal is gone, far from it. Nor does it mean for a second that any GE votes for Labour, should they transpire, will transfer over to Holyrood voting patterns. Anyone who thinks this isn't paying attention. 

I thought I read somewhere that it was back to pre COVID levels but that the retailers were shroud waving in an attempt to deflect? Anyone have facts?

The Mighty Thor
2 hours ago, frankblack said:

Tell us again just how much of a budget deficit Jeremy Hunt, the doyen of fiscal probity, is running this year and tell us how that compares pro rata to how Scotland is managing it's budget?

JudyJudyJudy

Roll up , roll up , it’s SNP bingo time again . Even Scotlands “ First Lady “ is joining in the game 😂

IMG_8093.jpeg

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

Lord Montpelier
35 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Roll up , roll up , it’s SNP bingo time again . Even Scotlands “ First Lady “ is joining in the game 😂

IMG_8093.jpeg

She's a victim of thinking she's way more important than she actually is

frankblack
2 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Tell us again just how much of a budget deficit Jeremy Hunt, the doyen of fiscal probity, is running this year and tell us how that compares pro rata to how Scotland is managing it's budget?

More whatabootery.  I'm not defending the Tories, just pointing out Nationalists who never admit to their own failings.

The Scottish Government has a budget.  They knew what they had to spend and need to justify why they overspent regardless.

1 hour ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

IMG_8093.jpeg

So you're saying some Tory MPs aren't what could be described as far right?

Malinga the Swinga
1 hour ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

IMG_8093.jpeg

Watch out, you'll have the gullible trying to twist her words to suit their own agenda. While some Tory MPs are unarguably right wing, I'd suggest Nadia is trying desperately to jump on a bandwagon to deflect from her husband's dismal record in office and also from her families more noticeable problems with crime 

henrysmithsgloves
6 hours ago, Gizmo said:

No excuse mate,cut the cloth to suit. I would love to get more money on my pension,but here we are. A bit like saying fuel prices are higher, let's start stealing fuel.🤔👍🏻

TallPaul
14 hours ago, Lord Montpelier said:

She's a victim of thinking she's way more important than she actually is

Just another nasty member of Dundonian Sopranos. 

TallPaul
18 hours ago, Gizmo said:

Can you explain why Scotish independence would have seen us avoid rising food prices?

Gundermann

Support for independence up again in new poll. Still considerably higher than support for SNP.

:pleasingao:

manaliveits105

Aw the Redfield survey of 1000 people which has the Scottish Tories with increased seats in both Westminster and Holyrood - that one 

Fandabbydozie any date for indyref2 ? 

bring it on 

:rofl:

TallPaul
3 hours ago, Gundermann said:

Support for independence up again in new poll. Still considerably higher than support for SNP.

:pleasingao:

Smashing when's the referendum taking place?

JudyJudyJudy
15 minutes ago, TallPaul said:

Smashing when's the referendum taking place?

I’ll second that ! Bring it on ! 

18 hours ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

No excuse mate,cut the cloth to suit. I would love to get more money on my pension,but here we are. A bit like saying fuel prices are higher, let's start stealing fuel.🤔👍🏻

I agree but some families had already cut their cloth to shreds and had nowhere to go when these prices were scalped. It got so bad that Tesco limited the amount of Heinz products due to that company's shameless greed. 

Food inflation may have stabilised but I think some of the less economically literate posters don't grasp that the prices don't then go down like pump prices (sometimes!) do. 

Food bank use hasn't eased, put it that way. 

manaliveits105

An SNP manifesto pledge to give free bikes to every child who can’t afford one is set to fail as new figures show just three per cent have received one. Data obtained by the Sunday Mail shows the 2021 promise has cost about £700 per bike, with £5.3million spent so far. 

Just 6814 bikes have been given out in the last three years, with the majority of Scotland’s 250,000 kids in poverty yet to receive one. The government has also admitted Transport Scotland, which funds the scheme, has made no assessment of when all children unable to afford a bike will get one. 

The SNP promised to fulfil its pledge by 2026. Critics said the money would have been better spent on anti-poverty programmes and have urged the government to ditch the scheme.

3% :rofl:

manaliveits105

Scottish Ministers spent a record high of £926 million funding pupils with additional support needs last year fuelling claims of a “crisis in the classroom”, it has been revealed. Scottish Government data shows 37% of pupils have additional support needs (ASN) and critics claim the upward trend puts Scotland on course to have 50% of school-aged children defined as needing extra help by 2030.

The SNP Government has confirmed that staff increased by 725 (4.4%) last year bringing the total number of support staff in Scottish schools to 17,330. Campaigners say Scottish Government data shows there were 259,036 youngsters with ASN, up almost 3% from the previous year when 34.2% fell into the category. 

The Scottish Union for Education (SUE) says the Scottish data when compared with 17% in England is deeply troubling and that some parents may be incentivised to claim ASN status as a result of a diagnosis giving them entitlement to benefits. Julie Sandilands is an English and business teacher who worked in several secondary schools in Fife, and believes the spiralling number of pupils with ASN is reaching crisis levels.

20% worse than England - come on somebody is at it ! 

snp oot 

manaliveits105

The number of people with criminal convictions who have been allowed to take on teaching roles in Scottish classrooms has increased.

Freedom of Information requests by the Scots Tories reveal that the number of individuals with criminal convictions approved to take up posts, under the Protecting Vulnerable Groups Scheme, rose from 215 in 2021 to 265 in 2023 – an increase of more than 23%.

These figures include serious offences such as violent crimes –­­­ the number of which has increased by 50% over the past two years – and sexual crimes, which have doubled in the last year. The increase comes against a backdrop of falling teacher numbers, with councils facing "significant" challenges due to budget cuts.

snp protecting children 

Lord Montpelier
28 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

An SNP manifesto pledge to give free bikes to every child who can’t afford one is set to fail as new figures show just three per cent have received one. Data obtained by the Sunday Mail shows the 2021 promise has cost about £700 per bike, with £5.3million spent so far. 

Just 6814 bikes have been given out in the last three years, with the majority of Scotland’s 250,000 kids in poverty yet to receive one. The government has also admitted Transport Scotland, which funds the scheme, has made no assessment of when all children unable to afford a bike will get one. 

The SNP promised to fulfil its pledge by 2026. Critics said the money would have been better spent on anti-poverty programmes and have urged the government to ditch the scheme.

Still waiting on my free laptop

JudyJudyJudy
3 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

Scottish Ministers spent a record high of £926 million funding pupils with additional support needs last year fuelling claims of a “crisis in the classroom”, it has been revealed. Scottish Government data shows 37% of pupils have additional support needs (ASN) and critics claim the upward trend puts Scotland on course to have 50% of school-aged children defined as needing extra help by 2030.

The SNP Government has confirmed that staff increased by 725 (4.4%) last year bringing the total number of support staff in Scottish schools to 17,330. Campaigners say Scottish Government data shows there were 259,036 youngsters with ASN, up almost 3% from the previous year when 34.2% fell into the category. 

The Scottish Union for Education (SUE) says the Scottish data when compared with 17% in England is deeply troubling and that some parents may be incentivised to claim ASN status as a result of a diagnosis giving them entitlement to benefits. Julie Sandilands is an English and business teacher who worked in several secondary schools in Fife, and believes the spiralling number of pupils with ASN is reaching crisis levels.

snp oot 

Yep the rapid rise in kids needing “ additional support for learning” in comparison to other countries is an odd one 

IMG_2790.png

JudyJudyJudy
3 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

snp oot 

Another failure 

manaliveits105

Humza sceptical of any UK military intervention in region - when asked if he supports RAF shooting down drones.

:orly?:

Horatio Caine
10 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

snp oot 

Aye. Time for a Labour government.

Anas in.

Australis
11 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

It's what the SNP do.