Scottish independence and devolution superthread

Happy Hearts

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Lord Montpelier said:

He's a wolf in sheep's clothing that one. Wouldnt trust him

More like a wolf in wolf’s clothing . Hiding in plain site he is . 

4 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Oh well here’s SNP Joanna Cherry view about the new hate crime .  Yes your beloved SNP 

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/snp-mp-joanna-cherry-accuses-32434998.amp

IMG_7905.jpeg

A lot of what the SNP have pushed in recent years just reeks of "busy work", nonsense policies which seem half baked and unnecessary at best. Scotland isn't a hateful nation, legislation for this isn't needed. Sectarianism is a different kettle of fish on the other hand and much more work is needed there. But apparently we're still razor focused on trans folk and deliberately misconstruing folk that want single sex spaces :( 

Alex Salmond was quoted at a recent Alba meeting in the Highlands as expecting to take around 17 seats at the next Holyrood election, Fergus Ewing also seems fairly confident Alba will register seats this time because people do not like the greens and are acutely aware that SNP 1 & 2 is a waste of a list vote. Personally, I think anything over 10 would be incredible provided Alex is returned. 

I think getting the adults back in the room is so important for the progression of the Independence argument. Salmond quite frankly would eat Humza and his front bench alive for some of the utterly nonsense policies they've pushed - as well as their complete dereliction of duty in failing to advance the case for Independence. 

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, OTT said:

A lot of what the SNP have pushed in recent years just reeks of "busy work", nonsense policies which seem half baked and unnecessary at best. Scotland isn't a hateful nation, legislation for this isn't needed. Sectarianism is a different kettle of fish on the other hand and much more work is needed there. But apparently we're still razor focused on trans folk and deliberately misconstruing folk that want single sex spaces :( 

Alex Salmond was quoted at a recent Alba meeting in the Highlands as expecting to take around 17 seats at the next Holyrood election, Fergus Ewing also seems fairly confident Alba will register seats this time because people do not like the greens and are acutely aware that SNP 1 & 2 is a waste of a list vote. Personally, I think anything over 10 would be incredible provided Alex is returned. 

I think getting the adults back in the room is so important for the progression of the Independence argument. Salmond quite frankly would eat Humza and his front bench alive for some of the utterly nonsense policies they've pushed - as well as their complete dereliction of duty in failing to advance the case for Independence. 

I read somewhere that this is one of the first times legislation has been passed from the top / down . In other words the Govt is stating there is a problem and not the public . Therefore they have decided on legislating .  As noted before there is already legislation in place to deal with hate crimes. I can only conclude this legislation is designed to silence respectable arguments and debate . Me of all people should be applauding this legislation as I am covered in 4 characteristics , sexual orientation , religion , disability and age . But I’m not as I’m already covered as most people are . Oh sorry there’s one majority group which aren’t . Women . 

Yes Salmon would wipe the floor with Useless . I’m at a loss why Alba haven’t made decent inroads into Scottish politics. 

15 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I read somewhere that this is one of the first times legislation has been passed from the top / down . In other words the Govt is stating there is a problem and not the public . Therefore they have decided on legislating .  As noted before there is already legislation in place to deal with hate crimes. I can only conclude this legislation is designed to silence respectable arguments and debate . Me of all people should be applauding this legislation as I am covered in 4 characteristics , sexual orientation , religion , disability and age . But I’m not as I’m already covered as most people are . Oh sorry there’s one majority group which aren’t . Women . 

Yes Salmon would wipe the floor with Useless . I’m at a loss why Alba haven’t made decent inroads into Scottish politics. 

Its just to do with building awareness I think. One of those "Rome not being built in a day", need time for the public at large to become aware of Alba and what they stand for. I think when they were founded it was largely a social media based campaign. Whereas now they can chap doors etc. they've been standing in a lot of local council seats, so who and what Alba are should be much clearer in the publics mind since 2021. 

I was hoping for a more immediate impact, but sadly not to be!! Hoping that 2026 is the year. 

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, OTT said:

Its just to do with building awareness I think. One of those "Rome not being built in a day", need time for the public at large to become aware of Alba and what they stand for. I think when they were founded it was largely a social media based campaign. Whereas now they can chap doors etc. they've been standing in a lot of local council seats, so who and what Alba are should be much clearer in the publics mind since 2021. 

I was hoping for a more immediate impact, but sadly not to be!! Hoping that 2026 is the year. 

👍👍will they be contesting many WM seats ? Or targeting ones which the SNP won ? ( most ) 

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

Lord Montpelier
36 minutes ago, OTT said:

Alba can and should be the party for Nationalists with a bit of common sense.

The fact that they don't seem to have taken much snp ground tells you all you need to know about your average Nationalist. 

7 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

👍👍will they be contesting many WM seats ? Or targeting ones which the SNP won ? ( most ) 

I think its 12 total they are contesting, 1 being John Nicholsons. I'm expecting the ones most drunk on the Koolaid of the GRA to be the ones Alba will contest e.g. Kirsty Blackman who has to have been one of the most illsuited people for public office I have ever seen. 

I hate FPTP elections, too easy for big parties to dominate which isn't healthy. 

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Lord Montpelier said:

Alba can and should be the party for Nationalists with a bit of common sense.

The fact that they don't seem to have taken much snp ground tells you all you need to know about your average Nationalist. 

Good point . 

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, OTT said:

I think its 12 total they are contesting, 1 being John Nicholsons. I'm expecting the ones most drunk on the Koolaid of the GRA to be the ones Alba will contest e.g. Kirsty Blackman who has to have been one of the most illsuited people for public office I have ever seen. 

I hate FPTP elections, too easy for big parties to dominate which isn't healthy. 

John Nicholson ? A particularly nasty piece of work and Blackman is caught up in the GRA stuff to her detriment . Hope both lose . Aberdeen a def possibility . 

Gundermann
2 hours ago, OTT said:

The whole point of Abla was that it was independence now and not after some SNP negotiations. Now, it's all SNP took 70 years...so we'll need time too.

They're just too toxic for most of us. Craig Murray defecting to Grifter Galloway's latest party just emphasises this. Lots of fall out over the GRA with those not as hardline as others being castigated for poorly worded tweets. I believe the angel whisperer resigned over this. So much for indy as the one and only aim.

Edited by Gundermann

John Findlay
17 minutes ago, Gundermann said:

The whole point of Abla was that it was independence now and not after some SNP negotiations. Now, it's all SNP took 70 years...so we'll need time too.

They're just too toxic for most of us. Craig Murray defecting to Grifter Galloway's latest party just emphasises this. Lots of fall out over the GRA with those not as hardline as others being castigated for poorly worded tweets. I believe the angel whisperer resigned over this. So much for indy as the one and only aim.

Almost as toxic as the SNP. Indy currently a pipedream that may happen in my 15yrs old son's lifetime.

frankblack
5 hours ago, Gundermann said:

Allegations? It's quite easy to find the dirt on ACH. If I'd done what he'd done, I'd be sacked there and then.

Googling SNP blogs doesn't count. 

Either put up evidence or retract your statement.

Building the Sick Kids was a bad thing?? I'm aware that there were problems in its construction but you can't compare that to a whole flawed funding scheme that sees LAs saddled with huge debts to private pirates for up to a century. Perhaps if Scotland had all the levers of power that other small nations have, we'd do better.

Deflection there from what I posted.

You slammed labour for PPI yet the SNP used it in Edinburgh and Glasgow builds.

The fact is that the SNP signed off the sick kids build before it was inspected and cost it 2 or 3 additional years of repairs at the taxpayers expense.  Had they not signed it off the builders would have been liable. 

i've said this before, I'll probably vote SNP not as a ringing endorsement of their politicians or all their policies but because the alternatives are worse. The butt cheeks of Labour and Tory have had their day.

The SNP are under criminal investigation for fraud.

This recent poll would say that Scotland thinks the same. The Tories to be wiped out here and SNP to have 41 seats - a thumping majority and one they'd bite your hand off for given the past few years of negative publicity. If that comes to pass then it's a strong rejection of both Tory and Red Tory by Scots (and I'm aware a majority of seats at WM might not be a numerical majority. Shame Tory and Labour like the current system though). Starmer's cheerleading of Israeli's warcrimes does seem to have come back to bite him. Some 23k Labour members have resigned. Not good in an election year when you want all the money and boots on the street that you can get.

The Tories will be wiped out but Useless will lead the SNP majorly backwards.

2 hours ago, Gundermann said:

Alba as I understand it allow for multi-party members, so Murray hasn't defected as such. Although, I'm not hugely happy about him backing Galloways party given his position on Indy and how CM plans to reconcile that. 

I think the toxic trope is just lazy, some of the SNP youth wing are the very definition of toxic - likewise the greens. Alba is a party born out of frustration with the direction the SNP are in and the need for faster more definitive action. Humza is already gearing up for a Keir Starmer premiership of asking for a sect 30, being told no, bumping his gums and accepting it. 

During her campaign for SNP leader, Ash Regan was the only candidate with an alternative plan for Indy through her "Voter Empowerment Mechanism", i.e turning each and every election into a test for Independence. She wasn't as polished as Forbes or Humza, but unlike either, she did actually put forward something which would move the dial and potentially break the deadlock with the UK. 

Gundermann
2 hours ago, frankblack said:

Googling SNP blogs doesn't count. 

Either put up evidence or retract your statement.

Deflection there from what I posted.

You slammed labour for PPI yet the SNP used it in Edinburgh and Glasgow builds.

The fact is that the SNP signed off the sick kids build before it was inspected and cost it 2 or 3 additional years of repairs at the taxpayers expense.  Had they not signed it off the builders would have been liable. 

The SNP are under criminal investigation for fraud.

The Tories will be wiped out but Useless will lead the SNP majorly backwards.

Have done. Was ACH's apology on an SNP blog?

frankblack

Have done. Was ACH's apology on an SNP blog?

I wouldn't know as I never saw any allegations nor apology on any major news site.

Let me guess.  Did you read it on twitter/X? 🤔

Cranston
2 minutes ago, AyrJambo said:

Interesting read on the new Hate Crime....

https://wingsoverscotland.com/the-war-on-hate/#more-142082

Hate crime really is the Alice in Wonderland down the rabbit hole spectrum.

What if national flags become perceptions of hatred against other nationalities for instance? No more St Andrews Cross because it might be seen as a symbol of hatred against minorities not from Scotland?

JudyJudyJudy
17 minutes ago, Cranston said:

Hate crime really is the Alice in Wonderland down the rabbit hole spectrum.

What if national flags become perceptions of hatred against other nationalities for instance? No more St Andrews Cross because it might be seen as a symbol of hatred against minorities not from Scotland?

Wait till the religion “ hatred “ kicks in too !!! Multiple arrests at various football grounds !! 😎 e fff joke 

Cranston
6 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Wait till the religion “ hatred “ kicks in too !!! Multiple arrests at various football grounds !! 😎 e fff joke 

It really is the thin end of a very big wedged sledge hammer that will crack every piece of free speech and freedoms that we've taken for granted for centuries into splinters. Any comment, song, statement, flag, nationality, even facial expressions, could become 'perceived hate crimes'. Thanks Humza.

henrysmithsgloves
7 minutes ago, Cranston said:

It really is the thin end of a very big wedged sledge hammer that will crack every piece of free speech and freedoms that we've taken for granted for centuries into splinters. Any comment, song, statement, flag, nationality, even facial expressions, could become 'perceived hate crimes'. Thanks Humza.

People in glass houses....

Cranston
6 minutes ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

People in glass houses....

He's definitely getting grassed to his hate crime unit.

:jjyay:

Absolute madness, we are now the laughing stock of most of the world! the SNP have allowed this to happen! Politicians are supposed to represent the people not dictate BS laws!, who is going to arrest 50,000 people at an old firm match when they start singing sectarian songs! Things were fine as they where! We are being forced into liking people we don't like we have families that don't get on is this acceptable?

12 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Almost as toxic as the SNP. Indy currently a pipedream that may happen in my 15yrs old son's lifetime.

In a nutshell. The average Nationalist has been completely duped during the entirety of the glorious Sturgeon years and now sees Alba and octopus arms (self styled Father of the nation) as the salvation.

Absolutely tragic. 

3 hours ago, Malco said:

Absolute madness, we are now the laughing stock of most of the world! the SNP have allowed this to happen! Politicians are supposed to represent the people not dictate BS laws!, who is going to arrest 50,000 people at an old firm match when they start singing sectarian songs! Things were fine as they where! We are being forced into liking people we don't like we have families that don't get on is this acceptable?

This imbecile that has been bestowed upon us through the gerrymandering of the SNP leadership process is a truly dangerous and utterly repulsive piece of work. That way he circles his mouth when he's spouting some utter drivel. He's totally full of shit. An ignorant arsehole of the highest order.

There's something terribly authoritarian about the leadership of this lot, in their past and present form. A desperate indictment of what the Scottish electorate have found palatable. 

Gundermann
11 hours ago, frankblack said:

I wouldn't know as I never saw any allegations nor apology on any major news site.

Let me guess.  Did you read it on twitter/X? 🤔

One shot is from ACH in Zoom meeting.

One is the former LibDem CEO on Twitter.

One is The Times.

Hardly SNP blogs.

:jj_facepalm:

I get that you'd vote for anyone to stop the SNP winning Edin West, your choice, but don't make out that ACH is something he's not. He's an odious wee nyaff.

Gundermann
8 hours ago, Malco said:

You do know that the HCB doesn't create new offences? The OF sectarianism is already illegal.

Believe me, Scotland isn't the laughing stock of Europe. Look south to Brexit England that's literally swimming in its own shit just now.

Gundermann
8 hours ago, Malco said:

You do know that the HCB doesn't create new offences? The OF sectarianism is already illegal.

Believe me, Scotland isn't the laughing stock of Europe. Look south to Brexit England that's literally swimming in its own shit just now.

doctor jambo
12 minutes ago, Gundermann said:

I think this may be the first time a member of the public decides if they have been a victim of a crime.

And this is merely accepted.

Then if the prosecution threshold has not been met, it gets recorded against you and kept on file.

Thats madness .

Lord Montpelier
4 hours ago, Carter said:

This imbecile that has been bestowed upon us through the gerrymandering of the SNP leadership process is a truly dangerous and utterly repulsive piece of work. That way he circles his mouth when he's spouting some utter drivel. He's totally full of shit. An ignorant arsehole of the highest order.

There's something terribly authoritarian about the leadership of this lot, in their past and present form. A desperate indictment of what the Scottish electorate have found palatable. 

Many in the Scottish electorate seem to have a need to be told what to do, and the SNP fill this desire. 

And I'm sure from today the same people in that electorate will be thankful for the SNP telling them what they are allowed to think and say - and giving them powers to make sure others only think and say the same things as them. 

Scotland has become a cultural bin fire under SNP / Green rule. 

JudyJudyJudy

Wrong. . It makes " stirring up " offences of the other characteristics too .. As Dr Jambo stated it is also ensures people who are complained about are placed on a " list" and do not even have the basic right to reply to argue their innocence of the charges. 

JudyJudyJudy
10 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Can you report historical hate incidents?

:whistling:

YES. Heading over to X now to see whats happening there. 

JudyJudyJudy
10 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Can you report historical hate incidents?

:whistling:

There you go Jim 

IMG_7913.jpeg

JudyJudyJudy

Dp

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

Libertarian
23 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Oh well here’s SNP Joanna Cherry view about the new hate crime .  Yes your beloved SNP 

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/snp-mp-joanna-cherry-accuses-32434998.amp

IMG_7905.jpeg

The SNP have completely lost the plot since Salmond resigned as leader. A recent poll suggests that they will win 41 seats at the next British election. I don't believe it. Everyone's one I know, including Independence supporters like me utterly detest the SNP and will never vote for them again.

Edited by Libertarian

doctor jambo

I think this will descend into utter farce.

The problem being that most of this is not “hate crime” - but people being offended by a difference of opinion, and a bill that criminalises upsetting people

Lone Striker
2 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

I think this may be the first time a member of the public decides if they have been a victim of a crime.

Then if the prosecution threshold has not been met, it gets recorded against you and kept on file.

Thats madness .

Not quite.  A member of the public can contact the police claiming they've been a victim of Hate Crime - but its the police who will determine if  the evidence meets the threshold.  If it doesn't, it will still be logged as a "non-criminal incident.  A senior police bloke explained it on the radio yesterday.      

doctor jambo
1 minute ago, Lone Striker said:

Not quite.  A member of the public can contact the police claiming they've been a victim of Hate Crime - but its the police who will determine if  the evidence meets the threshold.  If it doesn't, it will still be logged as a "non-criminal incident.  A senior police bloke explained it on the radio yesterday.      

Thats kind of the point- if I get reported, but have not committed a crime, it still gets logged against me as a hate incident.

Sorry, the police should not have the authority to decide that.

i am either guilty of a crime or I’m not.

guilt / innocence 

that is the bedrock.

not “secret watch list “ as a third option .

periodictabledancer
2 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

Thats madness .

If it's done repearedly, that's harrassment.

JudyJudyJudy
6 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Thats kind of the point- if I get reported, but have not committed a crime, it still gets logged against me as a hate incident.

guilt / innocence 

that is the bedrock.

Yep 👍 

Lord Montpelier
39 minutes ago, Libertarian said:

The SNP have completely lost the plot since Salmond resigned as leader. A recent poll suggests that they will win 41 seats at the next British election. I don't believe it. Everyone's one I know, including Independence supporters like me utterly detest the SNP and will never vote for them again.

100% this. 

doctor jambo
1 minute ago, Lord Montpelier said:

100% this. 

Trying to create a utopian inclusive dreamland in a country that has singularly failed to integrate its Irish population after 500 years was always going to be a challenge .

Doing it by using thought policing by employers, and weaponising legislation to suppress ideas the state disapproves of , and the police reborn as tools of state oppression ( forgetting the nations history in the miners strikes) is utter stupidity.

So Humza will have hate incidents recorded against him, as will numerous others, because the bill is ridiculous .

JudyJudyJudy

Some arguing that the HCA is the same as in Englandm, " so whats the problem"? .  Wrong

In England it has been ruled unlawful to record non crime hate incidents(in other words something that isn't a crime but offends the permanently offended) In England you can't be potentially prosecuted for something you say in the privacy of your own home (dwelling defence)

frankblack
3 hours ago, Gundermann said:

One shot is from ACH in Zoom meeting.

One is the former LibDem CEO on Twitter.

One is The Times.

Hardly SNP blogs.

:jj_facepalm:

I get that you'd vote for anyone to stop the SNP winning Edin West, your choice, but don't make out that ACH is something he's not. He's an odious wee nyaff.

IIRC someone got axed for having a grudge, which I think covers all your sources.  

The way politics works the press don't let go when they have a story until the politician is taken down.  Michael Matheson being a prime example.

I don't know the guy's personal life (or care about it) but go with what he does in his constituency.

The SNP let the constituency down when they had control.  They shut their local office and disappeared. That is why they get kept out in Edinburgh West.

frankblack
48 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

guilt / innocence 

that is the bedrock.

That sounds like a direct conflict with the Data Protection Act.  Notably, the "right to be forgotten".