Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• the general

• Tams bird

• The Gasman

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Robert Polson

Tracksuit Cha, Charlie Mckenna fae Bingham was as Radge as a brush, remember standing in a queue in the Chippy Gorgie Rd before a European game in late 80's, The Lassie Serving said" who's next " Cha said " Awright Doll Hows yer ###### fur love bites" Whole chippy was in stitches !!!

Another Robbo

Never known the Gorgie Dancer to be called Karate Keith, tbh.

As for characters. Do the monkey twins still go to games? Both used to sell Evening News' on Princes Street and as I recall went to games with their old dear.

Also, the "couple" that go to a lot of games that are a little simple. She was short with dark hair in a 90's curtains style and he was a bit older and not as simple as he made out. ;)

The couple used to sit at the front of the main stand by the police box...I've moved seats so dunno if they still so...

Remember so many of these characters from 70' & 80's when I was bus Convener on the currie bus. We had our own busload of characters and nutjobs.

Wouldn't have missed it for the world.......and our famous "we'll be back to get you" t shirts.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Tams bird

The couple used to sit at the front of the main stand by the police box...I've moved seats so dunno if they still so...

. Was she not called Mandy ? Never seen him for a while...

Craigieboy

That boy who Gary Locke cuddled after the last derby at Tynecastle.

:lol:

See him all over the shop.

Big grey hair.

Used to sit outside Robbo's?

jambovambo

Stan Wood

SCAB (Stockbridge Craigleith and Blackhall) bus

Now there was a character.

What about Joe Scouse? Is he still standing about section N?

Yup! Bumped into him in the boozer at the Dubdee United game.

GMEdinburgh

I'm I'm sure tracksuit Charlie got nicked after the Tom Hart memorial game outside Jenners after the windows got smashed after a wee mini riot and was the only person in Princes Street with a tracksuit on and a fur coat with the price tag still on it, I'm sure he was still pleading his innocence inside the meat wagon and could not understand why he got lifted, What a laugh the good old 70s and 80's were, I'm 45 now but remember the 4 thousand at home and 2 thousand away what a family it is, still see a lot of same faces that have been going as long as I have maybe never know their name but still acknowledge each other, someone else mentioned the monkey brothers but they were the calmest out of the whole radge family.

Edited by GMEdinburgh

Tams bird

That boy who Gary Locke cuddled after the last derby at Tynecastle.

:lol:

See him all over the shop.

Big grey hair.

Used to sit outside Robbo's?

. I think your thinking of Bernie.....

japanjambo

Has he ever missed a hearts game? I see him all the time

I remember seeing him back in the 70's!

3fingersreid

I'm sure it was Bernie who took his dog to the old parkhead and let it have a shit on the track at half time

N Lincs Jambo

I'm sure it was Bernie who took his dog to the old parkhead and let it have a shit on the track at half time

Bernie the Postie? Carrying a few extra pounds and long straggly hair?? His party piece (IIRC) was arriving at Parkheid, going in the Celtic end with his Alsatian with Hearts scarf on, walking round to the Hearts end on the cinders track in front of the Jungle as if this was the most natural thing in the world to do. Even the Celtic nutters didn't have a scooby.... great times

japanjambo

He used to sit near me in the old stand. I can see him from my seat there warming up in the Wheatfield. Not just that you can here him clapping when the team is being read out.

I sit in Gorgie stand section Z, and you can hear him clapping throughout the whole match! :2thumbsup:

japanjambo

Bernie the Postie? Carrying a few extra pounds and long straggly hair?? His party piece (IIRC) was arriving at Parkheid, going in the Celtic end with his Alsatian with Hearts scarf on, walking round to the Hearts end on the cinders track in front of the Jungle as if this was the most natural thing in the world to do. Even the Celtic nutters didn't have a scooby.... great times

I remember seeing him with his dug, inside Firhill. Then outside Ibrox. Police wouldn't let him into ibrox with the dug! LOL

Tams bird

. Every dog he has had was called Billy. It got barred from Robertsons for fighting or something.... Wasn't an Alsatian then tho. He worked in the tax office for a while. Still wore grey joggers & a vest top... Going to listen for the section A clapper on Sunday. Edited by Tams bird

Craig Herbertson

Just read the whole thread and I might have lost the plot. Have Hearts got two Jesus's in the fan base? Is that not one too many?

They stay in Bingham now.

I might have the wrong folk then (surely can't be 2 set of them?) Is one of them called Gilbert?

Maroon Sailor

The legend that is Louie, Rasputin, Jesus .....

louie.jpg

What was Dennis Taylor doing up here ?!

Neilson's Shank

. Every dog he has had was called Billy. It got barred from Robertsons for fighting or something.... Wasn't an Alsatian then tho. He worked in the tax office for a while. Still wore grey joggers & a vest top... Going to listen for the section A clapper on Sunday.

aye the vested adonis still works in the tax office having thought about I have not seen him about much in the last 2 weeks.

Just read the whole thread and I might have lost the plot. Have Hearts got two Jesus's in the fan base? Is that not one too many?

the original Jesus travels on the Edmiston Hearts bus from Danderhall, the other one some are calling Jesus is Louie Mathews from Musselburgh, who can also get the name Jesus, but better known around Musselburgh as Louie bin Laden!! hope this puts your mind at ease, you were not losing the plot!!

scott herbertson

the original Jesus travels on the Edmiston Hearts bus from Danderhall, the other one some are calling Jesus is Louie Mathews from Musselburgh, who can also get the name Jesus, but better known around Musselburgh as Louie bin Laden!! hope this puts your mind at ease, you were not losing the plot!!

I think that makes the second one just a 'very naughty boy'

627478-monty-python-life-of-brian.jpg

Edited by scott herbertson

GlasgoJambo

I mind going into the Golden Gate one week night after a game of 7s at Meafowbank and the twins were there with the whole extended family. It was like something out of The X Files - specifically that creepy inbred episode.

He used to sit near me in the old stand. I can see him from my seat there warming up in the Wheatfield. Not just that you can here him clapping when the team is being read out.

He lets out a rather large cheer as wooping noise too when the names are being read out. You'll probably sh*te yourself if your not on your toes.

What was Dennis Taylor doing up here ?!

The legend that is Louie, Rasputin, Jesus .....

louie.jpg

Ha ha! Still got the same adidas samba's on? Rambo.

What about Joe Scouse? Is he still standing about section N?

Yes, always called flogel "tommy lad" :2thumbsup:

9e8eva2u.jpg

Superb, haha. when I used to go to the tynie arms, he was in for a lager and lime, dressed up top the nines as usual. the new boy behind the bar goes, so.. you going to the game today? :lol:

I'm giving my age away here as I was on the Pivot, Manor, Longstone and other buses in the 70's and in the following years. Some crazy trips and characters aplenty. I remember Jesus and still look out for him, I always remember him wearing Adidas Sambas as I was wearing them for years as well and I thought they were the coolest trainers on the go in those days. Seen Keith doing his warm-ups for years, keep going mate, brilliant! Remember a lot of the names on this thread and was sad to hear big Squarey died on Christmas Day just passed, a hell of a football player in his day down Drylaw/Muirhouse way and a larger than life guy.

Anybody remember the guy who went to away games and styled his hair exactly like Rod Stewart and wore the tartan plaid (a tartan that went over your shoulder), remember him up at a pub in Aberdeen when lots of us stayed overnight after the game and it kicked off big style with angry Aberdeen fans halfway through Saturday night and running battles behind Union Street ending in me and a mate in the back of a police van and getting thrown back out on the street and telt to F... Off back to Edinburgh, nice! We were just trying to leave the boozer and get away as it looked a bit iffy, unlucky!

Been following Hearts home and away since 64/65 and like so many others on here have had amazing, terrible, sad, happy and stressful times, spent a fortune and met some great mates and fellow Hearts fans and wouldn't swap it for anything. Just hope I have many more years doing it all again as a supporter and shareholder and carrying on our great story.

sorry, just noticed this... :spoton:

Seeing that family walk about Gorgie a fair bit in my youth. Always remember people calling them the Adam's family

Tams bird

We knew them as the Clampits. Stayed downstairs from my brother in Stenhouse till they got evicted.

Edited by Tams bird

I might have the wrong folk then (surely can't be 2 set of them?) Is one of them called Gilbert?

Not sure of there names but definitely stay in Bingham. They still stay with there mother and can be seen pushing there mother about in her wheelchair every day. Edited by graham

Remember so many of these characters from 70' & 80's when I was bus Convener on the currie bus. We had our own busload of characters and nutjobs.

Wouldn't have missed it for the world.......and our famous "we'll be back to get you" t shirts.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Here's me thinking Colin ran that bus. Either your memory or mine must be fading haha.

Hi Marvin, if I'm being honest I can't remember the name, can't even remember exactly what years I travelled with the Longstone. I think the bus convener was Andy and was a character in himself (can't remember his surname). It is a great source of frustration as I get older that the memory cells are failing at some recollections and names and faces and yet are clear as day with other experiences etc.

I think it was with the Longstone bus I went to Texaco Cup games at, Oldham, Crystal Palace and Burnley as well as away games here, but equally it could have been with another bus, maybe others on here have stories of these and other trips with the famous. Would love to say I remembered him and had some stories to tell you but sorry Marvin not possible.

Spoke to him today, he was saying he only traveled on Longstone bus once or twice, he traveled on the Sighthill bus from the Silverwing.

During the darkest days of Tommy McLean I remember a grizzly bear of a bloke standing up to object at the quality of the football.

The ground was super quiet, the match (against Motherwell) was dire and breaking the silence was the following words:

"This game is so shite I'm away for a crap!"

The way he did it makes me laughter out loud to this day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Refreshment Barrier

Not sure if anyone has mentioned the radge, looked a bit like captain caveman and took eppy's every two minutes, bit on the plump side

hearts_crazy

The only one I can remember from the Shed was a dude that used to watch the whole game through a single lens Opera glasses thingy. I used to stand behind him every home game for years.

I remember big Bernie arguing wi the polis at ibrox he was telling them that the dog had been to every game that season

he still hangs about gorgie

quincy adams wagstaff
The only one I can remember from the Shed was a dude that used to watch the whole game through a single lens Opera glasses thingy. I used to stand behind him every home game for years.
i remember him sometimes had a geeky looking bird with him!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The guy mentioned with the Rod Stewart hairstyle would be George Melville from Oxgangs - one of the original Edinburgh skinheads and fashion trailblazer

• 1 year later...
Shanks said no

Just had a random text from a fellow kickbacker and the monkey brothers was mentioned. Hence the bump.

Think he still does laugh.gif

Yes I have seen him loads of times over the years he goes to games home and away. I have a cousin called Kenneth Chapman and I am sure he used to go to the games with him.

J.T.F.Robertson

The guy mentioned with the Rod Stewart hairstyle would be George Melville from Oxgangs - one of the original Edinburgh skinheads and fashion trailblazer

I remember him, he was mair like Rod than Rod.

I think this is a video of the guy. Stretcher.

That's brilliant. I miss going to the games already!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just had a random text from a fellow kickbacker and the monkey brothers was mentioned. Hence the bump.

Gilbert!!

the general

I remember him, he was mair like Rod than Rod.

there was also a Rod lookalike from the gorgie banana flats used to drink in station and furlong

the general

Hi Marvin, if I'm being honest I can't remember the name, can't even remember exactly what years I travelled with the Longstone. I think the bus convener was Andy and was a character in himself (can't remember his surname). It is a great source of frustration as I get older that the memory cells are failing at some recollections and names and faces and yet are clear as day with other experiences etc.

I think it was with the Longstone bus I went to Texaco Cup games at, Oldham, Crystal Palace and Burnley as well as away games here, but equally it could have been with another bus, maybe others on here have stories of these and other trips with the famous. Would love to say I remembered him and had some stories to tell you but sorry Marvin not possible.

was Jimmy Malloy not bus convener about then?

Randle P McMurphy

there was also a Rod lookalike from the gorgie banana flats used to drink in station and furlong

There were 2 of them used to drink in the station, one proper Rod and one Rod lite

The Shed Floodlight

The proper Rod never had the real Rod off the Jukebox if I remember right and he used to stand in The School End at the games.

Thomson1874

The two deaf guys everyone is talking about are actually my dad's friends - Peter and John Hay.

They both followed hearts everywhere for years and were in a matchday programme in the 70s.

One of them has moved away to England now so that's why people might not see them as often at Tynecastle nowadays.