Characters at Tynecastle from yesteryear

Pans Jambo

Can anyone remember big Billy Veal from Tranent?

Notorious for storming out of games but his record was against Morton. Hearts lost a goal in the 1st minute and spent the rest of the game in the Nirvana.

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• the general

• Tams bird

• The Gasman

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Drewjambobusby

quote name='Jambo_Gaz' timestamp='1346740554' post='3140453']

Those monkey twins were on a Trisha/Jeremy Kyle programme a few years back now over a fall out with a third brother. Must've needed subtitles!

Mind seeing one of them pushing the mother in the wheelchair up town and as he's struggling to get her on the bus from the kerb, she eventually gets so fed up she starts swearing, gets up, folds her chair and gets on herself!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: ahhhhhh, ahhhhhh :lol::lol::lol:

from broomhouse saw janice with her sister must have been the first time i have seen without deek ...always wear hearts colours

No way, hope deek's ok, was a nice guy !

he was at the dundee game, in the main stand. i know him, i used to get on the bus from the store club in musselburgh

That Jesus is Louie from Musselburgh or Louie Bin Laden as he is now known!! Drinks in Musselburgh and still goes to some games especially at home as he gets a season ticket from MHSC.

The other Jesus is from Gilmerton and goes on the Edminston HSC, he only goes to away games for Romanov reasons he doesn`t go to home games!

whitburnjambo

Andy Whitson was the "tea boy" still goes to the games.

thought that was his last name, just couldny mind his surname, i remember u as well dougie !

Dougie Masterton

Who are you mate? I went with the Manor, Drylaw and the Pivot and there were more nutters on these busses than inmates in Carstairs.

whitburnjambo

Who are you mate? I went with the Manor, Drylaw and the Pivot and there were more nutters on these busses than inmates in Carstairs.

big john lawrie ! how ya doin dougie ?, were you there the night we played crystal palace in the texaco cup and kenny baxter threw the bucket of p**S out the door of the coach and it all came back on him ? no one would sit beside him cos he was stinking of it !!!

Don't forget L & B's finest! Anyone remember the sergeant who patrolled round the touchline at home games in the 60s? Looked like he was a devoted pie lover and even had a song of his own.

Doctor FinnBarr

Archie McIvor! Hes from Stoneyburn I think, and his sister Susan. He will only speak to my other half in the bank when goes in, just skips the whole queue straight up to her desk! They are also the cousins of Alan McIvor, hes the guy thats always on a bike, with a fag hanging out his mouth, weaving all over the road! Only stops to light another fag! Usualy see him "cycling" along the A71. God only knows how many bumps hes caused....

All the McIvors are out and out bluenoses, and the fact that they're all mentally challenged is a good reason for nuking or fencing Stoneyburn in.

ninja.gif

Not posted on this thread for a while - I posted about Graham Blackwood aka Crawler and Fat Boab/Manor Branch earlier but a guy I lost touch with many years ago during the infamous times of the early 70's was a Rab Anderson who stayed in Slateford, Rab left Edinburgh to join the army and I have not heard from or of him since, does anybody remember him, gruff voice a real mental Jambo, we had many scary moments, Dundee, Greenock and Airdie to mention a few!

scott herbertson

quote name='whitburnjambo' timestamp='1347142390' post='3147491']

big john lawrie ! how ya doin dougie ?, were you there the night we played crystal palace in the texaco cup and kenny baxter threw the bucket of p**S out the door of the coach and it all came back on him ? no one would sit beside him cos he was stinking of it !!!

Kenny Baxter - there's a name in my memory. I have this scene in my head of a big tall hobo skinhead with doc martins and white sta prest shouting abuse across to us from a big mob of hibees on the other side of the road as we came off the Bridge of Doom in the early 70s and Kenny (who was a mate of the older Herbertson not me) going across to make him realise the error of his ways despite being considerably outnumbered.

I hid behind Herbertson senior thinking this could be gruesome, but after an exchange of views KB strode back leaving the skinhead to retrieve himself from the gutter.

senility warning: This could be a story made up in my head, it was so long ago

Edited by scott herbertson

quote name='whitburnjambo' timestamp='1347142390' post='3147491']

Kenny Baxter - there's a name in my memory. I have this scene in my head of a big tall hobo skinhead with doc martins and white sta prest shouting abuse across to us from a big mob of hibees on the other side of the road as we came off the Bridge of Doom in the early 70s and Kenny (who was a mate of the older Herbertson not me) going across to make him realise the error of his ways despite being considerably outnumbered.

I hid behind Herbertson senior thinking this could be gruesome, but after an exchange of views KB strode back leaving the skinhead to retrieve himself from the gutter.

senility warning: This could be a story made up in my head, it was so long ago

No your fine, don't worry. Every Hearts fan older than 30 ( maybe 35 ) will have a similar story. In fact I remember h*bs running buses from fester rd cause they were so s h it scared!!

Gary McAllister is sitting in front of him laugh.gif

Here's Keith aka "the gorgie dancer".. Mad as a box of frogs but lives for hearts tbh.

dyqu9a6u.jpg

Mad Dog Frazer

Me and my mates would stand under the floodlights in the crazy corner right at the top just to listen to this one boys banter. Tall black hair sure he had a moustache. He was our hero some of the stuff he would come out with was hilarious

Can anyone remember big Billy Veal from Tranent?

Was thinking about him. Always used to get lifted especially at derbies. My Dad is mates with him. He was thought to have lobbed a bar stool at Pieman, but it was his mate who did it. Away from football he is quite a quiet man and a top bloke.

• 1 year later...

Bump.

Anyone seen Karate Keith at the games this season? I've seen him a few times just cutting about the town lately so know he's well but haven't managed to locate where he sits all season after many, many looks distant searches of the Wheatfield from Section N.

He was in A down at the front last season but doesn't seem to be there now. He's usually easy to spot, just look for the waving arms and the maroon trackies.

He's in SectionA front row. Was warming up with the team before the Ross County game, smacked me in the back of the head when he was stretching out. Total bam!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Andy.Fulton2

I used to see the Monkey Twins around Sighthill area as that's where I used to live and I think they were from Broomhouse.....always had some Hearts clothing on but they were Dot Cotton.

Not sure if it was Karate Keith but a few years ago I was on Princes Street with the wife and kids and in the distance I heard what I thought was the Hearts song being belted out in the distance........it was a random day, no football on , no Hearts game whatsoever.

As we got nearer the West End this boy appeared with Hearts scarf on and still belting out the Hearts song.....lol.... There was a lot of confused shoppers looking around at each other but I just had a good chuckle.

chippysauce

post-4907-0-81154000-1398891067_thumb.jpg

Sorry folks, trying to upload full size image - suggestions please (and you'll love it when you see it!)

Thanks

I used to see the Monkey Twins around Sighthill area as that's where I used to live and I think they were from Broomhouse.....always had some Hearts clothing on but they were Dot Cotton.

They play darts (badly) in Dalkeith on a Tuesday and I think they live out that way now.

feedtheroman2

When I was 14/15 we had a season ticket in the main stand for a while. I remember three characters from the section we were in (closest to corner flag next to gorgie stand).

1) the fairly simple couple who have been mentioned already in this thread. The older guy had a stutter came out with a few belters as a result.

2) some incredibly angry old man who took an absolute hatred to Vladimir Romanov at the helm. Pretty sure he was in the paper photographed burning a season ticket as a result.

We then had season tickets in the gorgie stand, just level with the crossbar. However, their was no one of memory there!!!

3) Some old guy who just used to sit and poke folk in the back with his walking stick repeatedly.

"We should have been taking them down today with a knife in their back, what occurred instead is that they are still going going down but booted us right in the baws on the way".

As well as following Hearts all over, he was also a keen fan of Edinburgh Monarchs (speedway) and followed them. His size was due to a medical condition, and sadly he did indeed pass away a few years back as a result of that. sad.gif

That's right gasman, Charlie was a good friend of my late father, he worked in the Co-op at either Nicholson St or Bread Street I think, I started back at the speedway in 2000 and got to know Charlie and his family. As you say his size was down to a medical condition which finally took his life a few years ago. Even sadder, his daughter died at about 29 years old within the last year leaving a partner and baby son. Seems like the good are taken too young. Good to see most people on this thread remembering the characters fondly without disparaging remarks.

I remember Louie, the albino guy, the lady with the knitted hat - was on our bus to Paris (no way was that 30 years ago!) and dear Bernie! He used to travel with Colinton Mains, worked at SSHA at Haymarket then. I went with him on the Drylaw bus to Aberdeen in 1975 when Hearts won 3-0 - he still owes me a pint from then but don't think I will remind him lol.

Haha these pair and their brother went to St. Nicks when I was at the original Tynecastle Annexe. I grew up in Saughton and I'm certain from what I remember they lived in Saughton at the time. They definitely lived in Broomtown later on though.

I was told they were on Jeremy Kyle.

Here's Keith aka "the gorgie dancer".. Mad as a box of frogs but lives for hearts tbh.

dyqu9a6u.jpg

He used to sit near me in the old stand. I can see him from my seat there warming up in the Wheatfield. Not just that you can here him clapping when the team is being read out.

Karate Keith...Tynie Legend !

He used to sit somewhere near us in the Main Stand, around section S/T, did full warm up, complete with lunges and stretches, then whistled and shouted as the players were warming up.

The array of badges he has on his scarf is quite something to behold !

:ninja:

I think this is a video of the guy. Stretcher.

William H. Bonney

The legend that is Louie, Rasputin, Jesus .....

louie.jpg

Has he ever missed a hearts game? I see him all the time

Darkwhisky7

I'm giving my age away here as I was on the Pivot, Manor, Longstone and other buses in the 70's and in the following years. Some crazy trips and characters aplenty. I remember Jesus and still look out for him, I always remember him wearing Adidas Sambas as I was wearing them for years as well and I thought they were the coolest trainers on the go in those days. Seen Keith doing his warm-ups for years, keep going mate, brilliant! Remember a lot of the names on this thread and was sad to hear big Squarey died on Christmas Day just passed, a hell of a football player in his day down Drylaw/Muirhouse way and a larger than life guy.

Anybody remember the guy who went to away games and styled his hair exactly like Rod Stewart and wore the tartan plaid (a tartan that went over your shoulder), remember him up at a pub in Aberdeen when lots of us stayed overnight after the game and it kicked off big style with angry Aberdeen fans halfway through Saturday night and running battles behind Union Street ending in me and a mate in the back of a police van and getting thrown back out on the street and telt to F... Off back to Edinburgh, nice! We were just trying to leave the boozer and get away as it looked a bit iffy, unlucky!

Been following Hearts home and away since 64/65 and like so many others on here have had amazing, terrible, sad, happy and stressful times, spent a fortune and met some great mates and fellow Hearts fans and wouldn't swap it for anything. Just hope I have many more years doing it all again as a supporter and shareholder and carrying on our great story.

I think we had one or 2 of them...

Parkheid was the place for them. Hundreds of them. Says a lot really. Mind you, just look at the front row of that place next time they have a game on tv. They've not changed...

"Says a lot really. Mind you, just look at the front row of that place next time they have a game on tv. They've not changed..." What do you mean by that, genuinely confused

I'm giving my age away here as I was on the Pivot, Manor, Longstone and other buses in the 70's and in the following years. Some crazy trips and characters aplenty. I remember Jesus and still look out for him, I always remember him wearing Adidas Sambas as I was wearing them for years as well and I thought they were the coolest trainers on the go in those days. Seen Keith doing his warm-ups for years, keep going mate, brilliant! Remember a lot of the names on this thread and was sad to hear big Squarey died on Christmas Day just passed, a hell of a football player in his day down Drylaw/Muirhouse way and a larger than life guy.

Anybody remember the guy who went to away games and styled his hair exactly like Rod Stewart and wore the tartan plaid (a tartan that went over your shoulder), remember him up at a pub in Aberdeen when lots of us stayed overnight after the game and it kicked off big style with angry Aberdeen fans halfway through Saturday night and running battles behind Union Street ending in me and a mate in the back of a police van and getting thrown back out on the street and telt to F... Off back to Edinburgh, nice! We were just trying to leave the boozer and get away as it looked a bit iffy, unlucky!

Been following Hearts home and away since 64/65 and like so many others on here have had amazing, terrible, sad, happy and stressful times, spent a fortune and met some great mates and fellow Hearts fans and wouldn't swap it for anything. Just hope I have many more years doing it all again as a supporter and shareholder and carrying on our great story.

My Auld Man travelled on the Longstone bus early 70's (we were living in Wester Hailes (Drumbryden Gardens) back when I was born) dont know if you remember him, George McGee?

Edited by Marvin

Darkwhisky7

My Auld Man travelled on the Longstone bus early 70's (we were living in Wester Hailes (Drumbryden Gardens) back when I was born) dont know if you remember him, George McGee?

Hi Marvin, if I'm being honest I can't remember the name, can't even remember exactly what years I travelled with the Longstone. I think the bus convener was Andy and was a character in himself (can't remember his surname). It is a great source of frustration as I get older that the memory cells are failing at some recollections and names and faces and yet are clear as day with other experiences etc.

I think it was with the Longstone bus I went to Texaco Cup games at, Oldham, Crystal Palace and Burnley as well as away games here, but equally it could have been with another bus, maybe others on here have stories of these and other trips with the famous. Would love to say I remembered him and had some stories to tell you but sorry Marvin not possible.

Jamboelite

Haha these pair and their brother went to St. Nicks when I was at the original Tynecastle Annexe. I grew up in Saughton and I'm certain from what I remember they lived in Saughton at the time. They definitely lived in Broomtown later on though.

I was told they were on Jeremy Kyle.

Read this thread from the start and couldnt work out who the 'monkey twins' were until I saw the photo and instantly remember them from going to games since I was a kid, Karate Keith I see at most games, there was also a nutter who sat in Row 8 Section F who used to shout all the time including 'E-Coli' whenever Motherwell were playing us.

A total nut job.

big jambo g

Louie sat next to me in section D for a couple of seasons, everyone knew him ! Sinky sat a couple of rows back,some character.

They play darts (badly) in Dalkeith on a Tuesday and I think they live out that way now.

They stay in Bingham now. Edited by graham

The White Cockade

Big Hagar - long gone now

"Lottery Tickets" - always sold his tickets just inside the Gorgie Road turnstiles

and the old woman he travleed to away games with - we called her Granny Grumble - always moaning

Brother and Sister on the Ace of Hearts bus - the Smiths?

Tam Watson - also Ace of Hearts - spend more time in the pub than at the game

the deaf or dumb brothers who used to squeal at each other

used to go to the old enclosure and there was an old alky who always

shouted come on my bonny boys come on the boys in marone

Wilf

There was an old guy back in the 80's used to wear a kind of black cossack hat

always bumped in to him after games and he always asked "score with Airdrie?" -must have been first division days

in fact back in the 70's / 80's the Hearts support was packed with characters/nutters/loonies and "special" ones

Edited by ManxJamTart