Characters at Tynecastle from yesteryear

Pans Jambo

hi i was in the manor hearts since the sixties 1966 was my first year.. i seen many funny and strange people in the club.. graham blackwood was there when i first went..he lived in drylaw worked for the bank .had the biggest hmfc programme collection ever 30s.40s, etc. he was like many of us good friends with davie speedie speed ..i dont think crawler ever sold programmes, it was one of crawlers mates tall lad red hair handlebar moustache a big monarchs fan..we had tiny.mad as hell, auld shagger sinclair, gordon cowe . etc.. the manor branch was undoubtably the most famous hearts supporters club ever,, does anybody remember colin brookes bus conviener for a few years.. sadly not with us anymore..gorgie rules....

I do remember Colin very well. Tragic. Still see lots of the boys every week and was down at Liverpool with a few of them including Tam Todds laddie.

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• the general

• Tams bird

• ollie2004

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

bigsuperslim1874

There was a slim small framed skin/punk that went to the Shed, and most away games too during the eighties ... probably in his late teens very early twenties. Wasn't particularly scary, still, he sticks in the mind.

Didn't the boy Jesus/Rasputin/Louie always wear a home-made or C & A maroon & white jumper or cardigan - Classic garb. :thumbsup:

Jesus/Rasputin/Louie is a Hearts icon. When my dad and i would go to all the away games in the 90's we would see him in his 'uniform' - maroon v-neck jumper with hearts badge, drainpipe jeans and sambas. Even away to aberdeen in middle of winter, that was his garb! Legend.

We referred to him as Jamaican Joe and even now, my dad asks on occasion if Jesus/Rasputin/Louie/Jamaican Joe is still spotted at the games.

How many nicknames can one man have!

Can anyone remember big Billy Veal from Tranent?

The angriest man ever! Always looked like he was a heart attack case at games, lovely guy away from the football.

No mentions for sinky? Great wee man, sadly missed.

Somebody did mention wee sinky :thumbsup:

i used to have Billy Veal,Willy Hill,Sinky,China AND Tyson on my bus ....quiet bus :rolleyes:

billythejambo

My Dad is good pals with Wattie Buchan from the punk gigs. Don't know if he gets to as many games as he used to but is still often seen kicking about in the Gorgie/Dalry area.

Karate Keith/Gorgie Dancer is an absolute legend. Heard some of the stories though about how he gets some stick from travelling supporters which is pretty disgraceful. Stays in the Craigmillar area somewhere. Got on the same bus as me and the bird after the derby at Tynie last season. Kept going on about how nice hearty pies were so is now known to me as Hearty Pie. On said journey he also kept threatening to throw some boy off the bus everytime he swore. :lol: Got on my bus once too up the town on a week day, still wearing a Hearts scarf and singing the Hearts song the whole journey. Boy loves the club.

Wee Mandy is a funny wee woman. Total gobsh*te but completely harmless. Always tells me after we lose that she's no coming back for a while. Mind you I rarely see her at the games anymore. Haven't seen her in a while to be honest but seen the big guy she hangs about with all over town.

Although I only got to meet the guy a few short times I have to say I miss wee Sinky. My mate used to go on the same bus as him to a lot of away games a few years back and some of the stories he had to tell were genius. If only the wee man was alive to see the cup final.

One guy I always remember from when I had my first season ticket in lower Main Stand below section T, is quite a short guy with dark spiky hair. Not really a distinguishing guy, but some of the things he used to shout at opposing players were hilarious. Still sits there right down the very front. Drives the buses with Lothian. Remember talking to him after the cup final on the Saturday night in Gorgie. Naturally we were both reeking but I mind him trying to tell me the overtime rate for driving the parade bus was ?19.02. :lol:

Aye, fair to say, we've had some wacky and wonderful characters grace the terraces.

Worked with sinky up at the apc in sighthill, (thats not me in the pic with him btw) those blue docs & his banter gave us many a good laugh.

How many hearts fans had their own song that folk would sing at the game & on buses & pubs ??. Wee sinky had his. True legend & sadly missed.

a7usemu4.jpg

On a side note karate Keith used to go nuts shouting Gary Makays name at games, he loved him. Used to see him often in the old enclosure jumping up & down & clapping like mad at games too. His fashion sense was something to behold, he used to wear random clothes like he'd got dressed in the dark to games, ha ha.. I'll never forget his Cossack dance routine he done in robbo's one night,

Used to see the monkey twins all the time when I lived in Gorgie, they always reminded me of Rumanian ***** out begging, pushing that wheelchair.

Anyone remember Archie the bottle collector from the late 70's ?. Wore a flat cap & an old coat.. Used to go around collecting the empties at games.. Think he came from Blackburn/Whitburn area.. Shouting fergie at him would drive him nuts, don't know why but it did..

The guy on the right used to sit a few rows behind me in the wheatfield, passed away? sad.

billythejambo

Unfortunately we got a pay rise overtime is not so appealing now . Something that always made me smile seeing these four numbers on my wage slip

billythejambo

Unfortunately we got a pay rise overtime is not so appealing now . Something that always made me smile seeing these four numbers on my wage slip

Seymour M Hersh

I always used to see them about Stenhouse cross or thereabouts.

It was jet round the corner from Chesser Ave so probably heading to the X. Maybe to Bains to upset the hobby butchers!! :lol:

SirRudolphofSkacel

Think the Mussleburgh guy is called Louie???

Aye,That description sounds like Louie to me too pal.

He looks more like Bin Laden than Jesus though...

i used to have Billy Veal,Willy Hill,Sinky,China AND Tyson on my bus ....quiet bus :rolleyes:

Some right characters there.

Talkofthetoon1874

Anyone remember Archie the bottle collector from the late 70's ?. Wore a flat cap & an old coat.. Used to go around collecting the empties at games.. Think he came from Blackburn/Whitburn area.. Shouting fergie at him would drive him nuts, don't know why but it did..

Archie is still at it. He now goes into the city centre with his sisters. At night the 3 of them get the First bus 22 or 27/28 back to Craigshill and do everyone's heads in laugh.gif One of his sisters sells the big issue around Stockbridge area, can't remember which one it is, one of them is called Suzie Wong.

He's also goes to Ibrox and Easter Rd down.gif

Edited by Talkofthetoon1874

Looking very lean nowadays

thumbsup.gif

Glad to hear that. He`ll feel a lot better for it. My daughter was up at Blackburn galaday with my pal, at Joanne`s(George`s sister). George had bought her a galaday bag! Gid guy! :thumbsup: Been on Blackburn/Whitburn/Bathgate/Armadale buses many moons ago! Remember Rab Grant and big Jock Burns...and Archie Marshall...all a bit mental!LOL

God he must be an age now cause i remember him as far back as 1975 when i was at school & he seemed ancient then..:woot:.. Always had plastic bags full of empty juice & beer bottles that used to littler the terraces back then.. I used to see him all over scotland at games collecting empties,

What a life eh..:D

Used to see him in the West Lothian, collecting bottles and raking the buckets. Once saw him pull a chip poke out of the bucket and eat the leftover chips that were in it! :yucky:

Creepy Lurker

She matches the descripition of a lady called Mandy, she has a felly called Fred who is another character who used to the sell the programmes, sure he spoke with a lispe. I often see them round about the Southside area. Fred always seems to be going daft at Mandy for one reason or another.

It's not Mandy.

Mandy is a legend. HIYAAAAAA.

Glad to hear that. He`ll feel a lot better for it. My daughter was up at Blackburn galaday with my pal, at Joanne`s(George`s sister). George had bought her a galaday bag! Gid guy! :thumbsup: Been on Blackburn/Whitburn/Bathgate/Armadale buses many moons ago! Remember Rab Grant and big Jock Burns...and Archie Marshall...all a bit mental!LOL

We may have been on the same bus at some point.

I moved to the Linlithgow bus in the late 80's.

Schooled in Bathgate - Airchie was a weel kent face in terms of collecting empties. Anybody that took bottles back for a cash was termed as "doing an Airchie" thumbsup.gif

Talkofthetoon1874

He must be known to a few other fans of teams after all the grounds & time he's been doing this..:lol:..

next time i see him i'll take a pic for here.. :D

You will catch him at MacArthur Glen bus stops in Livingston most days, usually hangs around there waiting for his sisters, then they get the bus into Edinburgh.

the twins had another brother there mum is the sister of the mcanns who had the scrappy at the railway also stayed in the house just beside the raiway at saughton

A guy we used to call "the fat man from Blackhall" ...

In the 70s, the two deaf guys who used to shout the odds at players, in their own way.

Alan "Squarey" Squair, fae YMD.

[/quote

This is just a fantastic thread!

I'm pretty sure the two deaf guys were twin brothers, I think their surname was Hay. They went everywhere watching Hearts, but it was a little spooky when they got mad at something happening on the pitch as all that came out was this high pitched squealing noise.

Graham Blackwood has had a few mentions as well. Nice guy who never went anywhere without that shoulder bag! Had Hearts programmes in it and I'm pretty sure facts and figures books to resolve any footy question.

And the Karate Keith/Gorgie Dancer guy used to sit in the main stand (late 90's/early 2000's) about 10 rows in front of me. I remember the first time I saw him do his full pre match 'routine', with all the mad stretching in time with the players. I couldn't believe it! Thought it had to be a Candid Camera style windup but this guy was for real, in a manner of speaking.

Other people I can remember, but never knew the names of were these guys:

A early to mid 20's guy who was always on his own, probaby cause he didn't seem to have both oars in the river. He used to go mental at the officals (and sometimes opposition players) over the slightest thing. He's get really red in the face and look like he'd explode with rage any moment. This happened at every game, even saw him do it at reserve games.

Once saw him run to the front of the terracing at Tannadice to berate Hamish McAlpine for some imaginary crime. McAlpine looked totally bemused as the verbal tirade continued, trying to work out what he'd done that was so bad to warrant such a bollocking.

There was a massive guy (early to mid 80's) who'd stand at the Gorgie Rd end, but only ever saw him at midweek games. He'd come straight from work in his S & N overalls, and all he ever did was shout out 'come on the Heart of Midlothian' every ten minutes or so, with a gravel voice that was so deep it made Barry White sound like John Inman.

And one final thing - I'm sure I read a while back that Robin Beith, who was heavily involved with the Pans bus, is now living in Spain. Can anyone confirm if this is true? Had some great trips to Europe with these guys.

And one final thing - I'm sure I read a while back that Robin Beith, who was heavily involved with the Pans bus, is now living in Spain. Can anyone confirm if this is true? Had some great trips to Europe with these guys.

I know there are quite a few posters on JKB who are/were members of PPHSC, who may be able to give you more information, but Robin's definitely living abroad now. :thumb.

Not wanting to sound patronising but you can see with a few of these people that Hearts and going to the games are their lives. Wee knobs like Templeton should remember that before they start their pish.

This.

The very fact that many of us are remembering these characters from over the years only underlines the years that WE have put in supporting our team too!

Archie is still at it. He now goes into the city centre with his sisters. At night the 3 of them get the First bus 22 or 27/28 back to Craigshill and do everyone's heads in laugh.gif One of his sisters sells the big issue around Stockbridge area, can't remember which one it is, one of them is called Suzie Wong.

He's also goes to Ibrox and Easter Rd down.gif

The sister sold the Big Issue near Hanover St. If you didn't buy the paper from her she used to start screaming its ok you all have a f****** job I havnt. No but you have a house and are selling a paper & suppose to be homeless... Made her worse...

God he must be an age now cause i remember him as far back as 1975 when i was at school & he seemed ancient then..:woot:.. Always had plastic bags full of empty juice & beer bottles that used to littler the terraces back then.. I used to see him all over scotland at games collecting empties,

What a life eh..:D

Archie McIvor! Hes from Stoneyburn I think, and his sister Susan. He will only speak to my other half in the bank when goes in, just skips the whole queue straight up to her desk! They are also the cousins of Alan McIvor, hes the guy thats always on a bike, with a fag hanging out his mouth, weaving all over the road! Only stops to light another fag! Usualy see him "cycling" along the A71. God only knows how many bumps hes caused....

Graham Blackwood has had a few mentions as well. Nice guy who never went anywhere without that shoulder bag! Had Hearts programmes in it and I'm pretty sure facts and figures books to resolve any footy question.

Graham had the seat right behind me in the Wheatfield from when it was built until he passed away. His name is still on it.

He was indeed a nice guy, and more than one in-match discussion was resolved from an old programme he just happened - uncannily - to have in that effing bag :)

Graham had the seat right behind me in the Wheatfield from when it was built until he passed away. His name is still on it.

He was indeed a nice guy, and more than one in-match discussion was resolved from an old programme he just happened - uncannily - to have in that effing bag :)

I remember a trip to Dens before segregation, we had all decided to move the Dee fans from their usual position at the back of the covered enclosure opposite the main stand. Never saw Boab move so fast in my life as somebody had kicked his backside! :whistling:

Dougie Masterton

Must have got our threads crossed Gasman, I remember Fat Boab aka Crawler, I think his name was Colin Blackwood but something tells me it was Graham, not sure!

Fat Boab did sell programmes beside the bank at the entrance to the Gorgie stand, he also used to wear a suit and trainers. Sadly he died a few years ago similar circumstances to Charlie Balnieves.

Boab was a member of the Manor Branch in the 70's and scary enough he too was a big Edinburgh Monarchs fan. The similarities of the two guys are uncanny! Perhaps you can understand how I picked you up wrong!

His name was indeed Graham Blackwood. He stayed in Wester Drylaw Drive next door to my dad. The song when he came on the bus was Crawlers a barrel Crawlers a barrel of shite shite shite.

Edited by Dougie Masterton

His name was indeed Graham Blackwood. He stayed in Wester Drive next door to my dad. The song when he came on the bus was Crawlers a barrel Crawlers a barrel of shite shite shite.

He always went on about YMD!

Memories are made of this! :whistling:

Edited by ollie2004

Those monkey twins were on a Trisha/Jeremy Kyle programme a few years back now over a fall out with a third brother. Must've needed subtitles!

Mind seeing one of them pushing the mother in the wheelchair up town and as he's struggling to get her on the bus from the kerb, she eventually gets so fed up she starts swearing, gets up, folds her chair and gets on herself!

Me and my mates have always called them the skeletor twins. Not seen them in a while.

hisnameisdrewbusby

Some right characters there.

Tell me about it - if it's that quiet wee bus from Infirmary Street you're on about, I used to collect their money and then try to get them back on the bus after the game. One trip that just came to mind was to Muirton when the Perth police decided to make us park beside the ground and not be allowed into local pubs - so we decided to park up the road past the home end and, funnily enough met the home fans on the way out after the match... Pretty sure a certain cheeky wee character who was sporting a police hat at Anfield last week got 'rescued' from the hands of the law before we went back to the bus.

the twins had another brother there mum is the sister of the mcanns who had the scrappy at the railway also stayed in the house just beside the raiway at saughton

Apparently the family made one of these early morning horror shows - Trisha?

When the brother's wife was asked why they didn't keep in touch with the Edinburgh family, her reply was

'Cos they're stinkin'

Remember Bernie and his dog a parkhead standing beside the cops chatting away to them did the bus members not make a song about Him sure a heard them sing it in the green tree at the time

Edited by j1964m

Craig Gordons Gloves

much more recent but my trips to home games between 2002 and 2006 were always made that little bit more special by the 4 guys that sat beside me, i won't reveal their names as they're great guys but i used to refer to them as the mentalists, as they really were. They would arrive just after kick off, sometimes with pakora or something like that and if the game was boring, they would start play fighting each other. Some of the abuse they would shout made me pish myself at times. Whenever i'm back at Tynie i always try and scoot round at half time to see if i can find them to say hello.

Neilson's Shank

Back in the day I felt that Billy Veal was trying to keep the scarf producing industry afloat, after poor displays or dodgy decisions against the scarf would be thrown onto the track before Billy departed giving his opinion at the top of his voice. Legend

Bernie still works on the tax office and dresses as described. I saw him described on a thread a few weeks back as "the vested Adonis" and I experienced that horrible feeling of coffee running down my nose, no more KB at coffee break.

One that sticks out for me is Tracksuit Cha. Early\mid eighties, came from Bingham I think, and seemed to get lifted every week.

He was nuts, used to seem him all the time in the first division days, often without his eyebrows.....a cert to have done time in Saughton

Remember Bernie and his dog a parkhead standing beside the cops chatting away to them did the bus members not make a song about Him sure a heard them sing it in the green tree at the time

Used to run the Penthouse bus from Tollcross in the late 70s and the Gorgie Sons of William bus from the Ardmillan in the early 80s, yes there was a song , can't remember right now, I'm sure it will come back to me tho.

Yes, that was Graham Blackwood. Another one who lived for the Club. I've got the"Pictorial History of Hearts" (plenty autographs) he co-wrote with David Speed and Bill Smith. I was a member of Manor with him from the 60s to early 70s.

IIRC,we shared our 1st hearts game - Tarff Rovers in the Cup. (B?gger - must be getting old!)

I've worked alongside both Dave Speed and Graham Blackwood and what they don't know about Hearts is not worth knowing.

Always remember Graham sorting me out for a 1996 Cup Final ticket even though I had only known him for a few months through work......always appreciated that. He passed away during our 2005-06 season and I thought of him as we were beating Aberdeen to qualify for the CL. ("Tynie was rocking", he would have said)

China from Broxburn??

The People's Chimp

Jesus is a legend. Glad to see so many other folk call him that :lol:

As far as I can remember he's been part of the Tynie furniture and on the 19th of May when we saw him on our way into Hampden, my brother and I just looked at each other and said "Jesus is here, there's no way we're not going to win this." He's definitely a 'lucky charm.'

Back in the 80s there used to be an old woman, lucky if she was 5ft tall, white hair used to scream at the Hearts players constantly no matter what the score, she sat at the first seaets beside the corner/shed - real character

I've worked alongside both Dave Speed and Graham Blackwood and what they don't know about Hearts is not worth knowing.

Always remember Graham sorting me out for a 1996 Cup Final ticket even though I had only known him for a few months through work......always appreciated that. He passed away during our 2005-06 season and I thought of him as we were beating Aberdeen to qualify for the CL. ("Tynie was rocking", he would have said)

I don't know Graham but David is a lovely guy.

I was speaking to him over a pint and we were talking about his recollection of obscure Hearts players and I then mentioned two guys that I knew that were on our books but never made the first team. When I mentioned the names, he knew them both, even knew the reason one of them was "asked to leave" the club! Next time I saw him, he came up to me and said, rather excitedly, "I've got that information for you, I'll pass it to you later". I had forgotten our conversation and was mystified as to what he had for me, but later on he had photocopies of interviews and pics with the players from various sources. To be honest, one was on the bench for that BP Youth Cup Final at Ibrox and as far as I am aware the other won nothing at youth level. Neither threatened the first team and neither went on to play football to any level but he had interviews and pictures!!! :laugh:

Great guy.

<br />Karate Keith (never heard him referred to as this before), aka the Wheatfield/Gorgie Dancer - me and my pals know him as 'Glovesie' on account of the leather gloves he used to wear in the early 90's. A living legend amongst my crowd for his energetic warm up routines. He's relocated to the bottom of Section A and i have a grandstand view of him from my seat in the Gorgie. I will say one thing and i mean no disrespect - i would not like to sit next to Keith. But still, totally harmless and Hearts to the bone.<br />

<br />

The deaf guy(s). Used to drink in the Ardmillan and sat behind me in the School End when it was first built. Totally radge and by far the loudest people in the ground. I remember one game against Red Star Belgrade when one of them was particularly excitable. Always got the impression the one with the moustache was quite hard despite him looking a wee bit like a Parisian homesexual.<br />

<br />

The Monkees. Broomhouse Boys. We used to get a chase off the (big?) brother when we were younger by singing 'Hey Hey it's the Monkees'. The mother in the wheelchair was an absolute lunatic and she used to leather the laddies. They still go about and weirdly enough i see them a lot in Glasgow where i suspect they are either begging or scamming.<br />

<br />

Jesus - Louie from Musselburgh as above. We used to call him 'Moses'. For some reason we used to always see him in Dundee. The 4-4 LC game sticks out for some reason.<br />

<br /><br /><br />

Don't if it's already been mentioned but the "the monkeys" appeared on Jeremy Kyle a few years back, never saw the episode but was told about it. They all used to go to St Nicks beside the old Tynie Annexe, many a fight between us in 1st or 2nd year and the "specials" next door lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Monkees. Broomhouse Boys. We used to get a chase off the (big?) brother when we were younger by singing 'Hey Hey it's the Monkees'. The mother in the wheelchair was an absolute lunatic and she used to leather the laddies. They still go about and weirdly enough i see them a lot in Glasgow where i suspect they are either begging or scamming.

You got chased from the big brother....lol Michael was just as dippit but a bit cleaner , and their dog is just as minging....always had mange

They used to stay next door to me in broomie grove , with the mums boyfriend.

Them were the days