Characters at Tynecastle from yesteryear

Pans Jambo

I remember a guy me and my mate called the bald eagle as he looked like one.Way back in late 80s. He claimed to know everything about the great Heart's team that lost to Killie in 65.

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• the general

• Tams bird

• The Gasman

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Restonbabe

So many people that are now gone from yesteryear. now a days and most of them are part of the 500 club that built the gorgie stand.their names will never be forgotten. surprised no one mentioned John McCutcheon (bungle) from the balgreen/stenhouse area. I know him from being my dad's neighbour. Drank in the wheatshief and BMC club.

And of cource Jane Rankin she is a massive loss to the hearts community.

Gone but not forgotten RIP

the general

The two deaf guys everyone is talking about are actually my dad's friends - Peter and John Hay.

They both followed hearts everywhere for years and were in a matchday programme in the 70s.

One of them has moved away to England now so that's why people might not see them as often at Tynecastle nowadays.

sure they travelled with longstone

So many people that are now gone from yesteryear. now a days and most of them are part of the 500 club that built the gorgie stand.their names will never be forgotten. surprised no one mentioned John McCutcheon (bungle) from the balgreen/stenhouse area. I know him from being my dad's neighbour. Drank in the wheatshief and BMC club.

Knew John for many years travelled on the same bus from Craigmillar. We were at Celtic Park in the 80/90's cant remember. We parked at the Celtic end for some reason. After the game John was having a pee at side of bus , Celtic fan pushed him over and peed down his own leg. Had a seat to himself all the way home.

undisputed truth

When did Jane pass away..??

The deaf guy in the 1980s, who when shouting, had a voice like a dog whistle.

He mostly sat on the long plastic benches, but you'd hear him at away matches too.

Strangely, I never did see his face.

Maybe it was all in my head?

He was an older guy (back then). Maybe late 40s. Remember him too. It was away games I heard his dog whistle shouting. There was also a guy under the shed with a swastika tattooed on his forehead. Sure his name was Danny. Back in the old Gorgie aggro/Gorgie Skins days. He looked pwopa naughty.

Edited by EH11_2NL

There was also a guy under the shed with a swastika tattooed on his forehead. Sure his name was Danny. Back in the old Gorgie aggro/Gorgie Skins days. He looked pwopa naughty.

Danny Cameron. I was at school with him, proper headcase. Wasn't actually that handy in a fight but nobody wanted to fight him as he went for the nearest object he could use as a weapon.  

Clerry Jambo

I remember big Bernie arguing wi the polis at ibrox he was telling them that the dog had been to every game that season

he still hangs about gorgie

Big Bernie was in the Station prior to the Rangers gemme, boys never changed in 30 years!!!

Travelled with the Pivot bus in the early seventies.Some real characters on that bus. Somebody mentioned a guy called Kenny Baxter

in an earlier post brought memories of a trip to Aberdeen back to me . We stayed on until the pubs closed and when we went home half the bus were in the cells for the night Kenny included iirc.

Another name that sticks out at me is Colin aka the Walrus because of his moustache. Folk used to knock a rise out of him because he spoke rather posh and too educated like for us. Used to see him around Tynecastle until about mid eighties but just wondered what happened to him and some of the others real die-hards they were.

The Pivot was a popular Hearts bus at that time we used to run two buses to most matches and even had standing room only on the bus to Dumbarton the game after the infamous 0-7 match. 

J.T.F.Robertson

Travelled with the Pivot bus in the early seventies.Some real characters on that bus. Somebody mentioned a guy called Kenny Baxter

in an earlier post brought memories of a trip to Aberdeen back to me . We stayed on until the pubs closed and when we went home half the bus were in the cells for the night Kenny included iirc.

Another name that sticks out at me is Colin aka the Walrus because of his moustache. Folk used to knock a rise out of him because he spoke rather posh and too educated like for us. Used to see him around Tynecastle until about mid eighties but just wondered what happened to him and some of the others real die-hards they were.

The Pivot was a popular Hearts bus at that time we used to run two buses to most matches and even had standing room only on the bus to Dumbarton the game after the infamous 0-7 match.

Travelled regularly on that bus, China and his cronies. Was there a "Crawler", or am I mixing him up with another club?

smallfaces

Yes I have seen him loads of times over the years he goes to games home and away. I have a cousin called Kenneth Chapman and I am sure he used to go to the games with him.

i remember him sometimes had a geeky looking bird with him!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blind Les - don't think he goes to many games these days. The bird became his then wife and was shagging his then best mate. Didn't last.

The Monkey Twins - complete nutters of a family, are they still selling the Evening News on Princes Street, wheeling the mum around?

Karate Keith - a true legend of Tynecastle for as long as I can remember. Some of his tight fitting trackies during his warm up routines left little to the imagination. Seemed to follow me around as I moved from Wheatfield to Main stand...

Louie - THE true PHM. Still occasionally see him if I'm passing through Musselburgh. An almost ever-present on the Musselburgh/Prestonpans/East Lothian bus in the dark, old, first division days. Straight from Bruntons, onto the bus to Montrose or Forfar or whatever hell-hole we were destined to draw against that day. Still wearing the colours to this day - forever in his shadow.

My Pivot times were with Billy Combes, Chucky Reid and Pomeigne all great guys all radio rental.

The White Cockade

The Walrus died a few years back I think we called him Hagar

I think Crawler was Graham Blackwood

I think he has gone as well

A blast from the past and a great guy.

Loved the Pivot especially our trips to Aberdeen and Texaco cup games.

Now i cant get Colins face out my head 

:)

:(

I am sure crawler was the Manor

Edited by JAYEL

airthjambo

Big Bernie was in the Station prior to the Rangers gemme, boys never changed in 30 years!!!

Saw Bernie in pub at Cowdenbeath before Brad Mckay penalty game.Never changed

Travelled regularly on that bus, China and his cronies. Was there a "Crawler", or am I mixing him up with another club?

Sadly, Crawler aka fat boab, who was a member of the Manor Branch is no longer with us. I believe his name was Graeme (apologies if wrong spelling) Blackwood.

Edited by ollie2004

andythejambo

I think Walrus passed away a good few years back..... I remember an early trip to Perth, when we used to have to go through Glenfarg.... he was busting for a pee, and asked the driver to stop..... the driver said no, but agreed to open the door.....He was in full flow, hanging on to the pole ... when we went round a bend... he spun all the way round ....and pissed all up the steps. He normally went to the matches with his mate, who was of similar appearance, without the moustache.

As for other characters on the Pivot.....

Kenny Baxter, as mentioned above, Wee Frannie, China Thomson, Rod Henretty, Dougie Archibald

STITCH@PIVOT

Don't forget wee Fergie, jimmy frame, hobby, billy anderson, deek briley, alan aitchison, stevie curran, paul blurto and many more radges. few of us from jocks lodge, bingham, Craigmillar, portobello, magdalene end of town. Best bus then and always whoever travelled with the PIVOT over the years.

With a P and an I and a V O T ....!

J.T.F.Robertson

Sadly, Crawler aka fat boab, who was a member of the Manor Branch is no longer with us. I believe his name was Graeme (apologies if wrong spelling) Blackwood.

Had feeling it might not be the Pivot ..... been a long time.

J.T.F.Robertson

Yeah, that name rings a bell.

Anyone remember Jim Malcolm or the Oreamus(sp) brothers, Dominic and, cannie mind the younger one's name.

gashauskis9

Mentioned this on a similar thread some time ago, but an old felly who used to stand close to us in the school end late 80s/early 90s who would only ever shout "Come on Mackay, earn yer corn".

Stewart MacD

Yes. Graham Blackwood.  Lived for Hearts.

the general

Yes. Graham Blackwood.  Lived for Hearts.

aye sadly he died a few years ago.latterly im sure he helped Davie Speed and the late John Kerr with the historial side

he was also a big Scotland fan and loved his football

the general

Don't forget wee Fergie, jimmy frame, hobby, billy anderson, deek briley, alan aitchison, stevie curran, paul blurto and many more radges. few of us from jocks lodge, bingham, Craigmillar, portobello, magdalene end of town. Best bus then and always whoever travelled with the PIVOT over the years.

With a P and an I and a V O T ....!

wee Fergie still goes to all the games but now sadly he is a bit of a jessie and usually travels by train ( in first class no less )

I remember a guy who used to have 'Steven Pressley 18' on the back of his shirt when we first signed him. Used to sit down the front of Section A or B.

:rofl:

The Gasman

wee Fergie still goes to all the games but now sadly he is a bit of a jessie and usually travels by train ( in first class no less )

:D

The Gasman

....latterly im sure he helped Davie Speed and the late John Kerr with the historial side....

You're right mate, he did. :thumb:

The two deaf guys everyone is talking about are actually my dad's friends - Peter and John Hay.

They both followed hearts everywhere for years and were in a matchday programme in the 70s.

One of them has moved away to England now so that's why people might not see them as often at Tynecastle nowadays.

John and Peter were mates with my pal Phillip and are really nice guys last time I saw John was on tv presenting part of see hear.

Yea they did travel with longstone,I travelled with them and my mates for a year or so.

77/78 ish

Big Bernie?

Bernie.

Drank in the Penthouse at Tollcross.

Got thrown down the stairs on more than one occasion.

I saw him send his dog onto the pitch atParkhead once then ran on after it!

Christ knows how he got the dog into the ground!

Last time I saw him was two years ago outside Robbos in Gorgie Road.

Is Bernie the guy with the KKK tattoo then, aye?

You need to remember to be an old school "character" some unsavoury views are a bonus.

MacDonald Jardine

Bernie.

Drank in the Penthouse at Tollcross.

Got thrown down the stairs on more than one occasion.

I saw him send his dog onto the pitch atParkhead once then ran on after it!

Christ knows how he got the dog into the ground!

Last time I saw him was two years ago outside Robbos in Gorgie Road.

That dog was ever present for a while.

MacDonald Jardine

He apparently featured in some tv documentary in a hood.

noidletalk81

Wee Sinky?

Great shout, surprised he hadn't surfaced on this thread already!

Grew up not far from him on Whitson Road and played street fitba for many a year before moving to Balerno. Naturally lost touch, until we crossed paths many years later one boltic midweek evening at Cappielow '78/79 season (if memory serves me correctly), in the bogs mixing Tizer and Vody...pre match refreshments! :)

Never met anyone as passionate and dedicated to the club as he was, don't think I ever will!

RIP wee man!

N Lincs Jambo

If it's the same guy I'm thinking of, once saw him at a pre-season friendly in the school end with a T-shirt with the words "Long Kesh - Imprisoned for Loyalty" on the back. Didn't quite have the bottle to ask him what that was all about.... Would have been about 1981-82?

WorldChampions1902

Indeed he was. I can still remember the cruel Manor members to the tune of, "Roll Out The Barrel", singing, "Crawler's a barrel, Crawler's a barrel of s***e, s***e, s***e!". As a kid, I never understood the p-taking he put up with on the Browning's coaches to away matches. He loved the club with a passion and co-wrote a couple of books including The Pictorial History.

Another notable Manor character was Colin Campbell. A really chilled guy who enjoyed a few 'herbal' tabs on the bus whilst listening to Cat Steven's music cassettes including tracks such as the 'Inter-galactic Laxative' (no sh*t). Then there was Deeks with the long red hair, whose party trick was to inhale and exhale butane gas from a lighter refill aerosol. Not content with that madness, he would hold a lighted match to his mouth as he exhaled the gas and this human blow torch would proceed to melt the red vinyl off the head rest on the bus seat in front of him.

How I came through those crazy years unscathed is a minor miracle. One thing I will never forget though is that all the members looked out for you and whenever there was any bother at away games, they always took care of their own.

Indeed he was. I can still remember the cruel Manor members to the tune of, "Roll Out The Barrel", singing, "Crawler's a barrel, Crawler's a barrel of s***e, s***e, s***e!". As a kid, I never understood the p-taking he put up with on the Browning's coaches to away matches. He loved the club with a passion and co-wrote a couple of books including The Pictorial History.

Another notable Manor character was Colin Campbell. A really chilled guy who enjoyed a few 'herbal' tabs on the bus whilst listening to Cat Steven's music cassettes including tracks such as the 'Inter-galactic Laxative' (no sh*t). Then there was Deeks with the long red hair, whose party trick was to inhale and exhale butane gas from a lighter refill aerosol. Not content with that madness, he would hold a lighted match to his mouth as he exhaled the gas and this human blow torch would proceed to melt the red vinyl off the head rest on the bus seat in front of him.

How I came through those crazy years unscathed is a minor miracle. One thing I will never forget though is that all the members looked out for you and whenever there was any bother at away games, they always took care of their own.

I remember a few especially Crawler.and the song

I was still at school when i used to go with the Manor before moving up to the Pivot.

Had a great education :)

WorldChampions1902

I remember a few especially Crawler.and the song

I was still at school when i used to go with the Manor before moving up to the Pivot.

Had a great education :)

I was a member from around late 1971 till I think 1976. Maybe you're Deeks?? ;-)

Thomson1874

John and Peter were mates with my pal Phillip and are really nice guys last time I saw John was on tv presenting part of see hear.

Yea they did travel with longstone,I travelled with them and my mates for a year or so.

77/78 ish

Yeah, both really nice guys. I know Peter well but not John since he moved to England.

I don't think Bernie is his real name. My fiance knew him as Ian. They travelled on a full bus to QOS in the 70's and only 4 came back that night, rest in the cells !

I don't think Bernie is his real name. My fiance knew him as Ian. They travelled on a full bus to QOS in the 70's and only 4 came back that night, rest in the cells !