Characters at Tynecastle from yesteryear

Pans Jambo

3 hours ago, Cisco1914 said:

The clerie bus Morgan ?

that's funny , i was on the clerrie bus and we walked the bridge too . we were in pub before though. maybe i was on about that game unless it happened at stirling too :laugh:

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• the general

• Tams bird

• The Gasman

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, SwindonJambo said:

Is that the mixed race guy who used to have impressive dreadlocks? At the tail end of the 80s, I was up for a visit and as we were away at Tannadice I waited outside Haymarket station where supporters club buses often picked up ‘loose’ fans to fill empty seats. As my luck would have it, I was picked up by Musselborough and it was said dreadlocked Jambo who welcomed me aboard and took my fare.

The very man

My gran told a story, being at a game and a fan hurling racial slurs at Willie Miller. She was about to turn round and tell the man it was bang out of order only to her shock discover it was none other than louis giving the verbals!!

Doctor FinnBarr
55 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Quite sure BJ.

The time I’m referring to was a match in which there was so little interest within our club for going to Shielfield that they ran a mini-bus and parked over the other side of the river. I’m positive about this as it was the first ‘away’ game I took my wife to.

It was Colinton Mains Hearts, she’ll never forget it!

Fair enough bud, in the early days of Blackburn/Whitburn when we just took a 12 0r 16 seater we could pretty much park where ever the hell we wanted to

Jingle Bells

Could there be some confusion here with the Whitley Bay(?) incident, when a Jambo punter, decked out, sneaked onto the pitch and headed in a Hearts corner?

15 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

That is a cracking photo.   I am front row, second from the right.    That was an early team shot and as we developed a few more came on board for some games, Welshy, James Hine, Pilley now and again etc.  Youngy and Stan turned out as well.  

Any idea where this was taken and who we were playing?

Mikey D

Mike - your mailbox is full. I've put these photos up before and I think you commented before (years ago) ... there are a couple of others.

13 hours ago, bikerjambo said:

Fair enough bud, in the early days of Blackburn/Whitburn when we just took a 12 0r 16 seater we could pretty much park where ever the hell we wanted to

Actually been speaking about that Berwick trip with my wife this morning.

She recalls that, as I took her along ‘unannounced’ as it were, that there were no seats left in the mini-bus so the driver or the guy who ran the club (can’t remember which) put a small plank of wood across the aisle resting on a seat either side, for her to sit on!

These were the days :rolleyes:

14 hours ago, Cisco1914 said:

Can't remember that one Morgan but we could be talking about the same guy?Wish I had kept notes of all the wee towns/grounds and pre season tours?

:)

This was a guy who got so drunk at every away game that he never saw the damn football. Fair play to him though, he never missed a match.

Went to Munich with him and he approached a street vendor selling scarves, flags etc and said to her, in broad Edinburgh accent ‘How’s business the day hen’?

She didn’t answer :)

1 minute ago, jambovambo said:

Jeesh ... "for her to sit on" ? You unchivalrous sod !

I know, as soon as I hit ‘Submit reply’ I knew, just knew someone would pick up on that!!

On 04/09/2012 at 08:42, Meadows said:

Somebody did mention wee sinky :thumbsup:

i used to have Billy Veal,Willy Hill,Sinky,China AND Tyson on my bus ....quiet bus :rolleyes:

pivot ?

joondalupjambo
4 hours ago, jambovambo said:

Mike - your mailbox is full. I've put these photos up before and I think you commented before (years ago) ... there are a couple of others.

Yeah remember I saw a photo of a SCAB away day with a group of us standing outside the bus.  Think it was in a Stan Wood thread, maybe around about his passing?   Anyway just checked and my mailbox is only 6% full so perhaps the size of the photos is the problem.   Maybe not.  Just tried to send you a PM and says that your user name cannot receive e-mails.  Kickback renewal, checked that and mine is not until 9th January so that should not be the problem.

Edited by joondalupjambo

been here before
19 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

Is that the mixed race guy who used to have impressive dreadlocks? At the tail end of the 80s, I was up for a visit and as we were away at Tannadice I waited outside Haymarket station where supporters club buses often picked up ‘loose’ fans to fill empty seats. As my luck would have it, I was picked up by Musselborough and it was said dreadlocked Jambo who welcomed me aboard and took my fare.

Rasta Jambo? At least thats what we used to cakl him if its the same dude. Tall, thin...

18 hours ago, Jefferson Davis Hogg said:

What about the two brothers I used to see regularly. Think they went with their mum to the games. They were nicknamed ' the monkey brothers' due to their striking resemblance. 

18 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Did they sell the Pink News round the pubs on a Saturday after the game??

18 hours ago, Jefferson Davis Hogg said:

Not sure bout that but I'm positive they sold the news on princes street in one of those wee booths. 

Aye them two. Sure they stayed for a while in Wester Hailes somewhere. Im positive one of them turned up for a while in my class at secondary.

They used to always wear matching black bomber jackets and push their mum about in a wheelchair that she never actually needed. She was a sort of Little Britain inspiration.

At least one, if not both, sold The News and Scotsman I think at the bottom if the Bridges by Wellingtins Statue. They had these real high pitched chimp like shrieking voices that would carry for miles when they called out "Evening News... Scotsman...". Im sure I seen one if them quite recently.

On 4 September 2012 at 08:42, Meadows said:

Somebody did mention wee sinky :thumbsup:

i used to have Billy Veal,Willy Hill,Sinky,China AND Tyson on my bus ....quiet bus :rolleyes:

Christ, what a lineup. Never before has there been so many radges among so few - as Churchill would say. Would love to see that group together again. And I thought the Penicuik bus in the seventies was mad!!!

51 minutes ago, been here before said:

Rasta Jambo? At least thats what we used to cakl him if its the same dude. Tall, thin...

Aye them two. Sure they stayed for a while in Wester Hailes somewhere. Im positive one of them turned up for a while in my class at secondary.

They used to always wear matching black bomber jackets and push their mum about in a wheelchair that she never actually needed. She was a sort of Little Britain inspiration.

At least one, if not both, sold The News and Scotsman I think at the bottom if the Bridges by Wellingtins Statue. They had these real high pitched chimp like shrieking voices that would carry for miles when they called out "Evening News... Scotsman...". Im sure I seen one if them quite recently.

Correct.

They also sometimes pitched up outside what became the big Santander branch on the corner of Shandwick Place and Queensferry Street.

Very odd looking pair they were too.

Seymour M Hersh
On 02/01/2018 at 17:36, joondalupjambo said:

Do you also remember Dave Pilley from the SCAB bus, he also played in the SCAB football team at centre half?  Sadly he passed last year , only 60.  

Youngy and I caught up at the funeral, first time we had seen each other for donkeys years.

I've know Dave since the 60's when we all (Welshy, DP, Hiney, evil Bry and others) played football at the tip on Queensferry Rd. Very saddened to hear this news. Back in the late 80's (prior to Dave's "marriage") we drank every Friday in Styx. 

Coburg Hearts
6 hours ago, Morgan said:

Actually been speaking about that Berwick trip with my wife this morning.

She recalls that, as I took her along ‘unannounced’ as it were, that there were no seats left in the mini-bus so the driver or the guy who ran the club (can’t remember which) put a small plank of wood across the aisle resting on a seat either side, for her to sit on!

These were the days :rolleyes:

I would have you walking the plank for not giving up your seat for your wife. ;)

4 minutes ago, Coburg Hearts said:

I would have you walking the plank for not giving up your seat for your wife. ;)

:gok:

I’ll show her your post :thumb:

On 03/09/2012 at 14:48, farin said:

Here's Keith aka "the gorgie dancer".. Mad as a box of frogs but lives for hearts tbh.

dyqu9a6u.jpg

Fairly sure this is the boy that I was sat next to versus Killie at Murrayfield - Upper Section, East Stand, sort of nearer to the goal line than anything else. 

Absolutely mental for the first half, then he just disappeared! Lots of random clapping, or double claps, and gesturing towards the away fans. In particular, lots of scarf adjusting and sort of presenting the scarf to the away fans!  It was infuriating and amusing in equal amounts. 

Not sure about the maroon trousers, but he pretty much nails the description.

Anyone able to confirm if it's the same guy? 

3 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I've know Dave since the 60's when we all (Welshy, DP, Hiney, evil Bry and others) played football at the tip on Queensferry Rd. Very saddened to hear this news. Back in the late 80's (prior to Dave's "marriage") we drank every Friday in Styx. 

Yes, I was very sad to hear the news about Dave too.  I used to work in the same insurance company as him. He was a good guy. 

AlphonseCapone
6 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

Yeah remember I saw a photo of a SCAB away day with a group of us standing outside the bus.  Think it was in a Stan Wood thread, maybe around about his passing?   Anyway just checked and my mailbox is only 6% full so perhaps the size of the photos is the problem.   Maybe not.  Just tried to send you a PM and says that your user name cannot receive e-mails.  Kickback renewal, checked that and mine is not until 9th January so that should not be the problem.

Mate, in that last link you can scroll left and right through other pictures which might be the ones you are looking for.

joondalupjambo
6 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Yep that is where I first met him as well.  I chummed him up road to the park and played every week and am still knocking around with Hamish and see Bri, Hiney and Youngy now and again.   Only seems like yesterday.   Did you know about Welshy passing as well?

Seymour M Hersh
5 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

Yep that is where I first met him as well.  I chummed him up road to the park and played every week and am still knocking around with Hamish and see Bri, Hiney and Youngy now and again.   Only seems like yesterday.   Did you know about Welshy passing as well?

I did know about Welshy and that was a huge shock as well. Last time I saw Hiney and Hamish was at the unveiling of the Contalmaison Cairn in 2004.

18 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

Hmmm ... interesting - I'll have a look at my settings ...

Other poster is right - you can click right/left and see the other photos.

On 25/12/2017 at 22:30, Dougie Masterton said:

The guy your describing was Graham Blackwood. His nickname was crawler. 

Remember him well, and all the Colin's, good days

Brauhauser2012
On 12/26/2017 at 11:35, Morgan said:

Anyone mind Jesus from the corner of the Shed?

He sometimes would stand behind the goals at the Roseburn stand back in the early 80's. I was in primary school at the time and can remember him from when my Uncles would take me to games. He had a lot more hair then  (as did I).

2 minutes ago, Brauhauser2012 said:

He sometimes would stand behind the goals at the Roseburn stand back in the early 80's. I was in primary school at the time and can remember him from when my Uncles would take me to games. He had a lot more hair then  (as did I).

Somehow, the thought of him without hair spoils the memory.

Wish you hadn’t told me that :lol:

August Landmesser
On ‎03‎/‎09‎/‎2012 at 15:56, Buffalo Bill said:

The deaf guy in the 1980s, who when shouting, had a voice like a dog whistle.

He mostly sat on the long plastic benches, but you'd hear him at away matches too.

Strangely, I never did see his face.

Maybe it was all in my head?

I remember him - balding with a 'tache, me and my Dad used to stand in the School End from around 1988 onwards and he was often near us - really high-pitched shouting, and he got irate A LOT

On 5/28/2015 at 14:27, punkrockcroc said:

There was always a group of guys who stood at the old wooden pie hut at the end of the she who called themselves "the Saville travel". Can't imagine anybody calling themselves that these days, unless their on a death wish.

Yep, they were the first organised bunch of lads who travelled out with the Football Specials just before the casuals arrrived on the scene, there was also the Hearts Service Crew who were mostly from the Moredun area, again, on the scene before the casuals. I remember them at Shawfield at the League Cup tie back in 1982 looking awfy suspicious .

27 minutes ago, Smoked-Glass said:

Someone called china i seem to remember 

Aye, China was pretty well known.

Shanks said no

I've not been in Benson's this season but China was nearly always in there in seasons past. Absolutely top bloke and given the respect he deserves from those who know him. I was with my wife there and explained he was a bit of a legend, she got chatting to him and turned out her mum and him grew up together.

On 5/23/2015 at 22:59, Thomson1874 said:

The two deaf guys everyone is talking about are actually my dad's friends - Peter and John Hay.

They both followed hearts everywhere for years and were in a matchday programme in the 70s.

One of them has moved away to England now so that's why people might not see them as often at Tynecastle nowadays.

Had a drink with John Hay the other week in London. Great guy and very knowledgeable about Hearts. 

He's moving back to Edinburgh so you might see him a bit more at games 

GC

ginger jambo98
On 02/01/2018 at 20:43, joondalupjambo said:

That is a cracking photo.   I am front row, second from the right.    That was an early team shot and as we developed a few more came on board for some games, Welshy, James Hine, Pilley now and again etc.  Youngy and Stan turned out as well.  

Any idea where this was taken and who we were playing?

Mikey D

Team that day, Evil Bri, Kev A, Davy McL, Boorie, Neil C, Dode S, Rab A, front row, Jimmy H, Hoolie, Andy P, not sure but maybe Ackie M, Mikey D, Graeme R. Missing from photo me (Bruce P, Stan, Hiney and Welshie). Think that photo was a preseason friendly down at Bingham at a school pitch.

ginger jambo98
19 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Not heard it called the tip for ages, quality playing surface apart from all the dogshit !

Seymour M Hersh
2 hours ago, ginger jambo98 said:

Not heard it called the tip for ages, quality playing surface apart from all the dogshit !

It was really good. I see the've managed to virtually kill it off for kids to play football on it now. Council schmucks! 

J.T.F.Robertson
On Monday, December 25, 2017 at 15:30, Dougie Masterton said:

The guy your describing was Graham Blackwood. His nickname was crawler. 

On Monday, December 25, 2017 at 20:00, Coburg Hearts said:

John is indestructible haha

I knew China and Crawler (also a few other "characters") when we used to travel with the Pivot. Was some bus.

Coburg Hearts
4 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

I've not been in Benson's this season but China was nearly always in there in seasons past. Absolutely top bloke and given the respect he deserves from those who know him. I was with my wife there and explained he was a bit of a legend, she got chatting to him and turned out her mum and him grew up together.

He is one of the best. For those who can't place him, they might know him better as the hatkicker. (protesting about Vlad) :)

joondalupjambo
23 hours ago, ginger jambo98 said:

Team that day, Evil Bri, Kev A, Davy McL, Boorie, Neil C, Dode S, Rab A, front row, Jimmy H, Hoolie, Andy P, not sure but maybe Ackie M, Mikey D, Graeme R. Missing from photo me (Bruce P, Stan, Hiney and Welshie). Think that photo was a preseason friendly down at Bingham at a school pitch.

Think you are spot on with all the names, it is all coming flooding back, thanks for the memories.  It is indeed Ackie, me and then Graeme as the last three in the front row at the right hand side.  Also well done on the location, again that is ringing a lot of bells.  Now then what was the result? :huh2:  I think we may have been humped!!  :rolleyes2:

On 04/01/2018 at 13:43, The Frenchman Returns said:

I got head butted off China once. Lived to tell the tale but wasn’t very pleasant!

Remember there was an old guy sat in the benches in the shed always used to shout "you're an Arab referee an Arab " I still have no clue what this meant 

Johnny Two Pies
On 05/01/2018 at 14:33, cookieboy said:

Remember there was an old guy sat in the benches in the shed always used to shout "you're an Arab referee an Arab " I still have no clue what this meant 

I think there used to be a derogatory phrase ‘cheating Arab’.

16 minutes ago, Johnny Two Pies said:

I think there used to be a derogatory phrase ‘cheating Arab’.

Aye 'cheating Arab' was definitely an expression.

3fingersreid
1 hour ago, farin said:

keith used to do the pre match warm up with the players from his seat in Sec A of the wheatfield years ago, sleeves rolled up etc. Amusing to those that could see it as long as you didn't actually sit to close to him.:laugh: 

no idea where he sits now tbh..

Lower T 

On 04/01/2018 at 18:14, Coburg Hearts said:

He is one of the best. For those who can't place him, they might know him better as the hatkicker. (protesting about Vlad) :)

Is China still on the go? Haven't seen him for ages.

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

Aye 'cheating Arab' was definitely an expression.

Maybe an expression that was used but a bit harsh on Dundee Utd!!!!!

24 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Maybe an expression that was used but a bit harsh on Dundee Utd!!!!!

Nothing is too harsh for Dundee United!

Coburg Hearts
2 hours ago, smiler said:

Is China still on the go? Haven't seen him for ages.

Not seen him for ages myself, but know he was in Belfast at the Linfield game, pre-season.

He usually sits in the Gorgie stand but don't know about this season.