Characters at Tynecastle from yesteryear

Pans Jambo

SirRudolphofSkacel

I know there are quite a few posters on JKB who are/were members of PPHSC, who may be able to give you more information, but Robin's definitely living abroad now. :thumb.

Aye Robin is retired and living in spain. He was over for the final though and ended up at a party in my mum and dads house when we got back from hampden. Great night.

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• the general

• Tams bird

• ollie2004

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No not that china, who is sadly missed as well.

Was wondering, good mate of mine who as you say is sadly missed. Cant remember him being on many supporters buses but nothing would ever surprise me with China!! Still remember turning round to him in upper main stand when we were about 15 and saying 'what are you singing?' his reply 'what i always sing. R-T-A, R-T-S!! if you cannae spell it then heres what it says!!' cue years of piss taking, would gie anything to spend another afternoon at Tynie wi that man! Legend!!

Never known the Gorgie Dancer to be called Karate Keith, tbh.

As for characters. Do the monkey twins still go to games? Both used to sell Evening News' on Princes Street and as I recall went to games with their old dear.

Also, the "couple" that go to a lot of games that are a little simple. She was short with dark hair in a 90's curtains style and he was a bit older and not as simple as he made out. ;)

Mandy & Freddie

The Broomhouse Twins with the mother in the wheelchair - Jeez, I feel like I'm back in the Saughton Mains summer playscheme! :lol:

I think one of them is called Gilbert. Did they not used to sell the Evening news up town?

As for Sinky, he reminds me of the great 90s era of the Wheatsheaf. I remember his brother too. Both now gone.

As for 'Mandy', I think I once had they most obscure converation with her, after a 2-1 home defeat to St Johnstone in 2009.

Mandy: 'Excuse me, are you a Hearts fan?'

Me (standing at the back of the Wheatfield Stand): 'Yes'.

Mandy: 'Were you are the game today?'

Me (standing at the back of the Wheatfield Stand): 'Yes'

Mandy: 'What was the score?'

Me: 'We lost 2-1'.

Mandy: 'Who were we playing?'

Me: 'St Johnstone'

Mandy :'What was the score?'

Me: 'We lost 2-1'.

Mandy: 'Are you a Hearts fan?'

:what:

Edited by Buffalo Bill

Hagar the Horrible

No one has mentioned Stan, Stan (Wood) the fossil man

Ah ... SCAB Hearts ...

I dont think he went to that many games appat from a few seasons (80 - 81) but was as mad as a box of frogs, he was once on Blue Peter and insisted they got a close up of his Hearts bag, madee a fortune out of fossils he was David Wiers agent

Edited by Hagar the Horrible

Colonel Kurtz

I dont think he went to that many games appat from a few seasons (80 - 81) but was as mad as a box of frogs, he was once on Blue Peter and insisted they got a close up of his Hearts bag, madee a fortune out of fossils he was David Wiers agent

Karate keith comes from Moredun,he used to have a notebook and would write down the names of anybody misbehaving in the Tynie Arms post game.

His nickname was Mr Muscles after the guy who did the routine on opportunity knocks..due to his warm up routine

A few other charactars.

The 2 Jimmies who ran the Cabin bus.

Spanish George who ignored the smoking ban in the old stand.

Going back many years there used to be a boy who wore a frank spencer raincoat fully belted up whatever the weather and stood exactly at the halfway line whenever the turnstiles opened.

Alfy Wright who ran the Rob Roy buses and later Robins Nest.

Edited by Colonel Kurtz

Great thread.

To all those characters from the past and the present and those yet undiscovered, you are more to the club than David, third div, Templeton and all the other greedy imposters who have worn the jersey. The fans are the real fabric of our great institution. Gorgie Rules.

Karate Keith (never heard him referred to as this before), aka the Wheatfield/Gorgie Dancer - me and my pals know him as 'Glovesie' on account of the leather gloves he used to wear in the early 90's. A living legend amongst my crowd for his energetic warm up routines. He's relocated to the bottom of Section A and i have a grandstand view of him from my seat in the Gorgie. I will say one thing and i mean no disrespect - i would not like to sit next to Keith. But still, totally harmless and Hearts to the bone.

The deaf guy(s). Used to drink in the Ardmillan and sat behind me in the School End when it was first built. Totally radge and by far the loudest people in the ground. I remember one game against Red Star Belgrade when one of them was particularly excitable. Always got the impression the one with the moustache was quite hard despite him looking a wee bit like a Parisian homesexual.

The Monkees. Broomhouse Boys. We used to get a chase off the (big?) brother when we were younger by singing 'Hey Hey it's the Monkees'. The mother in the wheelchair was an absolute lunatic and she used to leather the laddies. They still go about and weirdly enough i see them a lot in Glasgow where i suspect they are either begging or scamming.

Jesus - Louie from Musselburgh as above. We used to call him 'Moses'. For some reason we used to always see him in Dundee. The 4-4 LC game sticks out for some reason.

Gilbert, Thomas, Michael she would shout, I remember them well, the mum had a strong Irish accent. Not seen those guys for years!!

BB yes they used to go round the bars selling the pink on a Saturday night.

Edited by primrose

The Manor Bus in the 60's was a good bus. Many names have been mentioned already but Willie Withers appears to have been forgotten. Without him I doubt the Manor Branch would have survived! Great man! I used this bus from around 64 until we left as it was going downhill around 1970. Travelled other wise for a few years before moving south. Sadly the 60's saw some of the worst heart of Midlothian performances imaginable! But I was there! I remember the cost cutting that required the use of cheap buses, and the many bus companies that refused to run football specials. Those that did gave us the oldest bus going. We once went to Tannadice on a Wednesday by a 'Boni's' mini bus driven by a psychopath. How fast he went through Glenfarg I would hate to compute! We knew fear that night!

the windae cleaner

One that sticks out for me is Tracksuit Cha. Early\mid eighties, came from Bingham I think, and seemed to get lifted every week.

Punk cha. Lol. He was nuts. Always trying to jump the wall at the graveyard when we went to Easter road.

One that sticks out for me is Tracksuit Cha. Early\mid eighties, came from Bingham I think, and seemed to get lifted every week.

Charlie McKena from Bingham used to have a pint now and then with him haven't seen him in ages last time I spoke to him he was going to move to Sunderland as he was in and out of prison a lot

Also his mate pie scruffy guy with dreadlock matted hair from same period early mid 80's he must have got his act together as he was better dressed last time I seen him think he was working as a labourer again it's been years since he was seen.

Think the Mussleburgh guy is called Louie???

He sure is,Jesus is from the Danderhall area,he used to get on our bus (Pans Hearts),not seen him for a season or so TBH.

Only shared 1 coach trip with Sinky (Jose Jearts bus from Robbo's, before it was Robbo's), but was PMSL the whole way! He kept singing about "Bryan Riggs, Bryan Riggs, running down the wing...". We all got locked out of Tannadice that night, tried the home end, no joy, so spent the next hour or so running around the allotments behind the stand, trying to "break in"?! Ruined my brand new (cream) Henry Lloyd jacket falling off a shed into a cabbage patch. Seemed sensible at the time....

Aye Robin is retired and living in spain. He was over for the final though and ended up at a party in my mum and dads house when we got back from hampden. Great night.

I'll see him in a few weeks,crowd of us are going over to Benalmadena,sure Beathie is in Marbella,sat next to him and Owenson for years in the Wheatfield,what a guy.

SirRudolphofSkacel

I'll see him in a few weeks,crowd of us are going over to Benalmadena,sure Beathie is in Marbella,sat next to him and Owenson for years in the Wheatfield,what a guy.

Was in Liverpool with Owenson last week, known them both since I was a laddie. Proper Hearts fans.

Surely not,spoke to him at Anfield,lost a lot o weight but still going strong. :thumbsup:

And still game. He was wanting to take a younger guy outside a pub in Kirkcaldy after the Raith friendly over an argument on who the biggest Hearts fan was.

Jesus/Rasputin/Louie is a Hearts icon. When my dad and i would go to all the away games in the 90's we would see him in his 'uniform' - maroon v-neck jumper with hearts badge, drainpipe jeans and sambas. Even away to aberdeen in middle of winter, that was his garb! Legend.

We referred to him as Jamaican Joe and even now, my dad asks on occasion if Jesus/Rasputin/Louie/Jamaican Joe is still spotted at the games.

How many nicknames can one man have!

The penny has just dropped, know exactly who you are talking about and I haven't gone to Tynie regularly for over 20 years! Seem to remember him looking a bit like Peter Sutcliffe.

The penny has just dropped, know exactly who you are talking about and I haven't gone to Tynie regularly for over 20 years! Seem to remember him looking a bit like Peter Sutcliffe.

Speaking of Sutcliffe got on the West End bus a couple of times and on the way to Parkhead one day we picked up a guy with a beard at Drumbrae roundabout when spotted by the back seat boys it resulted in a chorus of one Peter Sutcliffe. As my mate said later why did n't the boy just shave the beard off?

The Manor Bus in the 60's was a good bus. Many names have been mentioned already but Willie Withers appears to have been forgotten. Without him I doubt the Manor Branch would have survived! Great man! I used this bus from around 64 until we left as it was going downhill around 1970. Travelled other wise for a few years before moving south. Sadly the 60's saw some of the worst heart of Midlothian performances imaginable! But I was there! I remember the cost cutting that required the use of cheap buses, and the many bus companies that refused to run football specials.

This. Willie was the mainstay of the Manor. Lovely guy.

We had a regular bus driver "Bud" for a while.

This. Willie was the mainstay of the Manor. Lovely guy.

We had a regular bus driver "Bud" for a while.

Ah yes, Bud, drove the SMT bus for years.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Mandy & Freddie

Mandy gets on my bus on Thursday lunchtimes. Likes to ask everyone what they are doing at the weekend. Caught some pleb taking the piss out of her at the benches beside the Rutland last year and made him look like a ***** for his troubles.

I used to work next to Dougstar, does that count?

Colonel Kurtz

He sure is,Jesus is from the Danderhall area,he used to get on our bus (Pans Hearts),not seen him for a season or so TBH.

Jesus used to drink in the Cabin,now drinks in the Waverley lounge bar,he comes from a lot nearer they pubs thsn Danderhall.

He only goes to away games now as his protest aagainst Romanov.

Mandy gets on my bus on Thursday lunchtimes. Likes to ask everyone what they are doing at the weekend. Caught some pleb taking the piss out of her at the benches beside the Rutland last year and made him look like a ***** for his troubles.

I used to work next to Dougstar, does that count?

What did you do to make him look like a ****?

Guest Bilel Mohsni

What did you do to make him look like a ****?

Told him that he was a coward and that his calling her a ~~~~~ while making derogatory noises in a ham-fisted attempt to humiliate her made him look like a prick. The guy who was with Mandy said thanks and Mandy was visibly relieved to no longer have someone waving and mocking her loudly and publicly. Sorry, was I wrong for doing this now?

Edited by Shaun William Ryder

Told him that he was a coward and that his calling her a ~~~~~ while making derogatory noises in a ham-fisted attempt to humiliate her made him look like a prick. The guy who was with Mandy said thanks and Mandy was visibly relieved to no longer have someone waving and mocking her loudly and publicly. Sorry, was I wrong for doing this now?

What a strangely defensive post to a simple question :mellow:

So defensive, in fact, that it makes me wonder if this is the full story? :o

Guest Bilel Mohsni

What a strangely defensive post to a simple question :mellow:

So defensive, in fact, that it makes me wonder if this is the full story? :o

Lost me. I have spoken to her loads of times and most people just politely give her the time of day, this bloke was doing impressions of her and looking around for approval from passers by. The defensive bit is probably because you enjoy a wee bit if piss taking and I was expecting some kind of reason as to why I shouldn't have said what I did.

Edited by Shaun William Ryder

Lost me. I have spoken to her loads of times and most people just politely give her the time of day, this bloke was doing impressions of her and looking around for approval from passers by. The defensive bit is probably because you enjoy a wee bit if piss taking and I was expecting some kind of reason as to why I shouldn't have said what I did.

Just as I thought. Raged out and kerb stomped him until his jaw was in more bits than the average Kinder Surprise toy :(

I just hope it wasn't another adolescent child you took to task :o

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Just as I thought. Raged out and kerb stomped him until his jaw was in more bits than the average Kinder Surprise toy :(

I just hope it wasn't another adolescent child you took to task :o

It was a man in his thirties, he was calling the girl all kinds of offensive names, I got him to stop doing so. There was no physical violence... This obsession you have with me is understandable Tommy, but I cannot help think you might be missing out on other life-enriching experiences because of it... ninja.gif

Why you so mad honey? laugh.gif

My group of mates have always know Karate Keith as Paraphanalia Man, a kind of Jambo superhero. Regularly see him in the Tynie Arms before and after games.

Used to sit nest to Barney Rubble and Fred Flintstone in Lower Section T years ago. 2 mates who used to go with their kids who were very very similar to the cartoon.

Read this thread last night. Saw one of the monkey twins on Princes St this morning. Weird.

not very nice speaking about a hearts fan with a disability

Edited by ando

Can remember most of these characters and a few more - Derek and Janice, a bro and sis combo who didn't miss a game in at least 30 years - not seen them in a while but lived for the JT's.

Anyone on here ever go on the Cross Keys bus - few well 'kent' faces from those days also still see knocking around tynie.

Does make me laugh now when you consider how times have changed the ahem...good natured banter of the 70's and 80's would see some considerable time at her majestys pleasure now a days.

I don't think under 25 would believe just how crazy it was following Hearts back then, don't think I ever came back from parkhead with all the bus windows in one peice, fires on the terracing, the songs, the fighting in and around the grounds, almost akin to Argentinian football these days :lol:

HamishMcGonagall

Jesus used to drink in the Cabin,now drinks in the Waverley lounge bar,he comes from a lot nearer they pubs thsn Danderhall.

He only goes to away games now as his protest aagainst Romanov.

he was at the dundee game, in the main stand. i know him, i used to get on the bus from the store club in musselburgh

Can remember most of these characters and a few more - Derek and Janice, a bro and sis combo who didn't miss a game in at least 30 years - not seen them in a while but lived for the JT's.

Anyone on here ever go on the Cross Keys bus - few well 'kent' faces from those days also still see knocking around tynie.

Does make me laugh now when you consider how times have changed the ahem...good natured banter of the 70's and 80's would see some considerable time at her majestys pleasure now a days.

I don't think under 25 would believe just how crazy it was following Hearts back then, don't think I ever came back from parkhead with all the bus windows in one peice, fires on the terracing, the songs, the fighting in and around the grounds, almost akin to Argentinian football these days :lol:

from broomhouse saw janice with her sister must have been the first time i have seen without deek ...always wear hearts colours

It was a man in his thirties, he was calling the girl all kinds of offensive names, I got him to stop doing so. There was no physical violence... This obsession you have with me is understandable Tommy, but I cannot help think you might be missing out on other life-enriching experiences because of it... ninja.gif

Why you so mad honey? laugh.gif

A lot more bluster in this post than in the PM you sent :o

A lot more bluster in this post than in the PM you sent :o

You mean to say he sent a PM too??

:muggy:

If people are going to have a wee "debate" can they ensure it's carried out in public for all of us to see??

:jjyay:

Read this thread last night. Saw one of the monkey twins on Princes St this morning. Weird.

They lived beside my brother in Stenhouse for a while. Thunk they got evicted. At Armed forces day a few years ago they were there with their mum. A lot of the high head ones came across to speak to the mum. All seem to know her.

A good thread being spoiled by petty stuff. Ffs guys get a room for your man

Love.

:lol:

I just asked the guy what he did, made a joke and he's gone off on one. Strange :turned:

A guy we used to call "the fat man from Blackhall" ...

In the 70s, the two deaf guys who used to shout the odds at players, in their own way.

Alan "Squarey" Squair, fae YMD.

He was feckin off his trolley - lives in Loanhead now