• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• i8hibsh

• Dawnrazor

• Maple Leaf

• Governor Tarkin

I am in touch with some school buddies and its our 25th year re-union this year. One of those is vegan. He looks at least 10 years older then me and about to die. He looks so ill. Skin and bones and in need of a carvery.

I smoke like a chimney, drink like a fish, have taken more class A's than all the primary school teachers in Scotland and still look better for it than him!

Its actually (in my opinion) a very dangerous path to take. I get the "why" they do it and do to a point admire it. However it is not good for the body no matter what anyone says.

2 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Not having eggs or milk because it is cruel to the animal

:facepalm:

nah ... not having eggs or milk because they are unhealthy - not so good for your heart and cows milk can promote cancer growth.

6 minutes ago, jambo_ said:

nah ... not having eggs or milk because they are unhealthy - not so good for your heart and cows milk can promote cancer growth.

I would not believe everything you read. Everything is bad for you seemingly. Milk is drunk all over the world by the vast majority of people from cradle to the grave. Eggs are one of the most universally recognised 'health foods' going. People just get cancer. It sucks but it has absolutely nothing to do with milk.

37 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

I would not believe everything you read. Everything is bad for you seemingly. Milk is drunk all over the world by the vast majority of people from cradle to the grave. Eggs are one of the most universally recognised 'health foods' going. People just get cancer. It sucks but it has absolutely nothing to do with milk.

Not necessarily cows milk though. A large amount of milk consumption is from goats milk (or even ****ing horse milk in Mongolia from what I've heard, ****ing horse milk!). Still, I'm sure someone somewhere will say there's probably some health risk with goats milk too. 

They tend to proper stink too. If I can stereotype further then they are mainly progressive leftists, never worked a day in their life and blame government and capitalism for everything.

Governor Tarkin
30 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

They tend to proper stink too. If I can stereotype further then they are mainly progressive leftists, never worked a day in their life and blame government and capitalism for everything.

You've just about described me to a tee, mate. You only missed out my LGBT tendencies.

Now leave the vegans alone or I'll be round to put you in a dress and give you a good bumming.

9 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Anyone met a vegan before that did not make a point of telling you that they were a vegan within a minute of first meet (pun intended)?

Yes.  I know many vegans and their topics of conversation are the same as any else's

9 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Not having eggs or milk because it is cruel to the animal

:facepalm:

Why the face plant?  It's true.

Production of eggs and production of cow's milk involves enormous cruelty to animals.  You might not care, and that's up to you, but that doesn't change the facts.  But it's enough to dissuade many people.

4 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

That's a load of uninformed ignorant nonsense.  You have to be trolling.  Hundreds of millions of people around the world are vegan from birth to death, and you say they tend to stink.

Get a grip of yourself.

Seymour M Hersh
3 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

That's a load of uninformed ignorant nonsense.  You have to be trolling.  Hundreds of millions of people around the world are vegan from birth to death, and you say they tend to stink.

Get a grip of yourself.

Not sure there are anywhere near that many of what we in the west would describe as vegan ml.

4 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Yes.  I know many vegans and their topics of conversation are the same as any else's

Why the face plant?  It's true.

Production of eggs and production of cow's milk involves enormous cruelty to animals.  You might not care, and that's up to you, but that doesn't change the facts.  But it's enough to dissuade many people.

I am a big animal lover. I don't need to paint my hair blue, hate Donald Trump, eat tofu, drink soy and not shower for a month to prove it. A hen will lay an egg and a cow will produce milk regardless of human intervention. It is nature. Farming in civilised countries really care and look after their animals. Most decent people in civilised, non barbaric medeival countries will only buy free range etc and ensure the product was sourced and farmed in a humane way.  The food chain is not going to change regardless of our personal beliefs.

4 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Get a grip of yourself.

I mean in 'our' world i.e the West. I am CLEARLY not talking about a Nepalese family living high up in the ****ing Himalyayas ffs.

I'm not vegan. Been vegetarian for 30 years though and in my experience meat eaters are ****ing obsessed with what veggies/vegans eat whilst most of us couldnt give a toss what others eat. 

Veganism is obviously very faddy just now and it is so much easier than when I started. My biggest vices are ice cream and milkshakes but I actually prefer the vegan options now.

Anyway, I certainly ain't the preachy type but since i8 is being such an arsehole...

Enjoy!

20 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

I am a big animal lover. I don't need to paint my hair blue, hate Donald Trump, eat tofu, drink soy and not shower for a month to prove it. A hen will lay an egg and a cow will produce milk regardless of human intervention. It is nature. Farming in civilised countries really care and look after their animals. Most decent people in civilised, non barbaric medeival countries will only buy free range etc and ensure the product was sourced and farmed in a humane way.  The food chain is not going to change regardless of our personal beliefs.

Depends how many people you classify as "decent". I'd guess most people don't buy free range, nor understand what that means , nor care if their milk is sourced humanely.

A hen will lay an egg and a cow will produce milk without human intervention - but not 10 billion eggs a year, nor 11 billion litres of milk.

The Internet
5 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Get a grip of yourself.

I wouldn't worry to much. He used almost word for word the same paragraph to describe 'millennials' which I'm sure in his mind covers everyone up to the age of about 25. I think he just hates young people. 

Kind of ironic that it was eating cooked meat that made us clever enough to invent veganism and scientifically develop the supplements that many vegetarians and (particularly) vegans have to take to stay healthy.

1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

Not sure what veganism has to do with personal hygiene?  I know a few vegans and they aren't unclean.  Bizarre comment, imo.  Not like you to play the stereotype card i8!

Not all farmers look after there livestock as you seem to think, however I would concede that where possible I would buy free range and organic where possible.

Ironically though, medieval farming practices are probably more "right on" than the industrial scale we have in the West, but there you go.

Regrads the food chain, it can change - if the consumer demands it.

13 minutes ago, Boris said:

Not sure what veganism has to do with personal hygiene?  I know a few vegans and they aren't unclean.  Bizarre comment, imo.  Not like you to play the stereotype card i8!

Not all farmers look after there livestock as you seem to think, however I would concede that where possible I would buy free range and organic where possible.

Ironically though, medieval farming practices are probably more "right on" than the industrial scale we have in the West, but there you go.

I clearly stated that it was a stereotype to be fair Boris and I do not think all farming is ethical and sensible. Of course there are some hygienic vegans but generally speaking (which is one of life's norms) they tend to be of the 'unkept' variety.

16 minutes ago, Boris said:

And of course it can change if the consumer demands it. In this case it does not. The vast majority of people in this and most othet countries I imagine are not vegan. I, as always will go with the majority's demands and wishes.

6 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

I clearly stated that it was a stereotype to be fair Boris and I do not think all farming is ethical and sensible. Of course there are some hygienic vegans but generally speaking (which is one of life's norms) they tend to be of the 'unkept' variety.

:rofl:

4 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

And of course it can change if the consumer demands it. In this case it does not. The vast majority of people in this and most othet countries I imagine are not vegan. I, as always will go with the majority's demands and wishes.

I must have missed the bit where vegans were demanding us all to follow suit.  Any I have met have never been evangelical about it.

A note about majorities...just because there is one, doesn't mean that they are right.

Just now, Boris said:

I must have missed the bit where vegans were demanding us all to follow suit.  Any I have met have never been evangelical about it.

A note about majorities...just because there is one, doesn't mean that they are right.

Often there is no right or wrong. What is the right or wrong on leaving the EU? What is right however is to go with majority opinion at all times. That my friend is the sweet scent of democracy. We used to have it in the UK before majority of decisions started to be demanded to be overturned by it's people and not respected by our governments.

9 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Often there is no right or wrong. What is the right or wrong on leaving the EU? What is right however is to go with majority opinion at all times. That my friend is the sweet scent of democracy. We used to have it in the UK before majority of decisions started to be demanded to be overturned by it's people and not respected by our governments.

Are you familiar with Aristotle and his six foms of government?

Majority rule can be as deviant and tyrannical as a dictatorship or oligarchy.

By what you have written above, should the majority wish to slay every first born child, you would be happy with that, as it is the wish of the majority.  An extreme example, but one that makes the point regards the fallibility of majority rule.

Also, we have never had it in this country.  Never.  That's why we elect a government.

Money4NothingDrinks4Free

So much negativity towards veganism on this thread, it is ridiculous.

I personally became vegan 2 years ago and have never looked back.

The thought of eating an innocent animal makes me feel sick. 

It pains me to think about how many animals lose their lives only for their meat to be wasted.

Veganism is a superior way of life, the health benefits are extraordinary and you become part of a society of like minded people.

Save the animals, save the planet, save your life! 

MEAT IS MURDER

I have to say I find the carnivore fundamentalists to be more aggressive and smelly than the vegans. I did see a vegan kick the **** out of a carnivore fundamentalist in my local a few years ago, but he was provoked by the carnivore chucking a chunky chicken at him. What all of this contributes to the debate I don't know and don't care.

Governor Tarkin
37 minutes ago, Boris said:

Are you familiar with Aristotle and his six foms of government?

i8?

Bindy Badgy

I8 having a mare again.

I8, you may want to have a look at the big long announcement at the top of the forum.

Edited by Stokesy

1 hour ago, Money4NothingDrinks4Free said:

It pains me to think about how many animals lose their lives only for their meat to be wasted.

Veganism is a superior way of life, the health benefits are extraordinary and you become part of a society of like minded people.

MEAT IS MURDER

Although I fully respect your chosen way of life (why would anyone not) I need to ask your thoughts of animals murdering animals to survive?  Do you think a Lion jumping on a Zebra and ripping it to shreds is murder or nature?

1 hour ago, Stokesy said:

I8 having a mare again.

I8, you may want to have a look at the big long announcement at the top of the forum.

Can't exactly miss it.

Edited by i8hibsh

1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

i8?

Everyone is very intelligent behind a computer.

1 hour ago, Money4NothingDrinks4Free said:

MEAT IS MURDER

I stopped eating farmed meat about a year ago, only have it very occasionally if we're eating out or at friends, I eat game and venison that I shoot, I know exactly where it comes from then, I don't drink cows milk because of the lactose or eggs because of the cholesterol but your post smacks of the sanctimonious tripe that vegans preach that turn people against VEGANS not veganism. "MEAT IS MURDER" :clyay: aye right Morrisey!!! 

1 hour ago, Stokesy said:

I8 having a mare again.

I am intrigued however. How is the announcement by admin above relevant to me on this thread? Am I hunting in packs? Am I personally abusing another poster? I get personal abuse on here (look no further than Governor Tarkin's post above) but I never give it. Feel free to go through my 25k posts.

Edited by i8hibsh

19 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Really? :greggy:

7 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Really? :greggy:

Honestly man, I could start a thread on Latin literature post fall of the roman empire or classic Lute tunes during the renaissance era and the usual suspects will frantically google then come on and post as if they have been studying it their entire lives.

2 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Honestly man, I could start a thread on Latin literature post fall of the roman empire or classic Lute tunes during the renaissance era and the usual suspects will frantically google then come on and post as if they have been studying it their entire lives.

Yep :laugh:

Governor Tarkin
52 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Some of us are very intelligent in front of a computer too.

One of the smartest things a person can do is make sure they only get involved in arguments where they're confident of the subject matter.

A simple but effective tactic.

As the old adage goes, 'it's preferable to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt'.

I'm not for one minute implying that you're not very intelligent, just that I find the notion that you may be familiar with Aristotelian ethics/politics amusing - given your track record of posting.

I think Boris was being naughty.

:thumbsup:

1 minute ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Some of us are very intelligent in front of a computer too.

One of the smartest things a person can do is make sure they only get involved in arguments where they're confident of the subject matter.

A simple but effective tactic.

As the old adage goes, 'it's preferable to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt'.

I'm not for one minute implying that you're not very intelligent, just that I find the notion that you may be familiar with Aristotelian ethics/politics amusing - given your track record of posting.

I think Boris was being naughty.

:thumbsup:

Does knowing a lot about Aristotle make you intelligent?  I know little about Aristotle but know lots about other subjects.  There is lots I know and lots I do not in life in general.  I'm pretty decent on history, music, politics and geography but I am not very good at science.

I consider myself smart enough and I usually have 2 cents to add to most subjects, I am also extremely good at general knowledge (was even on the TV!).

What is the rule though?  What subjects make you smart?  What books make you smart?  I have just finished a book called ‘The Strange death of Europe’ but it is not an Aristotle book so not sure where it ranks.  Maybe I just don’t give a **** either way?

Governor Tarkin
9 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

What is the rule though?  What subjects make you smart?  What books make you smart?  I have just finished a book called ‘The Strange death of Europe’ but it is not an Aristotle book so not sure where it ranks. Maybe I just don’t give a **** either way?

Don't take it to heart, mate. Nobody's an expert on everything - well, apart from one guy.

Solid choice of reading material there too. An intriguing subject and one with some notable historical precedents, although this particular tome will probably serve to reinforce your own prejudice and convictions rather than challenge them (you asked what makes smart people smart).

Anyway, vegans, smelly *******s. Tie dye'd home made hemp clothing wearing lesbians the lot of them. They probably welcome the death of Europe too as it ties in nicely with their right-on,  West hating, lefty ideals.

Now what dress size are you?

Money4NothingDrinks4Free

Although I fully respect your chosen way of life (why would anyone not) I need to ask your thoughts of animals murdering animals to survive?  Do you think a Lion jumping on a Zebra and ripping it to shreds is murder or nature?

In that scenario, or any similar, it is of course nature. If a lion kills it generally has a purpose, to feed its cubs or to protect them.

However slaughtering thousands of chickens, pigs, cows etc for their meat to be wasted cannot be supported by this argument. 

2 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Don't take it to heart, mate. Nobody's an expert on everything - well, apart from one guy.

Solid choice of reading material there too. An intriguing subject and one with some notable historical precedents, although this particular tome will probably serve to reinforce your own prejudice and convictions rather than challenge them (you asked what makes smart people smart).

Anyway, vegans, smelly *******s. Tie dye'd home made hemp clothing wearing lesbians the lot of them. They probably welcome the death of Europe too as it ties in nicely with their right-on,  West hating, lefty ideals.

Now what dress size are you?

I know an English guy who lives in South America who knows ****ing absolutely everything.  

I am fitting into a 24 nowadays.

p.s I don't think all vegans smell, I haven't met them all.  I have met many that do and some who don't.

Edited by i8hibsh

1 minute ago, Money4NothingDrinks4Free said:

In that scenario, or any similar, it is of course nature. If a lion kills it generally has a purpose, to feed its cubs or to protect them.

However slaughtering thousands of chickens, pigs, cows etc for their meat to be wasted cannot be supported by this argument. 

I am fully against hunting for sport and fun, like so much so it makes my blood boils.  I prefer animals to humans.

I do however support nature and like it or not it is not just our nature it is the nature of the 5 billion species who have ever lived on our planet.  

Some sanctimonious vegan on a moral high ground trip (certainly not aimed at you) does not change this or never will.

what a great thread.

yo hibby lions eating zebra is natural cause lions are 'real' carnivores .... humans are not 'real' carnivores the human body is designed to predominately consume plant based foods.

just my 2p worth

2 minutes ago, jambo_ said:

what a great thread.

yo hibby lions eating zebra is natural cause lions are 'real' carnivores .... humans are not 'real' carnivores the human body is designed to predominately consume plant based foods.

just my 2p worth

The entire history of the human race will contradict your statement.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

50 billion chickens raised and killed every year worldwide. 50 billion. **** me. 

Just decided to do a bit of reading. The arguments for giving up meat and dairy seem pretty overwhelming tbh. It'd be freaking hard though. 

1 minute ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

50 billion chickens raised and killed every year worldwide. 50 billion. **** me. 

Just decided to do a bit of reading. The arguments for giving up meat and dairy seem pretty overwhelming tbh. It'd be freaking hard though. 

It is very hard. I sometime ago cut back. To me that is a good compromise.