Vegans

Generic Username

14 minutes ago, FWJ said:

That’s what I think.

I don’t expect to be everyone’s best friend but neither is my default to dislike everyone else or even to assume I will dislike them.

Seems that makes us unusual.

One of the biggest tolls of the brain- and morality-rotting rabble that people like i8 follow is that they attempt to destroy in people our very natural, evolved sense of empathy and caring for one another.

In the US it started with Ayn Rand, and has only gotten worse and worse since the 60s, with no end in sight.

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• i8hibsh

• Dawnrazor

• Maple Leaf

• Governor Tarkin

12 hours ago, FWJ said:

That’s a shame.

I had always thought that your curmudgeonly misanthropy was merely an online affectation.  If it is genuinely your personality I’m enough of a people person to feel sorry for you.

Which, of course, you can resent and dismiss as unnecessary and condescending.

Normally I steer clear, however in this occasion I shall make an exception.  Do you think your verbosity adds anything at all to the conversation??

7 hours ago, lauriesrank said:

Normally I steer clear, however in this occasion I shall make an exception.  Do you think your verbosity adds anything at all to the conversation??

Yes.

Edited by FWJ

54 minutes ago, Highlander said:

I am a vegan...

*ducks for cover*

Well done. It must be hard to stay vegan when you smell meat cooking away.  

Until a 

8 minutes ago, Herbert said:

Well done. It must be hard to stay vegan when you smell meat cooking away.  

Up until a few years ago, I was full on carnivore but went vege' and then vegan. Haven't looked back.

Never really smell meat cooking as there is never any meat cooking in our house. 

11 minutes ago, Highlander said:

Until a 

Up until a few years ago, I was full on carnivore but went vege' and then vegan. Haven't looked back.

Never really smell meat cooking as there is never any meat cooking in our house. 

I couldn't go vegan. Part time veggie would be ok but nowt beats a Sunday roast or a big plate if mince and tatties.

1 hour ago, Highlander said:

Until a 

What made you go vege then vegan?

1 hour ago, Herbert said:

I couldn't go vegan. Part time veggie would be ok but nowt beats a Sunday roast or a big plate if mince and tatties.

Herbert, I totally understand mate, I think that is a line most vegans have used at one point in their lives. My strongholds were Steak Pie and Bovril at football, Cooked Breakfast, Kung Po Chicken and, like you, Sunday Roast. With the exception of the bacon roll, which I no longer miss, I have variations on all of the above. 

2 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

What made you go vege then vegan?

Hi Milky. A few years back, I stumbled across some articles on the health effects versus benefits of meat and dairy but kept it to myself as my wife cooked most of the meals. She, however, ended up watching Netflix documentaries like Forks over Knives, What the Health and Cowspiracy and wanted to try being vege' and I made it clear I was happy to do so too. To our surprise, we really liked it and decided to stick but, to be honest, that was the big change as moving from vege' to vegan was only a small transition which involved eliminating milk from my tea and coffee, which now I don't even notice. Anytime I get the urge for a Ploughman's, there is an excellent cheese equivalent we have a ready supply of in our fridge. 

For me, the health benefits have been the primary driver though. Since I eliminated dairy, I have never had a cold or a chest infection, which I used to get regularly.    

3 hours ago, Highlander said:

Herbert, I totally understand mate, I think that is a line most vegans have used at one point in their lives. My strongholds were Steak Pie and Bovril at football, Cooked Breakfast, Kung Po Chicken and, like you, Sunday Roast. With the exception of the bacon roll, which I no longer miss, I have variations on all of the above. 

Hi Milky. A few years back, I stumbled across some articles on the health effects versus benefits of meat and dairy but kept it to myself as my wife cooked most of the meals. She, however, ended up watching Netflix documentaries like Forks over Knives, What the Health and Cowspiracy and wanted to try being vege' and I made it clear I was happy to do so too. To our surprise, we really liked it and decided to stick but, to be honest, that was the big change as moving from vege' to vegan was only a small transition which involved eliminating milk from my tea and coffee, which now I don't even notice. Anytime I get the urge for a Ploughman's, there is an excellent cheese equivalent we have a ready supply of in our fridge. 

For me, the health benefits have been the primary driver though. Since I eliminated dairy, I have never had a cold or a chest infection, which I used to get regularly.    

Those documentaries you mention are very hard to watch.

Half of my family are vegans, the other half (including me) are omnivores.  Like you, the vegan half are the healthiest.  Giving up dairy is easy, once you recognise how bad the dairy industry is ... giving up cow's milk, butter and cheese are small sacrifices to make.

What I find surprising is the hostility toward vegans from some people.  One poster on this thread has stated that he hates vegans. Have you encountered anything like that?  I noted your "ducks for cover" comment earlier. 

AlphonseCapone
On 29/11/2018 at 00:57, Maple Leaf said:

Like the woman ordering at a restaurant 

"I'm Muslim, my husband is an observant Jew, my son is gluten free and my daughter has a nut allergy, what can you get us?" 

"a ****ing taxi" said the waiter! 

Is that as funny, less funny, or equally funny?

It's equally funny Maple, why wouldn't it be? I'm a comedy purist though, no one gets a pass if the comedy is simply that and especially when done cleverly. 

As for vegans, being honest, it's hard not to have a dislike for them until you actually think about it. And the reason is simply that a lot of people like myself who don't know many personally just get bombarded with the extremists on the news or social media. It biases you like everything else. 

However, vegans for me, are simply like any other people that we categorise in that if they are simply doing their thing and not causing any harm or interfering to/with others about their views then I don't mind them. The same goes for the religious or misanthropes. I actually found out the other day at work someone I speak to is a vegan, only realised as someone asked them how the vegan options were at a restaurant. That's the way it should be imo, something that comes up in general conversation, not something thrust. I'm sure the majority are like this and as I said we get overloaded with the nutcases on the news. 

Personally, I've reduced the amount of meat I've been eating for the last 6 months or so. I still eat meat and have eggs, cheese etc. My motivations are purely selfish from a health point of view.

That said I'm not sure there are enough longitudanal studies that have been able to control for confounding variables like natural health consciousness, genetics etc to say that vegan diets really do without reasonable doubt increase your life significantly. Even if they did, I'll lose the 5 years to enjoy the things I like. Aye that might make me selfish etc but alas it's the truth. You won't convert me to even being vegetarian but I certainly go out my way to help the planet in other ways.

Live and let live or don't be dick in other words. 

53 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

It's equally funny Maple, why wouldn't it be? I'm a comedy purist though, no one gets a pass if the comedy is simply that and especially when done cleverly. 

As for vegans, being honest, it's hard not to have a dislike for them until you actually think about it. And the reason is simply that a lot of people like myself who don't know many personally just get bombarded with the extremists on the news or social media. It biases you like everything else. 

However, vegans for me, are simply like any other people that we categorise in that if they are simply doing their thing and not causing any harm or interfering to/with others about their views then I don't mind them. The same goes for the religious or misanthropes. I actually found out the other day at work someone I speak to is a vegan, only realised as someone asked them how the vegan options were at a restaurant. That's the way it should be imo, something that comes up in general conversation, not something thrust. I'm sure the majority are like this and as I said we get overloaded with the nutcases on the news. 

Personally, I've reduced the amount of meat I've been eating for the last 6 months or so. I still eat meat and have eggs, cheese etc. My motivations are purely selfish from a health point of view.

That said I'm not sure there are enough longitudanal studies that have been able to control for confounding variables like natural health consciousness, genetics etc to say that vegan diets really do without reasonable doubt increase your life significantly. Even if they did, I'll lose the 5 years to enjoy the things I like. Aye that might make me selfish etc but alas it's the truth. You won't convert me to even being vegetarian but I certainly go out my way to help the planet in other ways.

Live and let live or don't be dick in other words. 

Good post.  :thumb:

Extremists, no matter the cause, get too much attention and frequently detract from the message.

5 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

What I find surprising is the hostility toward vegans from some people.  One poster on this thread has stated that he hates vegans. Have you encountered anything like that?  I noted your "ducks for cover" comment earlier. 

That was an excellent post! 

In response to your question, I suppose it is like Muslims who say they live according to a religion of peace while their co-followers blow themselves up or Christians who err on the side of grace while their co-followers demonstrate against war veterans and homosexuals and Joe Public doesn't know who to believe.

Having become vegan in my thirties along with my wife and kids, you just kind of own the fact that there are some trumpets in your cohort who like to stand outside chicken factories with their sandwich boards and chuck tatties at farmers. The media does not present the quiet ones, like me, who live and work like everyone else and travel to St Mirren Park on a frosty Saturday afternoon to watch their team get pumped 2-0.

So I don't honestly think whoever said they hate vegans really hate vegans like me who, truthfully, are probably a lot like them. They probably just hate the understanding they currently have of vegans and fair enough, I advocate both their right to hate whoever they please and recognise the perception they have of those they hate, while in a minority, still exist.

Therefore, the "ducks for cover" comment is a reflection of the fact that the mere mention of the word vegan immediately conjures up in the minds of many the image of the multi-coloured and dread-headed "mon the spiders" moron from Chewin' the Fat.

That's not who I am but, for some, it may be who they think I am... and I accept that.

4 hours ago, Highlander said:

That was an excellent post! 

In response to your question, I suppose it is like Muslims who say they live according to a religion of peace while their co-followers blow themselves up or Christians who err on the side of grace while their co-followers demonstrate against war veterans and homosexuals and Joe Public doesn't know who to believe.

Having become vegan in my thirties along with my wife and kids, you just kind of own the fact that there are some trumpets in your cohort who like to stand outside chicken factories with their sandwich boards and chuck tatties at farmers. The media does not present the quiet ones, like me, who live and work like everyone else and travel to St Mirren Park on a frosty Saturday afternoon to watch their team get pumped 2-0.

So I don't honestly think whoever said they hate vegans really hate vegans like me who, truthfully, are probably a lot like them. They probably just hate the understanding they currently have of vegans and fair enough, I advocate both their right to hate whoever they please and recognise the perception they have of those they hate, while in a minority, still exist.

Therefore, the "ducks for cover" comment is a reflection of the fact that the mere mention of the word vegan immediately conjures up in the minds of many the image of the multi-coloured and dread-headed "mon the spiders" moron from Chewin' the Fat.

That's not who I am but, for some, it may be who they think I am... and I accept that.

Are you a proper vegan, or one of those who likes a fish supper on the fly.

6 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Are you a proper vegan, or one of those who likes a fish supper on the fly.

HaHa. No, I am the real deal! 

But... up until January this year, I led a charity in Scotland and we were opening a project in Shetland. The lady running the project invited I and my colleague over for dinner.

She did not know I was vegan and served up a roast chicken. Rather than saying anything, I ate the whole thing and it was only after we left her home that my colleague recalled I was vegan.

In that instance, I was more willing to sacrifice my ethical position than make her feel like crap. To this day, I have never told her about that. And, before anyone asks, the roast chicken was rank rotten. 

1 hour ago, Highlander said:

But... up until January this year, I led a charity in Scotland and we were opening a project in Shetland. The lady running the project invited I and my colleague over for dinner.

She did not know I was vegan and served up a roast chicken. Rather than saying anything, I ate the whole thing and it was only after we left her home that my colleague recalled I was vegan.

In that instance, I was more willing to sacrifice my ethical position than make her feel like crap. To this day, I have never told her about that. And, before anyone asks, the roast chicken was rank rotten. 

So your a vegan unless someone else cooks ?

Konrad von Carstein

Over the last 2-3 months I've cut out meat from my diet almost completely, along with dairy & eggs - if I'm having meat, normally chicken, it will be organic, eggs are a once a week treat...

This change is not for any altruistic reason it's just something I've been thinking about and a half arsed attempt at improving my health.

A plus to this is that now that I'm thinking about what I'm going to cook as it's not as easy when you've removed  steak,lamb, pork etc to base your meal on...

Tofu FTW...

BTW: posted when not entirely sober, so please excuse spelling and not making sense..

Edited by Konrad von Carstein

11 hours ago, dalkeithjambo said:

I'm curious. If were not supposed to eat animals, why do they taste like food?.

I don't know what kind of point you are trying to make but its not relevant to what is being discussed in this thread.

In my experience the meat eaters are the ones that get all offended and argumentative when someone exercises their free will to choose not to eat meat.

4 hours ago, frankblack said:

I don't know what kind of point you are trying to make but its not relevant to what is being discussed in this thread.

In my experience the meat eaters are the ones that get all offended and argumentative when someone exercises their free will to choose not to eat meat.

Cooked meat and evolution. 

Managed to stick to a strict vegetarian diet for 3 months then got sick of it. I felt no difference health wise and decided that it wouldn't be forever.

Decided after 3 months of being vegetarian, instead of going on a meat rampage, I'd try full vegan and see how long i could stick it out for.

I managed 2 weeks and found it incredibly difficult. I must admit that it felt completely different from being vegetarian.

I don't think I've ever slept so well, had so much energy or just felt as good in my bones and joints. It was horrible and a massive pain in the arse sticking to it but I can 100% understand why people get into it and stick to it. It felt genuinely great but ultimately i could never stick it out.

Fair enough if you can stick to it because i certainly couldn't. I wish i felt that good all the time. Vegetarianism felt like a complete waste of time in comparison.

I had a bit of a falling out with someone I know recently, as him and his girlfriend became vegan about 6 moths ago and sadly are the types that think it's the greatest thing ever and love telling the world about it, which has now branched out into telling people that they are bad if they eat meat. I hasten to add this isn't the norm among vegan people I know. 

All I did was point out to him that they weren't actually vegans.

They are people with a vegan diet. 

Quiet difficult to claim you're a vegan when you're standing arguing the point wearing a pair of ****ing leather shoes.

14 hours ago, cosanostra said:

Managed to stick to a strict vegetarian diet for 3 months then got sick of it. I felt no difference health wise and decided that it wouldn't be forever.

Decided after 3 months of being vegetarian, instead of going on a meat rampage, I'd try full vegan and see how long i could stick it out for.

I managed 2 weeks and found it incredibly difficult. I must admit that it felt completely different from being vegetarian.

I don't think I've ever slept so well, had so much energy or just felt as good in my bones and joints. It was horrible and a massive pain in the arse sticking to it but I can 100% understand why people get into it and stick to it. It felt genuinely great but ultimately i could never stick it out.

Fair enough if you can stick to it because i certainly couldn't. I wish i felt that good all the time. Vegetarianism felt like a complete waste of time in comparison.

It depends what you are looking to get out of it, but vegetarians like me just want to eat a meat free diet, and eating vegan food is compatible with that goal.

12 minutes ago, frankblack said:

It depends what you are looking to get out of it, but vegetarians like me just want to eat a meat free diet, and eating vegan food is compatible with that goal.

Why the meat free diet, is it for health reasons or animal/environmental welfare reasons? 

4 hours ago, frankblack said:

Completely understand.

Have you tried going vegan? Take two weeks out of your life and try it. Nothing really to lose but it's defo worth trying.

Governor Tarkin
On 30/11/2018 at 00:40, lauriesrank said:

I think it does. :)

On 01/12/2018 at 10:09, Highlander said:

You didn't think to tell her you were vegan when she invited you?

16 hours ago, Tazio said:

I had a bit of a falling out with someone I know recently, as him and his girlfriend became vegan about 6 moths ago and sadly are the types that think it's the greatest thing ever and love telling the world about it, which has now branched out into telling people that they are bad if they eat meat. I hasten to add this isn't the norm among vegan people I know. 

All I did was point out to him that they weren't actually vegans.

They are people with a vegan diet. 

Quiet difficult to claim you're a vegan when you're standing arguing the point wearing a pair of ****ing leather shoes.

That's correct.  Vegans don't wear leather, wool, silk, or animal fur.

2 hours ago, ArcticJambo said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned afore but it certainly has the potential to have far-reaching consequences beyond this belief.

https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/vegan-sues-former-employer-discrimination-is-veganism-a-philosophical-belief/

Some of the vegans I know are vegans for health reasons.  But most are what are described in that article as 'ethical vegans'.  They believe that animals' lives are important, and that to mistreat or kill animals is wrong.

I understand that you have spent considerable time among the Inuit, which raises an interesting question ... how does one follow a plant diet when there are no plants available?  I suspect that my vegans would reply that it's OK to kill an animal in order to survive, as long as it's killed humanely.

7 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Some of the vegans I know are vegans for health reasons.  But most are what are described in that article as 'ethical vegans'.  They believe that animals' lives are important, and that to mistreat or kill animals is wrong.

I understand that you have spent considerable time among the Inuit, which raises an interesting question ... how does one follow a plant diet when there are no plants available?  I suspect that my vegans would reply that it's OK to kill an animal in order to survive, as long as it's killed humanely.

Berries, roots, certain leaves and seaweed are all examples of non-animal based food that are still gathered today, obviously not as staples but supplements to your typical western diet.

No doubt the vast majority of hunters want as quick and painless a kill as possible, and for the most part most of the kills I've seen up north are relatively quick and humane.  I suspect however, that for the majority of vegans, wouldn't necessarily agree with my description of what constitutes humane.

For me, I just love milk too much.  If it contained alcohol I'd be dead! :D

20 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

Why the meat free diet, is it for health reasons or animal/environmental welfare reasons? 

Going vegetarian wasn't an idealistic thing for me.

When I was growing up I found I just didn't like meat and fish and was regularly throwing it up.  It became easier just to go vegetarian.  Been veggie for 35 years and not missed meat.

16 hours ago, cosanostra said:

Completely understand.

Have you tried going vegan? Take two weeks out of your life and try it. Nothing really to lose but it's defo worth trying.

I haven't tried going vegan.  I can eat vegan food but a lot is too dry for my tastes and I guess adding a milk based sauce is cheating.

I do want to start introducing more healty food to alternate my diet like salads a couple of days a week.

Her big brother is a vegan and an "extremist" one so I really can't be bothered arguing with anyone so please don't think i want one because i'm tired of even hearing the word vegan but can someone please enlighten me on the health benefits of eating purely processed foods, over say my 'diet' which during the week is usually 

Salmon/tuna steaks with some rice.

Beef and prawn stir fry (rice noodles and veg)

Turkey steaks with rice

Mince 

I am not trying to argue or debate, i just want to know why substituting that with "fake" meat would have any health benefit?

On 29/11/2018 at 12:37, i8hibsh said:

Anyone that classes themsleves as a "people person" is a bullshitter imo.

I totally get that, i8.

1 hour ago, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

Her big brother is a vegan and an "extremist" one so I really can't be bothered arguing with anyone so please don't think i want one because i'm tired of even hearing the word vegan but can someone please enlighten me on the health benefits of eating purely processed foods, over say my 'diet' which during the week is usually 

Salmon/tuna steaks with some rice.

Beef and prawn stir fry (rice noodles and veg)

Turkey steaks with rice

Mince 

I am not trying to argue or debate, i just want to know why substituting that with "fake" meat would have any health benefit?

I can't think of any health benefits to eating purely processed foods.  They're usually loaded with fat, sugar, and preservatives.

Your diet looks quite good, but I suggest that you add green leafy vegetables like cabbage, kale, Brussel sprouts, or spinach.

The fake meat your refer to could be used as a substitute for the mince.  Prepare it the same way as you would mince. Depending on your butcher, ground mince is often not high quality meat, and can even be ground up dairy cows that can no longer produce adequate quantities of milk.

27 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

I can't think of any health benefits to eating purely processed foods.  They're usually loaded with fat, sugar, and preservatives.

Your diet looks quite good, but I suggest that you add green leafy vegetables like cabbage, kale, Brussel sprouts, or spinach.

The fake meat your refer to could be used as a substitute for the mince.  Prepare it the same way as you would mince. Depending on your butcher, ground mince is often not high quality meat, and can even be ground up dairy cows that can no longer produce adequate quantities of milk.

Maybe you can answer this. I've wondered what the problem actually is with processed foods - is it more about what's generally added to then rather than the fact they've gone through processes that's the problem?

I mean, take burgers. If I go to a posh burger place, they take mince and squeeze it in a mould. So that's basically meat that's been minced and shaped then cooked- is that not just the same as having some nice mince or even some unminced beef?

Edited by Smithee

5 hours ago, frankblack said:

Going vegetarian wasn't an idealistic thing for me.

When I was growing up I found I just didn't like meat and fish and was regularly throwing it up.  It became easier just to go vegetarian.  Been veggie for 35 years and not missed meat.

?

9 hours ago, Smithee said:

Maybe you can answer this. I've wondered what the problem actually is with processed foods - is it more about what's generally added to then rather than the fact they've gone through processes that's the problem?

I mean, take burgers. If I go to a posh burger place, they take mince and squeeze it in a mould. So that's basically meat that's been minced and shaped then cooked- is that not just the same as having some nice mince or even some unminced beef?

Pretty much. There isn't anything inherently wrong with a burger. If you get a nice cut of meat, mince it up and cook it yourself it's a reasonable meal.

Cheap burgers are made by gluing the crap that can't be sold as a decent cut of meat together then shoving a load of preservatives in.

10 hours ago, Smithee said:

Yes, definitely the issue is the additives/process itself rather than the whole concept of processing being bad. Humans have been processing food for thousands of years. It's just that for "organic" scam artist types, "processed food" is an easy bugbear to rail against for marketing purposes.

10 hours ago, Smithee said:

Strangely a couple of days ago I watched a program which takes a little about "processed" foods and cancer. In packet ham one of the preservatives has links to cancer but to increase your chances of getting cancer you would need to eat 2 slices a day, everyday. Also in the smoke when smoking food there is some of the carcinogenic chemicals that area in cigarettes