***Tour de France***

Currahee!

Naecups1902

Just completed 6 hours 5 mins on record so just saw,another fantastic performance by tommy voeckler, a great try by by Sorensen.

Nibali tried but couldn't break wiggo or Froome and its getting closer to a Great Britain victory.

Looking good, tomorrow should be another great day.

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Naecups1902

I know it's hard to give any cyclist the benefit of the doubt when it comes to a positive test, especially given the whiff around Radioshack, but what Schleck's been caught using doesn't look like a major performance enhancer.

The question is, is it used as a masking agent?

Plenty chat about it, it can be used for medical reasons but it can also be used as a masking agent, if its not for medical then why is it there, raises suspicions but it might be the old "it wisnae me that put it thair, mystic been somebody else"

Naecups1902

should be another cracker today, will have to watch from record again as I won't be home until 1:30

full days tomorrow, saturday and then into Paris

Naecups1902

Well done to the gurner Voekler today. :thumbsup:

what a guy he is, if he can keep the jersey today it will be an amazing achievement

I P Knightley

What's the press coverage of it been like back home?

Mainstream? Very similar to the press coverage of Andy Murray or Tim Henman doing well at Wimbledon in that there's a lot of hype about a potential British champion in a major international sporting event but, because it's not football, they don't really understand the whole thing so, instead of giving the masses an education (one which I'd appreciate), you can get cut out sideys in honour of Wiggins.

That said, I can't claim to understand the machinations of the TdF; follow no cycling at all and am put off by the whiff of drug-cheating but the top billing of Wiggins's charge to the maillot jaune (see, I'm paying attention) has had me tuning in over the last couple of days.

Stage 17 mountain topish finish, please please please can we have some excitement, somebody needs to grow a pair or maybe another leg to pedal faster, a quote from yesterdays online commentary, "The col du tourmalet the pinnacle of the mountains was turned into a mere procession as sky led the way"

Im still of the opinion that wiggins has hid behind froome for the tour, ive not seen him have a go on the uphill, at least when lance and others were racing they themselves turned the screw on their competitors and showed them how it should be done.

Wiggins has done incredibly well but it is another year where being a strong time trailer who can maintain good pace in a good team structure wins. Wiggins hasn't destroyed his rivals on the normal stages like people used to do.

Naecups1902

I'd love to see him go on a "tommy",but that ain't going to happen.

However, sky are doing exactly as they need to, surely its up to other teams to come up with tactic to beat them.

To be fair to Wiggins, nobody has put him under any kind of pressure so he hasn't needed to attack. All he has had to do is stay just ahead of the peleoton and maintain a steady pace, which other than a single stage he has done rather easily.

Why take the risk to win stages when your rivals won't take a risk and attack you?

Naecups1902

Why take the risk to win stages when your rivals won't take a risk and attack you?

Exactly, as I said, was up to the other teams to try and attack, they have failed to come up with anything.

Wiggo will pish the time trial (again) and sky will then deliver Cav to the line in Paris.

Naecups1902

Congratulations Bradley Wiggins

Congratulations Christopher Froome

Congratulations Team SKY

What an achievement for Great Britain

John McClure

Froome should have went for that at the end there!! Pretty boring stuff, but as has been said, Wiggins and Sky have done whats needed, nobody has the ability or tactics to trouble them

Well done, a great achievment :thumbsup:

Naecups1902

I wouldn't go congratulating Wiggins yet, just ask Sammy Sanchez for example.

Every confidence the team will deliver him safely

I'd have liked to see Froome attack at the end.

I know he has to back Wiggins but it wouldn't have made any difference.

Who'll win tomorrow? Good stage for the sprinters if it all stays together. :thumbsup:

Naecups1902

C.A.V.E.N.D.I.S.H

Hopefully, he will be saving the legs for Sunday

I'll go for Matt Goss

Boy emailing the live text on BBC just got ripped by Chris Bevan!

Paul Pharoah "All this talk of a knighthood a bit ott. A key requirement for such an award is sustained achievement."

CHris Bevan: Er, Paul, did you know that - as well as being on the cusp of being the first Briton to win the toughest bike road race in the world in its 109-year history, Wiggo is a triple Olympic track gold medalist, who has six medals (three gold, one silver and two bronze) in all from three Games in 2000, 2004 and 2008? Oh, and he has won six World track titles too, dating back to his first in 2003.

How about that for sustained achievement?

I just can't get my head round where Cavendish can produce so much speed from. That finish was ridiculous, everyone flat out and he just seemed to conjure up another 10kph or so. Frightening. Like doing a 10 second 100m at the end of a marathon.

Naecups1902

Boy emailing the live text on BBC just got ripped by Chris Bevan!

Paul Pharoah "All this talk of a knighthood a bit ott. A key requirement for such an award is sustained achievement."

CHris Bevan: Er, Paul, did you know that - as well as being on the cusp of being the first Briton to win the toughest bike road race in the world in its 109-year history, Wiggo is a triple Olympic track gold medalist, who has six medals (three gold, one silver and two bronze) in all from three Games in 2000, 2004 and 2008? Oh, and he has won six World track titles too, dating back to his first in 2003.

How about that for sustained achievement?

I hope it finished off with a "stick that in your pipe and smoke it"

Naecups1902

Can't believed this sneaked onto page 2, we are about to witness history

I'll go for wiggo to tie it up

Ps - the rest of my tips have been tom kite so I hope this doesn't jinx him

How good was Cav's sprint today?

He came from MILES back and as soon as he passed people they just sat up and let him go.

Fecking awesome. The due has had a very tough tour. On the floor at least twice, suffered like feck in the mountains, nowhere near the green jersey but still able to pull something like that out of the bag.

Naecups1902

Away to my bed, up at 8 for a 10 mile cycle for the rolls, virgin coming as problem with hd channels, get that fixed in time for watching the time trial, few holes at the golf after that, wee Chinese and a few beers ready for Sunday

Just watched yesterdays stage as I had to go to the pub last night. :lol:

Unbelievable from Cavendish. That sprint just showed the rest that he's still the man.

Sunday should be a formality. :thumbsup:

Naecups1902

Just watched yesterdays stage as I had to go to the pub last night. :lol:

Unbelievable from Cavendish. That sprint just showed the rest that he's still the man.

Sunday should be a formality. :thumbsup:

Fingers crossed, was it last year or one before when they were focussing on pettachi (I think) and you just see Cav gliding past them!!

Fingers crossed, was it last year or one before when they were focussing on pettachi (I think) and you just see Cav gliding past them!!

Was that the one where Renshaw came 2nd because they were so fast and so far ahead? :lol:

Mental speed. :thumbsup:

I don't think Wiggins and Froome will be as close today. A much flatter time trial which suits Wiggins more.

Wiggins 12 seconds ahead of Froome at the split. He's absolutely flying.

Awesome run from Chris Froome. Just Wiggins to bring the maillot jaune home now. Go Bradley! :thumbsup:

Archived