The Rangers soap opera goes on and on.

Sergio Garcia

I've decided I'm so out of control that there's little point in wearing any. I've just put down a ground-sheet!

Haha! Post of the thread!

Arguments on each side will start when case resumes at 1.30pm

Roddy Dunlop, #Rangers lawyer, say they can appoint administrators because floating charge holder has approved it.

(Dont know what this means)

Edited by ritchies75

I've decided I'm so out of control that there's little point in wearing any. I've just put down a ground-sheet!

I would but my boss would frown on it. He's already lookig pissed off I've downed tools :lol:

Lawyer for #Rangers told court paperwork on its way to appoint administrators. HMRC questioned the validity of this move.

Trying to sneak through/force through a Pre-Pack...? :unsure:

Tax expert bloke on SSN just said that by using the EBT's a player would only pay 5% tax instead of the 40/50% if they were paid as normal wages - ooft

I'm sure Gazza, Laudrup, Albertz etc will be sending over a bankers draft ASAP to help out the greatest team they have ever played for!!

Dean Winchester

Trying to sneak through/force through a Pre-Pack...? :unsure:

Definitely what it looks like they where trying to do. :down:

Think most people knew that was what their plan would be by trying to go into administration on their own terms.

Even if it is not a breach as described in your quote ... surely it breaches the SPL good faith 'rules'?

Should not be too hard to prove.

Whyte has been controlling as much as possible so likely he personally did the Cousin deal.

I was reliably told that Sandy Jardine was specifically instructed not to contact Dundee United during the Goodwillie transfer as Whyte would deal with it himself. 2 days later you had Steven Thompson squeeling that Rangers had made zero contact. Whyte has controlled almost every element of the Ibrox financials since he took over.

Hagar the Horrible

It now looks like the HMRC have called CW's bluff and have now asked the courts themselves to place Rangers into Administration, A move which could make them the prefered creditor, luvely Jubely

We dont have to wait 9 more days :thumbsup:

I would but my boss would frown on it. He's already lookig pissed off I've downed tools :lol:

Stick with your Calvins Tom. The big drawback to my strategy is that you've gotta watch you don't touch anything electrical :woot:

Hagar the Horrible

Its gets better CW is njow trying to beat HMRC in getting Administrators appointed today!

Even better than that I have been told that Strathclyde Police may call off this weekends game unless they get paid up front.

Dean Winchester

What we've got here is a Mexican Standoff. I know who my money is on :jjyay:

Exactly. I'm convinced Whyte thought he was being smart and it's backfired magnificently assuming HMRC's administrator takes control.

Definitely what it looks like they where trying to do. :down:

Think most people knew that was what their plan would be by trying to go into administration on their own terms.

As we discussed on another thread, I think Whyte may have missed the boat with this.... :unsure:

Hopefully...! :D

Rangers will be in admin today, they want it but with thier own admin guy, but HMRC want to appoint a guy, happy days :)

McCoist pictured leaving Murray Park (Sky Sports News), driving his car with one hand, a coffee cup in the other hand.

Another 3 points on his licence would be nice :D

Tax expert bloke on SSN just said that by using the EBT's a player would only pay 5% tax instead of the 40/50% if they were paid as normal wages - ooft

I'm sure Gazza, Laudrup, Albertz etc will be sending over a bankers draft ASAP to help out the greatest team they have ever played for!!

Depends on the official HMRC rate of interest at any given time, but I can't see that it would be anything like 5%. Essentially what happens is that instead of being paid say ?100,000, the EBT lends the player ?100,000 as an interest-free loan. The tax payable on that loan is calculated by reference to interest that would otherwise be payable if the ?100,000 was on deposit. HMRC publish the rate which is currently 4% (and has been since April 2010). Tax is then paid on that amount. In other words, a 50% taxpayer would pay 2% at the moment.

The problem with the EBT is that the loan has to be repayable and is normally repayable on demand. Now if you had your own business and set up an EBT as a way of getting money out without paying too much tax, you would probably be quite relaxed about this arrangement, and confident that the Trustees would never demand repayment. If you are a footballer with no real connection to the club, you would probably want some comfort that no demand would be made for the loan to be repaid.

My suspicion is that HMRC have some sort of evidence that the players were given some sort of guarantee and that is what would make the whole arrangement a sham.

Its gets better CW is njow trying to beat HMRC in getting Administrators appointed today!

Rangers can't appoint their own administrator today as they must give 5 days notice.

Auldreekie1874

McCoist pictured leaving Murray Park (Sky Sports News), driving his car with one hand, a coffee cup in the other hand.

Another 3 points on his licence would be nice :D

Could be the last 3 points that he picks up as Rangers manager. :lol:

Rangers can't appoint their own administrator today as they must give 5 days notice.

The Court can appoint one today though

Depends on the official HMRC rate of interest at any given time, but I can't see that it would be anything like 5%. Essentially what happens is that instead of being paid say ?100,000, the EBT lends the player ?100,000 as an interest-free loan. The tax payable on that loan is calculated by reference to interest that would otherwise be payable if the ?100,000 was on deposit. HMRC publish the rate which is currently 4% (and has been since April 2010). Tax is then paid on that amount. In other words, a 50% taxpayer would pay 2% at the moment.

The problem with the EBT is that the loan has to be repayable and is normally repayable on demand. Now if you had your own business and set up an EBT as a way of getting money out without paying too much tax, you would probably be quite relaxed about this arrangement, and confident that the Trustees would never demand repayment. If you are a footballer with no real connection to the club, you would probably want some comfort that no demand would be made for the loan to be repaid.

My suspicion is that HMRC have some sort of evidence that the players were given some sort of guarantee and that is what would make the whole arrangement a sham.

Just got a lovely mental image of the HMRC administrator demanding the Advocaat players turn up at Ibrox with the EBT loan money in large suitcases!! Would be lovely seeing Gazza greeting again :-)

Hagar the Horrible

They have called a break now

But Rangers legal team have stated that they will have the paper work sendt over to appoint Administrators Today

HMRC have asked the courts not to appoint this yet as they question the validity of this move.

HMRC want assurances they appoint an Administrator before end of the hearing.

Exactly. I'm convinced Whyte thought he was being smart and it's backfired magnificently assuming HMRC's administrator takes control.

My thoughts exactly!

Chaka Demus & pliers

Yeah. What the guy actually said was that tax would only be payable on 5% so ?5000 of ?100k. 40% tax on ?5k would have meant they only paid ?2k instead of ?40k!

Dean Winchester

RFC to appoint administrators by 3.30 pm today or HMRC case to appoint administrators stands.

Balls :down:

Roll on 3:30pm.

#Rangers given until 3.30pm to appoint administrators. If they do HMRC's application will no longer stand.

So to clarify Rangers will be in administration today

Rangers have been given until 3.30pm to appoint their own administrator or court will make appointment

Hope they don't manage it in time :jjyay:

They'll manage it, desperate times call for desperate measures and the Whyte knight has too much to lose if they dont.

So to clarify Rangers will be in administration today

Rangers have been given until 3.30pm to appoint their own administrator or court will make appointment

And is there anything that might stand in the way of them (rfc) managing to appoint their own by 3.30?! I'm guessing not...

Guys & Girls!

It's not all that bad if they have time to get there own administrator in!

Reason for this being is -10 points

transfer embargo

sell some of the players?

end up a wee shite team instead of a big shite team?

haha cheer up folks!!

The administrators will be Duff & Phelps. #Rangers

HMRC will only accept the appointment of administrators if it's done by 3.30pm. #Rangers

• Maple Leaf locked this topic