The Rangers soap opera goes on and on.

Sergio Garcia

AllyjamboDerbyshire

Only becomes a problem if both are competing in the same tournament

No, it only becomes a problem (for TRFC) if this time round the SFA stick to their own rules. RFC got off incredibly lightly over their use of EBTs and deliberate mis-registration, mainly on the spurious grounds they gained 'no unfair sporting advantage' from it. So gaining an unfair sporting advantage is considered wrong and unacceptable. Don't you think TRFC would gain an 'unfair sporting advantage' over the other clubs in Scotland if they were able to tap-into players from the EPL at a lower cost than all the others can? Do you believe that Mike Ashley wouldn't transfer players between the two clubs to create an advantage for one, or both, of them? If MA is intending to finance TRFC all the way to the Champions League, don't you think he might find it in his own interest to use Newcastle United's money rather than his own, by, say, selling players to NU at inflated prices - not available to every other club? Wasn't that method used when Souness was NU manager, with the sale of Boumsong (pre MA days, admittedly)? Didn't Souness get an EBT some time after that?

Just imagine if McLeod goes to Newcastle, how would a fee of ?1m (or more) appear for a young player from the lower reaches of Scottish football who hasn't exactly shown any improvement over the past year, don't you think that would be an indication that the Ashley connection is providing an unfair advantage?

Geoff Kilpatrick

No, it only becomes a problem (for TRFC) if this time round the SFA stick to their own rules. RFC got off incredibly lightly over their use of EBTs and deliberate mis-registration, mainly on the spurious grounds they gained 'no unfair sporting advantage' from it. So gaining an unfair sporting advantage is considered wrong and unacceptable. Don't you think TRFC would gain an 'unfair sporting advantage' over the other clubs in Scotland if they were able to tap-into players from the EPL at a lower cost than all the others can? Do you believe that Mike Ashley wouldn't transfer players between the two clubs to create an advantage for one, or both, of them? If MA is intending to finance TRFC all the way to the Champions League, don't you think he might find it in his own interest to use Newcastle United's money rather than his own, by, say, selling players to NU at inflated prices - not available to every other club? Wasn't that method used when Souness was NU manager, with the sale of Boumsong (pre MA days, admittedly)? Didn't Souness get an EBT some time after that?

Just imagine if McLeod goes to Newcastle, how would a fee of ?1m (or more) appear for a young player from the lower reaches of Scottish football who hasn't exactly shown any improvement over the past year, don't you think that would be an indication that the Ashley connection is providing an unfair advantage?

In what way?

A swap of a ?1m write-off for a player is buttons given the prices paid for English Premier League players.

In what way?

A swap of a ?1m write-off for a player is buttons given the prices paid for English Premier League players.

But in relation to a Scottish Championship player of his calibre it's way over the top.

Templeton to Bolton according to some so is this the start of moving players on to cut the wage bill ?

Shocked if that happens to be honest,he looks pathetic now

Lennon is a decent coach who will get something out of Templeton.

agree, Templeton has gone backwards due to the prehistoric tactics employed by Sally but he can't have lost all football ability

Maroonblood22

Templeton to Bolton according to some so is this the start of moving players on to cut the wage bill  ?

On loan though, that's the best part. They aren't getting any cash up front, simply fart in a hurricane off their wage bill!

I could actually see this happening, as other's have said Lennon is a good coach and he will know there is a player in Templeton somewhere. Might not happen but not out-with the realms of possibility.

It comes down to the same wuestion why is MA there ? If its purely asset stripping and securing the profitable parts then he doesnt need to buy shares, a few loans with security to property does that for him.

I still think this is by far the most likely scenario. :thumb:

Geoff Kilpatrick

But in relation to a Scottish Championship player of his calibre it's way over the top.

Given we got ?250K for Adam King I don't think we can complain too much.

My son's a Jambo

Great time for ashley to buy shares tbh..

19th December 2012:.......70p

19th December 2013:.......34p

17th December 2014:.......17p

The RIFC capitalisation today is ?14.67m. There are 81.48m shares in issue.  http://www.lse.co.uk/SharePrice.asp?shareprice=RFC

MASH already own (?) 9%, worth ?1.3m. (about 7.3m shares)

New shares are usually offered at a discount, but lets be kind and say that they price them at 18p. ?6m/?0.18 = 33.3m new shares to raise ?6m.

If MASH bought all the new shares (for example having underwritten them and no one else buying any), they would have 40.6m shares, which would be 35% of the shares then in issue. Once above 29.9%, they have to make an offer for the whole club.

So, in short, I think that the share price is so low that MASH can't invest ?6m wihout taking their holding above 29.9%, something I don't think Ashley wants to do.

The RIFC capitalisation today is ?14.67m. There are 81.48m shares in issue.  http://www.lse.co.uk/SharePrice.asp?shareprice=RFC

New shares are usually offered at a discount, but lets be kind and say that they price them at 18p. ?6m/?0.18 = 33.3m new shares to raise ?6m.

If MASH bought all the new shares (for example having underwritten them and no one else buying any), they would have 40.6m shares, which would be 35% of the shares then in issue. Once above 29.9%, they have to make an offer for the whole club.

So, in short, I think that the share price is so low that MASH can't invest ?6m wihout taking their holding above 29.9%, something I don't think Ashley wants to do.

This is a very good point. Which is why I think Ashley must have sounded out some of the other institutional investors (even if it's the Driscolls to a small degree) to ensure he's not underwriting the whole lot, simply buying the surplus to keep him under 29.9%.

Hagar the Horrible

Post admin you can own the whole shooting match for about ?4m

Mike Ashley is a smart guy, he doesn't want to increse his shareholding in a failing business he wants the profitable assets.

Post admin you can own the whole shooting match for about ?4m

I doubt it will go as cheap as last time, if indeed there is much left.

AllyjamboDerbyshire

In what way?

Absolutely not the point. McLeod is just an example. Think Boumsong and the advantage getting inflated prices would give TRFC. As it stands, there is nothing to stop Newcastle from buying up half a dozen TRFC players that'll never get near their first team squad, for, say, a total of ?3m. Do Hearts have a connection with any other club to hoover up their unwanted players for even a fraction of that amount? If Ashley gets the go ahead there will be nothing to prevent him using Newcastle's money to fund TRFC's assault on Scottish football.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Absolutely not the point. McLeod is just an example. Think Boumsong and the advantage getting inflated prices would give TRFC. As it stands, there is nothing to stop Newcastle from buying up half a dozen TRFC players that'll never get near their first team squad, for, say, a total of ?3m. Do Hearts have a connection with any other club to hoover up their unwanted players for even a fraction of that amount? If Ashley gets the go ahead there will be nothing to prevent him using Newcastle's money to fund TRFC's assault on Scottish football.

How much did Kaunas pay for us to get all their loans? That broke no rules either.

I don't know why are you are concerned about it. Mike Ashley's only motivation in life is to make money for Sports Direct.

My son's a Jambo

Although NUFC have a big turnover, football being a crazy business, their profits are relatively marginal at ?10m or less. Doing lots of loss making deals with anyone would quickly eat into this profitability. Moreover, they can only spend so much on players before falling foul of FFP rules, and they won't want to waste that on buying duds from Sevco.

A more likely way that NUFC could benefit Sevco (if that is what MA wants to do at all) is to look favourably on loaning developing players.

I'm guessing Mike ashley wouldn't pay ?1m for McLeod to go to Newcastle.

Why would he when he could probs force through a deal for half the price?

Prince Buaben

Although NUFC have a big turnover, football being a crazy business, their profits are relatively marginal at ?10m or less. Doing lots of loss making deals with anyone would quickly eat into this profitability. Moreover, they can only spend so much on players before falling foul of FFP rules, and they won't want to waste that on buying duds from Sevco.

A more likely way that NUFC could benefit Sevco (if that is what MA wants to do at all) is to look favourably on loaning developing players.

Goes for a nominal fee to newcastle and Ashley wipes off some of the money he is due.

Yup dual ownership distorts the market and like big companies a profit making club can support a lose making one. Totally ruining the sporting ethos... of best team wins. Now two teams combined are competing individual teams.

Not a major problem but what if he buys another club? Hell 6 million could buy about 80% of all teams in Scotland. Then it just gets silly if conceivably one man could own ever team in the country. Because the whole idea is fair competition and like FFP owning two clubs would give you an advantage.

So dual-ownership should be strictly controlled by the authorities. Think we all hold out no hope of the SFA to do anything of substance. So now two teams with a favourable FA would be in cahoots. They should treat it as seriously as possible ie: MA sells up one of the clubs and has no involvement or your license is suspended. Plenty other clubs that can play by the rules.

That's what would happen regardless on consequence in a league with any integrity.

:laugh:

And for those who don't like to click links, the headline is "McCoist doomed to be Rangers manager for all eternity"

Particularly those that don't like to click links to the Daily Mail!

I usually right click on the link to be able to read the whole headline / URL.

Of course, there's nothing stopping someone cutting and pasting articles, as long as they reference the source.  Cuts down on all the click-throughs to horrible newspapers like the Express, Mail, Record, Sun, Star.

Hagar the Horrible

McCoist will go down in history as the first ever Manager to be in charge of 2 clubs who went into admin and also perversely depending on your point of view the first manager to be in charge of the same club that has gone into admin twice and regardless of your point of view he could be the only manager to be in charge of a club that has been liquidated twice,  I am beginning to think he is a Jinx

Imo Ashley will underwrite the new rights issue & take his shareholding to under the 29.9% threshold. He'll buy the required shares to do this & no more I'd say.

The Sfa will pay lip service but in reality it's ashley or bust & they know it. He'll prob lay that out to them & they'll capitulate & agree.

But why?  Why not just loans against assets?

Of course, there's nothing stopping someone cutting and pasting articles, as long as they reference the source.  Cuts down on all the click-throughs to horrible newspapers like the Express, Mail, Record, Sun, Star.

I fully share your feelings on the Mail, but this link's from the Daily Mash!

Prob came from here.

2d75b255f866831b939c8f22b5c13a85.jpg

Imo Ashley will underwrite the new rights issue & take his shareholding to under the 29.9% threshold. He'll buy the required shares to do this & no more I'd say.

The Sfa will pay lip service but in reality it's ashley or bust & they know it. He'll prob lay that out to them & they'll capitulate & agree.

They'll give him 18 months (per his plan) to sell his stake in NUFC.

And if NUFC qualify for Europe next season, that still gives them a year.

Edit - If Rangers win the cup this year, are they allowed to play in Europe season?

Go on NUFC and Rangers!!!!!!

Edited by DETTY29

It's not the Mail though, it's the Daily Mash, a satirical publication in the vein of Viz or Private Eye (mind you the Mail prints much the same sort of nonsense)

McCoist doomed to be Rangers manager for all eternity
18-12-14

ally425.jpg

AFTER unsuccessfully resigning, Ally McCoist has admitted that he has no idea how he can stop being Rangers manager.

An emotional McCoist handed in his notice only to be informed by grinning colleagues that he?d received a pay rise and a better parking space.

He said: ?It was always going to be a very tough decision to quit the club I love, but I presumed it would be tough emotionally not logistically.

?I?ve tried being Rangers manager and I?ve tried not being Rangers manager and the two things are essentially the same.

?Even death will be no escape, they will find a way to trap my spirit in a jar.?

Its the Dailymash not the Daily Mail and its a piss take. Article is as follows...

AFTER unsuccessfully resigning, Ally McCoist has admitted that he has no idea how he can stop being Rangers manager.

An emotional McCoist handed in his notice only to be informed by grinning colleagues that he?d received a pay rise and a better parking space.

He said: ?It was always going to be a very tough decision to quit the club I love, but I presumed it would be tough emotionally not logistically.

?I?ve tried being Rangers manager and I?ve tried not being Rangers manager and the two things are essentially the same.

?Even death will be no escape, they will find a way to trap my spirit in a jar.?

The Future's Maroon

On this occasion its not The Daily Mail, its something called The Daily Mash (never heard of it), I looked at the main home page to see what it was about and the main story is titled "For future reference, I like sexy vampire movies, says Kim Jong Un"???????

Back tot he Swally link, and the article from that link is....

Now I see it's not the Daily Mail, I'm happy to click through, heh heh.

Thanks to all for pointing this out.

Won't be the last time I make a fool of myself today, probably.

I hope people are not missing the point here even if Ashley does break the rules of dual ownership and ups his stake to 29% there is still going to be huge cuts at ibrox.

This during a time of challenging us for a league title can only be bad for them and good for us.

I for one dont wont care if they are liquadated etc as long as they are in a mess at the moment and we can take full advantage.

My son's a Jambo

They'll give him 18 months (per his plan) to sell his stake in NUFC.

And if NUFC qualify for Europe next season, that still gives them a year.

Edit - If Rangers win the cup this year, are they allowed to play in Europe season?

Go on NUFC and Rangers!!!!!!

Why would anyone want to sell a financially strong club like NUFC, playing in one of the world's biggest leagues, which gets mega tv revenues, in order to buy Sevco?

Makes no sense.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/mike-ashley-flying-visit-newcastle-8299986

Mike Ashley in flying visit to Newcastle United's training ground

Mike Ashley meets Alan Pardew and Newcastle United players ahead of big clash with Tottenham
Mike-Ashley.jpg
Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley (right) talks to managing director Lee Charnley at the Hawthorns

Mike Ashley spent time at Newcastle United?s Benton base this week ahead of the Magpies? League Cup clash with Tottenham Hotspur.

The Chronicle understands it was a routine visit to meet Alan Pardew and his players

Ashley?s appearance at Benton is not an everyday occurrence but while Pardew faced questions about his owner?s links with Glasgow Rangers, his visit to the club?s training ground was evidence that the Buckinghamshire tycoon remains committed to the cause at Newcastle.

It is believed that United are also perplexed at constant talk over Ashley selling Newcastle.

Ashley told the world earlier this year that the club was not for sale. The owner has attended the majority of matches this season and been under the spotlight on several occasions when Alan Pardew?s future was in question.

When Pardew was asked about Rangers, he said simply: ?I know nothing about it.?

A statement earlier this year read: ?The truth is Mike Ashley remains committed to Newcastle United.

?For the avoidance of doubt, this means that for the remainder of this season and AT LEAST until the end of next season, Mike Ashley will not, under any circumstances, sell Newcastle United at any price.

?The club cannot be stronger in stating its position on this matter.?

With a bumper TV deal in the offing in the coming seasons in the Premier League and United in sound financial health it is difficult to see Ashley selling up any time soon.

Moreover, NUFC owes Ashley ?129m. Someone with very deep pockets would be needed to take over from him.

Why would anyone want to sell a financially strong club like NUFC, playing in one of the world's biggest leagues, which gets mega tv revenues, in order to buy Sevco?

Makes no sense.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/mike-ashley-flying-visit-newcastle-8299986

Mike Ashley in flying visit to Newcastle United's training ground

Mike Ashley meets Alan Pardew and Newcastle United players ahead of big clash with Tottenham

Mike-Ashley.jpg
Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley (right) talks to managing director Lee Charnley at the Hawthorns

Mike Ashley spent time at Newcastle United?s Benton base this week ahead of the Magpies? League Cup clash with Tottenham Hotspur.

The Chronicle understands it was a routine visit to meet Alan Pardew and his players

Ashley?s appearance at Benton is not an everyday occurrence but while Pardew faced questions about his owner?s links with Glasgow Rangers, his visit to the club?s training ground was evidence that the Buckinghamshire tycoon remains committed to the cause at Newcastle.

It is believed that United are also perplexed at constant talk over Ashley selling Newcastle.

Ashley told the world earlier this year that the club was not for sale. The owner has attended the majority of matches this season and been under the spotlight on several occasions when Alan Pardew?s future was in question.

When Pardew was asked about Rangers, he said simply: ?I know nothing about it.?

A statement earlier this year read: ?The truth is Mike Ashley remains committed to Newcastle United.

?For the avoidance of doubt, this means that for the remainder of this season and AT LEAST until the end of next season, Mike Ashley will not, under any circumstances, sell Newcastle United at any price.

?The club cannot be stronger in stating its position on this matter.?

With a bumper TV deal in the offing in the coming seasons in the Premier League and United in sound financial health it is difficult to see Ashley selling up any time soon.

Moreover, NUFC owes Ashley ?129m. Someone with very deep pockets would be needed to take over from him.

Wearing a poppy?  So, not a recent picture.  Presumably just a stock photo to accompany the story.

Interesting that everyone has assumed Ashley is likely to sell NUFC at the end of next season...but may not be so.

McCoist will go down in history as the first ever Manager to be in charge of 2 clubs who went into admin and also perversely depending on your point of view the first manager to be in charge of the same club that has gone into admin twice and regardless of your point of view he could be the only manager to be in charge of a club that has been liquidated twice,  I am beginning to think he is a Jinx

And both times he was largely responsible for both liquidations.

First by getting his team pumped out of Europe twice in a month starving them of much need European revenue and second by trousering eye watering amounts of wedge for being arguably the worst manager in Scotland.

Ally McCoist - the man who killed his club twice.

brunoatemyhamster

It doesn't make any sense. Why have a controlling interest in Rangers and put that all at risk ,when he could make just as much money sweating them for what he wants.

It make no sense that he would give them 8m to see them through , when he can give them it in dribs and drabs and maybe pick it up cheaper when they become desperate.

If he was serious about taking over The Rangers and building the brand, he would have just done it, Instead of alienating half his own support on top of the other half of glasgow.

The media are hoping he comes in to take control. He wont need to to get what he wants.

In other news, The Gasman still leads as Top Poster in this thread with 2203. Jambovambo has 1999 (party like it's.....) and farin is nearly at "Centenary Year" - he's on 1973. Geoff Kilpatrick has 1887. Fifteen more to go to the magic number, Geoff.

brunoatemyhamster

Not long until they sign Danny Ings now.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

They really should have a like button.

Billy Davis first signing.

In other news, The Gasman still leads as Top Poster in this thread with 2203. Jambovambo has 1999 (party like it's.....) and farin is nearly at "Centenary Year" - he's on 1973. Geoff Kilpatrick has 1887. Fifteen more to go to the magic number, Geoff.

1999 ? I'd better fix that - oh, I just did ...

Hagar the Horrible

Whats the top 10, the premiership, the elite, the nothing else going on

Yes, the break even to hold Ashley below 30% is to issue 24.5m new shares, which would give him 29.99% of the enlarged share capital. 

Assuming he pays 18p for them, this would lead to a cash injection before costs of ?4.4m. So, ?4m after costs probably.

Of course, if others also subscribe for additional new shares, then Ashley can buy even more and keep his holding below 30%, but as none of the others seem keen to put their hands in their pockets for some reason, then it's the Ashley-only-show-in-town. 

Stupid question, but what are these posts that are just a full stop all about? Seem to be everywhere!

I think it's to do with embedded things that you can't see with your browser / settings etc.  For instance, I see the post you quoted as a full stop - but on another PC, I would probably see a GIF (picture).

It doesn't make any sense. Why have a controlling interest in Rangers and put that all at risk ,when he could make just as much money sweating them for what he wants.

It make no sense that he would give them 8m to see them through , when he can give them it in dribs and drabs and maybe pick it up cheaper when they become desperate.

If he was serious about taking over The Rangers and building the brand, he would have just done it, Instead of alienating half his own support on top of the other half of glasgow.

The media are hoping he comes in to take control. He wont need to to get what he wants.

This is what gets me though, this should simply not be allowed and other clubs would get hammered for it. They cannot go on being funded by payday loans from MASH. The authorities should be demanding to see a proper business plan with fund and cuts where required.

Edited by Samster

Yes, the break even to hold Ashley below 30% is to issue 24.5m new shares, which would give him 29.99% of the enlarged share capital. 

Assuming he pays 18p for them, this would lead to a cash injection before costs of ?4.4m. So, ?4m after costs probably.

Of course, if others also subscribe for additional new shares, then Ashley can buy even more and keep his holding below 30%, but as none of the others seem keen to put their hands in their pockets for some reason, then it's the Ashley-only-show-in-town.

A pretty poor cash injection - they are owe him his three million back in March.

• Maple Leaf locked this topic