Steven Pressley

The Merse

Maybe not in technical ability but for how important he was to the club yes he was

He was vital to Hearts but he wasn't a good defender - he was very much in the Colin Hendry - smash anything that moves and go to ground whenever you could mould. He taught Robbie Neilson well - another committed yet technically inept defender of that era !

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was vital to Hearts but he wasn't a good defender - he was very much in the Colin Hendry - smash anything that moves and go to ground whenever you could mould. He taught Robbie Neilson well - another committed yet technically inept defender of that era !

If he was not a good defender how did he become a regular for Scotland?

I like Steven Pressley

I would take him as manager, but not right now.

If were going where i think we are headed, ie bottom six for afew years with major cutbacks in wages and alot of youngsters in the team with afew old heads, then id take him, with the current under 19s coach (murray his name?) as assistant.

But who knows what will happen.......

Because those defenders who had a inkling of quality had long since departed the international stage and Pressley was the best of a very mediocre bunch.

Because the Scottish defenders were gash - you said he was the best in Scotland not the best Scottish defender - entirely different.

Because the Scottish defenders were gash - you said he was the best in Scotland not the best Scottish defender - entirely different.

I do not agree with that.

Pressely was a very player who played at international level and won the Scottish cup and finished second in thd league.

Gary Caldwell is not a good defender and he has more caps than Phressley. It seems being huddy doesn't matter, they'll give anyone a game because Scotland lack decent defenders. Phressley was shite, thank God for Webster. Another huddy but not as bad.

I do not agree with that.

Pressely was a very player who played at international level and won the Scottish cup and finished second in thd league.

This guy did better.....

Gary-Caldwell-2.jpg

I'm sure you think he was the best defender in Scotland as well....

Gary Caldwell is not a good defender and he has more caps than Phressley. It seems being huddy doesn't matter, they'll give anyone a game because Scotland lack decent defenders. Phressley was shite, thank God for Webster. Another huddy but not as bad.

Too far.

I'd rather haven taken Joos Valgaeren, Johan Mjallby, Lorenzo Amoruso, Bobo Balde, Frank De Boer or Fernando Ricksen, who all played in Scotland during Snakelys 'Golden Years' at Hearts, before the chest thumper.

Pressley was sheight part.... :vrface: :keys: :illogical:

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Snakey was a horrendous footballer but he was a very clever defender.

He's also one of the biggest diving cheats I've ever had the misfortune to watch spoiling the beautiful game.

Ffs.

I now see why this forum gets such a bad name lol.

Apparantly pressley was shite lol

I get why people may say his technical ability wasn't the greatest but his over all impact for this clubwas phenomenal.vhe led from the back and showed Webster the ropes.

Funny how Webster seems to be accepted despite what he done was far worse....

Legend bashing.

Ffs.

I now see why this forum gets such a bad name lol.

Apparantly pressley was shite lol

I get why people may say his technical ability wasn't the greatest but his over all impact for this clubwas phenomenal.vhe led from the back and showed Webster the ropes.

Funny how Webster seems to be accepted despite what he done was far worse....

Legend bashing.

You sure he wasn't the best defender in Scotland during his time with Hearts?

:rofl:

As much as Pressley acted like a bit of a tit, I've never really got the whole seethe thing against him.

I'm sure he would make a decent coach at Hearts when the new owners take over the club.

He'll never return under Vald.

This.

And regardless of peoples' opinions of him as a person, the only thing which should be taken into consideration if the opportunity for him to manage Hearts arises is his ability as a manager.

Pressley went about 3 seasons straight pre Romanov where he barely missed a game and was outstanding week in week out.

Anyone who thinks he was shite either has a short memory or knows nothing about football.

At present Pressley's done nothing to suggest he could manage Hearts.

That said Levein only managed at Division 2 level before guiding Hearts to successive 3rd places in the SPL.

At present Pressley's done nothing to suggest he could manage Hearts.

That said Levein only managed at Division 2 level before guiding Hearts to successive 3rd places in the SPL.

Take George Burley out the equation and what have all the rest of our managers done before they came to us,we're not that kind of club who can take on successful managers at a fairly high level.

Snake Plissken

Some very curious revisionism going on about Pressley's playing ability on this thread...

He was a very consistent defender who performed well in the overwhelming majority of matches he played in his eight year spell, in more than 300 matches I'll struggle to accept he didn't have at least 250 good games. Pressley and Webster were the most consistent centre-back pairing in the SPL for three seasons.

He wasn't the most technically gifted player but I've never really looked for that in a centre-back. He was strong in the tackle, good in the air and read the game really well - he was never the quickest and that weakness was only really exposed against top class players. He was more than good enough for the SPL, to suggest he was anything less than a good player for Hearts is quite frankly laughable.

To say he should be considered a potential Hearts manager on the back of his record with Falkirk is equally ridiculous. I'm neither pro nor anti-Pressley. I do find that GIF and quite a lot of the snake chat pretty funny but the man himself doesn't bother me particularly. He's not at Hearts any more and unless he gets Falkirk promoted, shouldn't be considered a potential future Hearts manager.

Some very curious revisionism going on about Pressley's playing ability on this thread...

He was a very consistent defender who performed well in the overwhelming majority of matches he played in his eight year spell, in more than 300 matches I'll struggle to accept he didn't have at least 250 good games. Pressley and Webster were the most consistent centre-back pairing in the SPL for three seasons.

He wasn't the most technically gifted player but I've never really looked for that in a centre-back. He was strong in the tackle, good in the air and read the game really well - he was never the quickest and that weakness was only really exposed against top class players. He was more than good enough for the SPL, to suggest he was anything less than a good player for Hearts is quite frankly laughable.

To say he should be considered a potential Hearts manager on the back of his record with Falkirk is equally ridiculous. I'm neither pro nor anti-Pressley. I do find that GIF and quite a lot of the snake chat pretty funny but the man himself doesn't bother me particularly. He's not at Hearts any more and unless he gets Falkirk promoted, shouldn't be considered a potential future Hearts manager.

Excellent post. :thumbsup:

....and once again, we get these quite preposterous posts from people who are quite happy to tolerate someone like Andy Webster in our defence, but completely lose it when there is any talk of Steven Pressley coming back. :ermm:

His lapses of concentration is why I chortle at the 'legend' claims. There would be games where it would seem as if he was doing well and then he'd switch off for a few seconds and invariably we would concede a goal because of it. One such game that springs to mind (for example) was the home defeat to Rangers towards the back end of the 2002/03 season. We're holding our own against a Rangers side who really need to win to stay ahead in what was a very narrow title race with Celtic (they would win the league by a single goal remember). Pressley is playing well and then he switches off, fails to track his opposite number and Rangers score. There would be other games where he was culpable of this. I can think of at least six Hearts centre-halves in my lifetime (Levein, Jardine, McLaren, Weir, McPherson & Bruno) who I would rate ahead of him in terms of skill and talent.

Then of course was his classless actions when he came back to Tynecastle with Celtic. There was still some goodwill from a section of Hearts fans towards him. That went flying out of the window with his antics. Had he headed towards the general direction of the director's box and given it a GIRUY to those in it, all would have known it would have been directed towards the current regime. Instead, what he did only served to isolate those who had hero-worshipped him. An act by an individual with no class as a person.

Plus his actions at Riccarton were stupid. Try it at your work and see what happens. Had he really exhausted all avenues between him and the board then he should have gone through his union to try and resolve the management/worker dispute and taken it from there. What he did was to play into the board's hands. A lack of intelligence shown by someone who had previously tried to palm himself off as a deep thinker (previous season had seen him pontificate about being a student of 'business management' as he had read a manual or two on the subject).

I can think of at least six Hearts centre-halves in my lifetime (Levein, Jardine, McLaren, Weir, McPherson & Bruno) who I would rate ahead of him in terms of skill and talent.

Bruno? Bruno? You are kidding yourself. Cult hero - yes there's no doubt about that, but a better defender than Pressley? Not in a million years. Lazy, arrogant and sold the jerseys with his terrible marking in the 96/97 4-3 League Cup final.

While Elvis is the manager at Falkirk and is 'in charge' of things, and admittedly they are doing well out of their Academy and the utilisation of youth players, he wouldn't be shit without Alex Smith...

If you were to ask any of the young lads at Falkirk who they have learned the most from; it would be Alex Smith and the Academy Director Craig McPherson, who is an outstanding coach (along with their academy caoching staff, no doubt).

Not for me thanks. Elvis on his own would be a complete disaster.

While Elvis is the manager at Falkirk and is 'in charge' of things, and admittedly they are doing well out of their Academy and the utilisation of youth players, he wouldn't be shit without Alex Smith...

If you were to ask any of the young lads at Falkirk who they have learned the most from; it would be Alex Smith

and the Academy Director Craig McPherson, who is an outstanding coach (along with their academy caoching staff, no doubt).

Not for me thanks. Elvis on his own would be a complete

disaster.

Elvis with JJ as a mentor would work.

Charlie-Brown

Wont it though?

yeah but will it though? will it though? and am i bovvered? am i bovvered though? see my face - i aint bovvered! but anyway will it though?

yeah but will it though? will it though? and am i bovvered? am i bovvered though? see my face - i aint bovvered! but anyway will it though?

Charlie, your reply is up there with the best on this snakely seeeethfest thread!

Bruno? Bruno? You are kidding yourself. Cult hero - yes there's no doubt about that, but a better defender than Pressley? Not in a million years. Lazy, arrogant and sold the jerseys with his terrible marking in the 96/97 4-3 League Cup final.

Plugged the leak that was caused by the injury which would end Levein's career in 95/96.

Napoleon  Wilson

I dont see anything from Elvis at Falkirk that makes me think he is what we need or that he is ready to make the step up , He has Falkirk where they should be at worst top end of DIV 1 , I would say Barry Smith has shown more prospects at Dundee ,what he did last season ,and this season taking a decimated side from an awful start of a season to only 2 points behind falkirk .

Or the work Derek Adams has done at Ross County and didnt do at Hibs is more noticable

I like John McGlynn but Raith will be battling relegation by the look of things .

We have a far better manager in Sergio then elvis at the club ,i dont think Sergio is about to up sticks .

This

Snake Plissken

His lapses of concentration is why I chortle at the 'legend' claims. There would be games where it would seem as if he was doing well and then he'd switch off for a few seconds and invariably we would concede a goal because of it. One such game that springs to mind (for example) was the home defeat to Rangers towards the back end of the 2002/03 season. We're holding our own against a Rangers side who really need to win to stay ahead in what was a very narrow title race with Celtic (they would win the league by a single goal remember). Pressley is playing well and then he switches off, fails to track his opposite number and Rangers score. There would be other games where he was culpable of this. I can think of at least six Hearts centre-halves in my lifetime (Levein, Jardine, McLaren, Weir, McPherson & Bruno) who I would rate ahead of him in terms of skill and talent.

I'm not bothering with two of three paragraphs you wrote simply because they aren't pertinent to the points I made about his playing ability (or of much interest to me).

Of course there will be moments where Pressley made mistakes in some 300 competitive appearances but those errors were few and far between. Citing a single example and a vague suggestion of others reeks of desperation. You dislike Pressley and that's fine but you're letting that personal dislike cloud your judgement of a good player. The fact you rate Bruno as a better defender for Hearts than Pressley really says everything that needs to be known about your opinion on this one.

Pressley wasn't the best footballer in the world but he did well for Hearts.

There is a difference between marking Larsson,Hartson,Sutton and marking Stokes, Hooper, Mccourt that the SPL counts as "stars" now. :vrface:

Still a snake but.

So what you're saing is that is if we appointed Pressley as manager you wouldn't go to the games anymore?

How sad is that... :down:

So your best mate rides your wife, your mate thumps his chest in your face and in your house ... would you ever take either of them back in your life?

Drylaw Hearts

So your best mate rides your wife, your mate thumps his chest in your face and in your house ... would you ever take either of them back in your life?

:vrwow:

Archived