Tony Watt - returns to Charlton

Harry Potter

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He oozes skill but it's his application which worries me the most at the moment and that would be more apparent when he plays in the middle rather than up top. 

As much as I thought it at the start of the season, I no longer think Tony Watt is the answer to any of our problems.

Need to get some skill in midfield, Tony is the man, Guy

oozes skill. no doubt i will be shot down.

He lacks a football brain.  Lots of skill, but little end product.  If we can send him back in January could free up a wage for someone more likely to make an impact.

He's also very inclined to lose the ball somewhere along the way to beating as many of the opposition players as possible, so - if we're going to play him at all - it should be somewhere in the forward line. Agree that we need more skill and creative ability in our midfield though.

Rudi5kaceldream1ng

Not a goalscorer. Has been ineffective. Questions remain over attitude. Offload.

...and shot down you will be!

Skill's worth very little if there is no desire to go with it. 

I thought when he came on on Saturday he lacked the confidence he had before his period out the team.  Previously he just lacked end product now he lacks both.  Not really sure where we go with him.  

Fair points folks, i am biast as i like the bloke, just hope our new coach gives Tony a big shot.

Our midfield on saturday was very ineffective, but im just a fan.

I'm a bit puzzled by the frequent references to his "lack of application" and alleged bad attitude. Based on his spell at Hearts, where do these accusations come from?

I'm a bit puzzled by the frequent references to his "lack of application" and alleged bad attitude. Based on his spell at Hearts, where do these accusations come from?

I've thought that too.  He's always looked like a hard enough worker to me.  I don't know whether it's based on previous reputation.  He hasn't kicked on from the start of the season but there's definitely a player in there. I'd like our management to get the best out of him rather than just punt him back.  Agree that he looked short of confidence on Saturday.  A goal might be all that he needs.

All i see in Tony is a hungry football player that grafts his arse off.

Application he certainly does, but im biast.

Love him to hit the net more. 

Based on his last start at Hamilton away I think it is completely fair. I assume the management team at the time agreed as he hasn't started a game since.

Plenty skill, lacks a football brain and awareness. His decision making on when to pass, shoot etc is terrible. There is a player in there but we don't appear to be the first team unable to bring it out.

The Treasurer

Aye better just to stick with other players who have less ability and have a bad attitude as well.

Out of interest who are the other players with a "bad attitude" that you are referring to ?

We_are_the_Hearts

Out of interest who are the other players with a "bad attitude" that you are referring to ?

I don't think Watt has a bad attitude and I don't think any of them have a bad attitude to be honest. I just don't think enough of them have a good attitude. 

He has scored 1 goal for us...

I dont know about assists, can you advise?

He is awful...whether its attitude, lack of discipline or lack of heart that ultimately means there is zero end product from him, im not too sure...

But hard and fast stats, can you supply any to back up your thoughts?

Based on his last start at Hamilton away I think it is completely fair. I assume the management team at the time agreed as he hasn't started a game since.

Plenty skill, lacks a football brain and awareness. His decision making on when to pass, shoot etc is terrible. There is a player in there but we don't appear to be the first team unable to bring it out.

Thanks. I didn't see that game.

Completely agree re lack of awareness and decision making. In games I've seen, his contribution has often been poor. I hadn't seen evidence of bad attitude etc.. But quite a bit of evidence that he's just not a very effective player, despite clear talent.

Thanks. I didn't see that game.

Completely agree re lack of awareness and decision making. In games I've seen, his contribution has often been poor. I hadn't seen evidence of bad attitude etc.. But quite a bit of evidence that he's just not a very effective player, despite clear talent.

I would agree with you regarding his attitude up until then but that night reminded me of a wee boy playing on a cold night who couldn't be bothered. Hands up the sleeves and looked like he didn't want to be there.

Did you not see his attitude against Rangers? Was stinking. Looked completely uninterested.

jack D and coke

Watt looks a bit demoralised to me now. I'd never labelled him lazy though he put plenty effort in there just wasn't much end product.

He's a frustrating player...you know he's got something but it's finding a place where he can put it to best use.

Id be tempted to give him a few more chances personally.

The Treasurer

I don't think Watt has a bad attitude and I don't think any of them have a bad attitude to be honest. I just don't think enough of them have a good attitude. 

Make up your mind.

First you say Watt should be in ahead of players with a bad attitude.

Then you say no-one has a bad attitude

Then you say not enough have a good attitude (which would imply a bad attitude)

Sorry but that just doesn't make sense

Did you not see his attitude against Rangers? Was stinking. Looked completely uninterested.

No, I didn't see either Rangers game.

We_are_the_Hearts

He can't pass and has no awareness of anything going on around him.

When did the conversation move on to Kitchen?  :2thumbsup:

Voice of reason

I agree, it's worth a gamble - we often play with a very defensive minded midfield. I think having Watt in the engine room with a player like Cowie might work. One sitting and one creating. We also are missing Sam Nicholson in terms of creativeness. I think our defence is awful just now and our best chance to win matches is by winning 4-3 rather than aiming for 1-0. If you had a Walker, Cowie, Watt, Nicholson midfield with Djoum and Jonnson up front then we'd have a real goal threat. It might work, it might not but I think it's worth a go. There is no doubt Watt is a very talented player.

Grafts his arse off and full of application?! Bit early to be on the Christmas sherry mate!

I agree, it's worth a gamble - we often play with a very defensive minded midfield. I think having Watt in the engine room with a player like Cowie might work. One sitting and one creating. We also are missing Sam Nicholson in terms of creativeness. I think our defence is awful just now and our best chance to win matches is by winning 4-3 rather than aiming for 1-0. If you had a Walker, Cowie, Watt, Nicholson midfield with Djoum and Jonnson up front then we'd have a real goal threat. It might work, it might not but I think it's worth a go. There is no doubt Watt is a very talented player.

Watt doesn't create. He doesn't pick out any killer passes. He can't open up play and bring others into the game. He runs around with his head down, showing admittedly brilliant close control, before invariably scuffing a shot, shooting wildly off target, or passing it straight to the opposition.

Deserves another chance from the start behind Johnsen. He's a good player, he clearly has talent but he's flattered to deceive so far. Then again Sammon isn't exactly on the same wavelength.

Last chance for him to prove himself or sent back to Charlton. For the sake of his career he needs to come good soon.

Still rate the guy, he had some excellent performances earlier in the season.

Deserves another chance from the start behind Johnsen. He's a good player, he clearly has talent but he's flattered to deceive so far. Then again Sammon isn't exactly on the same wavelength.

Last chance for him to prove himself or sent back to Charlton. For the sake of his career he needs to come good soon.

Still rate the guy, he had some excellent performances earlier in the season.

What exactly has he does that deserves him to start, and not only start, but displace our most in-form player from the number 10 role?! That's a whole new level of stupid! :wow:

What exactly has he does that deserves him to start, and not only start, but displace our most in-form player from the number 10 role?! That's a whole new level of stupid! :wow:

Put Djoum back to midfield and drop Cowie or Kitchen. Hardly our most inform player in the last two games, I think Hamilton would have a claim to that.

Djoum is infinitely better playing behind Johnsen that Watt.

I'm not writing off Watt yet, but we should not move our best player out of position to accommodate him.

Howdy Doody Jambo

Is it a boot up the backside or an arm around to show him he's wanted , is it a discipline issue?

He has talent and looked happy and confident early season maybe needs a good run in the team and to find his true position

He must be running out of chances though he's had a few clubs

It's now or never Tony

We need Djoum behind Johnson as that number 10, his passing a hold up play is far better.

What Watt can deliver though is that he can run with the ball and beat a man and is good at harrying in the final thirs, I think he'd do a decent job out wide either left or right and worth a shot. However, I wouldn't expect him to do solid defensively and will likely cut into the penalty box from either side so maybe need to ensure the full back is available on overlap or sits deep to provide better cover

Watt hates Hearts, did so before he joined us. Can only assume he's using us to be nearer home.

Of course he is , the way he's owning it here,he'll maybe get to Clyde

No substance.

If he could channel his ability to turn himself into a team player maybe he would have a much bigger impact but frankly he looks like an amateur who practices skills all day and nothing else.

He doesn't look like he's ever played in a team. Everytime he has the ball his head goes down and it never comes up. Tries to do it all himself and loses the ball.

The amount of chances he gets inside the box but can't put away is criminal as well.

Ask him what position he wants to play. Stick him in it. Play him from the start. Give him 3 games in a row to prove his worth.

Then punt him if nothing has changed. Simples.

Ask him what position he wants to play. Stick him in it. Play him from the start. Give him 3 games in a row to prove his worth.

Not if it involves displacing better players.

We are not just a development platform for players and managers. We are Hearts.

No substance.

If he could channel his ability to turn himself into a team player maybe he would have a much bigger impact but frankly he looks like an amateur who practices skills all day and nothing else.

He doesn't look like he's ever played in a team. Everytime he has the ball his head goes down and it never comes up. Tries to do it all himself and loses the ball.

The amount of chances he gets inside the box but can't put away is criminal as well.

Looks like the guy who would be amazing at 5s but doesn't have a clue what to do in eleven a side matches

Reason i started this thread is because i believe in my honest opinion Tony is the most skillfull player at

Tyne for a long time.

Just hope our new manager and his understudy will give Tony a pop, at Hearts .

Glad this thread has lasted , i just love hearts , and any thing to help pleases me.

Constantly being fined for being late for training and to official club events. 

I can see why he's yet to establish himself at a club long term, his attitude stinks. I've lost count the amount of times I've seen him just give up after losing the ball or going in a strop because he's chucked himself at the deck because he's lost the ball and not getting the foul.

Get rid.

Djoum is infinitely better playing behind Johnsen that Watt.

I'm not writing off Watt yet, but we should not move our best player out of position to accommodate him.

The way I look at it just now is that we defensively aren't competing well enough in midfield. We aren't winning the 2nd ball or aerial battles in midfield which is giving the opposition too much time and too much possession to create chances, moving it wide into crossing positions and putting our defence under pressure ultimately costing us goals.

In possession and going forward we're going backwards or sideways because we don't have a player who can win it, keep it and play a forward pass.

Djoums natural position is CM and despite playing well in the role he's played recently our midfield hasn't been as strong.

Watt behind Johnsen hasn't really been tried and it doesn't have to be rigid. Watt can move wide right and Walker can go into the no 10 or Watt can drop deep for the ball and Djoum can move beyond him into the 10. It can be fluid.

It's merely a suggestion i'm throwing out there. :laugh:

Constantly being fined for being late for training and to official club events.

I can see why he's yet to establish himself at a club long term, his attitude stinks. I've lost count the amount of times I've seen him just give up after losing the ball or going in a strop because he's chucked himself at the deck because he's lost the ball and not getting the foul.

Get rid.

Is this true?

If so, then fair enough, not the type of professional I'd want at Hearts.

Agree absolutely, as long as it's in U20s / other games and nowhere near the first team.

Is this true?

If so, then fair enough, not the type of professional I'd want at Hearts.

I know that he was fined for being late to training and the calendar event on the same day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know that he was fined for being late to training and the calendar event on the same day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd imagine if he's been fined it wouldn't be the first time either. He'd no doubt be given a verbal warning and a written warning before hand.

Archived