**The OFFICIAL Rugby World Cup Thread**

Ray Winstone

I can't agree with a play-off. I think it's highly unlikely the side finishing top of the European Nations would ever be able to beat even the side finshing bottom of the 6 Nations in a one off match carrying such importance. I'd prefer to see the winner of the European Nations promoted to make a 7 Nations, which would then give them 6 matches against top 10 sides for at least a year.

After that I top side from the European Nations Cup should be promoted, and the side finishing bottom of the 6 Nations relegated.

Sorry, but I can't agree with that. It's certainly far less popular in the west, but in the East and the Borders I would suggest playing numbers probably rival football. Obviously in the country as a whole football dwarfs rugby, but I think Scottish sport in general is probably low in numbers compared to other countries of similar sizze, but that's another argument.

I play for Musselburgh RFC, who have youth teams from Primary 3 right up to U18, and 3 senior sides which is more than the majority of local football clubs provide.

Mate, by west I assume you mean west of the gyle.. Basically bits of Edinburgh and the Borders have an interest and take part... I grew up in west Lothian and I know 1 guy who has ever played the game at any level at all including school and guess what he went to Daniel stewarts.

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Magnificent performance from Ireland - thoroughly deserved win thumbsup.gif

Nobody will live with the All Blacks in this and most other World Cups, FACT....

You do know that the All Blacks have only ever won the World Cup once? And that was back in 1987.

The FACT is that the All Blacks tend to peak out with World Cup year. They are looking good so far this year, but have yet to play against decent opposition.

That said, I'm still tipping the All Blacks to win laugh.gif

I miss Bill McLaren....

:(

ITVs commentary is absolutely dreadful....ive had the games on mute quite abit.

Phil Vickery is just appalling!

We won't be able to play our best scrumager against Argentina because of his religious beliefs. Geoff Cross and Ally Dickinson are not the answer, even against a weakening Argentinian pack.

And just to clarify in 'rugby circles' Argentina making the semis in 07 was not a massive upset, as some on here would have you believe.

I prefer to go with the opinons of people that have been involved at the very top level of rugby...opinions that are backed up with hard evidence gentlemen.... :smuggy:

It was an upset. An opinion of mine shared by other people who have been involved in international rugby.

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

John Jeffrey..Heart of Midlothian supporter and winning a Grand Slam. :thumbsup:

Great viewing:

Proper rugby jerseys in a proper colour; shorts white (as they should be) and I'd forgotten about Craig Chalmers constantly licking his palms. I wonder what he's doing now and whether he still licks his hands while he does it!

It was an upset. An opinion of mine shared by other people who have been involved in international rugby.

An opinion that is not backed up by the evidence presented then......

Less than convincing.

What I'm really looking for is the Gavin Hastings try against France in Paris.

Great commentary...."Gavin Hastings has burst away and he's going to score between the posts! Would you believe it?" :thumbsup:

Had it on a video but it's been lost. :(

An opinion that is not backed up by the evidence presented then......

Less than convincing.

But it's from the same source as your own - and I quote you from a previous post: "I prefer to go with the opinons of people that have been involved at the very top level of rugby."

We might have been speaking with different people, but people who have been involved at the very top level of rugby nonetheless.

Either you're trolling or you really can't comprehend that.

But it's from the same source as your own - and I quote you from a previous post: "I prefer to go with the opinons of people that have been involved at the very top level of rugby."

We might have been speaking with different people, but people who have been involved at the very top level of rugby nonetheless.

Either you're trolling or you really can't comprehend that.

He's just trolling - not very effectively, either. He's basically just taken his lead from the most notorious troll who was ever on here, and declared himself to be correct, in spite of everyone else disagreeing with him.

Given his background as a History student, that makes him something akin to the David Starkey of this messageboard. :ninja:

What I'm really looking for is the Gavin Hastings try against France in Paris.

Great commentary...."Gavin Hastings has burst away and he's going to score between the posts! Would you believe it?" :thumbsup:

Had it on a video but it's been lost. :(

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/9388033.stm

It's still possible that France-Scotland could be a quarter-final, with the winners to play either Wales or Ireland. What an opportunity Ireland's win earlier has created for so many sides in this event.

He's just trolling - not very effectively, either. He's basically just taken his lead from the most notorious troll who was ever on here, and declared himself to be correct, in spite of everyone else disagreeing with him.

Given his background as a History student, that makes him something akin to the David Starkey of this messageboard. :ninja:

You could always report my posts, as trolling is against the rules.

However I think you will find, presenting an argument that is backed up by hard evidence is not considered trolling - just being correct.

:smugger:

You could always report my posts, as trolling is against the rules.

However I think you will find, presenting an argument that is backed up by hard evidence is not considered trolling - just being correct.

:smugger:

Yep - he's still at it. :whistling:

Yep - he's still at it. :whistling:

I find recently Shaun that once you have lost your way in an argument you turn around with the same chat on every occasion....

1) That I am just trying to be Acey (RIP :sob: )

2) Something to do with me being a historian.....

Must try harder old chap.

Now if you are not going to provide any evidence to support you accusation of 'trolling' then I suggest you stop trying to hijack my Rugby World Cup Thread.

I find recently Shaun that once you have lost your way in an argument you turn around with the same chat on every occasion....

1) That I am just trying to be Acey (RIP :sob: )

2) Something to do with me being a historian.....

Must try harder old chap.

Now if you are not going to provide any evidence to support you accusation of 'trolling' then I suggest you stop trying to hijack my Rugby World Cup Thread.

:rofl:

Oh, and I wasn't comparing you with Acey, champ. It was Acey's leading adversary I was thinking of. :thumbsup:

:rofl:

Oh, and I wasn't comparing you with Acey, champ. It was Acey's leading adversary I was thinking of. :thumbsup:

The moderating team?

The moderating team?

:lol:

Nope, an illustrious Kickbacker whom he took down in battle - only to himself fall in the subsequent firestorm. :sob:

And verily: this place was never the same again.

:lol:

Nope, an illustrious Kickbacker whom he took down in battle - only to himself fall in the subsequent firestorm. :sob:

And verily: this place was never the same again.

It will never be the same again - but equally I am sure you would shed some tears if anything was to ever happen to me on this forum.....:whistling:

It will never be the same again - but equally I am sure you would shed some tears if anything was to ever happen to me on this forum.....:whistling:

Self-praise is no praise - especially coming from one of this place's mere rank and file. :P

Self-praise is no praise - especially coming from one of this place's mere rank and file. :P

One man wolf pack right here...

The-Hangover-Costume.jpg

Memory might be playing up...

It was France 21-23 Scotland back then.

I'm sure Shaun will put me right.

Anyway, it's the battle of St George tomorrow.

Memory might be playing up...

It was France 21-23 Scotland back then.

I'm sure Shaun will put me right.

Anyway, it's the battle of St George tomorrow.

It was indeed. So Scotland went to Twickenham for a Grand Slam decider; both sides played supremely negatively; and England won 24-12, with no tries scored in the whole match.

Brian Moore promptly blamed Scotland for parking the bus and failing to entertain; whereupon by the time of their second fixture at the World Cup that summer, England found themselves the last try virgins in the entire competition! Even the Ivory Coast scored one before we did. :facepalm:

It was indeed. So Scotland went to Twickenham for a Grand Slam decider; both sides played supremely negatively; and England won 24-12, with no tries scored in the whole match.

Brian Moore promptly blamed Scotland for parking the bus and failing to entertain; whereupon by the time of their second fixture at the World Cup that summer, England found themselves the last try virgins in the entire competition! Even the Ivory Coast scored one before we did. :facepalm:

I really hate Brian Moore....

So, who'll win the battle of St George?

I'm going for a comfortable England win. :ninja:

I really hate Brian Moore....

So, who'll win the battle of St George?

I'm going for a comfortable England win. :ninja:

I'm going for an uncomfortable England win. I think Georgia will give us a bit of a scare - and remain of the view that England v Scotland will be very, very close. Especially if Scotland lose to Argentina, and have to beat us to remain in the competition.

I'm going for an uncomfortable England win. I think Georgia will give us a bit of a scare - and remain of the view that England v Scotland will be very, very close. Especially if Scotland lose to Argentina, and have to beat us to remain in the competition.

Scotland have pretty much been mince but have won the expected matches... all about Argentina and I'm not that confident about it...

An 11 day break is a bit shite. It's not cricket.

Fantastic stuff Arnold. Brought back a good few memories. Ireland proved today we can go to at least to semis.

thats class forgot about back then someone on your team has to prop the ball up for your kick like what gavin hastings did for scotts kick. should bring that back, no more plastic kick stands i say

I don't know how many pen kicks Flood has missed, but if that Georgian fecker could do what he's meant to do and slot them over, England would be getting leathered! :D

Sexton Hardcastle

So how will sunday pan out then?

Good to see Parks gtf but it looks like Contempomi will be back in the mix.

Scotland to shade it 19-17

So how will sunday pan out then?

Good to see Parks gtf but it looks like Contempomi will be back in the mix.

Scotland to shade it 19-17

Given that Scotland won their last two pivotal RWC pool games - against Fiji in '03, and Italy in '07 - by two points, that seems like a pretty good prediction to me. Except that, on what I've seen so far, I've a weird feeling that Argentina will beat Scotland... only for Scotland to then beat England. :o

Except that, on what I've seen so far, I've a weird feeling that Argentina will beat Scotland... only for Scotland to then beat England. :o

Is it down to point difference in that scenario because Scotland would be on the flight home if so. Personally I see us losing both although like you I think we will give England a game given the occasion and the fact it will be must win assuming the first part of the prediction is correct. Coming into it I thought we might beat the Argies but not now. They look a better team than when we have faced them previously and look to have far more cohesion throughout their side. Hopefully wrong but I seem them winning by around 8-10pts.

Is it down to point difference in that scenario because Scotland would be on the flight home if so. Personally I see us losing both although like you I think we will give England a game given the occasion and the fact it will be must win assuming the first part of the prediction is correct. Coming into it I thought we might beat the Argies but not now. They look a better team than when we have faced them previously and look to have far more cohesion throughout their side. Hopefully wrong but I seem them winning by around 8-10pts.

Bonus points would come into play before points difference: but yes, Scotland would be in trouble. There's no way the Pumas are winning by eight to ten on Sunday, though: if they win at all, it'll be mightily tight.

All blacks looking ominous... We will get them in the quarters if we finish 2nd... We need to beat both the Argie and England to avoid them... They would murder us

Only caught the second half of France - All Blacks, and it has been the Alain Rolland show from start to finish. What an utterly dreadful referee he is - getting in the way of play, particularly between the French half-backs, missing handling errors by turning his back on play, awarding a comedy try to France and generally interfering and droning on whenever a game of rugby threatened to break out. Hopefully whoever was assessing his performance will call time on his prospects of reffing the semis or the final, but somehow I doubt it.

Pienaar, dallaglio and rider and getting on my tits - France will be a rough opponent for England, does anyone have the Scotland vs England results or the last 10 or 15 years... Whilst England have had the best sure we have had quite a few wins and very few hammerings, they may be dabs but not a forgone conclusion surely... Hope we smash those dicks...

Given that Scotland won their last two pivotal RWC pool games - against Fiji in '03, and Italy in '07 - by two points, that seems like a pretty good prediction to me. Except that, on what I've seen so far, I've a weird feeling that Argentina will beat Scotland... only for Scotland to then beat England. :o

thanks for your tips Shaun. I'll be sure to put money on the exact opposite happening :)

Pienaar, dallaglio and rider and getting on my tits - France will be a rough opponent for England, does anyone have the Scotland vs England results or the last 10 or 15 years... Whilst England have had the best sure we have had quite a few wins and very few hammerings, they may be dabs but not a forgone conclusion surely... Hope we smash those dicks...

Since THAT win in 1990, we have beaten them three times (all at Murrayfield) and drawn one (at Murrayfield). The rest have been defeats. The closest we got at Twickenham was in our last title-winning year in 1999 where we lost 24-21 (IIRC). Had Kenny Logan had his kicking boots on that day, then our championship year would have been by way of a grandslam.

Archived