Playstation 3's....

Gimme an H...

Gimme an H...

Im thinking of getting me a Playstation 3 or a Xbox 360. Ive had a 360 before and got rid of it for different reasons rahter than the fact that I didnt like it, cos I did.

Shopping around tommorrow and Im just wondering apart from the obvious memory difference what other differences are there from the 40GB to the 60GB version of the Playstation 3's??

If its only the memory and not much else then I could well bump for the Playstation but I would have no problems getting another Xbox.

Anyone know?

Anyone know of any particularly good offers around at the moment aswel?

Cheers in advance.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the 360 at the moment has far better games at the moment, and any game worth playing on the PS3 can be played on the 360, quite often they play better on 360 as well. I'd consider that before you make your choice....

Gimme an H...
the 360 at the moment has far better games at the moment, and any game worth playing on the PS3 can be played on the 360, quite often they play better on 360 as well. I'd consider that before you make your choice....

That has been considered mate, the only real reason i've been looking at PS3's aswel is just for a change really. The more I think of it the more im heading towards another Xbox but I just really wa\nt to know the differences between PS3 modelks first before I decide for sure.

Oh and any particularly good offers??

Hungry Heart

Playstation 3 has far more capacity to be a better console, and it will be. It will find its feet in the next months with Grand Theft Auto IV, Metal Gear Solid 4 (Exclusively PS3) and Haze (Exclusively PS3) all coming out.

The 60 GB version can play PS1 and PS2 games as well as PS3 games where the 40GB one can't, plus its the best Blu-Ray player on the market. Even players specifically only made to play Blu-Ray don't match up to the PS3 according to gadget mags, including Sony's own blu-ray players - which are up to about ?700-?800. With Blu-Ray winning the High Def battle this is pretty good. So if you get one, you're getting a Blu-Ray player worth more than ?800 as well as a console.

I'd go for the PS3, I've played the Xbox (a lot before you ask) and it isn't quite the same. If you go for the PS3 then get Resistance: Fall of Man to see what it can do.

Oh, and 60GB PS3's have been discontinued so you can't buy them in shops. Best bet is Ebay - make sure you stick to good ratings (50+) and try and find brand new ones, as I would never trust anything that's used.

Gimme an H...
Playstation 3 has far more capacity to be a better console, and it will be. It will find its feet in the next months with Grand Theft Auto IV, Metal Gear Solid 4 (Exclusively PS3) and Haze (Exclusively PS3) all coming out.

The 60 GB version can play PS1 and PS2 games as well as PS3 games where the 40GB one can't, plus its the best Blu-Ray player on the market. Even players specifically only made to play Blu-Ray don't match up to the PS3 according to gadget mags, including Sony's own blu-ray players - which are up to about ?700-?800. With Blu-Ray winning the High Def battle this is pretty good. So if you get one, you're getting a Blu-Ray player worth more than ?800 as well as a console.

I'd go for the PS3, I've played the Xbox (a lot before you ask) and it isn't quite the same. If you go for the PS3 then get Resistance: Fall of Man to see what it can do.

Oh, and 60GB PS3's have been discontinued so you can't buy them in shops. Best bet is Ebay - make sure you stick to good ratings (50+) and try and find brand new ones, as I would never trust anything that's used.

Cheers for the info.

I was told the 40gb model couldnt be played online for some reason. I take it that is utter balls??

Hungry Heart
Cheers for the info.

I was told the 40gb model couldnt be played online for some reason. I take it that is utter balls??

40GB can be played online no probs.

I think there are online differences, but that may be down to the 60GB having more USB sockets etc... Personally I would go for the 60GB, but that's just me. The 40GB is technically inferior, but if all you're wanting to do is play PS3 games, and watch Blu-Ray films while having the capability to go online, it does just that.

Remember the PS3 online network is free too. Don't think the Xbox is.

UnworthyPapaLazaru

The 40G doesnt have the memory card readers either, but as far as I am aware, it is a moot point. There arent any 60G's in the shops.

There is a nice bundle just now with GT, not sure of the price though.

The 'PS3 has no games' message you get from xbox owners on repeat is also a bit of a myth. There are plenty of games. I dont have enough time to play the games I have and not enough money to buy the games I want.

Hungry Heart
The 40G doesnt have the memory card readers either, but as far as I am aware, it is a moot point. There arent any 60G's in the shops.

There is a nice bundle just now with GT, not sure of the price though.

The 'PS3 has no games' message you get from xbox owners on repeat is also a bit of a myth. There are plenty of games. I dont have enough time to play the games I have and not enough money to buy the games I want.

This is true. I've had mine for a year and only own 4 games. Still playing different ones at different times. Offline and online.

GTA will be better on the 360

Ryan Gosling

Re: the blu-ray player. Nonsense, you can get one for ?199 in richer sounds, ?229 on amazon.

Now is exactly the right time to get a ps3.

Pleanty of games on the ps3 just now to keep you entertained, cod4, burnout, uncharted drakes fortune, ratchet and clank, resistance.

The only diffirence between the 60gb model and the 40gb model is : The 40gb model contains no memory card reader-never used mine anyway. The 40gb model cannot play PS2 games, it is able to play the majority of PS1 games though. These are the only diffirences of the two models.

The ?299 40gb model comes with Gran Turismo 5 : Prologue

Cant really go wrong at that price for a top of the range blu ray player, and a top notch games console

These are some of the games that are out also in the next few months

Now: Gran Turismo 5 : Prologue

April : Grand theft auto IV, This will be game of the year, online sounds unbelievable

May : Wipeout HD

June : Metal Gear Solid 4

July : Socom

August : Resistance Fall of man 2, Killzone 2

September : Little Big Planet , google this game, gonna be big.

October : The new Pro probably

Then in 09 you have games like God of war 3, Drakes 2, two new final fanstasy games.... and many more unannounced games...

Also the PS3 is updated every month or two to include new functions which are sometimes really good

The PS3 can also play DiVX movies which are really good if you like getting "content" off the net ;)

The online system works superb, no lag, and im sure you've heard about Sonys new online service "Home" this will be hitting sometime before July and will really bolster the online experience on the PS3

Check out the 360 vs PS3 graphics videos -

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/29113.html'>http://www.gametrailers.com/player/29113.html

http://www.gametrailers.com - you should find comparison videos here

Those comparison videos are a bit unfair though.I have both consoles and knock the PS3 alot but most games that look bad on the PS3 are ports of 360 or PC games and the PS3 has trouble with ports.Some of the most stunning looking games this gen have been on the PS3 like Ratchet and Clank,Drakes Fortune(although i think others go a bit overboard about the gameplay on this game - it's only average,it is stunning to look at)

80gb PS3 rumoured for the summer. Current differences between 40 and 60gb also includes the memory card slots missing on the 40gig and less usb ports.

Since i got my 360 back from repair, it's hardly switched on. Always go for the PS3 version. Even though the 360 is usually better due to reliability

A month back that powerhouse (or something) place down in the NewKirkGate at the bottom of Leith walk still had 60gb PS3s. No idea if they still have them

marshallschunkychicken

Got my PS3 with GT5 (prologue) last Friday. Great fun.

Sales patter was pish though;

"Would you like our instore guarantee against accidental damage, only ?35?"

"No thanks,"

"But all the original PS3s are getting returned after a year with drive errors, it's a known problem.."

"Well that's not accidental damage then, is it?"

"........."

Gimme an H...

Cheers Folks!

About to leave in about half an hour or so...any last minute advice/anywhere with particularly good offers/recomendations about what I should go for??

Cheeeeeeeers!

Dean Winchester
Cheers Folks!

About to leave in about half an hour or so...any last minute advice/anywhere with particularly good offers/recomendations about what I should go for??

Cheeeeeeeers!

Go for the 360 :)

Cheers Folks!

Cheeeeeeeers!

360...It's the right choice.

80gb PS3 rumoured for the summer. Current differences between 40 and 60gb also includes the memory card slots missing on the 40gig and less usb ports.

Since i got my 360 back from repair, it's hardly switched on. Always go for the PS3 version. Even though the 360 is usually better due to reliability

There has always been an 80g in both the US and Japan

Got my PS3 with GT5 (prologue) last Friday. Great fun.

Sales patter was pish though;

"Would you like our instore guarantee against accidental damage, only ?35?"

"No thanks,"

"But all the original PS3s are getting returned after a year with drive errors, it's a known problem.."

"Well that's not accidental damage then, is it?"

"........."

Any problems Sony fix them quick as a flash.Thats one thing they def have over Microsoft.Basically if your console breaks down you get a new one in a couple of days and the guy takes your old one away.

BoJack Horseman

If you're playing online, 360 everytime. Xbox Live is unbeatable.

rudi must stay
If you're playing online, 360 everytime. Xbox Live is unbeatable.

aye xbox live is good. Unless you're **** at the games then it can be really annoying, some people on that are immense

Hungry Heart
GTA will be better on the 360

Not so.

Xbox has "exclusive online content" yes... but that's only because the PS3 will already have said content in the game anyway due to its much larger memory capacity.

The makers of Assasins Creed are also the makers of Haze. The decision to have Haze PS3 only is due to having to limit Assasins Creed's quantity as the Xbox wouldn't be able to fit half of what a blu-ray disc can hold on their regular hd discs.

So the OP - go for the PS3. Online is better, dont listen to the Xbox-ers, and its free. :-)

Not so.

Xbox has "exclusive online content" yes... but that's only because the PS3 will already have said content in the game anyway due to its much larger memory capacity.

The makers of Assasins Creed are also the makers of Haze. The decision to have Haze PS3 only is due to having to limit Assasins Creed's quantity as the Xbox wouldn't be able to fit half of what a blu-ray disc can hold on their regular hd discs.

So the OP - go for the PS3. Online is better, dont listen to the Xbox-ers, and its free. :-)

Eh if it is exlusive content how can it be on the PS3 already ?

Also why would Microsoft pay $50m to get exclusive content if it was already going to be on the PS3.Also Haze is only a timed release it is coming to 360 aswell.

Not so.

On launch GTAIV will be identical on the PS3 and 360

However

Somewhere around September/October the 360 will get an exclusive mission pack that will contain a few extra missions

Dean Winchester
Not so.

Erm no... The content is episodes which is NOT included in the PS3 version. Microsoft paid Rockstar a huge amount to make this expansion content exclusive (about ?25 Million.)

Wrong again. Ubisoft published Assasin's Creed but they didn't make it. Ubisoft Montreal did. Free Radical Design is developing Haze and Ubisoft is publishing it.

Having played online on a PS3, I dont find it better. The lack of communication astounds me, the connection (based on CoD4) was poor and it took 4 or 5 attempts everytime I wanted to try and get into a game

Riley you are a gaming GOD.

Your Acheivement points on the 360 are out of this world.You must play 24/7

COD4 had online issues on both consoles which has been patched.

Trying to be impartial here but if you go into a game of COD4 on the 360 its full of people whistling down the mic or a 13 year old American who thinks hes 50 Cent.

Everybody who has a 360 has a headset

People who want to chat on PS3 buy a headset and tend to be more mature online.

Dean Winchester
Riley you are a gaming GOD.

Your Acheivement points on the 360 are out of this world.You must play 24/7

Haha I've just had it since launch and rent alot of games through Lovefilm.

COD4 had online issues on both consoles which has been patched.

Trying to be impartial here but if you go into a game of COD4 on the 360 its full of people whistling down the mic or a 13 year old American who thinks hes 50 Cent.

Everybody who has a 360 has a headset

People who want to chat on PS3 buy a headset and tend to be more mature online.

Well turn those people who whistle down it on mute. Simple. I don't really tend to see the appeal of talking to strangers in games anyway. I only speak to my mates.

The exclusive GTA content will NOT be missions. At least nothing specific to the story mode. This has been said by Dan Houser (head of Rockstar) His words were something along the lines of ''We ahve a beginning and an end to the storymode in the normal game so I don't see what more missions would bring to the table.''

I think the extra content will be stuff like more custamisable people for online play. Different weapons, vehicles. More multiplayer modes. Probably some missions but nothing important. He said the guys in Edinburgh had a few cool ideas.

There will be 2 'episodes' of content exclusive for the 360. I'm assuming it will be worth the money too. You don't pay ?50M for a piece of crap.

Have to say the 360 would be my option just now, so many good games came out in the last year, i can not remember any console releasing so many quality games in such a short period of time, don't get me wrong i do like the ps3, but until it has a more substantial amount of games that are top quality just now the 360 has to be the gamers schoice of console.

the ps3 will overtake the 360 eventually though, it is ahead technology wise and when developers really get to grips with the machine i do think it will shine, but that may not be for another year or so, until shadow of the collossus 2 comes out and they do a proger gran turismo with bloody damage. :D

I have had nearl ery sole hat has ever came out and i have to say the 360 has been my favourite alongside the ps2, many happy gaming memories on both consoles.

360 games that are quality

Halo 3

Mass effect

Project Gotham racing 4

Skate

Devil May Cry 4

Half life 2 episode 2 and Portal

Bioshock

Gears of War

Rockband

F.E.A.R

Ghost Recon 2

and even Fifa 08 is great, i used to hate fifa games, was always a pro evo man.

Do The Dance

Even the gamepad is far superior for the 360!

The PS3 pad is too light, and my thumb slips from the stick whilst playing PES2008, doesn't happen on my 360.

Used to love Playstation, just think they've relied on fans too much with the PS3, it's just not as good as the 360.

Arthur Morgan

The PS3 and the 360 are about equal just now the 360 has better online how you can send someone a message during a game can join other people's games but the PS3 looks better your getting more than what your paying for because blu-ray player alone costs like ?1000 and the PS3 is the more powerful console the only reason 360 is ahead on games right now is because it has had a year head start on the PS3.

Just wait until home comes out on the ps3 though then you will be able to send messages during a game and join other people's games just like the 360

then the PS3 online will be better and by the end of the year the ps3 will have already overtaken the 360 maybe not in sales but it will be the better console at the end of this year.

I hope you got the ps3 (long term better console) and if you did you'll notice straight away its really heavy! but it looks amazing happy gaming!

how can you say the ps3 is the better long term option? Are people just going to stop making games for the 360?

At the moment the 360 has far more and far better exclusives, and although PS3 has MGS and FF on the way, the 360 will continue to get exclusives also.

As for power and capacity, thats a moot point. The PS2 was less powerful than the original Xbox and Gamecube...

you ask the majority of people and they will say the ps3 is the better long term option

The majority arent always right...

Arthur Morgan

yeah i suppose but thats my opnion i think the ps3 is better you think the 360 is better i dont want to argue here:)

360 is the best console, I'd rather have a Wii than a PS3. GTA has been with Sony since the early days, but look who has the exclusive content....Microsoft. PS3 is the better long term option? Don't make me laugh.

Arthur Morgan

well i think the ps3 is better and its the better long term option we're all entitled to our own opinions

well i think the ps3 is better and its the better long term option we're all entitled to our own opinions

In what way is it a better long term option though?

Arthur Morgan

Lets see ps3 home which will be amazing comes out very soon it will overtake xbl and the ps3 is a more powerful system its not at its highest potential yet. when it comes to technology the ps3 is far superior it is without doubt the strongest out of the 3 just wait till the end of this year or maybe sometime next year the ps3 will start to come out on top.

Even if it does become the better system (I agree it probably will but not in the time frame you are describing. I think mabye next christams)

It' won't have a better online component than XBL.

Arthur Morgan

It will be better online than 360 do you know what ps3 home is?

Also you said christmas next year but not the time limit i described but i said sometime next year that could still mean christmas next year i just meant anytime next year

Lets see ps3 home which will be amazing comes out very soon it will overtake xbl and the ps3 is a more powerful system its not at its highest potential yet. when it comes to technology the ps3 is far superior it is without doubt the strongest out of the 3 just wait till the end of this year or maybe sometime next year the ps3 will start to come out on top.

April Fools was yesterday...

How long are you willing to wait for it to be the superior console? It's been out for a while now and it's nowhere near the 360, and I don't see that changing. What are the sales figures like for the both of them? I'd imagine it will be in the 360's favour?

The 360 has the better games right now and will do in the future.

Arthur Morgan

ok i don't want to argue here ok so im just gonna say one thing then thats it cos i dont want to waste my time arguing with someone i don't even know on a forum because i'll say something then you'll say something and so on but im just saying that the 360 has had a year head start on the ps3 thats why its sold more than the ps3 i think the ps3 is better you think the 360 is better can we just leave it at that please were both entitled to our own opinions but as i said im not gonna say anthing else on this topic

I must have missed the argument. There's alot of debate on here about consoles but that's all it is.

Archived