Celtic fans attacking stewards & IRA Chants

Happy Hearts

Gods a Jambo

To be fair it looked far worse at the game as the Celtic fans were coming in from all angles, I honestly thought they were trying to make their way round the stand to section G.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Link e-mailed off to the BBC Sportscene and Sportsound! I wonder if they will make any comment on it. Don't hold your breath!

The rate of pay is irrelevant.

They are employed by the club at considerable expense to maintain order and ensure public safety, if they are not up to the job then the club should be asking for their money back as they are clearly not getting what they are paying for.

I worked as a steward a while back when I was skint and as far as I can see the point about the rate of pay is that the club is getting what it's paying for

They're buying a cheap, basic service which is sufficient for everyday purposes where disorder and threats to public safety are limited to isolated incidents and all that is required is usually telling daft laddies to calm down or escalating matters to your supervisor or straight to the police.

To be sure you're keep order in circumstances like the Roseburn last Wednesday you would need to pay premium prices for a premium service. Essentially you'd be asking the security firm to provide you with dozens of the more professional, full-time security people who work as night club bouncers and the like and they're not going to work for minimum wage.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

The rate of pay is irrelevant.

They are employed by the club at considerable expense to maintain order and ensure public safety, if they are not up to the job then the club should be asking for their money back as they are clearly not getting what they are paying for.

Let's get real for a second though. Nobody is going to get their head kicked in for a fiver an hour when the police are barely doing **** all.

An employee was on here the other day saying they are advised not to tackle invaders as they'll be held liable for injuries or something so I'd imagine the same applies in this case.

bean counter

Someone needs to speak to Peter Lawwell and while agreeing with his comments this morning ask as part of Celtics commitment to it how many fans have been banned from Parkhead this season for unacceptable behaviour, how many of this number were due to the investigation and action his chairman promised after the disgraceful poppy banner incident then show him the video and ask his thought on the "sniper", man in black hat kicking steward and the mass "we are the IRA" and what action he and the club will take to identify and ban those involved.

Let's get real for a second though. Nobody is going to get their head kicked in for a fiver an hour when the police are barely doing **** all.

An employee was on here the other day saying they are advised not to tackle invaders as they'll be held liable for injuries or something so I'd imagine the same applies in this case.

It's not the employees really, it's the employers.

They need to hire people who are willing/capable to handle certain circumstances,

The People's Chimp

Lets see the media pick up on this :

Filmed from very close to my seat in Section P. Had an excellent view of the muppets...

They need to hire people who are willing/capable to handle certain circumstances,

Without doubt. There is no point having a go at the folk who are working though. They aren't to blame.

Sad to say - but it's not Stewards that are required in the Roseburn Stand when Celtic come calling but a very heavy police presence and a zero tolerance approach. The easy answer, however is for the club to give Celtic Supporters the minimum possible allocation and for no tickets to be allocated unless the recipients details are fully verified.

Buffalo Bill

I wonder if Charlie Could've-been Nicholas thinks that Celtic should be banned from next season's Europa Cup?

Do we think anybody will be remotely interested in this.

It looks like a pushing match , hardly a riot.

Vlad-Stupid

Showed a viTim at work this video. He said it was the fault of the guy that ran on the pitch and the nasty songs we'd been singing. Completely blameless in his opinion :facepalm: He reckons we should be done for inciting it! :facepalm:

portobellojambo1

I would like to know if our club is willing to close the Roseburn when these horrible cretins come to town. The so called federation of Hearts supporters were on the HMFC main site before the game, where are they now?

Too much of a hot potato to get involved? :angry:

Sorry, IL, you haven't got a clue what you are talking about in relation to this. You may or may not have noticed there was a much heavier police presence around Tynecastle Wednesday night, you may or may not have noticed that there was a distinct lack of Celtic supporters buses on Gorgie Road Wednesday night. This was all as a result of discussions involving HMFC's security head, the FHSC and Lothian and Borders police. The FHSC are sick feckin fed up of HMFC being portrayed as the bad guys, mini feckin Rangers fans, etc. etc. and are sick fed up of the lax attitude towards visiting OF fans at Tynecastle (more so Celtic fans than Rangers fans, because trouble in and around Tynecastle is most prevalent when Celtic are in town).

What you may not be aware of either is that there were also large numbers of plain clothes police officers inside Tynecastle on Wednesday, with a specific job to do. That was to identify those making unacceptable comments and/or actions, and pass the information onto security and uniformed officers. The idea was that they would then be arrested, depending on the numbers involved, as they made their way to the concourses or as they left the ground and split up into smaller groups. This information obviously couldn't be openly broadcast pre match, otherwise the operation could fail. This, again, all followed discussions based around the portrayal of Hearts fans, and also the manner in which we are treated when we go to Parkhead.

As the video shows arrests were being made within the Roseburn end of the ground, around the concourse area, in fact one could argue the operation could have gone perfectly, as was hoped. While everyone accepts there is an element in our support whose views all may not agree with, the hope was that on the night their input would be so minimal (other than the waving of a few flags, and the odd song which would piss off the animals in the Roseburn) that the real problem makers (the visitors) would cop the full whack on Wednesday night.

Unfortunately one feckin trumpet screwed everything up, by deflecting all coverage away from the real problem, and giving the media the opportunity to crucify HMFC and its supporters in the process.

Not HMFC'c fault, not the FHSC's fault, not L & B's fault, in fact not even Neil Lennon's fault (irrespective of what you think of the odious little shop front). One person is to blame on Wednesday.We just have to hope that L & B have captured enough additional video evidence to use if necessary in any ongoing investigations into events on Wednesday, and I'm talking now about what went on in the Roseburn.

Sorry, IL, you haven't got a clue what you are talking about in relation to this. You may or may not have noticed there was a much heavier police presence around Tynecastle last night, you may or may not have noticed that there was a distinct lack of Celtic supporters buses on Gorgie Road last night. This wall all as a result of discussions involving HMFC's security head, the FHSC and Lothian and Borders police. The FHSC are sick feckin fed up of HMFC being portrayed as the bad guys, mini feckin Rangers fans, etc. etc. and are sick fed up of the lax attitude towards visiting OF fans at Tynecastle (more so Celtic fans than Rangers fans, because trouble in and around Tynecastle is most prevalent when Celtic are in town).

What you may not be aware of either is that there were also large numbers of plain clothes police officers inside Tynecastle on Wednesday, with a specific job to do. That was to identify those making unaccpetable comments and/or actions, and pass the information onto security and uniformed officers. The idea was that they would then be arrested, depending on the numbers involved, as they made their way to the concourses or as they left the ground and split up into smaller groups. This information obviously couldn't be openly broadcast pre match, otherwise the operation could fail. This, again, all followed discussions based around the portrayal of Hearts fans, and also the manner in which we are treated when we go to Parkhead.

As the video shows arrests were being made within the Roseburn end of the ground, around the concourse area, in fact one could argue the operation could have gone perfectly, as was hoped. While everyone accepts there is an element in our support whose views all may not agree with, the hope was that on the night their input would be so minimal (other than the waving of a few flags, and the odd song which would piss off the animals in the Roseburn) that the real problem makers (the visitors) would cop the full whack on Wednesday night.

Unfortunately one feckin trumpet screwed everything up, by deflecting all coverage away from the real problem, and giving the media the opportunity to crucify HMFC and its supporters in the process.

Not HMFC'c fault, not the FHSC's fault, not L & B's fault, in fact not even Neil Lennon's fault (irrespective of what you think of the odious little shop front). One person is to blame on Wednesday.

Will the Federation be putting pressure on for Celtics allocation to be cut to the minimum? As far as I can see, that's what we all want and will take away the need for undercover police men and all that.

bean counter

I thought Celtic brought their own stewards when they came to Tynecastle, is that still the case ?

well i wonder if all the bull$4it about them being the best fans in the world is still being spread

disgusting

williamgerrard

I have contacted the police about that video also contacted the spl and informed the scottish sun of it and its link i want our club to be cleared heres the number for the scottish sun 0141 4205200 the sun have been looking for that footage witch now hopefully hammer celtic aswell now

scottish_chicP

Absolutely scum of the earth! It makes me so angry that they are pleading all this nonsense about getting the "shame" out of Scottish football. Actually raging watching that video :angry:

The Natural Order

What I want to know is, would Hearts not have CCTV of this? When this kicked off I'm sure that a number of cameras must have been turned towards that area of the stadium and I'm sure it must have been recorded.

Hearts should get the footage out there

Bert Le Clos

The club needs to employ tougher security. Especially for matches against Hibs, Celtic and Rangers.

However I don't buy into the argument that stewards should do sweet FA just becuase they don't get paid a fortune. They've taken the job knowing what could possibly happen. They can't decide to take their money when the going's easy and do nothing when it gets tough.

If everybody had the same opinion that they were underpayed so they'll do nothing, then nothing would ever get done.

But I agree that the responsibility should fall at the door of Hearts to employ a better company, or the company to not employ 5ft 2in women.

Walter Bishop

Unbelievable response from a chief sports reporter for NATIONAL not Glasgow news on Twitter after is sent video in response to him declaring his love for Lennon:

jamiejj29 jamie j29

@STVRaman

are you going to report this then or are you too scared???

STVRaman Raman Bhardwaj

@jamiejj29 I always find it strange when people tell others how to do their job. Do I tell you how to do your job? No. End of.

@jamiejj29

@STVRaman Totally expected response from a west coast panderer hope you are proud of one of your big 2 teams. Clown #mickeymousejournalist

mikescotland

How do they manage it though? I mean, every time something happens (death threats/bombs apart) they've played the victim card and the only things reported show fans of other clubs in a bad light. I'm including the way they seem to manage to get uefa to listen to them moaning about the huns singing songs they dinnae like. why is it such a one way street for them?

Geoff Kilpatrick

You do know that Septic have another get out of jail free card here?

They'll immediately blame HMFC for selling them the tickets and say that these supporters wouldn't have got them had Septic sold them the tickets and Hearts paid that fecking booking fee. :mad:

Sad to say - but it's not Stewards that are required in the Roseburn Stand when Celtic come calling but a very heavy police presence and a zero tolerance approach. The easy answer, however is for the club to give Celtic Supporters the minimum possible allocation and for no tickets to be allocated unless the recipients details are fully verified.

The sheer manpower involved in a heavy enough police presence would make this hugely expensive

Depending on how many concessions there were the total value of ticket sales in the Roseburn Stand on Wednesday would have been a little over or under ?100,000

Even last Wednesday's additional security costs would have made a noticable dent in that and the kind of operation you're talking about would mean that you'd have to start wondering whether letting any Celtic fans in at all was worthwhile.

Especially if you could sell any of the roseburn to Hearts supporters

The police were all on the Roseburn concourse dealing with a disturbance in there. They were seriously outnumbered. I think folk forget for every person arrested that is 2 cops out of the picture. In situations like Wednesday night your only chance of an arrest is using CCTV footage afterwards, a la Manchester. I wasn't in that stand on Wednesday but was at the last game v Celtic at Tyney and I can tell you straight there is no way you could make an arrest when you are being attacked from all sides. Haven't seen anything like it since West Ham in the 80's.

scottish_chicP

I posted it on my facebook page and so many Celtic fans defending it saying a steward grabbed a girl by the throat.

The Treasurer

You're spot on.

If they bleat about getting a reduced allocation then HMFC only need to say that due to previous incidents the level of security required to sufficiently police a full Roseburn stand would not be cost effective

This is no different from the Hearts fan that punched Lennon yet the Scottish Media is only reporting that ginger twats incident!

williamgerrard

we should be passing on this info to all forms of media ive just been in contact with bbc,sun,record,spl,police,mirror LETS FIGHT BACK NOW

No been on since wednesday until today so forgive me if been covered

Mate told me that on the radio coming home from game they alleged the smellies had rioted because a steward had pulled a female out by the hair?

From that video the stewards were too but keeking themselves to do much more.

portobellojambo1

Will the Federation be putting pressure on for Celtics allocation to be cut to the minimum? As far as I can see, that's what we all want and will take away the need for undercover police men and all that.

The next FHSC meeting isn't until June/July now AG, but I would imagine Wednesday night's events will be discussed in depth at the next meeting. However, such a decision regards ticket allocation I would think can only be made by HMFC (I'm honestly not sure how much pressure can be put on the club from the FHSC). I think they have to allocate visiting teams some tickets, but I'm sure the club will look at all options available to them regards the actual number, and will potentially have to discuss such things with the police (i.e. for such things as segregation if the additional seats are allocated to HMFC fans).

Geoff Kilpatrick

You reckon maybe adopting a slightly less hysterical approach might have helped matters?

The video is being watched in the STV newsroom right now. Continue being offensive to folk if you wish, but expect any sympathy for decent Hearts fans who have been caught up in this to diminish very quickly if you continue being a confrontational [Mod Edit].

:thumb:

Jamie was obviously :seething: that there wasn't a newsflash!

super_vlad

You do know that Septic have another get out of jail free card here?

They'll immediately blame HMFC for selling them the tickets and say that these supporters wouldn't have got them had Septic sold them the tickets and Hearts paid that fecking booking fee. :mad:

Yep, all celtic have to say is we warned you this would happen if you sell tickets directly!

Mr Brightside

Yep, all celtic have to say is we warned you this would happen if you sell tickets directly!

I thought Hearts only sold tickets to Ragers and Celtic season ticket holders and they had to take their season ticket to the ticket office as proof?

Walter Bishop

You reckon maybe adopting a slightly less hysterical approach might have helped matters?

The video is being watched in the STV newsroom right now. Continue being offensive to folk if you wish, but expect any sympathy for decent Hearts fans who have been caught up in this to diminish very quickly if you continue being a confrontational [Mod Edit].

Hardly being offensive or even confrontational I would call it being very frustrated and extremely pissed off that we as Hearts fans are having to raise these issues and go with begging bowls in hand to show that some of us are genuine and we should not all be tarred with the same brush as 1 arsehole.Ths should be reported along with the Lennon incident as it imo is much much worse.

I have since deleted my last post however there is no way on this earth that this will be raised on the Glasgow national news this evening.

Gods a Jambo

I think you're a bit out of order in your response to the guy. I can see where he is coming from and share his frustration, I assume you work in the media, hence your "hysterical" response.

Nelly Terraces

CONTACT E-MAILS

SPL

[email protected]

[email protected] NEIL DONCASTER

SFL

[email protected]

[email protected]

(DAVID LONGMUIR)

REAL RADIO 0845 1002 101

TXT 63344

DAILY RECORD

WEB EDITOR 014 1309 1460

EMAIL WEBEDITOR @DAILYRECORD.CO.UK

SPORT 0141 309 3535 SPORT@DAILYRECORD .CO.UK

SUN

[email protected]

RADIO CLYDE 0141 565 2200

Icl1.fmc.net/contactus.asp

Radio Scotland

Studio 0500 929 500

www.bbc.co.uk/radioscotland

UEFA

0041 848 00 2727

UEFA.COM

MEDIA DESK 0041 848 04 2727

NIL BY MOUTH

[email protected]

0141 5595008

SHOW RACISIM THE RED CARD

0141 222 2058

[email protected]

Walter Bishop

It was very confrontational and that's down to your frustration - but this video only came to light this morning and there's not been a bulletin broadcast yet!

I don't agree that this is worse than Lennon's safety being comprimised by that nutcase on Wednesday night but I also passionately believe that the other unsavoury aspects to that night should not be allowed to be brushed under the carpet because of it. I include our support's singing of the Billy Boys in that statement.

Time will tell what coverage this evidence receives. I too have my fears it will not see the light of day, but we cannot allow ourselves to boil over in a Celtic-like way.

Of course its down to frustration, especially when idiots like Charlie Nicholas are coming out saying we should be banned from Europe! There is nobody in the Scottish media that has the balls to highlight this video as it would alienate half an audience. We live in a sad society where 2 football clubs from Glasgow are running the show.

Geoff Kilpatrick

I thought Hearts only sold tickets to Ragers and Celtic season ticket holders and they had to take their season ticket to the ticket office as proof?

That may be the case as well, but it wouldn't stop them using it, particularly as they have a lot more than 3500 ST holders.

Lawwell has no shame.

Gods a Jambo

I expect you would want to be afforded common courtesy in your workplace - there is no profession where your standing legitimately allows others to be rude to you.

I too share the exact frustrations of yourself and Jamiej. I also understand that you are far more likely to get anywhere with people if you respect them and interact with them in a reasonable fashion.

To be fair i didnt think his point was made in a bad way, his reaction to the reply maybe let him down a bit. Considering he was just frustrated and the point of your post was to tell him to how to approach future situations, I think you let yourself down when you called him a "confrontational [Mod Edit]".

I don't think anyone will give a toss but I admire anyone who sweats blood to get this into the public domain.

What is our club doing?

It was very confrontational and that's down to your frustration - but this video only came to light this morning and there's not been a bulletin broadcast yet!

I don't agree that this is worse than Lennon's safety being comprimised by that nutcase on Wednesday night but I also passionately believe that the other unsavoury aspects to that night should not be allowed to be brushed under the carpet because of it. I include our support's singing of the Billy Boys in that statement.

Time will tell what coverage this evidence receives. I too have my fears it will not see the light of day, but we cannot allow ourselves to boil over in a Celtic-like way.

Borthers, I think you have to accept that many people posting on here just now are very emotive about incidents that happened on Wednesday night. The unfortunate thing is the that Scottish Media generally are not seen as being either impartial or fair minded by many people here. There is the problem - how do you approach people who you feel don't play fair and don't always tell the truth without being confrontational. The problem is that they are living in their own little cocoon in Glasgow and are only really interested in representing the interests of the two big Glasgow clubs as positively as possible. That why frustration leads to whats seen as a confrontation style by some folk when dealing with them.

The Mighty Thor

I spoke at length to my mate who was on duty on Wednesday night and it was carnage.

A huge ruck in the Roseburn followed by the chaos in the stands.

His point was that for every person lifted it takes two officers out to remove them and process them. L&B simply don't have enough bodies on the ground, even at a Cat A game, to cover that kind of aggro.

They'd love to be able to steam in and lift folk for singing offensive songs etc but they simply haven't got the people to do it.

His point was with the state of the art CCTV that Hearts have they could and should be warning ST holders about their conduct with the threat of bans etc. Controversial stuff.

The Treasurer

I think we would gain more credibility and respect if, as you suggest, we highlight and acknowledge that we are by no means blameless in this whole affair.

If then the club are seen to actively take steps to address the situation it would leave the OF's pathetic attempts to get their own house in order exposed for the sham that it is.

The Old Tolbooth

Watching this the things that sprung to mind were :

Where were the police and how slow were they to react. I only saw two officers at the start of the mayhem and they quickly disappeared down the exit tunnel.

What the footage doesn't show you is the amount of people brawling down the tunnel and at the food kiosks, and this is why the police were quick to head down the tunnel to get at the heart of the problem.

Showed a viTim at work this video. He said it was the fault of the guy that ran on the pitch and the nasty songs we'd been singing. Completely blameless in his opinion :facepalm: He reckons we should be done for inciting it! :facepalm:

Always the victims eh? Parasites!

The trouble was sparked off because they tried to rob our food kiosks again, which is why the majority of the trouble happened on the concourse, with this in mind, and with the Celtic fans claims that it was because of the fan who attacked Lennon which sparked the trouble off, then the people who were trying to raid the kiosks at the time wouldn't even have seen what happened on the pitch, because they weren't at their seats!

Sweep sweep sweep sweep sweep sweep sweep...................oh, and deflect!

What the footage doesn't show you is the amount of people brawling down the tunnel and at the food kiosks, and this is why the police were quick to head down the tunnel to get at the heart of the problem.

Always the victims eh? Parasites!

The trouble was sparked off because they tried to rob our food kiosks again, which is why the majority of the trouble happened on the concourse, with this in mind, and with the Celtic fans claims that it was because of the fan who attacked Lennon which sparked the trouble off, then the people who were trying to raid the kiosks at the time wouldn't even have seen what happened on the pitch, because they weren't at their seats!

Sweep sweep sweep sweep sweep sweep sweep...................oh, and deflect!

Because the Celtic fans were outraged at the attack on Lennon. It must be true because Andy Masturbator clearly said so on Sky at the time. Naturally.

Archived