REAL Hearts heroes

Therapist

One thing that struck me at the Willie Bauld dinner last night was how much I'd give to knock the years off some of the former players and get them back in the famous maroon jersey. Today's team are imposters compared to them. :sad:

Back then we had Drew Busby in midfield. Now we've got Michael Stewart. :o

Who was all there therapist?

Freddie Glidden, Shuggy Shaw, Davie Holt, Alan Anderson, Dave Clunie, Drew Busby, Roy Kay, Gary Locke, Dave Mackay, Gary Mackay and many more.

Back then we had Drew Busby in midfield. Now we've got Michael Stewart. :o

Busby hated playing in midfield. In his words "I was never a midfielder". He was still better than Michael Stewart in midfield though! LOL!

Lynn

blondejamtart

So what do you think the main difference is between those players and what we have today? They were paid a fraction of what our over-priced lot get, yet they played with far more commitment and passion. What has changed so much over the years? Any thoughts?

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Was looking through the photos earlier and thinking who are they going to invite to these kind of events in 20 years?

Zaliukas? Number 28?

Busby hated playing in midfield. In his words "I was never a midfielder". He was still better than Michael Stewrt in midfield though! LOL!

Lynn

Yes, they didn't really have midfield in those days. Technically, he was an inside forward and a truly great one.

So what do you think the main difference is between those players and what we have today? They were paid a fraction of what our over-priced lot get, yet they played with far more commitment and passion. What has changed so much over the years? Any thoughts?

Excellent question Blondie.

The players of that era seemed genuinely proud to pull on the maroon. Today's players hunt money and will "play" for whoever rewards them best.

Those players couldn't afford to miss a match BJT. Drew told us that he'd play even though he wasn't 100% fit, as he couldn't afford to miss a match and have another player take his place. Nowadays, a wee *twaek* and they are out for weeks! Also, I think most players who played for the club back then, actually felt a bit of pride when they pulled that marron jersey over their head.

Lynn

davemclaren
Those players couldn't afford to miss a match BJT. Drew told us that he'd play even though he wasn't 100% fit, as he couldn't afford to miss a match and have another player take his place. Nowadays, a wee *twaek* and they are out for weeks! Also, I think most players who played for the club back then, actually felt a bit of pride when they pulled that marron jersey over their head.

Lynn

I was thinking that last night at the dinner. Dave Mackay had travelled from Derby and Roy Kay from York to be there. How many of today's squad would have the slightest interest in coming back for such an event in 20, 30, 40 or even 50 years time?

When you hear guys like Dave Mackay and Freddy Glidden speak you can tell they have a real passion for the club and are sincerely grateful still to be involved in some way. Something has been lost over the years...

blondejamtart

Lynn

I think you've hit the nail on the head there, Lynn. They may have been paid a lot less, but they also relied on what they did make every week far more. I also agree with you that there did seem to be far more of a sense of pride in playing for the club, something which sadly seems to be lacking in many players these days.

Was looking through the photos earlier and thinking who are they going to invite to these kind of events in 20 years?

Zaliukas? Number 28?

Freddie Glidden, Shuggy Shaw, Davie Holt, Alan Anderson, Dave Clunie, Drew Busby, Roy Kay, Gary Locke, Dave Mackay, Gary Mackay

;)

Zaliukas? Number 28?

The Buzzbomb's looked after himself, so would like to think he'd still be around.:cool:

Lynn:ninja:

Lynn

We were talking about this on the way to the game yesterday.

Not that long ago, Mickey Cameron was regularly getting injections and playing through the pain for Hearts.

Neil McCann last week announced that he was having a little bit of discomfort so he wasn't going to play again for us this season after getting the plate taken out of his ankle. Couldn't he have put that operation off to the close season and started to earn his million pound jackpot he's had out of Hearts?

Not that I would have wanted him to play anyway, but it just shows what the attitude of these guys we have now are.:mad:

Graham Thomson
Freddie Glidden, Shuggy Shaw, Davie Holt, Alan Anderson, Dave Clunie, Drew Busby, Roy Kay, Gary Locke, Dave Mackay, Gary Mackay and many more.

Dave Clunie still gives me nightmares........

I was thinking that last night at the dinner. Dave Mackay had travelled from Derby and Roy Kay from York to be there. How many of today's squad would have the slightest interest in coming back for such an event in 20, 30, 40 or even 50 years time?

When you hear guys like Dave Mackay and Freddy Glidden speak you can tell they have a real passion for the club and are sincerely grateful still to be involved in some way. Something has been lost over the years...

Robbie :peek_by_Andrin:

Miko:peek_by_Andrin:

Robbie :peek_by_Andrin:

Miko:peek_by_Andrin:

Okay Robbie will never ever be accepted by some but at least he has a special Cup Final memory.Plus he always gives 100%.

Makes him an ideal guest in years to come.

There is not one single player currently at the club who even looks to have the POTENTIAL of ever becoming a hero.

Okay Robbie will never ever be accepted by some but at least he has a special Cup Final memory.Plus he always gives 100%.

Makes him an ideal guest in years to come.

Add Stevie Banks to the invite list. Great with the fans.

I certainly do not idolise any members of the current team, in fact I don't even think I have a favourite player at the moment, a team made up of mediocre journeymen, young scots who are not good enough and a couple of good players who are just happy to pick up thier thousands every week and sit on the treatment table

Actually as I type this, I have reminded myself that Ruben is not too bad.:confused:

Buffalo Bill
One thing that struck me at the Willie Bauld dinner last night was how much I'd give to knock the years off some of the former players and get them back in the famous maroon jersey. Today's team are imposters compared to them. :sad:

I know what you mean.

I wasn't around for Ford and Busby, but I'd love to have been able to say I watched them play.

Gary Mackay, JC, JR, Henry Smith and Craig Levein etc were all my heroes as a young boy.

Latterly Cameron and Neimi.

Kids now don't have anyone, bar Larry Kingston passing through for a year or two.

Sad.

Buffalo Bill

You left out the main man in my opinion - Alex Young who went from Hearts to become a legend at Everton where he was known as "The Golden Vision". Also Jimmy Murray, a nicer person you could never meet and the first Scottish player ever to score a goal for Scotland in the World Cup finals. A couple of notable Hibbees as well in Lawrie Reilly and Tommy Preston. Both stood for the toast to "Heart of Midlothian Football Club" but Lawrie rather cheekily said in a stage whisper "Hibernian FC". Still, a great player is entitled to his little idiosyncracies.

Archived