Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

The what are you reading at the moment fred

Haken
14 hours ago, sadj said:

One of my friends is the single most beautiful soul imaginable and shes recommended “the Alchemist” anyone read it?

Years ago but can't remember much about it, but it's one of those books that's popular to have read...

Haken
On 20/04/2020 at 11:43, Haken said:

Karin Slaughter's Will Trent series is pretty good without being brilliant.  Trent is an interesting character and I like the wider story arc that continues from book to book.  So finished Fallen and straight onto the next one, Criminal.

Criminal was pretty good and provides a lot of back story to some of the main characters.  Clears up a lot of questions around how a dyslexic fella managed to become an agent for a federal agency...

Now reading the first of the Wayward Pines trilogy by Blake Crouch.

sadj
14 hours ago, Georgecowie said:

Surely that is recommendation enough? Or no in other words. I've started the trick is to keep breathing by Janice Galloway. Not sure it's a great idea in lockdown but OK so far. 

its the best recommendation , was just curious on peoples thoughts on it

The Frenchman Returns

Finished Love From Both Sides by Nick Spalding and it was an excellent piece of modern day filthy junk.

Now moved on to The Spirit of the Dragon by William Andrews, the 3rd book in the trilogy about Korea. A more  serious novel which charts the Japanese occupation and rise of Korean nationalism before and after the 2nd World War. A good read so far and topical as North Korea is back in the news.

3fingersreid

Just finished Helmet For My Pillow

a very interesting view of the Pacific war from a marines point of view . It was the book that the mini series The Pacific was based on 

The Frenchman Returns
Posted (edited)

The Ask and the Answer by Patrick Ness, book 2 of the Chaos Walking trilogy.

Decent young adult science fiction. I only have about three books left on my kindle, charity shops are closed, so my choices are getting sorely restricted unless I spend some cash.

PS Book one of the Chaos Walking trilogy is being made into a film, due out early 2021.

Edited by The Frenchman Returns

annushorribilis III

Fire & Fury by Michael Wolff.  It's about his perception of Trump's presidency over the first nine months where he had total access to the WH and all staff.

Interesting views on the Trump personality and his utterly useless cabinet, family & political advisers. I originally started out thinking they were all  opportunists out for personal gain (clearly some are) but more & more you see a country ruled by complete incompetents (because Trump never built a political base ready for power he has no one & anyone with any gravitas will not work for him) and a president who just doesn't care about anything he's not interested in (and he's not interested in much).

Interesting too that he never considered he would win the presidential race.

Jamhammer

Just finished Stephen King's Doctor Sleep. Haven't read one of his for a wee while but really enjoyed it

been here before

Nearly finished this....

9780753553954.jpg.1889533da670b3abae627ff1991d3200.jpg

...which as an ensemble piece actually flows quite well. Its the story of the band and its constituant members up until 1980.

will-i-am-a-jambo
9 hours ago, annushorribilis III said:

Fire & Fury by Michael Wolff.  It's about his perception of Trump's presidency over the first nine months where he had total access to the WH and all staff.

Interesting views on the Trump personality and his utterly useless cabinet, family & political advisers. I originally started out thinking they were all  opportunists out for personal gain (clearly some are) but more & more you see a country ruled by complete incompetents (because Trump never built a political base ready for power he has no one & anyone with any gravitas will not work for him) and a president who just doesn't care about anything he's not interested in (and he's not interested in much).

Interesting too that he never considered he would win the presidential race.

If the bit in bold is true - it certainly shows!

Back on topic, l've just finished reading War and Peace, it took me about a year, obviously lm not the quickest reader but l feel quite proud having read it.

Riddley Walker

I'm reading Adults in The Room by Yanis Varoufakis. 

Former Greek finance minister documenting the years 2010-2015 and the mental behind-the-scenes dealings with the EU, ECB, Greek govt. etc during the Greek debt crisis. 

It's given me a bit of a crash course in economics but he makes it accessible and has a great writing style. Heavily critical of the EU and European banking bodies. Excellent read so far. 

Haken
On 07/05/2020 at 11:19, Haken said:

Criminal was pretty good and provides a lot of back story to some of the main characters.  Clears up a lot of questions around how a dyslexic fella managed to become an agent for a federal agency...

Now reading the first of the Wayward Pines trilogy by Blake Crouch.

My reading has slowed down mainly due to the fact that I used to do most of it ion my commute.  Onto the second instalment in the Wayward Pines trilogy.  S'OK

On 19/05/2020 at 23:11, The Frenchman Returns said:

The Ask and the Answer by Patrick Ness, book 2 of the Chaos Walking trilogy.

Decent young adult science fiction. I only have about three books left on my kindle, charity shops are closed, so my choices are getting sorely restricted unless I spend some cash.

PS Book one of the Chaos Walking trilogy is being made into a film, due out early 2021.

Glad that not all my recommendations are cack.

On 20/05/2020 at 13:28, Jamhammer said:

Just finished Stephen King's Doctor Sleep. Haven't read one of his for a wee while but really enjoyed it

Probably one of King's better efforts of late.

Weakened Offender

His books are such a mixed bag. The Dark Half and Bag of Bones were a both great reads. 

Space Pirate
Posted (edited)

Is this where all the intelligent folk hang out?

Moan the grammar police. 

Edited by Space Pirate

Jamhammer
46 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

His books are such a mixed bag. The Dark Half and Bag of Bones were a both great reads. 

His early novels were all amazing, kinda lost his way but really enjoyed Dr Sleep

superjack

Just finished reading the fools fate by Robin hobb again. Read all 3 trilogys about prince fitz chivalry one after the other. Wife and daughter looking at me wondering if I was crying during the last 2 chapters tonight, of course I was. Without a doubt, my favourite book series ever.

Rupert Pupkin

Rupert Pupkin

Also just finished this... Some startling revelations in it.. 

7A7B75B0-BE8C-4001-850C-7FF27C3CE60B.jpeg

superjack

Now started reading a series of books called the magelands epic. I think the author must either live in Edinburgh or at least have connections to it. Been reading the format book for a couple of days now and already there has been mention of slateford and juniper green. Not the actual aces we know, but somewhere fictitious in the books.

Starting to get into it quite quick as well.

Inspector Villiers

Just started Ken Follet's, The pillars of the earth. I've owned this book for about 10 years and keep putting it off due to (a) Its enormous and (b) its about the construction of a cathedral?

Marvin

I like King, but his books can be hit or miss. I really enjoyed  11.22.63 and my favourite is The Stand.