The what are you reading at the moment fred

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

I'd heard about the books on this thread a while back but never bothered with them at the time. Recently a mate of mine seen I was reading compulsion by shaun hutson and asked if I liked King. I'd never read anything of his before so he recommended the series. Started the first book last week, should be finished the second 1 by the end of the week.

What other Stephen King books would you recommend then?

I prefer King's early stuff, when he was still a hungry, young writer.  I recently re-read The Dead Zone, and loved it.  It's not out-and-out horror, but that's always been part of King's appeal ie he has the ability to cross genres.  I'm also a big fan of The Stand, but possibly because I was a teenager when I first read it and it was probably the first really long book (I think the 'complete' edition is over 1,000 pages).  I thought It was superb as a homage to the horror films that King would have grown up with and been influenced by, but there's a scene in it that I find disturbing in terms of why King chose to include it.  I won't go into it in case anyone's reading it, or intends to read it, but it's to do with the way the kids bond after tackling 'It'.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Haken

• dougal

• Gigolo-Aunt

• Coco

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I prefer King's early stuff, when he was still a hungry, young writer. I recently re-read The Dead Zone, and loved it. It's not out-and-out horror, but that's always been part of King's appeal ie he has the ability to cross genres. I'm also a big fan of The Stand, but possibly because I was a teenager when I first read it and it was probably the first really long book (I think the 'complete' edition is over 1,000 pages). I thought It was superb as a homage to the horror films that King would have grown up with and been influenced by, but there's a scene in it that I find disturbing in terms of why King chose to include it. I won't go into it in case anyone's reading it, or intends to read it, but it's to do with the way the kids bond after tackling 'It'.

I loved King up to It.Couldn't get into It at all and haven't read any of his books since.

• 2 weeks later...

Had to dig all the way down to page 10 for this thread.

Currently reading A Little Life by Hana Yanagihara.  Big book (720 pages) and I'm about 200 pages in.  I think it's got the potential to be the most depressing thing I've ever read, in a good way.  It's about four friends making their way through life in New York, though it concentrates mainly on one of the characters, Jude, whose early years (from what I've managed to gather so far) have been traumatic, to say the least.  This book has the potential to be genius; will let you know how it pans out on that front.

Well, I was half right - it was the most depressing thing I've ever read, but not in a good way.  Well written, but some of the stuff that happens feels so contrived, and the endless series of bad things that happens borders on the Lemony Snickets side of things.

Now onto Slade House by favourite author, David Mitchell.  Fairly short book and racing through it.  It's really good, with various references to his previous novel, The Bone Clocks.  If you haven't read The Bone Clocks (you should), it wouldn't spoil anything in Slade House.

Stuart Lyon

Two thirds the way through Untouchables all about corruption in the Met Police - jaw dropping stuff about Stephen Lawrence investigation and other serious crimes.

Now onto Slade House by favourite author, David Mitchell.  Fairly short book and racing through it.  It's really good, with various references to his previous novel, The Bone Clocks.  If you haven't read The Bone Clocks (you should), it wouldn't spoil anything in Slade House.

Slade House was decent without being brilliant.  Felt a bit like the out-takes from The Bone Clocks.

Anyhoo, now onto Mr Mercedes by the laddie King.  100 pages in and decent so far.

The White Cockade

Was stuck for something to read so picked up my wife's book Girl on a Train

Brilliant read couldn't put it down

Seconded.

I'm currently on holiday and got through it in about a day. Really enjoyed it.

Have also read Sharp Objects by Gillian Glynn (author of Gone Girl) which was entertaining enough.

Now on to Coffin Road by Peter May which is good so far.

Not exactly literary heavyweights but all very enjoyable.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Good holiday read, but felt it was a wee bit predictable?  It's been filmed and for some reason the film-makers have decided to set it in New York, though I think some English actress is playing The Girl.

Lancashire_Lou

Last book was Bradley Somer's Fish Bowl. I really enjoyed it; loved the interconnecting stories. Very 'Magnolia'.

Seconded.

I'm currently on holiday and got through it in about a day. Really enjoyed it.

Have also read Sharp Objects by Gillian Glynn (author of Gone Girl) which was entertaining enough.

Now on to Coffin Road by Peter May which is good so far.

Not exactly literary heavyweights but all very enjoyable.

Nothing the matter with not being exactly 'literary heavyweights'.  I always thought the point of reading was about enjoyment.  I'll read pretty much anything and couldn't give a toot if it's won the Booker or if it's been recommended by Richard and Judy.

Slade House was decent without being brilliant.  Felt a bit like the out-takes from The Bone Clocks.

Anyhoo, now onto Mr Mercedes by the laddie King.  100 pages in and decent so far.

Mr Mercedes was very good - not a horror but frightening all the same in depicting the carnage that individuals can do if they're so minded.

Now onto East of Eden by Steinbeck.  This has been on the shelf for ages.  I think I see it as a 'should read' rather than a 'want to' read.  Not too far in, but so far, so good.

I'm not a prolific reader but I go on the odd book binge. I just bought 3 HG Wells books, Time Machine, War of the Worlds and The first men in the moon. As well as Journey to the centre of the Earth, Jules Verne. Having just read I Am Legend, Richard Matheson, given up on Day of the Triffids, John Wyndham and still have Capricorn One (a novelisation) to start..it would be fair to say that I go for sci-fi and post apocalyptic genres.

I just need a kick up the bum to start.

Edited by Victorian

I'm not a prolific reader but I go on the odd book binge. I just bought 3 HG Wells books, Time Machine, War of the Worlds and The first men in the moon. As well as Journey to the centre of the Earth, Jules Verne. Having just read I Am Legend, Richard Matheson, given up on Day of the Triffids, John Wyndham and still have Capricorn One (a novelisation) to start..it would be fair to say that I go for sci-fi and post apocalyptic genres.

I just need a kick up the bum to start.

I'm a bit like yourself, go on little binges and tend to read a lot of old classics, as well as some more contemporary stuff.  Just finished reading The Phantom of the Opera, which I bought well over a year ago on one of my binges, but just never got around to reading it.  Really enjoyed it.

I'm a fan of HG Wells and Jules Verne, who you mention.  Also Joseph Conrad, who wrote The Secret Agent, just been serialised on BBC with Toby Jones in the lead role.

I also like old noir fiction, by the likes of Raymond Chandler, and in particular, Dashiell Hammett who wrote The Maltese Falcon and a handful of other great novels.  The Maltese Falcon is among my favourite movies (straying off topic) and while Humphrey Bogart was the headline star, Sydney Greenstreet and Peter Lorre were both excellent in their supporting roles.

I am reading roger moore's autobiography my word is my bond it is great for james bond fans and he is probably one of the nicest men in show business. I saw his one man show a couple of years ago he was fantastic and in my eyes the best james bond.

Just about to start Grapes of Wrath by Steinbeck. Of Mice and Men in my top 3 books of all time.

Going to revisit 1984 soon for the first time since school, after recently seeing an excellent theatre production.

Konrad von Carstein

I am re-reading The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the unbeliever by Stephan R Donaldson.

When I read the first book there was only one but so many people encouraged him to write more that he ended up writing six.

When the next book would come out you would see many people walking about with their faces buried in them.

**** your pokemon go. :pleased:

I read these years ago, addictive!

Stephane Grappelli

Just about to start Grapes of Wrath by Steinbeck. Of Mice and Men in my top 3 books of all time.

Going to revisit 1984 soon for the first time since school, after recently seeing an excellent theatre production.

The Grapes of Wrath is brilliant. Have you read East of Eden? I'd thoroughly recommend it too. In my opinion it's better than Of Mice and Men and The Grapes of Wrath.

The Grapes of Wrath is brilliant. Have you read East of Eden? I'd thoroughly recommend it too. In my opinion it's better than Of Mice and Men and The Grapes of Wrath.

Will go on my list now. Read OMAM few years back, finally getting round to other works.

I read Of Mice and Men for the first time just a few months ago.  How brilliant is that book? 

I did 1984 for my Higher English (or was it O Grade?  Can't remember).  I read it to the end, went back to the start, read it again etc etc.  Think I read it about 7 times in a row.

I've just finished reading Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert.  Really, really good.

I'll probably read something a bit shorter and easier next.  I like to mix up what I'm reading.

Will go on my list now. Read OMAM few years back, finally getting round to other works.

I'm just over half way through East of Eden.  It's tremendous and am now wondering why it's taken me so long to get round to reading it.

I took a break from Stephen King and read the blade artist recently. Not as good as I thought it would be but I persevered as I wanted to see what happened to begbie. The last paragraph in the book made it worthwhile I thought.

I read Of Mice and Men for the first time just a few months ago. How brilliant is that book?

I did 1984 for my Higher English (or was it O Grade? Can't remember). I read it to the end, went back to the start, read it again etc etc. Think I read it about 7 times in a row.

I've just finished reading Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert. Really, really good.

I'll probably read something a bit shorter and easier next. I like to mix up what I'm reading.

OMAM is short book too, not a wasted word.

Can't remember too much detail from 1984 the book, but the show I went to see put a great spin on the nature of the story, who it was written by and to what purpose, based upon the presence of the Appendix. Thought about it in a whole new way.

I just finished Unbroken. An incredible story about an American Olympian who gets caught by the Japanese in WW2. What those poor men went through in these camps is truely horrifying but it is a brilliant read. Would 100% recommend it for anyone who is interested in the war.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

Just finished:

Digging up mother - doug Stanhope

If you're a stanhope fan, buy it. If not consider it, very funny and tells the story of them helping his mum kill herself beautifully.

Do androids dream of electric sheep -philip k dick - great read, not seen the film (blade runner) but want to. Was a really good read fully recommended.

A clockwork orange - Anthony burgess - not a fan tbh. The amount of slang made it difficult to get in to and i didn't feel it was that immersive. Won't be watching the film.

Demian - Herman Hesse - sorted a lot out in my mind, wouls reccomend to all. A good story even without the morality and tale of abraxas.

Venture With Ideas: Meetings With Gurdjieff And Ouspensky - kenneth walker - very interesting, to be read slowly to absorb it properly. Glad I read it after the above book.

Ernest hemingway - a call to arms - a good book, but nothing more, not sure why it's treated so reverentially, though i felt similar about the old man and the sea, so maybe i just don't get it.

Next up:

A portrait of an artist as a young man by james Joyce.

Edited by GforGallo

A mate was telling me about an author yesterday but I can't remember the name. One of the books was about someone who turned oil rigs into holiday destinations. Whilst a right had a bunch of news on holiday there it was hijacked by a bunch of terrorists. Said the book was funny. Can anyone help me please?

Edited by superjack

The White Cockade

Cry, the Beloved Country by Alan Paton. Powerful, heart wrenching stuff.

Yes, read my copy a number of times

Very moving

Also have the Sydney Poitier DVD which is well worth a watch

A mate was telling me about an author yesterday but I can't remember the name. One of the books was about someone who turned oil rigs into holiday destinations. Whilst a right bunch of neds were on holiday there it was hijacked by a bunch of terrorists. Said the book was funny. Can anyone help me please?

Had to fix my poor English there.

MacDonald Jardine

A mate was telling me about an author yesterday but I can't remember the name. One of the books was about someone who turned oil rigs into holiday destinations. Whilst a right had a bunch of news on holiday there it was hijacked by a bunch of terrorists. Said the book was funny. Can anyone help me please?

Christopher Brookmyre. Well worth reading.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

That's the name I was trying to remember.

The war of art, the anti procrastination bible.

So what're you putting off to read that then?

Title is: One fine day in the middle of the night

Edited by Hugh Phamism

Craig Gordons Gloves

Title is: One fine day in the middle of the night

Brookmyre generally doesn't write bad books but this is one of his best.  Up there with "A Tale Etched in Blood and Hard Black Pencil"

Just finished reading the 1st 4 Denzil Meyrick books about DCI Daley.  Enjoyable reads. 

Paul Beatty The Sellout, nominated for the Manbooker prize but thought it was very disappointing.

Just started The Scottish Nation by Tom Devine, been meaning to read this for a while now and finally getting round to it.

Now onto East of Eden by Steinbeck.  This has been on the shelf for ages.  I think I see it as a 'should read' rather than a 'want to' read.  Not too far in, but so far, so good.

I don't know why it took me so long to get round to reading East of Eden.  It's an absolutely superb book.

And now for something completely different, I have started Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.  I picked this up on spec from Blackwell's because (1) I was looking for a third book to make up the old 3 for 2 offer and (2) it was in the horror section where the second of my three books was selected from.  Despite being in the horror section, at 72 pages in I'm pretty sure it's aimed more at young adults.  That's not a bad thing (some of the best books I've read in recent years have been 'young adult fiction').  It's pretty quirky, mixing first person prose with illustrative photography.  The main protagonist has just made the journey from southern Florida to an island off the coast of Wales where Miss P's school is located.  It's fairly decent so far.

I don't know why it took me so long to get round to reading East of Eden. It's an absolutely superb book.

And now for something completely different, I have started Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. I picked this up on spec from Blackwell's because (1) I was looking for a third book to make up the old 3 for 2 offer and (2) it was in the horror section where the second of my three books was selected from. Despite being in the horror section, at 72 pages in I'm pretty sure it's aimed more at young adults. That's not a bad thing (some of the best books I've read in recent years have been 'young adult fiction'). It's pretty quirky, mixing first person prose with illustrative photography. The main protagonist has just made the journey from southern Florida to an island off the coast of Wales where Miss P's school is located. It's fairly decent so far.

That's out as a film soon if not already, daughter keen to see it.

If you've not read then already, Phillip Pullman, His Dark Materials trilogy is excellent. Film The Golden Compass was based on the first book, but was poor supposedly. Heard the Beeb are looking to make a version, which if by some of their other efforts I'm hoping will do it proper justice.

That's out as a film soon if not already, daughter keen to see it.

If you've not read then already, Phillip Pullman, His Dark Materials trilogy is excellent. Film The Golden Compass was based on the first book, but was poor supposedly. Heard the Beeb are looking to make a version, which if by some of their other efforts I'm hoping will do it proper justice.

I've read the Dark Materials and can confirm that the first book was much better than the film adaptation.  Pullman's themes on religion, informed by his atheism, were allegedly deemed too heavy for the film, and it was rumoured that Nicole Kidman would have refused to play her part if those elements hadn't been suitably edited.

I think the film of Miss P is the latest from Tim Burton?  Seems his sort of thing from what I've read so far.

Psychedelicropcircle

So what're you putting off to read that then?

Quite a bit into this and I think the book has been written about me the amount of times That Wee voice says ****ing help that's you

And now for something completely different, I have started Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.  I picked this up on spec from Blackwell's because (1) I was looking for a third book to make up the old 3 for 2 offer and (2) it was in the horror section where the second of my three books was selected from.  Despite being in the horror section, at 72 pages in I'm pretty sure it's aimed more at young adults.  That's not a bad thing (some of the best books I've read in recent years have been 'young adult fiction').  It's pretty quirky, mixing first person prose with illustrative photography.  The main protagonist has just made the journey from southern Florida to an island off the coast of Wales where Miss P's school is located.  It's fairly decent so far.

Finished Miss P.  It's a decent bit of fun, but there are gaping holes in it throughout.  Not a waste of money, but I don't think I'll bother with the other two books in the series.

Now onto NOS4RT by Joe Hill.  Didn't realise when I bought it that he's Stephen King's son.  And it's apparent that the apple hasn't fallen far from the tree.  Good stuff so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished NOS4R2. Loved it. Great fun. Will definitely read more by Mr Hill. I bought his book 'Horns' yesterday, but...

...am now onto 'A God in Ruins' by Kate Atkinson.

• 3 weeks later...

Finished NOS4R2. Loved it. Great fun. Will definitely read more by Mr Hill. I bought his book 'Horns' yesterday, but...

...am now onto 'A God in Ruins' by Kate Atkinson.

Finished A God in Ruins - thouroughly decent but not as good as Life After Life.

And now onto The Girl With All the Gifts by M R Carey.  Really good so far.

Just started A Life too Short, the book about Robert Enke.

Think it's going to be a tough read.