• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Haken

• dougal

• Gigolo-Aunt

• Coco

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Finished 'When we Were Orphans'. Really good but then Ishiguro doesn't do bad.

Complete change of style required, so just about to read Stephen King's 'Revival'. Used to love King but went off him a bit with some of his later stuff.

Quite enjoyed Revival.  King's always been a good story-teller.  The ending's a bit 'meh'.  But at least not as bad as the worst ending ever that he managed for The Dark Rower series.

Now reading The Illuminaries.  Big book, won the Booker in 2013.  It gets pretty average reviews on Amazon but I'm enjoying it alright so far.

revival-stephen-king.jpg

A tale of a young boy and his new minister and the bond they form and their experiments with electricity.

This 372 page book is actually not bad. Half way through I did get concerned that it was going to be shit but the author pulled it back. Tbh it wouldn't have done any harm had the book been 100 pages longer.

7.5/10

Edited by Marvin

Half way through "A Tale Of Two Seasons"

Excellent book, although the authors insistence on referring to Callum Patterson as C-Patz is starting to annoy me! Well written and informative though. Essential reading for every Jambo.

revival-stephen-king.jpg

A tale of a young boy and his new minister and the bond they form and their experiments with electricity.

This 372 page book is actually not bad. Half way through I did get concerned that it was going to be shit but the author pulled it back. Tbh it wouldn't have done any harm had the book been 100 pages longer.

7.5/10

If he'd written it 15 years ago it would have been double the length.

Quite enjoyed Revival.  King's always been a good story-teller.  The ending's a bit 'meh'.  But at least not as bad as the worst ending ever that he managed for The Dark Rower series.

Now reading The Illuminaries.  Big book, won the Booker in 2013.  It gets pretty average reviews on Amazon but I'm enjoying it alright so far.

Disagree; worst ending is Needful Things which spoiled a really good story. As with Revival....

do not open if you intend to read the book...

I though the ending was a little thought provoking which made me think was Jamie Morton in the secure unit the whole time???

Edited by Marvin

Disagree; worst ending is Needful Things which spoiled a really good story. As with Revival....

do not open if you intend to read the book...

I though the ending was a little thought provoking which made me think was Jamie Morton in the secure unit the whole time???

The ending to Needful Things only spoiled one book; the ending to The Dark Tower (not to be confused with The Dark Rower) spoiled a whole series.

Your theory wasn't one that occurred to me (that doesn't mean you're wrong!).  I found that final chapter rather poignant, given who it is that he is there looking after.  My original comment was more to do with the Frankenstein-meets-Lovecraft scene.  King's always been brilliant - the best - at building things up; he hasn't always delivered.  You mention Needful Things; you could add It to that, and I'd include The Tommyknockers

Two books I read on holiday recently which I thought were superb  reads - 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Killer-Little-Shepherds-Forensic-Science-ebook/dp/B004K1E4XE/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1445026581&sr=1-1&keywords=little+shepherds

Amazing story of the hunt & conviction of the French "Jack the Ripper" and the birth of modern forensics.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/1776-America-Britain-at-War/dp/0141021713/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1445026660&sr=1-1&keywords=1776

How Britain lost America despite having more troops , better troops and kicking the Yankees all over the states. But George Washington got lucky and won , against all the odds. Fascinating story .

Edited by 269miles

The man in the high castle by Philip k. Dick.

Not his usual subject matter. The axis have won world war 2 and the USA has been split into 3. Quite good but I've been stuck on the same page for the last 2 months cos I always fall asleep!

Not his usual subject matter. The axis have won world war 2 and the USA has been split into 3. Quite good but I've been stuck on the same page for the last 2 months cos I always fall asleep!

I bought that a while ago but still haven't read it! That'll be next after Mr Smiley.

Edited by Jambos_1874

Psychedelicropcircle

Reading a book Aftershock just started but it goes into the history of PTSD and young soldiers through the ages. Will post when finished.

I interrupted my reading of 'The Luminaries' to read 'A Tale of Two Seasons'.  There's been a couple of threads in The Terrace about this match by match account of the two seasons preceding the current one.  It's a great read that I'd recommend to all Jambos.  Some genuinely funny moments in it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Peter Carey's Illywhacker, the picaresque story of the life and loves of an entertainer, aviator, car salesman and con-man rolled into one in early 20th century Australia. What a brilliant writer Carey is. I've had Oscar and Lucinda on the shelves for about 20 years now, so it's going to be next up.

Half way through "A Tale Of Two Seasons"

Excellent book, although the authors insistence on referring to Callum Patterson as C-Patz is starting to annoy me! Well written and informative though. Essential reading for every Jambo.

FFS.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished The Luminaries and thought it was excellent, though I think there was probably lots if clever astrological stuff in it that went right over my head.

About half way through The Well which is one of the current batch Richard and Judy books.  Near future story about an oasis in an otherwise drought hit Britain.  It's okay.  It's the sort of thing I'd expect my Mrs to watch in a five-part hour long evening slot, with Suranne Jones playing the main character, 

Edited by Haken

Finished The Well and it was only okay. 

Now reading Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere.  Never read any of his stuff before and really enjoying it.

Carl Fredrickson

Currently working my way through books by Doug Johnston. A couple are linked but most of them are stand alone. Crime/thriller books but not from the police view. A couple involve journalists, or folk near or involved in the crimes. 

Most of them are Edinburgh based and though not up there with the Rankins of this world, still enjoyable with lots of well known places used in them. 

I like Scottish or UK crime books but I think I will be starting to struggle to unearth new authors soon as I have read loads. Always check out this thread for authors I hadnt heard of (recently read all the Gordon Ferris books)

Just finished, in a week of nearly missing my stops off the bus because I was too engrossed in my kindle edition of "Swim Until You Can't See Land" by Catriona Child (Eilidh's Big/Wee sister).

Story told in alternating chapters of a girl, maybe 20, who has to come to terms with a career ending injury as an international standard swimmer (Catriona used to swim competitively at University standard but never had the drive/will of her sister to take it to the next stage) and a somewhat mysterious old lady who collapses in the shop where the girl now works who turns out to be a member of the SOE (a spy in other words) in France during the war and gets captured and tortured, those bits are written as factually as possible and are quite harrowing as they are supposed to. She used this girls story for inspiration   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eileen_Nearne

My only criticism is that the ending was a bit abrupt having invested a lot in how the main character was doing a little more exposition as to her future would have been nice.

Catriona also previously wrote  "Trackman" another very good read especially for a first time author.

Craig Gordons Gloves

Just finished "Even Dogs in the Wild" - the latest Rebus book by Ian Rankin.

I thoroughly enjoyed it.  I was most pissed off when it ended.

I'm also now going through the entire Christopher Brookmyre catalog.  I've read them all but saw something on twitter where someone had talked about never having read them and they were starting at the beginning.  I forgot how good "One Fine Day in the Middle of the Night" is. 

• 2 weeks later...

Finished Neverwhere and thouroughly enjoyed it.  Stephen King crossed with Clive Barker = Neil Gaiman.

Now onto Uglies by Scott Westerfeld.  No, not a book about Hibs fans; it's another of these 'Young Adult' dystopian efforts where everyone is given cosmetic surgery at the age of 16 to make them 'pretty'.  Hinger Games-ish. I'd say.

Just finished the last of the zomblog series. Only read the first one as I had nothing to read and my kindle was dead.

Expected it to be a kids or teens book. It was actually very addictive. The main story isn't really the zombies, but about people trying to survive and form a community after the apocalypse.

Just finished the last of the zomblog series. Only read the first one as I had nothing to read and my kindle was dead.

Expected it to be a kids or teens book. It was actually very addictive. The main story isn't really the zombies, but about people trying to survive and form a community after the apocalypse.

I like a lot of the 'young adult fiction stuff' now and again.  Stuff like The Hunger Games, Michael Grant's 'Gone' series and Patrick Ness's 'Chaos Walking' (fantastic trilogy exploring the concept of terrorism).  These writers know that their competing with stuff like app-loaded phones and ipads and know that their stories have to hit hard and hit fast to retain 'young adults'' interest.

• 2 weeks later...

revival-stephen-king.jpg

7.5/10

NEver knew this thread existed!  Anyway, I read this four months ago, absolutely the worst Stephen King I have ever read, then I followed it up with Pratchetts last book, which was also awful.... Reread; catcher in the rye and of mice and men... equally bad, got bored of dante aligheiri, so reading all of Pratchetts 'watch' books from guards guards onwards :)

Edited by lauriesrank

Now moved onto Robin Hobbs the fools assassin. Apart from the live ship traders trilogy, I don't think I've read a book of hers I've not loved.

Now moved onto Robin Hobbs the fools assassin. Apart from the live ship traders trilogy, I don't think I've read a book of hers I've not loved.

One of the other posters above was also on the Robin Hobb stuff.  She is really good.  I liked the Live Ship books, but agree that the Fool books are better.

I've finished Uglies and have moved straight onto the next one in the series, Pretties.  Really easy reads and very entertaining.  Quite a clever attack on the obsession with beauty. 

Just started reading "the man in the high castle" taking a bit to get into it tho, anyone read it ? If so does it pick up the pace ?

• 2 weeks later...

3 months later , still trying! [emoji1]

Just started reading "the man in the high castle" taking a bit to get into it tho, anyone read it ? If so does it pick up the pace ?

ha ha, see above.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished the latest Rebus book and it turned out to be one of the best in a fairly long time.  Very current.

Now onto Specials, the third in Westerfeld's series about young people and image.

Tommiwastheboss

In order to live by Yeonmi Park

about a young girl growing up in North Korea and her subsequent escape before her and her mother fall into the hands of Chinese traffickers

Edited by Tommiwastheboss

Fitzroy Pointon

299233.jpg

Half way through and it has been a good read so far.  Just got to the bit where he got arrested and offered immunity so interested to see what happens next.  

just finished this;

61BXG91zvnL._AA160_.jpg

very entertaining - a bit of a mash up of "The Second Coming" (discussed on here before) and "Dogma". Not for the feint hearted or those who are offended by blasphemy!

• 2 weeks later...

Just started

tumblr_inline_n9gixi1TKa1qbhahq.jpg

I read that book a few years ago and absolutely loved it. JJ Abrams' production company has made it into a miniseries, which will be out soon. They actually filmed some of it in our village last summer. Our main street was transformed into early 60s US for a little while, with vintage cars and old shopfronts.

Just finished Ian Rankin's Even dogs in the wild, Latest Rebus book is a very good read.

Edited by argyjambo

Finished the latest Rebus book and it turned out to be one of the best in a fairly long time.  Very current.

Now onto Specials, the third in Westerfeld's series about young people and image.

I just finished the new Rebus book last week and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a shame, though, that we're nearing the end of Rebus. The age of the character and the fact that Rankin writes the stories in 'real time' in terms of character aging means that there will surely only be one or two to go. There could be more short stories, but I assume that the full books will move onto Fox being the main character, along with Clarke. Hopefully when the time comes, Rebus will sign off with a great story - he's been a great character.

Finished Specials and, all in all, a very enjoyable, easy-to-read, trilogy.

I then went on to some dross called The Templar's Code, which is Dan Brown-lite, if you can imagine such a thing.  The fact that the apostrophe is in the wrong place should have been a warning.  The main character is a Templar 'expert' and ex-MI5 agent.  He must have taken a sore bump to the head, because he's quite obviously forgotten every bit of MI5 tradecraft he ever learned, leaving a trail behind him that a blind goat with a bad cold could follow.  I got about half way through before deciding that there are too many other books to be read without wasting any more time on this.

Back to the bookshelf when I get home tonight.

I just finished the new Rebus book last week and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a shame, though, that we're nearing the end of Rebus. The age of the character and the fact that Rankin writes the stories in 'real time' in terms of character aging means that there will surely only be one or two to go. There could be more short stories, but I assume that the full books will move onto Fox being the main character, along with Clarke. Hopefully when the time comes, Rebus will sign off with a great story - he's been a great character.

I think Rankin has been quite astute in realising that Fox wasn't quite working as a Rebus replacement.  Embedding Fox in the 'Rebus world' has, I think, allowed Rebus fans to grow more sympathetic to Fox.  I think you're right in that new books will start to see Rebus taking more and more of a back seat.

Carl Fredrickson

Rebus books have been a pleasure and a joy for many years. I remember reading the early ones, trying to guess where places were based on. The annual anticipation of the new book release was agonising. The reads, more often than not were great but the disappointment of knowing it would be a year until the next one.

Hopefully Rankin can squeeze out another couple of Rebus books - possibly my all time favourite character in a series of books.

Back on topic, just finished reading The Crazy Gang by Dave Basset and Wally Downes. About the rise of Wimbledon and interviews with loads of players. A great read with a lot of it still fresh in my memory and Andy Thorn has some nice things to say about Hearts.

Now onto Springsteen On Springsteen by Jeff Burger. A collection of interviews with Bruce over the last 40 years. I got two very similar books for Christmas about Bruce and this is the first i have read. A decent read that explains a lot about his writing, recording and touring.